Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

getting a weird message when I use Firefox on both mobile and Pc

4 posters

Go down

getting a weird message when I use Firefox on both mobile and Pc Empty getting a weird message when I use Firefox on both mobile and Pc

Post by Adley Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:53 pm

It says:

Request limit exceeded

It appears that your computer has made too many requests on the same page recently. Please make sure your antivirus is up to date.

If you have any questions about this message, feel free to contact the support

And I cannot access the page further or reload it to something new. I don't know if it's a virus or some glitch or what but it seems to be ok for now when I'm using Chrome. I cleared my history and cache so it can't be too many tokens. It mentioning antivirus is always suspich of course.

Adley

Back to top Go down

getting a weird message when I use Firefox on both mobile and Pc Empty Re: getting a weird message when I use Firefox on both mobile and Pc

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:56 pm

I got the same message when I just waited the page loaded as it should. I do not know what it is to be honest.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

getting a weird message when I use Firefox on both mobile and Pc Empty Re: getting a weird message when I use Firefox on both mobile and Pc

Post by Adley Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Well it might be a glitch on the forum server end, or we might be near our alloted bandwidth, but perhaps it will resolve itself. Fingers crossed.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:24 pm

What would near the alloted bandwith mean? I ahve to start looking for a form that allow us to store more posts?
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm inclined to guess it was a server glitch or something. Got the same message on my phone a little over an hour ago.
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Hopefully it is a server glitch and things will sort itself out. Nicole's player knows more than me about how many posts we can have on here, but I would think it should be more than a little over 20 000, a post do not take allot of space to store after all.

Also guys remember to copy your posts before sending them, especially long ones since if it do not post properly the post gets lost, it do not return to the tekst but load the page all over again so to save on frustration copy your post before posting.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:17 pm

I've seen forums using same phpbb and forumotion with over ten times the posts of this one - so it is not that.

I am not getting this on my Firefox, and only once got this message before - and that was ages ago. Only help I can say here is that check the 'usual suspects'; flush history, update Javascript etc.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Do you know if there is a upper cap of how many posts we can have?

I use Firefox and got it once but the forum have worked well since, though I got a can't load page on my phone this morning but when I refreshed it came up no problem.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:27 pm

'Rhode Island by Night' got over 220k, and that died because the software got so old the Admin Panel stopped working correctly - not 'too many posts'.

Therefore, you don't need to worry about an upper post limit until at least the 2030's [if current rates continue].
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Thank you, well that is one less worry at least. Very Happy
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Though it is worthwhile to check every now and then whether 'support' for this model of phpBB is going to end. When it does, it may be an idea to 'migrate' the board to the newer edition.

There's a method in your Admin panel for doing this; if this issue comes up, I will be able to talk you through it as I'll also have to do the same on my board...
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:27 pm

Agreed I did not even know there where models of these forums. Thank you I appriciate the help if the issue comes up.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 am

Well, there's various version of the phpBB software used; you can find out yours by going to: Admin Panel > Display > Choose a theme > Version.

Though I wouldn't bother; it only says 'phpBB 3' [which is the format used since '08]. Chances are we both run phpBB 3.1 [one iteration behind the current edition].

For the record, issues with forum server bandwidth on provider's end are shown by the white screen, 'black spinning circles' and the 6/7/8 [I forget which] numbers below it. Forum software complaining about that is 'load limit reached'. Lack of server space is 'resource limit reached'. And the Great One would get a warning about the last long before any of us did.

This 'request limit' is a new one to me. I may have seen it before, but never really had it enough to remember it. My theory is that for some unknown reason your Firefoxes are sending loads of page requests, which made the standard gate fall down to stop it. The 'check your antivirus' is a bog-standard warning from sites which are experiencing heavy traffic - they think they're coming under a distributed denial-of-service attack [DDoS] and some spyware has hijacked your device.

Therefore, my old advice stands; flush Firefox, check all your extensions [such as Javascript] and update if needed.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:12 am

Yeah I dunno, but glad it resolved itself - I had already dumped my cache and so on for Firefox and tried Chrome. When I did that, it may have just been when it started to work again. Wasn't the only one getting it, which is what I was wondering in case it was some issue on my end. And now it seems fine. Though all of that makes sense, and was what I was wondering as well, that for some reason it thought I was spamming the page. Thanks for all the info though : )

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:34 am

Thank you I will look into it. I have not gotten any warnings about anything or any communications from the forum provider at all. I will do that. My computer crashed while running firefox on Youtube today so it might be the problem indeed. I have not had any more problems on this forum though. Yeah thank you for the info Nicole's player have an free exp for the help.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 am

If you get 'Request Limit Reached' again, try Firefox in Private Browsing [File > New Private Window]. If you still get it, more likely that it's Firefox itself fault. I've been using phpBB pretty much every day since mid '14 with Firefox [various forums, all of them pbp games] which makes me a tad suspicious at any claims it's the browser's fault.

It may have been the fault of a particular ad being shown at the time, though; however I wouldn't notice that at all as I run a hacked hosts file which means 95% of ads simply come up as a blank box. [Occasionally they have a 'reload page frequently' script in it which causes issues].

I am unsure how the forum provider would contact us if needs be; assume it's an email. For the record, we get 20MB of 'attachment space' [images, avatars etc] and 'almost limitless' database space [aka the threads and posts etc]. You can get around the former by using Servimg hosting for images / banning users uploading images here except little avatars.

Oooh, XP. Perhaps I should get Computer with that?
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Getting computer with the points would be a interesting touch.

By the way is there anywhere I can find a link to mail forumation support, there seam to be a nasty add on the forum that sends Warp to a you have won so and so just give us your info so we can scam you site when he use the forum on his mail and I would like to ask their help in getting rid of it, unless they actually allow clearly scam adds that it.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Oh that's true, I've had that ad problem happen with another board! It kept flooding the page with reloads/requests and it crashed the shit out of it and we kept getting odd errors. I have an adblocker on my PC but not mobile, but yes that's a possibility. For that board, we had to remove or block the ad, support told us how to do it. Haha, getting computer with the XP seems appropriate ; ) Yes, sometimes using private browsing on FFox does seem to help, not this time.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30 pm

There isn't an actual email location you can send complaints to, but a thread at the 'forum for forums' [http://help.forumotion.com/t155321-only-topic-inappropriate-ads].

Normally, they're somewhat hot on getting rid of real dodgy ads, as they've learned such things a) annoy forum admins to consider leaving the provider and b) encourages folk to install adblockers.

There is a fairly simple way for Warp to end this solution: to edit his Hosts file to ban the goodle-ad page which displays all of the said ads. It's what I did with mine.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:56 pm

Not so easy for me, since the problem occurred on my phone, not on my home or work desktop. Razz
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Android phones have a hosts file that can be edited. Can't comment on the others.

Getting an adblocker for said phone may also work.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 pm

I can write a post on that forum however then I probably need to know the exact name of the add in question for if I do not know that then the forum organizers will probably have a hard time finding it and removing it so Warp if you can give a detailed description of the problem I can post it to that help thread or you can post there with the name of the add and such.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:46 pm

The problem is that the forum page tries to load, but before I even get the page of posts, the browser goes on to some ad server, via a couple of addresses daisy-chained together, and stops at a popup telling me to press OK to get an iPhone X. Afraid I can't give you more details, since my response was to attempt to backpedal (a futile effort), followed by closing the tab and opening a new one.
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:51 pm

sounds like a redirect thing that's hijacking you Warp. I usually close down the whole thing too, really the only thing to do, then clean browser history. That's annoying I get them too sometimes D: I haven't found a good adblocker for my android yet, so I'm taking suggestions.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:58 am

I will try to make a post about that on the help forum and see if anyone have a solution.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down