Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mirror Man, Nicolai's Plans and The Grimoire IC Thread 11

4 posters

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

The Mirror Man, Nicolai's Plans and The Grimoire IC Thread 11 - Page 22 Empty Re: The Mirror Man, Nicolai's Plans and The Grimoire IC Thread 11

Post by Warpmind Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:49 am

Colin smiled wryly, "I believe some of the questions might be related to vampire society in general, as opposed to specifics to the current Chicago situation, but if he is in France, that issue is probably not going to be pressed. And no, I don't find you rude; I rather did open the subject and invite questions, so getting offended now would be rather hypocritical of me."
He grinned, "And as examples of damaged goods, I seem to recall learning about two of the American Presidents over the past century - Franklin Roosevelt, who despite being crippled by Polio stood as a pillar during World War Two, and Ike Eisenhower, who fought in the war, and as president commented how much he hated war... Some emerge from their personal crucible greatly improved."
He smiled at the message, and replied, "We'll need to talk about this in more detail when I get home. Also, my Avatar molted like a crab; I'm sure you'll want to examine it, and weigh in on a hypothesis of mine."
He rose, feeling a bit rejuvenated, took a small sip of the water in the spring, cheerfully whistling "Concerning Hobbits" as he strolled upstairs to the sitting room.

((OOC: Oh, hey, new mugshot, s7rif3?))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

The Mirror Man, Nicolai's Plans and The Grimoire IC Thread 11 - Page 22 Empty Re: The Mirror Man, Nicolai's Plans and The Grimoire IC Thread 11

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:12 am

Colin smiled wryly, "I believe some of the questions might be related to vampire society in general, as opposed to specifics to the current Chicago situation, but if he is in France, that issue is probably not going to be pressed.

"I do have quite a few contacts in vampire society in this city though so even if my husband lives in France, I can probably ask questions of some of the others if that will be helpful?"
Kristina offered.

nd no, I don't find you rude; I rather did open the subject and invite questions, so getting offended now would be rather hypocritical of me."

"I am glad Mr Wainwright, I would not want to make you uncomfortable."
The Verbena said kindly.

He grinned, "And as examples of damaged goods, I seem to recall learning about two of the American Presidents over the past century - Franklin Roosevelt, who despite being crippled by Polio stood as a pillar during World War Two, and Ike Eisenhower, who fought in the war, and as president commented how much he hated war... Some emerge from their personal crucible greatly improved."

"I agree often a person need to having have faced some harsh realities and having had to face themselves in a way only a crisis will cause to reach that point where you really can grow."
The Verbena said.
"There is a reason why the Hermetics speak of the Abyss that have to be crossed before one can reach enlightenment."

He smiled at the message, and replied, "We'll need to talk about this in more detail when I get home. Also, my Avatar molted like a crab; I'm sure you'll want to examine it, and weigh in on a hypothesis of mine."

You get a message back.
"Your Avatar did what? Now that is quite interesting, yes indeed I would like to examine it but are you all right Mr Wainwright. And yes we can discuss your question in greater details when you come back."

He rose, feeling a bit rejuvenated, took a small sip of the water in the spring, cheerfully whistling "Concerning Hobbits" as he strolled upstairs to the sitting room.

You move up to the sitting room and you see Kristina on her way down the corridor.
"Ah Mr Wainwright, Mr Roth Hicks asked if we could meet in the classroom five doors down the hall, I am on my way to fetch Isabella."
She said and pointed down the hall.
"I think your Cabalmate had a call he wanted to make."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:29 am

Colin nodded, "I'm sure Adley would find that useful."
He grimaced, "A crisis, quite... like a Nephandus with a gilgul spell on a hair trigger... I really wish I could remember precisely what my Avatar did to defend itself; that sort of thing might become useful later. Then again, remembering that would probably also mean remembering the exact circumstances, which would likely be a little more unpleasant..."

He grinned at the text message, "It is, in fact, stronger than ever, though there's an itch like you wouldn't believe; hardly strange, I suppose."

He nodded to Kristina, "Ah, very good. I'll be checking in on the sitting room, in any case. Thank you."
He stepped inside the sitting room and glanced around, and asked in a soft voice so as to not wake Liv, "Everything alright here?"
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:55 am

Colin nodded, "I'm sure Adley would find that useful."

"Very well I will create a list of who we might contact."
Kristina said and nodded.

He grimaced, "A crisis, quite... like a Nephandus with a gilgul spell on a hair trigger... I really wish I could remember precisely what my Avatar did to defend itself; that sort of thing might become useful later. Then again, remembering that would probably also mean remembering the exact circumstances, which would likely be a little more unpleasant..."

"Mr Wainwright anything that have a Gilgul spell on a hair trigger is unpleasant and if I had been the attempted target for such rote I am not sure I would want to remember the details, that sounds like nightmare fuel to me, that being said an effective defense against such magick would be quite useful so well you have a bit of a dilemma there my good man."
The Verbena said and looked a little pale, well paler.

He grinned at the text message, "It is, in fact, stronger than ever, though there's an itch like you wouldn't believe; hardly strange, I suppose."

You get a message back.
"Quite fascinating, well try to not over strain it and I will have a look at it when you get home...tell me Mr Wainwright are you Primordial? They are the ones that always pull the weird stunts."

He nodded to Kristina, "Ah, very good. I'll be checking in on the sitting room, in any case. Thank you."

Kristina gave you a smile.
"Very well I will see you in a moment then, I just need to check on my kids and go and find Isabella."
The Verbena gave you a polite nod and then was on her way down the corridor.

He stepped inside the sitting room and glanced around, and asked in a soft voice so as to not wake Liv, "Everything alright here?"

Francesca looked up when you came in.
"Yes everything is fine Colin, Liv is sleeping and Adley is on the phone."
She said in a soft, low voice not to disturb anyone.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:59 am

Colin sighed, "Dilemma indeed... Well, I might be able to piece together some basic ideas... I know my repertoire is limited, so I would suspect it was some very basic energy redirection trick. I... would rather not remember too much of the pain I felt when the spell hit me, though."

He replied, "Pattern, actually, or so I'm told. It had a very logical reason, I believe - I will explain when I'm back."

He nodded to Francesca, "And you? Holding up well in our absence?"
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:50 pm

Colin sighed, "Dilemma indeed... Well, I might be able to piece together some basic ideas... I know my repertoire is limited, so I would suspect it was some very basic energy redirection trick. I... would rather not remember too much of the pain I felt when the spell hit me, though."

"Well often simple rotes can do amazing things, it is often more to do with creativity that raw power. One of the mages of Gary is this young Virtual Adept and his talents as a mage is quite limited, but he knows how to use what little he got and there are few I would rather have at my side in a fight."
Kristina said then she gave you a sympathetic look.
"Yeah I had to have some Paradox that had hardened and become permanent removed some years ago...damage to the Avatar is most, unpleasant."
She said and shivered.
"If I where in your shoes Mr Wainwright I would not want to remember the pain of it either, then again a viable defense against...that...rote would be most valuable, especially a defense that a lower ranked mage could use and not just a Adept or a Master of the Art, you could earn a healthy sum selling instruction in such a defense."

He replied, "Pattern, actually, or so I'm told. It had a very logical reason, I believe - I will explain when I'm back."

You get a reply back.
"I have never heard of a Pattern soul doing such a thing, most interesting. Yes let us talk when you get back Mr Wainwright, now I need to go and do my job and check on my patients, good luck and stay safe."

He nodded to Francesca, "And you? Holding up well in our absence?"

"I am well Colin, I am more concerned with you guys."
Francesca said but it was clear that she was worried about Freddy, members of the same Cabal usually got close and she and the young technomancer where of the same age, both had alternative clothing styles and liked many of the same things so chances where they where good friends.
"And you Colin how are you holding up?"
She asked.

(OOC: Sorry for the late reply I needed to get my butt in gear and go and do something so I dropped by the local psychiatric day center for coffee and arts and crafts. Smile )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Colin smiled smugly, "Quite so - I may not have the power of a Master of Prime, but I figured out how to use solid tass to fuel a spell without channeling it through myself. It has virtually limitless potential applications, but the first and foremost is that now a humble Initiate like myself can be set to dispose of Entropic tass, without ill effects. Well, with the possible exception of a bit of Paradox, depending on the subtlety of the Initiate. I look forward to some... academic acknowledgement from some of the more traditional researchers on Horizon. A second rote to counter an unauthorized, well... It might not let an Initiate get away as unscathed as I did, but anything that can diminish such damage and dissuade further attempts is worth its metaphysical weight in Primium, I should think..."

He stretched and grinned to Francesca, "I'm... a little better; I was a bit fatigued earlier. I was given leave to meditate at the Node here; it's beautiful; like a little oasis of calm, with a little spring, soft moss and glowing crystals in the walls. I got to reflect on a few things, and I think I have a way to save myself from certain death, twenty years in the future. And with a little commissioned work, stop a Fallen Avatar at that time from going back into the reincarnation cycle right away, that it might be restored to its proper form first... All it will take is a ton of deeper understanding of space, time and the Umbra, and a blue box."

((OOC: No prob; I've been sitting in the sweat shop all day (slightly inadequate A/C; printroom is five degrees Celsius hotter than the outdoors...), mostly twiddling my thumbs. In a manner of speaking.))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Colin smiled smugly, "Quite so - I may not have the power of a Master of Prime, but I figured out how to use solid tass to fuel a spell without channeling it through myself. It has virtually limitless potential applications, but the first and foremost is that now a humble Initiate like myself can be set to dispose of Entropic tass, without ill effects. Well, with the possible exception of a bit of Paradox, depending on the subtlety of the Initiate.

"Hum...that is a quite interesting rote Mr Wainwright and yes that would be useful, the disposal of heavily Resonated Tass safely is always a problem so to find a way to do so safely is indeed a boon."
Kristina said sounding quite impressed.
"I would ask how you do it but with something like that I better not as it is something that can win you recognition and acceptance to if thought and sold to the right individuals, but I am looking forward to learning more about it once the rote become known."
She said and smiled.

I look forward to some... academic acknowledgement from some of the more traditional researchers on Horizon.

"Yes and you deserve the recognition Mr Wainwright though I bet some of the more...as you say Traditional researchers will be quite bitter that they did not think of it first."
The Verbena said with a bit of a grin.

A second rote to counter an unauthorized, well... It might not let an Initiate get away as unscathed as I did, but anything that can diminish such damage and dissuade further attempts is worth its metaphysical weight in Primium, I should think..."

"Yes indeed, if one's Avatar is in danger, well it is worth basically anything to have a good defense, now luckily such attacks are rare, but they do happen and off course we know the Union, well I know I would feel allot better if I got captured by the Technocrats if I had something to make the computer choke if the worst should happen."
Kristina said and she glanced over at Joakim's apprentice.
"Well let us not get into to much detail about that here, it is not a topic we would want any apprentice overhearing, and for some it might cause more than just nightmares though I do think we are to far away to be overheard."
She cautioned.

He stretched and grinned to Francesca, "I'm... a little better; I was a bit fatigued earlier. I was given leave to meditate at the Node here; it's beautiful; like a little oasis of calm, with a little spring, soft moss and glowing crystals in the walls. I got to reflect on a few things,

"That do sound quite lovely, well meditating in a Node can be quite relaxing. I am glad you are feeling better though."
Francesca said and nodded.
"You should not overstrain yourself after all you got hurt and have just gotten up after two days of bed rest, it is natural to be a bit out of it I would think."

and I think I have a way to save myself from certain death, twenty years in the future. And with a little commissioned work, stop a Fallen Avatar at that time from going back into the reincarnation cycle right away, that it might be restored to its proper form first... All it will take is a ton of deeper understanding of space, time and the Umbra, and a blue box."

Francesca looked a bit confused over your words but she gave you a smile.
"Well...that is nice, I will not pretend to completely understand with it is you are talking about Colin, but I do hope you succeed with what you are trying to do."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:52 pm

Colin nodded, "You saved Freddy's life... I'd be glad to teach you, or at least make an honest attempt to do so, once I've got the thing written down."
He chuckled, "Ah, yes, it would be rather delicious if, in case one were captured by the Union and subjected to their procedures, one could create some sort of feedback loop or other calamity in the machinery instead of losing the most important part of oneself..."
He frowned, "Wait, that might be it... She held me in a magical grip; not to restrain, but to create a link from which I could not escape the fate she had in mind for me. It would be the perfect place for a subtle caster to put a trap, a reflective shield fueled by the... I'll have to have some experiments done on this once I'm... less sore."

He nodded, "It wasn't bad; I had far worse in basic training, but that was a quarter of a century ago, so I may be a little out of practice. Just the combination of a little too high intensity after two days of sleep; things rather took off a little after the visit to the clinic."
He grinned, "I had a prophecy; it ended with what could very well be my death, twenty years in the future. But as everyone familiar with comics, movies, TV series or books know, if there's no body, he's still alive. I have a theoretical escape route from a Nephandi Battlecruiser, and by Gallifrey, I'm going to make an effort at turning theory into practice."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Adley listened to Francesca's explanation, with a small frown on his face. His own Tradition had members that strove to live for as long as they could, though they did not have this key to the same secret that the Euthanatos apparently did, but he did understand the concern over becoming a monster. "I think that as you are so concerned over it shows you are not a monster...but I hope in your Seeking you find your answer. Perhaps you should speak with Mr Rush, if you have not, when you return. And it is my honor," he said with a smile. "I wish I could help."

"Very well, then please call me Kristina...yes the classroom should be private and secure though I always recommend rotes to ensure privacy if anything sensitive is being discussed." The Verbena said.

He nodded at that.

"Oh not a problem I did not know when to contact you, Mr Wainwright told me you wanted to see me and so I headed up here once I was done leading him to the Node, what if I check on my kids and then go and fetch Isabella and your Cabalmate, will that give you enough time to get what you need to done?" She asked and then pointed. "The classroom is that direction, five doors down."

"It should be, I do not think this will take very long. Thank you. If you happen to be there before me with a moment, if you or someone with you work on the security issue if you can." Then he ducked into the bathroom to make a call to Tyler.

// yup new avatar pic for Adley, I usually like to swap my character pictures but I liked that one. I meant to ask if yours was a new tattoo you got.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:48 pm

Colin:

Colin nodded, "You saved Freddy's life... I'd be glad to teach you, or at least make an honest attempt to do so, once I've got the thing written down."

"I would appreciate that Mr Wainwright, though yes the Paradigm difference can prove a challenge. However like I said you do not owe me anything, I was part of that rescue mission as a healer and I did my job, I am only glad I managed to do a good enough job of it."
The Verbena said and smiled.

He chuckled, "Ah, yes, it would be rather delicious if, in case one were captured by the Union and subjected to their procedures, one could create some sort of feedback loop or other calamity in the machinery instead of losing the most important part of oneself..."

"Ah yes, I would love to crash the Computer, I would not love it quite enough to risk going in with such a protection and hope to be made lunch but by heavens if one was put in such a situation it would be a wonderful strike back."
Kristina said with a wry smile.

He frowned, "Wait, that might be it... She held me in a magical grip; not to restrain, but to create a link from which I could not escape the fate she had in mind for me. It would be the perfect place for a subtle caster to put a trap, a reflective shield fueled by the... I'll have to have some experiments done on this once I'm... less sore."

"Hum...well do be careful."
Kristina said and gave you a concerned look.
"But yes that could be it, everything that is to affect and Avatar involves searching for it and gripping it in one way or another, there is a drawing done by Master Porthos in the Fragile Path of Heylel's well...you know what happened to the betrayer, the drawing show his Avatars being drawn out of him, it is a most disturbing image I do not recommend looking at it before bed, but it do show the connection between Avatar and host and how a rote would interact with it, well it show that from a old Hermetic's point of view, none of these things are set in stone, however, disturbing as it is that picture might be worth having a look at for your reserch, though like I said not before bed...or before a meal..."
The healer said and looked a bit queasy.

He nodded, "It wasn't bad; I had far worse in basic training, but that was a quarter of a century ago, so I may be a little out of practice. Just the combination of a little too high intensity after two days of sleep; things rather took off a little after the visit to the clinic."

"I see, yes Adley came back covered heard to toe in blood...it seams like the rescue mission was...eventful."
Francesca said then she raised an eyebrow inquisitively.
"How did it go at the clinic by the way if you do not mind me asking?"

He grinned, "I had a prophecy; it ended with what could very well be my death, twenty years in the future. But as everyone familiar with comics, movies, TV series or books know, if there's no body, he's still alive. I have a theoretical escape route from a Nephandi Battlecruiser, and by Gallifrey, I'm going to make an effort at turning theory into practice."

"A Nephandi Battle Cruiser, a bloody mutated polyp, not a good place to die, I do hope that if your prophesy turn out to be true, then your escape plan works."
Francesca said and gave you a odd look.
"Well it is better to get a warning about such things than to be powerless to change them I guess...you are turning out to be quite a surprising man indeed."

Adley:

"I think that as you are so concerned over it shows you are not a monster...but I hope in your Seeking you find your answer. Perhaps you should speak with Mr Rush, if you have not, when you return. And it is my honor," he said with a smile. "I wish I could help."

"I am not a monster now Adley bur every Euthanatos face the danger of Jhor, and I will not let myself fall to it."
Francesca said she gave you a bit of a smile though there was a sadness in her eyes, that and determination.
"You did help me, you got me back to Steelhaven and if my Seeking show me that I am meant to live you would have saved my life. Yes I will speak with Igmar, he healed me, or at least kept me alive so he is a big part of it and I will ask him before I go into the Seeking."

"It should be, I do not think this will take very long. Thank you. If you happen to be there before me with a moment, if you or someone with you work on the security issue if you can."

"I will try, but I have to admit that I am not very good at it. I do study Prime but I am not very good at what Hermetics would have called Vim alone, I use it to fuel my other spells but to set up a ward, well I will see what I can do but it is not my area o expertise."
Kristina said and gave a bit of an apologetic smile.
"Usually my Cabalmate Bess, a Virtual Adept takes care of the security when my Cabal need it, but I will see if I can whip something up."

Then he ducked into the bathroom to make a call to Tyler.

"Yes hello it is I."
Tyler said, as she quickly took the call, she did not sound sluggish and tired this time and there was a sharp alertness to her voice.
"Is there any news?"
She asked having read from the caller id who it was who was calling.

(OOC: I like the new picture, it fits Adley.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:52 pm

Colin grinned, "Consider it partially doing me a favour, as an experiment in cross-paradigm teaching, then."
He grimaced, "I read from The Fragile Path to a friend before she was... attempted flayed; her Mentor had forbidden her to read the book itself on account of those illustrations, and I quite agree with him, but she wanted... she needed to hear his speech. Those images were... graphic, more so than even the most speculative comics since the comic book became a thing. I've seen the one to which you refer."

He sighed, "Things at the clinic took an... unexpected turn. We were intercepted by Molly Aydogan's vampiric friend, who somehow tracked me down to fish for answers, and it would appear the Nephandus we were coming for, a fellow called Tian, heard or saw us and managed to escape while the vampire stalled us. He left us his mobile phone and called us to tell us what he could before fleeing... Poor fellow has a daughter he wants to watch grow up, so he's gone renegade from the Fallen after the ones he thought he could trust beat the crap out of him, and a Traditionalist offered him mercy at the post office. With the second crisis at the post office, by the way, we had to let him have basically a head start before he gets hunted down, though we recovered tissue samples which should be more than adequate to commence a manhunt with."
He scratched his cheek, "I'll have to say, that vampiress was dangerously attractive... From how she carried herself, that might be a common trait among those vampires called Toreador, I think."
He shuddered, "I'd rather not see that thing again, but unless I'm sorely mistaken, I can't prevent it from happening... but the outcome was ambiguous enough that I have a window of opportunity to escape at the end."

((OOC: Not new; had it a few years now, but yeah, that's mine. :3 Brohoof! Wink ))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:00 pm

Colin grinned, "Consider it partially doing me a favour, as an experiment in cross-paradigm teaching, then."

"Well then on those terms Mr Wainwright I will gladly accept."
Kristina said and gave a friendly smile and inclined her head towards her.

He grimaced, "I read from The Fragile Path to a friend before she was... attempted flayed; her Mentor had forbidden her to read the book itself on account of those illustrations, and I quite agree with him, but she wanted... she needed to hear his speech. Those images were... graphic, more so than even the most speculative comics since the comic book became a thing. I've seen the one to which you refer."

"Beatrice Alexander then I assume..."
Kristina said and sigh.
"I heard about her trial but I do not know her well so I never thought to ask about her when I heard she was spared in the original trial, my mentor have quite a few relatives."
She said sounding apologetic.
"Poor child, but yes those images are graphic, at least if you know what you are looking at...but it also show one powerful mage's view of how Avatars are attached to the host and can be valuable if you can stand looking at them."
The Verbena said and shuddered.
"I have to admit that while I have read the book I generally skip over those drawings."

He sighed, "Things at the clinic took an... unexpected turn. We were intercepted by Molly Aydogan's vampiric friend, who somehow tracked me down to fish for answers, and it would appear the Nephandus we were coming for, a fellow called Tian, heard or saw us and managed to escape while the vampire stalled us. He left us his mobile phone and called us to tell us what he could before fleeing... Poor fellow has a daughter he wants to watch grow up, so he's gone renegade from the Fallen after the ones he thought he could trust beat the crap out of him, and a Traditionalist offered him mercy at the post office. With the second crisis at the post office, by the way, we had to let him have basically a head start before he gets hunted down, though we recovered tissue samples which should be more than adequate to commence a manhunt with."

"Hum, so unless he knows how to destroy arcane connections either he get captured by us or the Nephandi, both grim fates I can not imagine the Fallen are going to be kind to a, in their eyes, traitor. It is a shame we can offer him no mercy as that might have convinced him to surrender and willingly tell us what he knows, a man who would risk it all to see his daughter grow up can not be beyond saving, now do not get me wrong the man is a Nephandus, he is probably guilty of horrible things, but there is a sliver of light in him and we should try to fan those flames not crush him...but there is little that can be done..."
Francesca added.
"Well I guess we better hope we catch him so we can at least get some information from him."

He scratched his cheek, "I'll have to say, that vampiress was dangerously attractive... From how she carried herself, that might be a common trait among those vampires called Toreador, I think."

"From what I hear some of them are quite attractive yes."
Francesca said with a bit of a smile.
"And for some beauty can be a weapon as sharp as any knife."

He shuddered, "I'd rather not see that thing again, but unless I'm sorely mistaken, I can't prevent it from happening... but the outcome was ambiguous enough that I have a window of opportunity to escape at the end."

"Hum...well sometimes you can not change fate, you can only try to find the best outcome to an impossible situation."
The young Euthanatos said.
"I do hope you find a path that lets you survive though Colin, Freddy would be most cross with you if you die."
She added with a wry grin, only half joking.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Colin nodded to Francesca, "I suspect the Fallen will kill him in some gruesome and torturous manner; they'd not want to waste an Avatar, unlike the fate in store if the Traditions get him... but he's not an altogether evil man at all; if not for him, it's quite plausible that the other Fallen at the post office would have tortured the Deacon Primus to death, had the one Awakened member of the chantry force-fed by a vampire, and possibly roasted one of their own vampire allies, as well. And he took a nasty beating for it. We've pretty much promised him one mercy, though - that if he's caught and brought to Horizon, his family will get a grave to visit, instead of believing he buggered off like a deadbeat dad."
He sighed and gave Francesca a sly wink, "Beauty can be a very deadly weapon, yes, but you know, I think I'll personally stick with kindness... Easier for everyone; I'm not sure even Master Steelhaven could convince people of my beauty for long enough to weaponize it."
He grimaced, "Well, she has threatened me with necromancy, should I die prematurely... I would rather not test that, frankly. Luckily, I'm good at multilateral thinking, so I generally have a few survival plans for every situation simmering at the back of my mind at any time... Most end up never used, but contexts change..."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:22 pm

Colin nodded to Francesca, "I suspect the Fallen will kill him in some gruesome and torturous manner; they'd not want to waste an Avatar, unlike the fate in store if the Traditions get him...

"Yeah I mean I know why the law is the way it is, I understand the reasoning behind it but sometimes those laws seams both to harsh and impractical...right now we need information to stop the rest of the Fallen more than we need to...well...get rid of this kid in such a way."
Francesca said and looked rather uncomfortable at the thought.

but he's not an altogether evil man at all; if not for him, it's quite plausible that the other Fallen at the post office would have tortured the Deacon Primus to death, had the one Awakened member of the chantry force-fed by a vampire, and possibly roasted one of their own vampire allies, as well. And he took a nasty beating for it. We've pretty much promised him one mercy, though - that if he's caught and brought to Horizon, his family will get a grave to visit, instead of believing he buggered off like a deadbeat dad."

"He had a family? A mundane family? Damned..."
The Euthanatoi muttered.
"Well at least it will be better for that family to have closure than to think he have abandoned them but I do kind of feel bad for this man, and yet we have to get a hold of him, especially if he can tell us what we need to know about where to find his bossed, and yet if he helped save someone...sending him to Horizon for trial will be hard."

He sighed and gave Francesca a sly wink, "Beauty can be a very deadly weapon, yes, but you know, I think I'll personally stick with kindness... Easier for everyone; I'm not sure even Master Steelhaven could convince people of my beauty for long enough to weaponize it."

"Well I don't know, Freddy do seam rather charmed and I think she likes all of you, including your appearance, she certainly have seamed very happy since she got closer to you."
Francesca said with a bit of a wink.
"I am sure she would be convinced your charms could be a weapon."

He grimaced, "Well, she has threatened me with necromancy, should I die prematurely... I would rather not test that, frankly. Luckily, I'm good at multilateral thinking, so I generally have a few survival plans for every situation simmering at the back of my mind at any time... Most end up never used, but contexts change..."

"Well you know she might just mean it."
The death magus said and grinned.
"Well good, it seams that kind of thinking might be just exactly what we need just about now."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:13 am

Colin nodded, "Between you and me, it may be regrettable that we did not catch him tonight... but I think I might personally have regretted it more if we had. Oh, I would still have done it, but I would have hated every second of it..."
He frowned, "In twenty years, if the timeline goes unchanged, I will be using my kindness to kill a girl, barely a teenager... the next host for Beatrice's Avatar. The Handler of a great polyp. I show her kindness, friendship, a few mementos of her previous incarnation... and when her defenses are down, I kill her with her own dagger. Beauty alone would be hard pressed to match that sort of lethality..."
He sighed, "People who can think in several directions at once are always needed, whether in a crisis or not..."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:00 am

Colin nodded, "Between you and me, it may be regrettable that we did not catch him tonight... but I think I might personally have regretted it more if we had. Oh, I would still have done it, but I would have hated every second of it..."

"Yeah, I would have hated knowing such a person was in a cell...waiting to be...well..."
Francesca sigh.
"And there would be nothing one could do for him, I mean one could show him a bit of kindness, try to give him some comfort but that would be all, and who knows if he would have been tortured for information if he did not talk willingly."

He frowned, "In twenty years, if the timeline goes unchanged, I will be using my kindness to kill a girl, barely a teenager... the next host for Beatrice's Avatar. The Handler of a great polyp. I show her kindness, friendship, a few mementos of her previous incarnation... and when her defenses are down, I kill her with her own dagger. Beauty alone would be hard pressed to match that sort of lethality..."

"I agree, sometimes kindness can be a great weapon."
The Euthanatos sigh.
"But then if this was a child that had grown up with the Nephandi, perhaps it was worth it, I doubt she would have gotten many moments of kindness in her life."
She said then her eyes widened in realization.
"But...if this vision of yours is true and...that is Beatrice's reincarnation...that would mean that your Cabalmate is set to die...within a few years for there to be time for her to be reborn and grow to such an age in twenty years."
She muttered a bit stunned.

He sighed, "People who can think in several directions at once are always needed, whether in a crisis or not..."

"True..."
The death magus muttered.
"Very true indeed."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:19 am

Colin sighed, "That's why there was no right way this could go when Adjan and I joined the capture team... Catching him would be morally wrong, finding him and letting him go would be legally wrong, and the actual result is... well, a surprisingly mild failure."
He nodded darkly, "Within the year, most likely... She won't be long out of reconvalescence before the Union attacks us. It's... mentioned in the prophecy; I've arranged an escape route for her... I'm just not certain she'll agree to take it instead of defending the Chantry - and in two months time, I'll have to tell her as we visit the Fallen Technocrat in the Verbena clinic on Horizon, after he's been Branded... Because I already did so in a memory of the future. Isn't precognition grand?"
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:56 am

Colin sighed, "That's why there was no right way this could go when Adjan and I joined the capture team... Catching him would be morally wrong, finding him and letting him go would be legally wrong, and the actual result is... well, a surprisingly mild failure."

"Yes, perhaps it was for the best if he got away even if we could have use of the information he have, I do wonder what will become of him though and off course there is always the danger that when he is reborn eventually that child will be a monster, well more than danger really is is almost certain that he will be a monster."
Francesca said and sigh.
"Such are the problem with the Nephandi."

He nodded darkly, "Within the year, most likely... She won't be long out of reconvalescence before the Union attacks us. It's... mentioned in the prophecy; I've arranged an escape route for her... I'm just not certain she'll agree to take it instead of defending the Chantry

"No I doubt she would...I mean would you? Escape to safety while the rest of your friends where in danger when you could do something, even if there was a good chance you would die? I know I would stay and fight and I doubt that Beatrice care less about her friends and Cabal."
She said sadly.
"But I hope we can find some way to avoid it so that she can live.

and in two months time, I'll have to tell her as we visit the Fallen Technocrat in the Verbena clinic on Horizon, after he's been Branded... Because I already did so in a memory of the future. Isn't precognition grand?"

"The Technocrat boy? Patrick Dale was not that his name? My Cabalmate Ingmar told me about him, he was one of those who took him to Horizon and he said he was so scared but scared, that it was odd knowing that he would take him to...such a trial and still he was so human, that it was hard to deliver someone to Gilgul and know that they are a scared kid that likes sweet licorice, and was amazed at the view from the Umbra ship's window, it is hard to see someone like that as just a monster...I guess Ingmar will be happy to hear that he will be Branded and not...well at least if your prophecy is true..."
The Euthanatos grins.
"Well your life certainly are complicated Colin."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Colin nodded, "Yet, there's a chance... If we can find a means to restore Avatars before he's caught, suffice to say it would turn the whole bloody war upside down. No more flaying the fallen, but bringing their Avatars back to the light instead..."
He frowned, "No, I don't think she'll agree to be sent away for her own protection... Considering her reincarnation would be what would serve as the weak point for the polyp, well... She had me read from The Fragile Path before she went to the ritual chamber. There's... hm, a surprising amount of Teomim in her, I suppose one could say; she'll not shy away from what must be done, whatever the cost to her personally... The dilemma stinks, quite frankly; save her now, and not be able to save Horizon in twenty years, or let her sacrifice herself now, so I can save Horizon by killing her in twenty years..."
He smiled, "Yes, Patrick Dale. There'll be an attack on Horizon in two months' time, coinciding with his sentencing. An act of bravery on his part will see him spared, but I'll have to bring some licorice and speak with him first... I had already dropped by in some two or three weeks' time, I think. I am, obviously, sending some warnings about the attack; drawing the Verbena clinic and the street it is on accurately from memory despite never having been on Horizon certainly speaks in favour of my accuracy - but I don't remember the attack vector, or precisely who attacks, only that the Council Hall is the target... but we fight them back, saving the Nine."
He grimaced, "At the very least the Cultists know what I'm going through..."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Colin nodded, "Yet, there's a chance... If we can find a means to restore Avatars before he's caught, suffice to say it would turn the whole bloody war upside down. No more flaying the fallen, but bringing their Avatars back to the light instead..."

"It would be a kinder, and much more effective way to fight the Fallen, but the question is if it can be done, most say it is impossible."
Francesca said and sigh.
"One thing is for sure though if such a method to save a Fallen Avatar was ever found, that will make the Nephandi shake in their boots."

He frowned, "No, I don't think she'll agree to be sent away for her own protection... Considering her reincarnation would be what would serve as the weak point for the polyp, well... She had me read from The Fragile Path before she went to the ritual chamber. There's... hm, a surprising amount of Teomim in her, I suppose one could say; she'll not shy away from what must be done, whatever the cost to her personally... The dilemma stinks, quite frankly; save her now, and not be able to save Horizon in twenty years, or let her sacrifice herself now, so I can save Horizon by killing her in twenty years..."

The Euthanatos girl raised an eyebrow.
"You know Colin most mages would not find being compared to the betrayer himself to be a compliment, but I understand what you mean. Beatrice Alexander is a good woman, she will do what she have to..."
She said then she looked thoughtful.
"I guess then that the weakness will be that Bee's reincarnation will let you close where another Nephandus would not...so the only real way to save your Cabalmate is to both stop the attack on Steelhaven...and a future Nephandi invasion of Horizon before it is even planned."
She said and sigh.
"Not and easy task, not an easy task at all."

He smiled, "Yes, Patrick Dale. There'll be an attack on Horizon in two months' time, coinciding with his sentencing. An act of bravery on his part will see him spared, but I'll have to bring some licorice and speak with him first... I had already dropped by in some two or three weeks' time, I think. I am, obviously, sending some warnings about the attack; drawing the Verbena clinic and the street it is on accurately from memory despite never having been on Horizon certainly speaks in favour of my accuracy - but I don't remember the attack vector, or precisely who attacks, only that the Council Hall is the target... but we fight them back, saving the Nine."
He grimaced, "At the very least the Cultists know what I'm going through..."

"Hum...so you met this boy...two years into the future giving him a treat you did not like he liked before you had your vision and drew a picture of a street you have never seen...well it do seam that there are truth to your visions indeed..."
Francesca said and looked concerned.
"What about this attack on Horizon? Do you know who would be attacking? I mean Horizon is our finest stronghold that it will be under attack is rather disturbing to think about, at least it is good that Mr Dale will get a chance, he is so young...I did not like the thought of him being...well anyway it seams things will continue to be...interesting for a while, and I do mean interesting in a bad kind of way."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Colin grimaced, "It has been done, but... that ended with a kangaroo court. It might yet be rediscovered."
He grinned wryly, "Most Mages, true. But Beatrice is hardly 'most mages', and besides, there's... hm... something else... I can't really talk about it, but suffice to say, it's a tangled weave."
He sighed, "At the very least, my... firsthand insights into the polyps might be of academic use - the things are disgusting, but they have some interesting peculiarities. Like their cannons, which require a brief opening in the shield to fire; a boarding torpedo can be sent through the gap if the cannon is taken out as the shield opens, and internal security is... sloppy. Even their, er, computer interfaces, incomprehensible as they are, are extremely vulnerable to a lucky infiltrator who fondles the controls at random. The invasion could be averted, if we could find the polyps in advance... a nigh-impossible task to begin with."
He nodded, "Two weeks into the future, I bring candy. Two months in the future, I witness his sentencing, and we get attacked... he gets Branded, and I go visit him in the hospital, at which point Beatrice shows me this," He held up the blue stone rose, "which she said I brought back to give her from the trip to Chicago. That vision came to me in the time bubble when Adley and I caught a few hours of much-needed sleep before we went to the post office. When i woke up after the... unpleasantries the Fallen did there, I found this left for me by Mrs. Knox; the same stone rose I passed on to Beatrice when we get back to Boston..."
He contemplated the grammar of that last sentence for a few moments, "Bah, the same stone I will pass on to Beatrice... I need to learn a language better suited for being unstuck in time..."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Colin grimaced, "It has been done, but... that ended with a kangaroo court. It might yet be rediscovered."

"A kangaroo court...do you mean? No surly not Miss Florentine the Mercere that is visiting Steelhaven? Oh no poor girl."

He grinned wryly, "Most Mages, true. But Beatrice is hardly 'most mages', and besides, there's... hm... something else... I can't really talk about it, but suffice to say, it's a tangled weave."

"Well now you got me curious Colin, but I will not pry, I agree though Bee is not most mages, that she have been handle to fight her widderslainte nature is proof of that."
Francesca said and raised and eyebrow.

He sighed, "At the very least, my... firsthand insights into the polyps might be of academic use - the things are disgusting, but they have some interesting peculiarities. Like their cannons, which require a brief opening in the shield to fire; a boarding torpedo can be sent through the gap if the cannon is taken out as the shield opens, and internal security is... sloppy. Even their, er, computer interfaces, incomprehensible as they are, are extremely vulnerable to a lucky infiltrator who fondles the controls at random. The invasion could be averted, if we could find the polyps in advance... a nigh-impossible task to begin with."

"Hum...I guess the Nephandi do not expect visitors on their Battle cruisers I guess, however security might be increased if the Traditions or for that matter the Union start to actually board them, the infrmation can indeed be quite useful though I agree."
The death magus nodded.
"Hum well the problem is that we do not even know where the polyps are nor how many there are so yes that is a rather unlikely thing to happen, but there have to be something we can do?"

He nodded, "Two weeks into the future, I bring candy. Two months in the future, I witness his sentencing, and we get attacked... he gets Branded, and I go visit him in the hospital, at which point Beatrice shows me this," He held up the blue stone rose, "which she said I brought back to give her from the trip to Chicago. That vision came to me in the time bubble when Adley and I caught a few hours of much-needed sleep before we went to the post office. When i woke up after the... unpleasantries the Fallen did there, I found this left for me by Mrs. Knox; the same stone rose I passed on to Beatrice when we get back to Boston..."

"It seams you have quite a loop going on there and that the Cycle have some serious business with you."
Francesca said and nodded.
"I study a little Time but this go far beyond my understanding, it do seam though that while the price can get high if you do not find a way to save some of those who will be sacrificed by this loop that you are in a position to save many more...and do allot of good...though I can not imagine it is easy."
The young death magus said.
"I am sure this is happening for a reason but it can not be an easy thing to live with."

He contemplated the grammar of that last sentence for a few moments, "Bah, the same stone I will pass on to Beatrice... I need to learn a language better suited for being unstuck in time..."

"Hum...Japanese is supposed to be rather good when it comes to having allot of options for gammer when it comes to the past and future."
Francesca advices.
"I do not know if it will help you much though, but some Cultists favor it."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Colin nodded, "The very one..."
Colin smiled, "There is one thing... The Traditions need to build carrier ships for long-range defense - support for the zeppelins, equipped with all sorts of crazy and brilliant little fighter craft, captured from the Union or built by creative Mages on Horizon - and additional supports for the capital ships that will be built soon. We need to drill combat doctrines, and, yes, boarding will only be efficient for a short time, until the Fallen realize what we're doing... but for a brief while, if we can keep the methods secret, we'll have an opportunity to send in... well, assassins, really; capable individuals able to sneak into the Handler's chamber inside the polyp and kill them... and preferably, get back outside before the main artillery obliterates the polyp as it turns back toward the Deep Umbra..."
He grimaced, "Three loops... If the first happens as I remember, all will be well. If it doesn't, I won't have been informed of the Technocrat at Daley Plaza earlier today, which means I might not survive the rescue operation... That's going to be a pain, for certain..."
He arched an eyebrow, "I had the impression that Japanese was rather awful for that purpose, due to a lack of temporal grammar in its entirety. I recall an anecdote about a student trying to say he was going to Tokyo in the past tense, and ended up saying he was going to Edo..."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Colin nodded, "The very one..."

"Poor kid, I mean it is rather terrifying to be hear her though, to know something like that...can happen..."
Francesca said then she looked apologetic.
"But I guess that is not what you want to hear right now considering how close you got to...ehm...well...dropping the topic perhaps."
She muttered and looked down.

Colin smiled, "There is one thing... The Traditions need to build carrier ships for long-range defense - support for the zeppelins, equipped with all sorts of crazy and brilliant little fighter craft, captured from the Union or built by creative Mages on Horizon - and additional supports for the capital ships that will be built soon. We need to drill combat doctrines, and, yes, boarding will only be efficient for a short time, until the Fallen realize what we're doing... but for a brief while, if we can keep the methods secret, we'll have an opportunity to send in... well, assassins, really; capable individuals able to sneak into the Handler's chamber inside the polyp and kill them... and preferably, get back outside before the main
artillery obliterates the polyp as it turns back toward the Deep Umbra..."

"Well that is allot that needs to be done and allot that can go wrong Colin, and I am not sure the Council will agree to sink that many resources into Umbra ships and pilots, but I...agree we need better Umbral defenses, we are the weakest there of the four factions and we need to step it up."
Francesca chewed on her lip as she thought.
"Hum...so you are saying that the Nephandi Battle Cruisers will not function if the Handler dies? Well that is a pretty major weakness...that is something we can exploit and get some of those ships taken out, not that I know to much about them, all I know is that they are alive, and they are powerful, one of them held it's own against Traditionalist defenses and two Technocracy Dreadnoughts in the battle for Mus though the Union eventually won."

He grimaced, "Three loops... If the first happens as I remember, all will be well. If it doesn't, I won't have been informed of the Technocrat at Daley Plaza earlier today, which means I might not survive the rescue operation... That's going to be a pain, for certain..."

"Ah yes...that might indeed be an issue."
The death magus said and sigh.
"The question then is how we can ensure that the first loop happens, I mean it is not just you, not that I do not want you to survive but if we had not been given that intel you spoke about, all of us might be dead and Liv might still be a captive of the Nephandi."
She said sounding concerned and glanced at the sleeping child.

He arched an eyebrow, "I had the impression that Japanese was rather awful for that purpose, due to a lack of temporal grammar in its entirety. I recall an anecdote about a student trying to say he was going to Tokyo in the past tense, and ended up saying he was going to Edo..."

"I think that is why they like it, less confused since there are no direct temporal grammar but allot of words that pertain to it sort of, that way one can avoid the confusion...I would not know though I only speak English and a little bit of Latin."
She said and shrugged.
"And what German I have learned fro metal."
She added and grinned.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next