Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Heart of the Labyrinth, Screams and Hope IC Thread 19

5 posters

Page 12 of 30 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21 ... 30  Next

Go down

The Heart of the Labyrinth, Screams and Hope IC Thread 19 - Page 12 Empty Re: The Heart of the Labyrinth, Screams and Hope IC Thread 19

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:06 am

Leon looked at you for a while then he simply nodded.
"Very well as long as you are okey."
He said but he still seamed rather concerned. The rope around the prisoner's wrists where tight enough that she could not get free without some effort but you would not leave a prisoner alone without tighter bindings than and especially not a woman, given time and effort she would probably be able to get free but as long as she was supervised it would hold well enough. The girl glanced at you when she saw you looking at her, she still looked nervous but your friend seamed to have convinced her that you where not going to harm her.

Once Colin was done tending to Allison's bindings Udella looked at Leon.
"If you would take her over to the other prisoners and keep an eye on her."
She said and the Jerbiton nodded and begun to lead the girl away then Udella gave Colin a look as if she wanted to ask if he really wanted to do what they had talked about earlier, it would be far from safe and she seamed a bit hesitant.

(OOC: Sorry about that poor Adley. )

(OOC 2: Lol Smile )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Heart of the Labyrinth, Screams and Hope IC Thread 19 - Page 12 Empty Re: The Heart of the Labyrinth, Screams and Hope IC Thread 19

Post by Warpmind Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Udella looked confused for a moment.
"Ehm...no one knows how to...twist an Avatar back to a clean form young man, if we knew that then we could do it to the whole thing, we can no more do it on a mere fragment then a complete soul, anything is possible but I know of no one who can perform such a spell."
She said and shook her head.
Colin nodded, "True, nobody knows... but how many have tried? I can't imagine a gilgul to be the sort of situation inviting experimentation, but consider this, the Caul, as far as we know, takes the Avatar apart, twists the pieces inside out, and puts them back together in the wrong order. Has anyone ever tried to apply the same sort of brute force in reverse?"

Udella raised an eyebrow then she nodded.
"Very well I accept, some time in a time bubble might not be a bad idea so we can talk then in private indeed, and as for the serum, I guess it is a good idea to know what such a thing feel like before you put it into your new apprentice...."
He smiled wryly, "We use the serum, though we didn't develop it - it seems we are a bit shy on the actual research side - and a few insights from a willing subject might lead to some improvements of our own. Perhaps something less... traumatic could be developed, like an ingested version?"

Udella nodded she looked at Adley for a moment.
"If you are sure...I can cast the spell once you are finished dealing with the prisoners...but remember you may get lost, he see you as a fellow Hermetic in his madness so you will see yourself as such in his mindscape, it will feel real but there will be signs and guideposts that can take out out of the madness and you can bring him along, if he trust you enough...while you are in his mind time might not be what it is on the outside, it will be confusing but if you are willing...well we might need your friend back with us before we go after young Carlyle..."
The old maga said but she seamed rather concerned about the prospect.
He frowned, "Let me consider it... I'll let you know once the prisoners are... secured."

"Well shit...I guess you are lucky then. It must be scary to think about what could have happened."
The apprentice said as she gazed at you wide eyed.
He grimaced softly, "Actually, I would rather not contemplate that... And yes, I do seem to be quite lucky - though there just as well might be the other shoe, biding its time."

The girl looked at you and she looked like she might just be sick.
"T...that...is...horrible..."
She whispered then she looked over at Dalett.
"She must be...so scared..."
She whispered and looked down.
"At least...Cotta is not suffering anymore but I will never forgive you guys you know, for doing that to her, I am not going to forgive you!"
She hissed stubbornly.
He nodded, "She is, I think, but she is masking it well in her grief... As for forgiving us - not to worry; I don't think I will, either... That ritual is a cruelty used to excess, and I should like to see an end to the practice altogether... or at least see it reeled back to being reserved for the most horrific of crimes."

"Well it is sort of that but not quite. The idea o modern witches is that as long as no one is harmed, it is no one's business than your own what you do, they do not hold to old ideas that you should not eat certain food, have certain lovers or wear certain clothes because my book said so, instead they think that as long as no harm is done all is good. What the Nephandi believe is more like when you don't care if you spill paint on your already washed out and trash shirt since it is ruined anyway so you might as well spill shit on it, the world is already ruined so just have fun."
Allison explained.
"The difference between saying hey be a decent person and otherwise do what you want and saying all is shit so more shit don't matter, and yes everyone is aware that someone bigger and stronger might come along, we are all aware our paths...or their paths perhaps I should say usually end in screams, but at least they have fun on their way down, that is how they look at it."
He nodded, "See, it's that fatalistic nihilism I don't buy. Certainly there is a lot of wrong in the world, but almost all of that can be mended, improved, made right. But if we're to have any success at that, having some marauding misanthropes deliberately poisoning the wells and burning the toolsheds just won't do..."

"I guess but...knowing what they...are no longer...it...I mean they would be a constant reminder that it could happen to any mage and that is just...creepy as hell..."
She said and shuddered.
He frowned, "Yes, I suppose such a reminder is healthy for us in the long run... It's not just the ritual that can cause that, after all, and we should all keep that in mind..."

"Hum that sounds practical...and yes I hope your side are kind to her I mean after what you say she have been through...being cruel to her would just be...wrong."
Allison said and shook her head sadly.
He just nodded.

"Hum...I guess that is kinder, if the indentured servants have rights and such. The Nephandi have slaves, you see Mala over there she is owned by Miss Vaga, she can do whatever she please with her but she choose to be kind to her...it seams rather natural to me..."
Allison said and shrugged again.
He nodded, "They're certainly of a lower class, to put it that way, but simply being sold off to the Fallen like that is not something that should happen. Plus, such indentured servitude is, as I understand it, always for a limited time, relative to the crime for which such punishment was decided upon. Obviously, there's no way to ensure cruelty never happens... but cruelty can be reacted against."

"Well you do find the name in the movie so it is from a movie as well."
The girl said and grinned.
He made a face, "Bloody Hollywood knockoffs..."

Allison nodded she pulled her hands back and looked at the bindings for a moment before she relaxed her arms and let her hands fall, finally uncurling her fingers and flexing them.
"Is it to tight? Are you hurt?"
Leon asked concerned but the girl shook her head.
"Nah this is fine, it is not uncomfortable really just a bit awkward."
He nodded, "Good - wouldn't want you hurt in the process, too..."

Once Colin was done tending to Allison's bindings Udella looked at Leon.
"If you would take her over to the other prisoners and keep an eye on her."
She said and the Jerbiton nodded and begun to lead the girl away then Udella gave Colin a look as if she wanted to ask if he really wanted to do what they had talked about earlier, it would be far from safe and she seamed a bit hesitant.
He frowned, then looked up at Adley again, "Amicus Magnus, there are things you need to remember... memories that appear to have hidden themselves away from you, when you suffered that hit. I'm going to have to look for them, but I promise, I will not try to intrude on anything else that you might not wish to share... I know what to look for, and I would not even ask this if it weren't utterly crucial... Do you trust me in this?"

((OOC: Man, the early Traditions Council WERE dicks... No wonder Teomim had such a speech for them at the end. Razz ))

((OOC2: Heh, learning languages, yeah... English is not an easy language to learn late in life. ))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Colin nodded, "True, nobody knows... but how many have tried? I can't imagine a gilgul to be the sort of situation inviting experimentation, but consider this, the Caul, as far as we know, takes the Avatar apart, twists the pieces inside out, and puts them back together in the wrong order. Has anyone ever tried to apply the same sort of brute force in reverse?"

"I do not think anyone have tried, usually when that...ritual is performed we try to get it done as quickly and humanely as possible, but I am not a Caul young man I would not even begin to know how to do what you propose, I know if two powerful spirit healers that might have some ideas about that but for me, there are no sides to an Avatar, there is nothing to twist, they just are."
Udella said and she sounded confused.

He smiled wryly, "We use the serum, though we didn't develop it - it seems we are a bit shy on the actual research side - and a few insights from a willing subject might lead to some improvements of our own. Perhaps something less... traumatic could be developed, like an ingested version?"

"Yes both we and the Nephandi it seams stole this serum from the Union and I have no idea myself why it would not work to ingest the foul thing. I do know that my client who was on it for a year still have some nasty side effects, it seams to me those who are on it for a few days are fine but longer exposure to it can lead to problems...and yes there should be more research one on it before it was given to helpless prisoners against their will."
The Tytalus said and nodded.
"I guess something could be learned from studying your Resonance while on the serum, perhaps a sample of your stored Quintessence and for our more scientific members a sample of blood, perhaps something could be learned..."

He frowned, "Let me consider it... I'll let you know once the prisoners are... secured."

Udella nodded at that.
"Very well, let me know what you decide."

He grimaced softly, "Actually, I would rather not contemplate that... And yes, I do seem to be quite lucky - though there just as well might be the other shoe, biding its time."

"I would not have wanted to contemplate that either in your situation."
Allison said and grimaced.
"And that other shoe always drops when it is the least convenient..."

He nodded, "She is, I think, but she is masking it well in her grief...

"Yeah...I guess she do, and there is really nothing that can be said to make her feel better. I mean it is not like you can go over to her and say sorry you will be Gilgulled would you like a hug. And her grief, being forced to give the last mercy to your own kid that...is rough."
The young mage said and shook her head sadly.

As for forgiving us - not to worry; I don't think I will, either... That ritual is a cruelty used to excess, and I should like to see an end to the practice altogether... or at least see it reeled back to being reserved for the most horrific of crimes."

"It is horrible...I wish that ritual did not exist. It was Guernicus the Founder who invented it right? He deserve a good kick to the nuts for creating it and no it should not be used, not by any of the factions...but it is and it is wrong and it is scary and you are not getting my forgiveness for doing that to Cotta."
Allison said angrily and looked demonstratively away.

He nodded, "See, it's that fatalistic nihilism I don't buy. Certainly there is a lot of wrong in the world, but almost all of that can be mended, improved, made right. But if we're to have any success at that, having some marauding misanthropes deliberately poisoning the wells and burning the toolsheds just won't do..."

"Well that sounds reasonable what you are saying Traditionalist but it is not what my Mentor have been teaching me and she have said to only listen to her and no one else..."
The young mage protested.

He frowned, "Yes, I suppose such a reminder is healthy for us in the long run... It's not just the ritual that can cause that, after all, and we should all keep that in mind..."

"Yeah there is vampires and Paradox and really messing shit up with magick and probably a few other ways and that is scary as shit, why would anyone want to be reminded of that?"
She asked wide eyed.

He nodded, "They're certainly of a lower class, to put it that way, but simply being sold off to the Fallen like that is not something that should happen. Plus, such indentured servitude is, as I understand it, always for a limited time, relative to the crime for which such punishment was decided upon. Obviously, there's no way to ensure cruelty never happens... but cruelty can be reacted against."

"I guess you are right then that what happened to William was illegal by your laws...do that mean he will not be hurt by the Traditions for ending up in a Labyrinth?"
Allison asked then she was silent for a moment and looked worried.
"Is there any chance of that happening to me as a punishment for being trained by a Nephandus? For I will be no one's slave and if anyone tries to make me one I will murder them in their sleep magick or no!"

He made a face, "Bloody Hollywood knockoffs..."

The girl grinned wryly at that.

He nodded, "Good - wouldn't want you hurt in the process, too..."

"I am fine I am not that fragile as I said it is just awkward, when I want to make a movement and forget the rope is there, so don't worry about it."
The girl said and gave you a slight smile. Leon was then ordered by Udella to take Allison to the other prisoner and he gently lead her away towards where Dalett and Mala was being kept. Allison looked a little nervous but it seamed you had calmed her fears about how she would be treated. You where left alone, well as alone as you could be in a large chamber filled with other magi, with Adley and Udella.

(OOC: They where dicks indeed and Teomim had allot to say to them all wrapped up in impeccable politeness off course and right before he was Gilgulled where others usually where curled up into a little ball begging for mercy. Heylel had balls. Razz )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Leon looked at you for a while then he simply nodded. "Very well as long as you are okey." He said but he still seamed rather concerned

His expression closed up like a granite fist as he glanced at Leon and then away from him; clearly he did not wish to continue talking about how he was doing. "Keep her attended; with long enough time and cleverness she might be able to work out of those bonds," he said just as Udella told him to take her to the other prisoners.

He frowned, then looked up at Adley again, "Amicus Magnus, there are things you need to remember... memories that appear to have hidden themselves away from you, when you suffered that hit. I'm going to have to look for them, but I promise, I will not try to intrude on anything else that you might not wish to share... I know what to look for, and I would not even ask this if it weren't utterly crucial... Do you trust me in this?"

His brows knit together in mild confusion. "Yes, I have hit my head; there are a few memories that are hazy but this can happen with such an injury and I have heard they may return in their own time. Is this not so? Nothing has prevented me from doing my duty," he said with a frown. "Has it?" he asked, in a slightly different tone, less sure than he had sounded before. For a moment he looked withdrawn, considering the prospect and then decided quickly. "If you feel that this must be done to secure the success of our mission, then we should do so and then continue on our campaign. The day grows shorter as we speak."

// It's ok, he's been lucky so far really considering all that's happened. Paradox is a bitch, that is the lesson, lol never trust it. Sorry Colin >.>; And yeah it seems like the early Traditions could sometimes be ah...well, like Colin said, they're still humans. English isn't even easy to learn if it's your first language. I remember taking a grammar class when I was in 7th grade and was like, wtf is this? Stuff I had been doing all along because I was used to it was called into question, I had to diagram WHY and it was the only language class I struggled in at first lol. Tandem to that, I took French and that language grammar made much more sense except for grammatical gender for objects.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:49 pm

His expression closed up like a granite fist as he glanced at Leon and then away from him; clearly he did not wish to continue talking about how he was doing. "Keep her attended; with long enough time and cleverness she might be able to work out of those bonds," he said just as Udella told him to take her to the other prisoners.

Leon glanced at you then he sigh and nodded.
"I will watch over the girl Sodalis and make sure she don't get out of the rope."
He assured you as he gently let the Diedne girl away, that was a the problem with the non warrior Houses and while they where generally unwise to have on the battlefield, it was not that you or Carmon or others from the more warlike Houses should be cruel, it was preferable if they where not but you had been taught to do what had to be done, you had been taught to be wary of prisoners and you had been taught to do the dirty work so kind young Jerbiton did not have to and there was always a danger that a Jerbiton or any of them really would be to soft on the girl and not tighten the bonds enough or let their guard down, kindness was good, but Leon looked very uneasy about taking the young Diedne maga captive and that could spell trouble, he moved of though to place Allison with the older captive and her servant.

(OOC: Well reality do know how to smack a mage where it hurts. Like one of my friends who play other WoD games but not allot of Mage say, I never had this problem with vampires. Razz)

(OOC 2: I started learning English when I was five and I still struggle with the grammar.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:11 pm

"I do not think anyone have tried, usually when that...ritual is performed we try to get it done as quickly and humanely as possible, but I am not a Caul young man I would not even begin to know how to do what you propose, I know if two powerful spirit healers that might have some ideas about that but for me, there are no sides to an Avatar, there is nothing to twist, they just are."
Udella said and she sounded confused.
Colin nodded thoughtfully, "And yet the Cauls are able to do what they do... I suspect that it might be possible to make an anti-Caul, but no, it would not be easy... nor quick. I know of a third who, once he makes Master rank, will likely surpass the two others, and at that point, the three might begin to crack the secrets..."

"Yes both we and the Nephandi it seams stole this serum from the Union and I have no idea myself why it would not work to ingest the foul thing. I do know that my client who was on it for a year still have some nasty side effects, it seams to me those who are on it for a few days are fine but longer exposure to it can lead to problems...and yes there should be more research one on it before it was given to helpless prisoners against their will."
The Tytalus said and nodded.
"I guess something could be learned from studying your Resonance while on the serum, perhaps a sample of your stored Quintessence and for our more scientific members a sample of blood, perhaps something could be learned..."
He nodded, "I hear tell it contains Primium particles... that would make sense. And well explain the lingering side effects after extended use."

"I would not have wanted to contemplate that either in your situation."
Allison said and grimaced.
"And that other shoe always drops when it is the least convenient..."
He nodded, "Good old Murphy... If it can go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible time."

"Yeah...I guess she do, and there is really nothing that can be said to make her feel better. I mean it is not like you can go over to her and say sorry you will be Gilgulled would you like a hug. And her grief, being forced to give the last mercy to your own kid that...is rough."
The young mage said and shook her head sadly.
He shook his head, "No, there's nothing that can really console her... Though you are incorrect in one assumption. No-one forced her to offer that last mercy to her daughter. I offered her the opportunity; one last spell before I administered the serum. Had she not accepted, I, or someone else would have offered that mercy in short order... but she accepted, and let her daughter go herself."

"It is horrible...I wish that ritual did not exist. It was Guernicus the Founder who invented it right? He deserve a good kick to the nuts for creating it and no it should not be used, not by any of the factions...but it is and it is wrong and it is scary and you are not getting my forgiveness for doing that to Cotta."
Allison said angrily and looked demonstratively away.
He shrugged, "Bonisagus, I believe... He did not know what he was doing at the time... And I can hardly expect your forgiveness for something I myself can't forgive."

"Well that sounds reasonable what you are saying Traditionalist but it is not what my Mentor have been teaching me and she have said to only listen to her and no one else..."
The young mage protested.
He nodded, "Then how is this for an argument: how about you ask around and try to make up your own mind about the state of the world?"

"Yeah there is vampires and Paradox and really messing shit up with magick and probably a few other ways and that is scary as shit, why would anyone want to be reminded of that?"
She asked wide eyed.
He frowned, "Nobody would want to be reminded of that. However, I think being reminded, as a warning against hubris, would be healthy for Mage society as a whole..."

"I guess you are right then that what happened to William was illegal by your laws...do that mean he will not be hurt by the Traditions for ending up in a Labyrinth?"
Allison asked then she was silent for a moment and looked worried.
"Is there any chance of that happening to me as a punishment for being trained by a Nephandus? For I will be no one's slave and if anyone tries to make me one I will murder them in their sleep magick or no!"
He shook his head, "No, but... illegal assassination attempts are another matter. Someone has something to hide... As for you, well, with that attitude, indentured servitude is going to go right out the window, for certain. There are other punitive responses available."

"I am fine I am not that fragile as I said it is just awkward, when I want to make a movement and forget the rope is there, so don't worry about it."
The girl said and gave you a slight smile. Leon was then ordered by Udella to take Allison to the other prisoner and he gently lead her away towards where Dalett and Mala was being kept. Allison looked a little nervous but it seamed you had calmed her fears about how she would be treated. You where left alone, well as alone as you could be in a large chamber filled with other magi, with Adley and Udella.
His brows knit together in mild confusion. "Yes, I have hit my head; there are a few memories that are hazy but this can happen with such an injury and I have heard they may return in their own time. Is this not so? Nothing has prevented me from doing my duty," he said with a frown. "Has it?" he asked, in a slightly different tone, less sure than he had sounded before. For a moment he looked withdrawn, considering the prospect and then decided quickly. "If you feel that this must be done to secure the success of our mission, then we should do so and then continue on our campaign. The day grows shorter as we speak."
He nodded to Adley, then looked up at Udella, "Very well, let's do this, then... No time to waste."

((OOC: Heylel had ALL the parts, really. Razz ))

((OOC2: English is... kind of special, really. It's the single most useful language to have a good grasp on, considering its spread across the globe, and it has all these nifty words and bits of grammar liberally swiped from other languages. In honesty, my grasp of English may be better than my grasp of my first language, Norwegian - but that's likely due to a few most excellent "teachers", such as J.R.R. Tolkien, Douglas Adams, and in later years Terry Pratchett, and so on... They all do wonderfully ruthless things to the language. Razz ))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Colin nodded thoughtfully, "And yet the Cauls are able to do what they do... I suspect that it might be possible to make an anti-Caul, but no, it would not be easy... nor quick. I know of a third who, once he makes Master rank, will likely surpass the two others, and at that point, the three might begin to crack the secrets..."

"Everything is possible, but without a place to even start to unravel how such a feat could be accomplished it is not likely to happen anytime soon, we can hope the man you speak of will be able to do such a thing for it would be a wonder, but until then I like I said have no idea how to do something like that."
Udella said and glanced at you and shook her head.

He nodded, "I hear tell it contains Primium particles... that would make sense. And well explain the lingering side effects after extended use."

"Yes there is still Primium in his blood, and his doctors suspect some of it have stored up in his brain, he suffers from massive headaches, nausea, fainting fits and continued pain and irritation in the muscle tissue that was used for the injections, I am quite concerned about him."
She said and frowned.

He nodded, "Good old Murphy... If it can go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible time."

"Yeah ain't that the truth."
The apprentice muttered and looked around at the dead bodies of her fellows sadly.

He shook his head, "No, there's nothing that can really console her... Though you are incorrect in one assumption. No-one forced her to offer that last mercy to her daughter. I offered her the opportunity; one last spell before I administered the serum. Had she not accepted, I, or someone else would have offered that mercy in short order... but she accepted, and let her daughter go herself."

"I see, it must still really suck though, she did care about her daughter, but I guess both of them preferred that Dalett did it herself...but that is a terrible burden to bare and combine that with how scared she must be..."
Allison glanced mournfully at the older Nephanda.
"I really wish there was something I could say."

He shrugged, "Bonisagus, I believe... He did not know what he was doing at the time... And I can hardly expect your forgiveness for something I myself can't forgive."

The young mage looked scared and angry she glared at you a bit then she just sigh.

He nodded, "Then how is this for an argument: how about you ask around and try to make up your own mind about the state of the world?"

"I...ehm guess that is fair."
The the said, she so wanted to protest but she found no good arguments and so she just gave you a bit sullen look and nodded.

He frowned, "Nobody would want to be reminded of that. However, I think being reminded, as a warning against hubris, would be healthy for Mage society as a whole..."

"I guess, but it is not comfortable to think about and I can avoid becoming an arrogant jerk without thinking I could end up loosing all this...though I guess I am not completely out of the wood on...damn."
She said and shivered and looked down.

He shook his head, "No, but... illegal assassination attempts are another matter. Someone has something to hide... As for you, well, with that attitude, indentured servitude is going to go right out the window, for certain. There are other punitive responses available."

"I guess there are other punitive responses...bad ones."
The girl muttered and she seamed afraid.
"Well death is better than slavery...though if the if the only other option is Gilgul...well then off course I will do whatever I have to in order to avoid that..."
She muttered bitterly.

He nodded to Adley, then looked up at Udella, "Very well, let's do this, then... No time to waste."

Udella gave you a concerned look then she nodded and she begun to cast a complex Mentem spell, doing quick, complex hand sigils while she muttered softly in Latin, for a moment you feel dizzy and then everything went black. What those around you saw where you falling to the ground and Udella barely catching you and laying you down gently. For Adley you are still there, awake and beside him though only he see you now, in his mind, for everyone else you seam to have fainted.

You stand on a green field turned red with blood, men and women and even children lay dead, some are in armor others in robes. Magi who where recovering after being healed where slowly getting to their feet, their clothes where old, robes or tunics and pants, you see Crexia standing there in battle armor with her whip keeping a close eye on the small clearing, from in between the trees now and again you hear blades clash or the sounds of a spell doing harm to another person, there where screams of pain and fear. Clearly you where standing there in the aftermath of a battle.

Before you stood an impressive looking man, most would call him handsome, he was tall and slender of a wiry built with long limbs and high cheekbones, his face was narrow, his lips firm and his eyes black and abound shaped, his hair was short, black and curly and his skin was so dark it was one shade away from a raven's feather. The man wore red robes and armor, he was armed with a crossbow but that was probably not his most dangerous weapon. This was an experienced soldier, a veteran of many battles though he still looked fairly young, and while he could not look more different from your Cabalmate you could see many of the same mannerisms in him, the slightly nervous energy, the air of nobility he often himself did not know he had, ever watchful eyes that kept going to the prisoners gathered in the middle of the clearing and the trees.

You where beginning to feel funny, as if you where not sure yourself in you where a man sent into your friend's mind to rescue him, or if you where a Tremere on a battlefield, a victor in a battle with a group of Diedne, the ground underfoot felt real, the smell of sweat, blood, fire and disturbed dirt felt real, the screams from the trees sure sounded real and yet planted in your mind there was one task...you had to get your friend out, you where not completely sure where you where taking him but you knew signs would come...and for everyone's safety you had to get him out.

Behind your friend, you saw a grand pine tree grow and that stirred something in you, not that you completely knew what it meant but you knew somehow it was important and you had to bring your friend there, the question was if he would go.

(OOC: Yes they had all the parts indeed, they where quite alchemical. Razz )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:53 pm

He realised he hadn't answered his question. Did he trust him? He did. But damnably, he was not entirely sure why he did. Just that he did. His mind tried to fit him and Carmon into spots next to one another but they did not fit. He looked at Master Udella and then to Colin. "A question of how this is done, however, comes to bear. I just wish to make it known that I will not do anything against the Code, not that I would think you would suggest it," he added quickly, so as to not insult them. "I am not sure what you are about to do, though I gave my permission as I said, if such is required, to ensure the success of our mission as long as it is within what I have sworn." He looked towards the elder maga a moment longer as if asking her a question and then directed his attention to Colin, figuring he was the one to initiate this - he must be higher in status than he was. "To answer your question, yes I do trust you."

// Douglas Adams was the first writer that made me actually laugh out loud at a book. I got the Hitchhiker's series for Xmas one year and stayed in bed reading it - then I found the Dirk Gently books.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 pm

"A question of how this is done, however, comes to bear. I just wish to make it known that I will not do anything against the Code, not that I would think you would suggest it," he added quickly, so as to not insult them. "

"It is a complex Mentem spell that will allow another to help you get back the memories you have lost...it will feel a bit strange perhaps though most likely you will not much notice it is being done before it is completed...in effect I am sending your friend into a part of your mind, as long as you consent to it the Code is not being broken by anyone."
Udella said before she cast her spell.

"I am not sure what you are about to do, though I gave my permission as I said, if such is required, to ensure the success of our mission as long as it is within what I have sworn." He looked towards the elder maga a moment longer as if asking her a question and then directed his attention to Colin, figuring he was the one to initiate this - he must be higher in status than he was. "To answer your question, yes I do trust you."

"Nothing illegal is being done, nor will you ever loose control of your actions, my spell can guide but not affect your free will Sodalis."
Udella assured you. It was clear she was using magick from her words and gestures but you really felt nothing, you only saw your friend stand beside you on the battlefield as before, was there a small shift? Where something different, you did not think so. You saw the Quesitor still there, but she was busy with something on the ground....nothing really seamed different, had her spell even done anything?
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:36 am

"Very good," he said with a nod to her. "Yes, I do consent to this working as he sees it is necessary and I assume you concur or you would not do this now, of all times." The Latin chanting did not seem to produce any effect, the Quesitor had afterward gone to tend something else. Everything appeared as before. "Is that all?" he said in a skeptical tone, still looking to find some difference but nothing was apparent. He looked at Colin. "Sodalis, do you notice anything that has happened?"

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:33 am

"Everything is possible, but without a place to even start to unravel how such a feat could be accomplished it is not likely to happen anytime soon, we can hope the man you speak of will be able to do such a thing for it would be a wonder, but until then I like I said have no idea how to do something like that."
Udella said and glanced at you and shook her head.
Colin frowned, "We do have a place... ah, a discussion for later; it's not a pleasant place..."

"Yes there is still Primium in his blood, and his doctors suspect some of it have stored up in his brain, he suffers from massive headaches, nausea, fainting fits and continued pain and irritation in the muscle tissue that was used for the injections, I am quite concerned about him."
She said and frowned.
He grimaced, "God, I hope there's a way to extricate those particles eventually... Magnificent metal, but like any heavy metal, you don't want to be exposed to too much..."

"I see, it must still really suck though, she did care about her daughter, but I guess both of them preferred that Dalett did it herself...but that is a terrible burden to bare and combine that with how scared she must be..."
Allison glanced mournfully at the older Nephanda.
"I really wish there was something I could say."
He nodded, "Perhaps you don't have to say anything, just be there..."

"I guess, but it is not comfortable to think about and I can avoid becoming an arrogant jerk without thinking I could end up loosing all this...though I guess I am not completely out of the wood on...damn."
She said and shivered and looked down.
He nodded gravely, "In my honest opinion, I think your Avatar's chances are quite good. Yours... not quite as good, but still far better than you might have expected from, say, the Union..."

"I guess there are other punitive responses...bad ones."
The girl muttered and she seamed afraid.
"Well death is better than slavery...though if the if the only other option is Gilgul...well then off course I will do whatever I have to in order to avoid that..."
She muttered bitterly.
He shrugged, "I do believe there are options for imprisonment... and then there's Branding, which is... unpalatable, painful and liable to induce a reasonable amount of distrust in the ones who can see it... There is a range of punitive measures; it's not all death sentences of varying severity..."

He realised he hadn't answered his question. Did he trust him? He did. But damnably, he was not entirely sure why he did. Just that he did. His mind tried to fit him and Carmon into spots next to one another but they did not fit. He looked at Master Udella and then to Colin. "A question of how this is done, however, comes to bear. I just wish to make it known that I will not do anything against the Code, not that I would think you would suggest it," he added quickly, so as to not insult them. "I am not sure what you are about to do, though I gave my permission as I said, if such is required, to ensure the success of our mission as long as it is within what I have sworn." He looked towards the elder maga a moment longer as if asking her a question and then directed his attention to Colin, figuring he was the one to initiate this - he must be higher in status than he was. "To answer your question, yes I do trust you."
He nodded, "Thank you. I would not have tried this without your trust and approval."

Udella gave you a concerned look then she nodded and she begun to cast a complex Mentem spell, doing quick, complex hand sigils while she muttered softly in Latin, for a moment you feel dizzy and then everything went black. What those around you saw where you falling to the ground and Udella barely catching you and laying you down gently. For Adley you are still there, awake and beside him though only he see you now, in his mind, for everyone else you seam to have fainted.

You stand on a green field turned red with blood, men and women and even children lay dead, some are in armor others in robes. Magi who where recovering after being healed where slowly getting to their feet, their clothes where old, robes or tunics and pants, you see Crexia standing there in battle armor with her whip keeping a close eye on the small clearing, from in between the trees now and again you hear blades clash or the sounds of a spell doing harm to another person, there where screams of pain and fear. Clearly you where standing there in the aftermath of a battle.

Before you stood an impressive looking man, most would call him handsome, he was tall and slender of a wiry built with long limbs and high cheekbones, his face was narrow, his lips firm and his eyes black and abound shaped, his hair was short, black and curly and his skin was so dark it was one shade away from a raven's feather. The man wore red robes and armor, he was armed with a crossbow but that was probably not his most dangerous weapon. This was an experienced soldier, a veteran of many battles though he still looked fairly young, and while he could not look more different from your Cabalmate you could see many of the same mannerisms in him, the slightly nervous energy, the air of nobility he often himself did not know he had, ever watchful eyes that kept going to the prisoners gathered in the middle of the clearing and the trees.

You where beginning to feel funny, as if you where not sure yourself in you where a man sent into your friend's mind to rescue him, or if you where a Tremere on a battlefield, a victor in a battle with a group of Diedne, the ground underfoot felt real, the smell of sweat, blood, fire and disturbed dirt felt real, the screams from the trees sure sounded real and yet planted in your mind there was one task...you had to get your friend out, you where not completely sure where you where taking him but you knew signs would come...and for everyone's safety you had to get him out.

Behind your friend, you saw a grand pine tree grow and that stirred something in you, not that you completely knew what it meant but you knew somehow it was important and you had to bring your friend there, the question was if he would go.
"Very good," he said with a nod to her. "Yes, I do consent to this working as he sees it is necessary and I assume you concur or you would not do this now, of all times." The Latin chanting did not seem to produce any effect, the Quesitor had afterward gone to tend something else. Everything appeared as before. "Is that all?" he said in a skeptical tone, still looking to find some difference but nothing was apparent. He looked at Colin. "Sodalis, do you notice anything that has happened?"
He frowned, taking a moment to get his bearings, such as they were, "Yes, Amicus, I do... You may lower your crossbow for now; I do not think it will be needed for now..."
He rubbed at his temples for a moment, "Something here is incorrect; I cannot put my finger on precisely what... I think I could, moments ago, but... we are not where we are meant to be. I can see where our path leads, though - we must go to the great pine, and look for the next marker..."

((OOC: Dude, I think you'd LOVE Spider Robinson, then. The Callahan's series in particular. Very Happy Come to think of it, I STILL don't know where my copy of The Callahan Chronicals disappeared to... Sad ))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:49 am

He frowned, taking a moment to get his bearings, such as they were, "Yes, Amicus, I do... You may lower your crossbow for now; I do not think it will be needed for now..."

"That is just when you're apt to need it," he replied but lowered it, though he didn't stow it away. "I don't notice any difference myself. Though that is what the honored Quesitor said may happen."

He rubbed at his temples for a moment, "Something here is incorrect; I cannot put my finger on precisely what... I think I could, moments ago, but... we are not where we are meant to be. I can see where our path leads, though - we must go to the great pine, and look for the next marker..."

"You were to assist me in finding memories you said I lost," he said. He gave him an odd look. "We're leaving the skirmish site? What about everyone here, who will watch over them?" He gave a concerned glance to those in the nonmilitary Houses, especially Leon and the Cara, the presence of the latter he was still wondering about. The protective feeling he had felt amplified, he did not wish to leave them."Are we on some special mission? There seem an odd assortment of people who are not...usually on the battlefield," he added. "Great pine...?" he repeated, more to himself as he scanned around him. "As you order; I have placed myself into your care," he agreed though his body language spoke of reluctance. "We will go there and then come back quickly. Perhaps we will find my sword there," he said sardonically.

// oooh, and on they go to my ever growing booklist. The library looks like it sometimes has a copy of the first in that series.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:24 am

"Very good," he said with a nod to her. "Yes, I do consent to this working as he sees it is necessary and I assume you concur or you would not do this now, of all times."

"Very good and yes I do see it as necessary Sodalis or I would never suggest invading your privacy in such a way."
Udella said and nodded before she begun her working.

Colin frowned, "We do have a place... ah, a discussion for later; it's not a pleasant place..."

The old Quesitor nodded at that.
"Agreed it is not a plesant place and this is something it is perhaps better to discuss in some other location."

He grimaced, "God, I hope there's a way to extricate those particles eventually... Magnificent metal, but like any heavy metal, you don't want to be exposed to too much..."

"So far it do not seam to be, perhaps some sort of dialysis would work, but I am not a medical professional so I would not know. From what he says, medical scans show some of the metal lodged in his brain, not much and it do not seam to affect his magickal abilities but there are still problems."
Udella said and frowned.
"It do not seam this happens when the serum is used for a short amount of time though."
She nodded towards Olamide.
"It was used on her for a Quiet once when there where no other way to control her insanity, but it was only for two days, once I heard about my client's condition I asked her if she would let herself be examined she agreed and no trace of Primium was found in her body, it appear there have to be some build up before it becomes an issue."

He nodded, "Perhaps you don't have to say anything, just be there..."

The young mage nodded at that and sigh, she glanced over at Dalett.
"Yeah...perhaps you are right...at times that is all one can do, and I can at least do that if I am allowed to."

He nodded gravely, "In my honest opinion, I think your Avatar's chances are quite good. Yours... not quite as good, but still far better than you might have expected from, say, the Union..."

Allison looked at you for a moment then she looked down.
"That is quite a relief, not that I want to die, but my Avatar's life is more important than my own."

He shrugged, "I do believe there are options for imprisonment... and then there's Branding, which is... unpalatable, painful and liable to induce a reasonable amount of distrust in the ones who can see it... There is a range of punitive measures; it's not all death sentences of varying severity..."

"What is this Branding you speak of? Being marked as you would a cow? I guess that would not be so bad if it is only that, humiliating yes but tolerable. Imprisonment...well that is also better than death."
The girl said but she did seam to be rather gloomy, none of these prospects seamed very good to her.
"At least there is a chance of survival."
She said and sigh.

he agreed though his body language spoke of reluctance. "We will go there and then come back quickly. Perhaps we will find my sword there," he said sardonically.

When the two of you walked over to the great pine tree, if you walked over there, you would see a man sitting under it. The Flambeau warrior would recognize him at once, the Diedne man he and Carmon had been tasked with capturing and bringing back to their commander alive...Arto, you remember now his name is Arto meaning rock in his own language. You remember seeing him at Tribunals before the war, a handsome man with hair the color of a dying fire, eyes like river stones and a short beard the same color as his hair. You can picture him as the proud druid arguing for his Covenant at Tribunal meetings but you also remember his screams as you crushed his hands, a victim of the war really as you do not think this man ever sacrificed anyone, and yet the decree of House Guernicus was clear, they all had to die. You remember nearly begging the man to eat on the journey...where...here then since here he was, though it was odd he was not with the other prisoners, trying to keep him alive as pain and eventually illness from his broken hands weakened him, both you and Carmon had tried to be kind to him once what needed to be done was over but Arto was angry, and understandably so and he soon was weakened. Now he sat there looking up at you, his broken hands resting in his lap, fire in those gray eyes.
"I am the guardian of the path..."
Arto said softly but with pride in his voice.
"If you want to reclaim what you have lost son of fire you have to pass me."

(OOC: Reading lists never gets any shorter now do they? Smile )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:13 am

"So far it do not seam to be, perhaps some sort of dialysis would work, but I am not a medical professional so I would not know. From what he says, medical scans show some of the metal lodged in his brain, not much and it do not seam to affect his magickal abilities but there are still problems."
Udella said and frowned.
"It do not seam this happens when the serum is used for a short amount of time though."
She nodded towards Olamide.
"It was used on her for a Quiet once when there where no other way to control her insanity, but it was only for two days, once I heard about my client's condition I asked her if she would let herself be examined she agreed and no trace of Primium was found in her body, it appear there have to be some build up before it becomes an issue."
Colin nodded, "The same with the silver worker's curse. Careful though I might be, someday I may start to turn a greyish blue... Hum, a year's time, though, that does unpleasantly enough significantly increase the risk of an accidental overdose, as well... Not enough to be fatal, but enough to accelerate the buildup of residue..."

Allison looked at you for a moment then she looked down.
"That is quite a relief, not that I want to die, but my Avatar's life is more important than my own."
He nodded, "I quite understand... As for me, there are other Avatars more important than mine; she came back in this time and place for them... How it all plays out in the end, though? We shall see..."

"What is this Branding you speak of? Being marked as you would a cow? I guess that would not be so bad if it is only that, humiliating yes but tolerable. Imprisonment...well that is also better than death."
The girl said but she did seam to be rather gloomy, none of these prospects seamed very good to her.
"At least there is a chance of survival."
She said and sigh.
He grimaced, "Branding is... not necessarily a mark on the flesh. It marks the Avatar, as an identifier of what the Mage did wrong. And it is prone to hurt badly for some time, though permanent damage is apparently not something that happens. On the bright side, if you are Branded, that would mean that you get to live, since such a mark, I believe, won't necessarily follow to the next incarnation..."

"That is just when you're apt to need it," he replied but lowered it, though he didn't stow it away. "I don't notice any difference myself. Though that is what the honored Quesitor said may happen."
He nodded, "I am... in your mind, seeing what you see. You wouldn't see a difference right away, unless I point out changes to you..."

"You were to assist me in finding memories you said I lost," he said. He gave him an odd look. "We're leaving the skirmish site? What about everyone here, who will watch over them?" He gave a concerned glance to those in the nonmilitary Houses, especially Leon and the Cara, the presence of the latter he was still wondering about. The protective feeling he had felt amplified, he did not wish to leave them."Are we on some special mission? There seem an odd assortment of people who are not...usually on the battlefield," he added. "Great pine...?" he repeated, more to himself as he scanned around him. "As you order; I have placed myself into your care," he agreed though his body language spoke of reluctance. "We will go there and then come back quickly. Perhaps we will find my sword there," he said sardonically.
He smiled thinly, "We are indeed on a special mission..."
He pointed to Cara, "She, for example, has proved instrumental in unraveling illusion and deception. Without her, we would not have been able to pinpoint and take down a mighty adversary before her army of stone bugs could inflict serious damage on us..."
He sighed, "Our walk will be longer than just to the pine and back - how long, I do not know, but I hope it will not be long. Explaining the destination is... a little difficult, but one aspect of this battlefield is... incorrect, and we must walk until we find it corrected."

When the two of you walked over to the great pine tree, if you walked over there, you would see a man sitting under it. The Flambeau warrior would recognize him at once, the Diedne man he and Carmon had been tasked with capturing and bringing back to their commander alive...Arto, you remember now his name is Arto meaning rock in his own language. You remember seeing him at Tribunals before the war, a handsome man with hair the color of a dying fire, eyes like river stones and a short beard the same color as his hair. You can picture him as the proud druid arguing for his Covenant at Tribunal meetings but you also remember his screams as you crushed his hands, a victim of the war really as you do not think this man ever sacrificed anyone, and yet the decree of House Guernicus was clear, they all had to die. You remember nearly begging the man to eat on the journey...where...here then since here he was, though it was odd he was not with the other prisoners, trying to keep him alive as pain and eventually illness from his broken hands weakened him, both you and Carmon had tried to be kind to him once what needed to be done was over but Arto was angry, and understandably so and he soon was weakened. Now he sat there looking up at you, his broken hands resting in his lap, fire in those gray eyes.
"I am the guardian of the path..."
Arto said softly but with pride in his voice.
"If you want to reclaim what you have lost son of fire you have to pass me."
He scratched the back of his head for a moment, "I remember you, Arto, though for some reason, I am not certain why, or if I should..."
He looked back at the Flambeau, "You are the Fire, I am but the guide on the path... This challenge, this riddle... is yours."

((OOC: They never do... Oh, and as for the Callahan's books - I'd recommend getting the Callahan Chronicals, as they contain not only the first three books, but also some extra materials. And then there's Callahan's Lady, followed by Lady Slings the Booze, about the ongoings of a very special brothel... Recommended reading before continuing the Callahan/Jake Stonebender series. Razz ))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:02 am

Colin nodded, "The same with the silver worker's curse. Careful though I might be, someday I may start to turn a greyish blue... Hum, a year's time, though, that does unpleasantly enough significantly increase the risk of an accidental overdose, as well... Not enough to be fatal, but enough to accelerate the buildup of residue..."

"Ah yes I have met a few...grayish blue craftsmen in my time, though methods are safer these days."
Udella said and nodded.
"I am not sure if there have to be a full year for there to be issues, I have recommended that letters be sent out to anyone who have been on the serum for some time, that includes anyone who have had the unfortunate pleasure of being guests of the Union for some time. I also do not know what a overdose of that serum would do, not much research on it have been done, and no one would not want more of that residue than need be, and especially not before we know how to clean it out again."

He nodded, "I quite understand... As for me, there are other Avatars more important than mine; she came back in this time and place for them... How it all plays out in the end, though? We shall see..."

"I understand. I have no one like that. I have some friends and...my Mentor but no one I value that much, that must be nice."
Allison said softly and glanced over at you.

He grimaced, "Branding is... not necessarily a mark on the flesh. It marks the Avatar, as an identifier of what the Mage did wrong. And it is prone to hurt badly for some time, though permanent damage is apparently not something that happens.

"What...one's Avatar is marked like you would cattle...ouch...fuck!"
The girl said and she looked rather shocked.
"Ehm...do you know anyone that have had this done to them? How did they react? Is it very bad?"
She asked fearfully.

On the bright side, if you are Branded, that would mean that you get to live, since such a mark, I believe, won't necessarily follow to the next incarnation..."

"I guess that is good and if my Avatar is not permanently damaged it is better than dying but damn that are some scary shit."
Allison said and shook her head.

He scratched the back of his head for a moment, "I remember you, Arto, though for some reason, I am not certain why, or if I should..."
He looked back at the Flambeau, "You are the Fire, I am but the guide on the path... This challenge, this riddle... is yours."

Arto looked at you and smiled a little.
"There is a tiny sliver of you that might remember me, but no the memories you have of me is not yours, though it a life long from the time we are seeing now you know me."
The Diedne leaned his head against the great tree.
"But yes the riddle is for the son of fire to solve, you can guide, but you can not walk the path for him."
He said calmly then he returned his gaze to the Flambeau.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:47 pm

He smiled thinly, "We are indeed on a special mission..." He pointed to Cara, "She, for example, has proved instrumental in unraveling illusion and deception. Without her, we would not have been able to pinpoint and take down a mighty adversary before her army of stone bugs could inflict serious damage on us..."

"She saved our lives then, yet I cannot help but wish she was somewhere safer," he said. "Back in her covenant with her protections and guards. Her skills are rare and it is dangerous here. We are supposed to be the ones here in the field, clearing dangers for the other Houses. There is also a Jerbiton with us. He was uncomfortable with handling prisoners yet did not realise he was endangering us all if he were to tie them up improperly. Were we to attempt diplomacy with someone?" he asked. "His skills would be better put to other uses, I feel but I am sure our Commander knows best."

As they walked together toward the tree, he turned to Colin. "I have memories that appear and disappear as if by some great tide. I recall a man...that was like a pater to me, and yet not my pater. There was a small woman that I was tying up, wearing a white dress. A Diedne?" He shook his head. "The more I try to remember, the more the images fade away." He walked in silence a moment as they approached the tree. "Artu should not be here," he said to Colin as he saw the flash of copper-red hair under the tree. "We took him last campaign." He did not remember where, or the exact reason why, but he had been ordered to take him in and yet here he was. That did not make sense. He looked at the man's crumpled hands and frowned. "How did you escape?" he asked the Diedne. "You should be with the rest of the Diedne prisoners," he added, though that was not quite right, either. Was it?

"I am the guardian of the path..." Arto said softly but with pride in his voice. "If you want to reclaim what you have lost son of fire you have to pass me."

He turned to Colin with mild confusion and then exhaustion plain on his face. He was deeply tired but could not say why, tired of decisions, and puzzles and challenges. These were not warrior's thoughts, he chastised himself. The comfort of being a soldier came at a different kind of price. Get an order, fulfill the order.  Protect the people. It seemed simple, but it wasn't. Artu was proof of that. The Quesitors told them to eradicate the Diedne, for the good of the Order. Simple. Yet not. Some of these people were friends, others he could not believe participated in diabolism, not directly. Perhaps they too were under orders. His head hurt. "I have defeated you once, Artu," he said to the man. "If I must, I will do so again."

// noted, I did see there was a complete set that is harder to find, that might be why if it has extra stories. Also I shut my window and lost my post >. < dang it.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:08 pm

That did not make sense. He looked at the man's crumpled hands and frowned. "How did you escape?" he asked the Diedne. "You should be with the rest of the Diedne prisoners," he added, though that was not quite right, either. Was it?

The Diedne looked up at you and frowned.
"Oh I did not escape young Flambeau, I was taken to your commander and tortured...for days...I held out for as long as I could, but eventually I told her what she wanted to know...some of it was even true."
He said and gave a slight laugh though there where no real humor in his voice.
"At least my death after your commander was done with me was swift enough...no I am only a memory, even so here I am, blocking your path and make no mistake it is a part you have to walk if you want to save them all."
The Druid said and he made a gesture with one of his broken hands and seamed to regret it for he gave a sore groan and carefully placed in hand back in his lap.

His head hurt. "I have defeated you once, Artu," he said to the man. "If I must, I will do so again."

"Ah yes...off course you can, strike me, cut me down, burn me it is not like I can stop you, would you like to break some more of my bones? I am a wounded man, without my hands I can not well work your Hermetic arts nor mix herbs or carve offerings into my own flesh, the tools of my own magick, and the pain make it hard to focus on something as delicate as spellwork, yes you defeated me, you defeated me good, however do you think striking me down will open the path for you? Do you think it will get you the answers you must find?"
Artu said and cocked his head to the side.
"The choice is up to you, but consider this I am hardly the threat to your little group here now am I, somewhere a wounded dragon is waking, and unlike me her crippling do not make her defenseless and unless you figure out this riddle, she will come for you all."
He said then leaned his head against the tree again and looked at you with sad but knowing eyes, and there was not a hint of fear in that gray gaze.
"So what will it be son of fire, will you strike me down? Or walk a different path?"

(OOC: Yeah I hate it when that happens, the forum sure is a hungry one.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:48 pm

"Oh I did not escape young Flambeau, I was taken to your commander and tortured...for days...I held out for as long as I could, but eventually I told her what she wanted to know...some of it was even true." He said and gave a slight laugh though there where no real humor in his voice. "At least my death after your commander was done with me was swift enough...no I am only a memory, even so here I am, blocking your path and make no mistake it is a part you have to walk if you want to save them all."

"I am not sure I understand. But I want to save them. I could not spare you," he said, sorrowfully.

"Ah yes...off course you can, strike me, cut me down, burn me it is not like I can stop you, would you like to break some more of my bones? I am a wounded man, without my hands I can not well work your Hermetic arts nor mix herbs or carve offerings into my own flesh, the tools of my own magick, and the pain make it hard to focus on something as delicate as spellwork, yes you defeated me, you defeated me good, however do you think striking me down will open the path for you? Do you think it will get you the answers you must find?" Artu said and cocked his head to the side.

"That seems doubtful, it did not work for our commander, so you say." He did not like to be reminded of how badly he had hurt him yet he didn't flinch from it. "Then why are you here, of all people?"

"The choice is up to you, but consider this I am hardly the threat to your little group here now am I, somewhere a wounded dragon is waking, and unlike me her crippling do not make her defenseless and unless you figure out this riddle, she will come for you all." He said then leaned his head against the tree again and looked at you with sad but knowing eyes, and there was not a hint of fear in that gray gaze. "So what will it be son of fire, will you strike me down? Or walk a different path?"

"You are already down, I do not see any benefit of adding to your pain. I may have to tie you up, to take you back. No, that is not right. You say you are a memory, that you perished. You are here...to block my path. That cannot be permitted. I must do my duty." He seemed irritated, as if he could not line up two pieces of a picture that he was meant to see. "A dragon? What is this riddle you keep speaking about?"

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 pm

"I am not sure I understand. But I want to save them. I could not spare you," he said, sorrowfully.

"No you do not understand, not yet, but perhaps you will."
Artu said then he sigh and looked you right in the eyes for a moment.
"I know, this war...the cost of it was high though perhaps the blood spilled was a necessary sacrifice, ironic as that might be for a Diedne to say, ending up as the lamb having it's throat cut was not plesant though, not for any of us."
He said and shook his head.

"That seems doubtful, it did not work for our commander, so you say." He did not like to be reminded of how badly he had hurt him yet he didn't flinch from it. "Then why are you here, of all people?"

"Ah yes that is the question now is it not, and I do not have the answer to that, you do son of fire. It would be easy enough to make some speech that I am here to kick at your conscience, especially since in a future life you will hurt me again, not as badly but you will hurt me and stop me from using my magick...and hand me off to others who will hurt me more, history repeat itself now don't it?"
The Diedne said wryly.
"And there are others that you have hurt for the sake of protecting others, or just for a bit of added security. The girl in the white dress, she asked you to be allowed to cast one last spell and you denied you...ah yes I could be here as some mystical spear to jab at where it hurt in your conscience but that would be to easy not would it not, to obvious...no I do think you are the one who know why I am here after all I am just a memory so really you are creating me."
He said and grinned.
"So then son of fire why am I here? Perhaps I am here to remind you of things you have forgotten."

"You are already down, I do not see any benefit of adding to your pain. I may have to tie you up, to take you back. No, that is not right. You say you are a memory, that you perished. You are here...to block my path. That cannot be permitted. I must do my duty."

"Indeed I fear tying up a memory do little good son of fire, and not all blocks in a path are foes to be defeated...you have to find the right answer to pass so you can do your duty, not the right weapon."
Artu said and he sounded like an old wise man as he did so, though he did not look that old, tired yes but not old.

He seemed irritated, as if he could not line up two pieces of a picture that he was meant to see. "A dragon? What is this riddle you keep speaking about?"

"I am talking about a wounded soul out for blood, and you have with her the key to a dreaded solace that will allow her to finally give her peace...and yet you do not remember...if you want to remember the gift the now enemy but later sister gave you then you must get one of the cones from this sacred tree...so will you listen to the advice of one who are in the same situation, one who could have been a friend...perhaps more but who became and enemy and who will one day in the future be your brother...your memories can be found in the fruit of this pine...the question is if you will know how to get them so you can continue your path?"
Artu said and he pointed at the pine cones ganging from the branches of the great tree he was sitting by then he winced again and let his hand gently drop he really should keep those wounded hands still.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:37 pm

"Ah yes I have met a few...grayish blue craftsmen in my time, though methods are safer these days."
Udella said and nodded.
"I am not sure if there have to be a full year for there to be issues, I have recommended that letters be sent out to anyone who have been on the serum for some time, that includes anyone who have had the unfortunate pleasure of being guests of the Union for some time. I also do not know what a overdose of that serum would do, not much research on it have been done, and no one would not want more of that residue than need be, and especially not before we know how to clean it out again."
Colin nodded, "I am inclined to suspect an overdose of the serum works much like any other heavy metal... A little at a time, and the body can flush it out unaided. A little too much, and the body retains what it cannot flush out. A little too much a little too often... and you get toxicity."

"I understand. I have no one like that. I have some friends and...my Mentor but no one I value that much, that must be nice."
Allison said softly and glanced over at you.
He smiled wryly, "They make me worried for them, and vice versa, and I wouldn't have it any other way..."

"What...one's Avatar is marked like you would cattle...ouch...fuck!"
The girl said and she looked rather shocked.
"Ehm...do you know anyone that have had this done to them? How did they react? Is it very bad?"
She asked fearfully.
He grimaced, "There was pain - pretty bad pain, at that - but it was bearable. Actually, it seems a goodly piece of blue apatite will soothe the aches of an injured Avatar, like aloe for the soul, if you will. I was handed such a piece myself, when I was... well, suffice to say, it soothed almost as well as the presence of high quality Quintessence."

"She saved our lives then, yet I cannot help but wish she was somewhere safer," he said. "Back in her covenant with her protections and guards. Her skills are rare and it is dangerous here. We are supposed to be the ones here in the field, clearing dangers for the other Houses. There is also a Jerbiton with us. He was uncomfortable with handling prisoners yet did not realise he was endangering us all if he were to tie them up improperly. Were we to attempt diplomacy with someone?" he asked. "His skills would be better put to other uses, I feel but I am sure our Commander knows best."
He nodded, "A great, vital mission to stop a great evil... Every remotely combat capable member received the call; the threat is greater than the Diedne. And yes, it is dangerous here, but the danger of not bringing everyone is far greater..."

As they walked together toward the tree, he turned to Colin. "I have memories that appear and disappear as if by some great tide. I recall a man...that was like a pater to me, and yet not my pater. There was a small woman that I was tying up, wearing a white dress. A Diedne?" He shook his head. "The more I try to remember, the more the images fade away." He walked in silence a moment as they approached the tree. "Artu should not be here," he said to Colin as he saw the flash of copper-red hair under the tree. "We took him last campaign." He did not remember where, or the exact reason why, but he had been ordered to take him in and yet here he was. That did not make sense. He looked at the man's crumpled hands and frowned. "How did you escape?" he asked the Diedne. "You should be with the rest of the Diedne prisoners," he added, though that was not quite right, either. Was it?
He nodded, "The girl... You two are bound together by Fate; she is... family, in a way. I think."

Arto looked at you and smiled a little.
"There is a tiny sliver of you that might remember me, but no the memories you have of me is not yours, though it a life long from the time we are seeing now you know me."
The Diedne leaned his head against the great tree.
"But yes the riddle is for the son of fire to solve, you can guide, but you can not walk the path for him."
He said calmly then he returned his gaze to the Flambeau.
He tilted his head slightly, narrowing his eyes, "...The river and the maiden? Hm, what sliver... no matter. Not now."

"Ah yes...off course you can, strike me, cut me down, burn me it is not like I can stop you, would you like to break some more of my bones? I am a wounded man, without my hands I can not well work your Hermetic arts nor mix herbs or carve offerings into my own flesh, the tools of my own magick, and the pain make it hard to focus on something as delicate as spellwork, yes you defeated me, you defeated me good, however do you think striking me down will open the path for you? Do you think it will get you the answers you must find?"
Artu said and cocked his head to the side.
"The choice is up to you, but consider this I am hardly the threat to your little group here now am I, somewhere a wounded dragon is waking, and unlike me her crippling do not make her defenseless and unless you figure out this riddle, she will come for you all."
He said then leaned his head against the tree again and looked at you with sad but knowing eyes, and there was not a hint of fear in that gray gaze.
"So what will it be son of fire, will you strike me down? Or walk a different path?"
"You are already down, I do not see any benefit of adding to your pain. I may have to tie you up, to take you back. No, that is not right. You say you are a memory, that you perished. You are here...to block my path. That cannot be permitted. I must do my duty." He seemed irritated, as if he could not line up two pieces of a picture that he was meant to see. "A dragon? What is this riddle you keep speaking about?"
"I am talking about a wounded soul out for blood, and you have with her the key to a dreaded solace that will allow her to finally give her peace...and yet you do not remember...if you want to remember the gift the now enemy but later sister gave you then you must get one of the cones from this sacred tree...so will you listen to the advice of one who are in the same situation, one who could have been a friend...perhaps more but who became and enemy and who will one day in the future be your brother...your memories can be found in the fruit of this pine...the question is if you will know how to get them so you can continue your path?"
Artu said and he pointed at the pine cones ganging from the branches of the great tree he was sitting by then he winced again and let his hand gently drop he really should keep those wounded hands still.
He frowned, trying to remember more details of why he came to guide his friend... The dragon, there was something about the dragon, and the pine cone... but it was no use; this was for the Flambeau to solve and make sense of... if sense was the right word. He frowned and leaned against the nearest tree, watching warily to see what would unfold...

((OOC: Ah, the decisions... how much can Colin drop hints, how much does he clearly remember, even?))

((OOC2: The Callahan Chronicals don't have extra stories, as such, but I do believe it contains a backword/appendix thing that isn't in the previous version of the compilation.))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:43 am

He nodded, "A great, vital mission to stop a great evil... Every remotely combat capable member received the call; the threat is greater than the Diedne. And yes, it is dangerous here, but the danger of not bringing everyone is far greater..."

"That is not good news," he said. "I do not understand who we are fighting, if not the Diedne, they plaugue us at every turn here. Carmon and I were in search of the red woman, we have fought her several times but she always escapes. One day we will find her and take her down. Then the war will end." He stopped walking suddenly. "Only he cannot...he cannot now, I was told he lost his Gift. You will have to help me in his stead," he decided.

"I know, this war...the cost of it was high though perhaps the blood spilled was a necessary sacrifice, ironic as that might be for a Diedne to say, ending up as the lamb having it's throat cut was not plesant though, not for any of us."

"I have heard Diedne willingly give themselves to sacrificial rites," he replied, though there was not judgement. More as if he were stating a fact he knew.

"Ah yes that is the question now is it not, and I do not have the answer to that, you do son of fire. It would be easy enough to make some speech that I am here to kick at your conscience, especially since in a future life you will hurt me again, not as badly but you will hurt me and stop me from using my magick...and hand me off to others who will hurt me more, history repeat itself now don't it?"

"Why would I hurt you again? I do not know if history repeats itself. If it does, then it seems I do not remember it being so and it brings me little comfort in contemplating making the same mistakes over again."

"And there are others that you have hurt for the sake of protecting others, or just for a bit of added security. The girl in the white dress, she asked you to be allowed to cast one last spell and you denied you...ah yes I could be here as some mystical spear to jab at where it hurt in your conscience but that would be to easy not would it not, to obvious...no I do think you are the one who know why I am here after all I am just a memory so really you are creating me."

"Yes. This is so, I have protected people from those that would do harm to them," he protested. "That girl again...people in desperation will do things they would not otherwise do." There was something else - he had been afraid, for some reason. Unacceptable yet part of his mind told him there was cause enough. Below that, Mallander's training bubbled up regarding fear and pain and somewhere over that, someone else.

He said and grinned. "So then son of fire why am I here? Perhaps I am here to remind you of things you have forgotten."

"It must be so, since you seem intent on staying," he agreed, casting a look over at Colin. "This is beginning to feel ridiculous." Or perhaps /he/ was feeling ridiculous, talking to a memory of a dead Diedne.

"Indeed I fear tying up a memory do little good son of fire, and not all blocks in a path are foes to be defeated...you have to find the right answer to pass so you can do your duty, not the right weapon."

"The question itself put plain would be the start."

"That sounds less like a riddle and more a curse of the Fates. Have you put some prohibition on me, some obligation?" he asked, then looked at him. "I will listen to what you say, though much of it confuses me more than what is spoken by prophets of House Criamon." As Artus pointed, he looked up through the tree branches, skyward. "I must retrieve a pinecone from this tree," he said, as if convincing himself it was a necessary and important task, then again looked at Colin to help convince him that this was not ridiculous. "This is the special mission?" He raised an eyebrow at his friend. "Does any of this make sense to you? Very well, I will get a pinecone then." He stood a moment on the loamy, pineneedle strewn soil and studied the tree. "I could burn the tree though I will not, as you are still sitting here and that might damage them all. I could cut it down but that would take a long time. Shake it as if with a great wind and take them where they fall. I could fly up and grab one of them. I could climb the tree."

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:16 am

olin nodded, "I am inclined to suspect an overdose of the serum works much like any other heavy metal... A little at a time, and the body can flush it out unaided. A little too much, and the body retains what it cannot flush out. A little too much a little too often... and you get toxicity."

"You may be right, it certainly seam that way, it is something to be aware of at least when we use that serum on prisoners, and we need to find a way to treat those who have been affected by being subjected to it over longer periods of time, in either case the stuff is foul and we should only use it if we have no other choice."
Udella said and nodded.

He smiled wryly, "They make me worried for them, and vice versa, and I wouldn't have it any other way..."

Allison nodded at that.
"I...think that sounds nice. I do worry about my Mentor, well worried and some of my friends, but not more than myself...perhaps one day I will have someone to worry for like that to."

He grimaced, "There was pain - pretty bad pain, at that - but it was bearable. Actually, it seems a goodly piece of blue apatite will soothe the aches of an injured Avatar, like aloe for the soul, if you will. I was handed such a piece myself, when I was... well, suffice to say, it soothed almost as well as the presence of high quality Quintessence."

The apprentice looked down and shivered.
"It sounds pretty awful."
She muttered then she glanced up at you.
"Apatite? I have to say I have not worked with stones much, but if it helps, then whatever works I guess."
She muttered then she looked down again.
"Do your soul still hurt?"
She asked softly.

He tilted his head slightly, narrowing his eyes, "...The river and the maiden? Hm, what sliver... no matter. Not now."

Arto smiled and nodded.
"You will understand in time but yes right now is not the time."

He frowned, trying to remember more details of why he came to guide his friend... The dragon, there was something about the dragon, and the pine cone... but it was no use; this was for the Flambeau to solve and make sense of... if sense was the right word. He frowned and leaned against the nearest tree, watching warily to see what would unfold...

Arto looked at you as you stood there he said nothing he just looked at you then he smiled a little and returned to watching the young Flambeau.

"I have heard Diedne willingly give themselves to sacrificial rites," he replied, though there was not judgement. More as if he were stating a fact he knew.

"Yes we do when the need is great enough, such a sacrifice is a powerful one and sometimes it is needed for the rest to survive, though we never take one of our own lightly, everyone have to be willing to make such a sacrifice for the others if called upon to do so."
Arto said softly and nodded.

"Why would I hurt you again? I do not know if history repeats itself. If it does, then it seems I do not remember it being so and it brings me little comfort in contemplating making the same mistakes over again."

"The fates will weave a cause for it to be so, an unfortunate fate indeed but I am not so sure it will be a mistake as such never the less it will weigh heavy on you...we are bound together you and I, bound to be abuser and victim, sometimes one, sometimes the other, in one life I will be an executioner that takes your head, in another you will take me prisoner and give me to those that will hurt me, the wheel of fate will turn until such a fate is broken and resolved."

"Yes. This is so, I have protected people from those that would do harm to them," he protested.

"You have also harmed those who would not but who you think might harm others, there is a difference there son of fire, an important one."
The Diedne said as he regarded you.

"That girl again...people in desperation will do things they would not otherwise do." There was something else - he had been afraid, for some reason. Unacceptable yet part of his mind told him there was cause enough. Below that, Mallander's training bubbled up regarding fear and pain and somewhere over that, someone else.

"Yes the girl...she is important young Flambeau, if you remember the girl, you will remember yourself, you will remember what you must do to save those who matter to you, you will remember the terrible thing you must do to give the final mercy to a suffering soul...but you must remember the girl for while the rest of us travel with you, and you with us, she is you and you are here, the two of you are born as twins even if it might be miles apart, so remember her and you will remember your task, your duty and yourself."
The druid advices softly.

"It must be so, since you seem intent on staying," he agreed, casting a look over at Colin. "This is beginning to feel ridiculous." Or perhaps /he/ was feeling ridiculous, talking to a memory of a dead Diedne.

"I am not intent on staying son of fire, you are the one who is keeping me here, I am your memory after all."
Arto said with a patient smile as if he was explaining something to an apprentice who might just be a little dense.

"The question itself put plain would be the start."

"The question is plain enough if you know the answer, but let me ask another question then, more clear...who are you? If you can answer that beyond what is obvious then perhaps you can continue down the path."

"That sounds less like a riddle and more a curse of the Fates. Have you put some prohibition on me, some obligation?"

"Me? No I am just an memory and have no power over fate, what prohibitions are on you are there of your own choosing, however that do not change the fact that a blessed and yet terrible task have been given to you."
Arto said and shook his head.

he asked, then looked at him. "I will listen to what you say, though much of it confuses me more than what is spoken by prophets of House Criamon."

"Ah yes but then again you have always been good at confusing yourself...that you will listen though...that is a start son of fire, that is a start."

As Artus pointed, he looked up through the tree branches, skyward. "I must retrieve a pinecone from this tree," he said, as if convincing himself it was a necessary and important task,

"Yes it will be a key for you to remember yourself, and the task you face."
Arto said and glanced up at the ample cones on the great tree.

He stood a moment on the loamy, pineneedle strewn soil and studied the tree. "I could burn the tree though I will not, as you are still sitting here and that might damage them all. I could cut it down but that would take a long time. Shake it as if with a great wind and take them where they fall. I could fly up and grab one of them. I could climb the tree."

"All of them are viable choices, but only one are right for you."
Arto said then he grimaced.
"I would prefer you not burn the tree though, not only are the flames likely to consume me as well...but it is such a beautiful tree, hurting him just to take one of his children seam unfair to me."
He said and smiled sadly.

(OOC: I would say Colin remembers sort of, his own real life have become mixed up with Adley's Quiet so nothing is clear but he do remember some. I will leave what hints he have to give up to you, they are not likely to be as plain as, hey dude you are in a Quiet and have to get out, but he do have a vague idea of what is going on even if it is a bit fleeting.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:02 am

"The fates will weave a cause for it to be so, an unfortunate fate indeed but I am not so sure it will be a mistake as such never the less it will weigh heavy on you...we are bound together you and I, bound to be abuser and victim, sometimes one, sometimes the other, in one life I will be an executioner that takes your head, in another you will take me prisoner and give me to those that will hurt me, the wheel of fate will turn until such a fate is broken and resolved."

"What if I refuse to be either of those things? What will happen then?" he asked, giving him a stubborn look. "What if I do not wish to be someone's victim or abuser, as you put it? What if I want something else? Always one thing or the other thing, this, or that."

"You have also harmed those who would not but who you think might harm others, there is a difference there son of fire, an important one."

"I cannot tell the future - if I think someone may prove harmful, it is my duty to prevent them from harming anyone."

"Yes the girl...she is important young Flambeau, if you remember the girl, you will remember yourself, you will remember what you must do to save those who matter to you, you will remember the terrible thing you must do to give the final mercy to a suffering soul...but you must remember the girl for while the rest of us travel with you, and you with us, she is you and you are here, the two of you are born as twins even if it might be miles apart, so remember her and you will remember your task, your duty and yourself."

"My amicus said she was my family. But I have no family other than the Order." His face crumpled in frustration. "I will try to remember her, this girl in the white dress."

"The question is plain enough if you know the answer, but let me ask another question then, more clear...who are you? If you can answer that beyond what is obvious then perhaps you can continue down the path."

"That can be said of any question; if you know the answer it is easy!" he grumbled. "You know who I am Artu, we were almost friends once, before this damn war. I am Einje filius Mallader ex Flambeau. Your name, you told me, means rock in your mother's tongue. I asked if I could call you Petrus."

"Me? No I am just an memory and have no power over fate, what prohibitions are on you are there of your own choosing, however that do not change the fact that a blessed and yet terrible task have been given to you."

"Then someone other than you seems fit to have laid this upon us, perhaps the gods are not smiling down from the heavens. You say it is a blessing but speak to me as if I were a cursed man and fit us both for each other's condemnations. Even astronomers speak that the stars incline, they do not bind."

"Ah yes but then again you have always been good at confusing yourself...that you will listen though...that is a start son of fire, that is a start."

"I don't recall you being patronizing towards anyone," he said, annoyed by his smug smiling. "I listened to you before as well, even when you were cursing at me."

"All of them are viable choices, but only one are right for you." Arto said then he grimaced. "I would prefer you not burn the tree though, not only are the flames likely to consume me as well...but it is such a beautiful tree, hurting him just to take one of his children seam unfair to me."

"I do not want to draw attention with the smoke or burn the forest down unless it is necessary," he agreed, as these pragmatic reasons to avoid starting a fire rated high to him. "I can climb this tree. If I have to I will jump or fly. Is there a specific one that I should choose?" he asked, looking at Colin. "Or will any of these do?" He walked over to the tree and looked for handholds or a way up, as pine trees could be rather naked for several meters, and glanced at his crossbow and said, "rope..."

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:14 am

"You may be right, it certainly seam that way, it is something to be aware of at least when we use that serum on prisoners, and we need to find a way to treat those who have been affected by being subjected to it over longer periods of time, in either case the stuff is foul and we should only use it if we have no other choice."
Udella said and nodded.
Colin nodded, "Some practical alternative is needed, quickly..."

Allison nodded at that.
"I...think that sounds nice. I do worry about my Mentor, well worried and some of my friends, but not more than myself...perhaps one day I will have someone to worry for like that to."
He smiled warmly, "I hope you do."

The apprentice looked down and shivered.
"It sounds pretty awful."
She muttered then she glanced up at you.
"Apatite? I have to say I have not worked with stones much, but if it helps, then whatever works I guess."
She muttered then she looked down again.
"Do your soul still hurt?"
She asked softly.
He shook his head, "No, the stone has been passed on to someone needing it more... What's left is a slight, lingering itch on my soul, and even that is fading."

"That is not good news," he said. "I do not understand who we are fighting, if not the Diedne, they plaugue us at every turn here. Carmon and I were in search of the red woman, we have fought her several times but she always escapes. One day we will find her and take her down. Then the war will end." He stopped walking suddenly. "Only he cannot...he cannot now, I was told he lost his Gift. You will have to help me in his stead," he decided.
He frowned, "There are some who would seek to undo everything; an enemy to all of us - the Order and the Diedne alike. The red woman would kill us to water the fields with our blood, but this other threat would destroy us and the fields alike..."

Arto smiled and nodded.
"You will understand in time but yes right now is not the time."
He nodded, pondering, "I will try to remember to ask you later... in a manner of speaking."

"That sounds less like a riddle and more a curse of the Fates. Have you put some prohibition on me, some obligation?" he asked, then looked at him. "I will listen to what you say, though much of it confuses me more than what is spoken by prophets of House Criamon." As Artus pointed, he looked up through the tree branches, skyward. "I must retrieve a pinecone from this tree," he said, as if convincing himself it was a necessary and important task, then again looked at Colin to help convince him that this was not ridiculous. "This is the special mission?" He raised an eyebrow at his friend. "Does any of this make sense to you? Very well, I will get a pinecone then." He stood a moment on the loamy, pineneedle strewn soil and studied the tree. "I could burn the tree though I will not, as you are still sitting here and that might damage them all. I could cut it down but that would take a long time. Shake it as if with a great wind and take them where they fall. I could fly up and grab one of them. I could climb the tree."
"All of them are viable choices, but only one are right for you."
Arto said then he grimaced.
"I would prefer you not burn the tree though, not only are the flames likely to consume me as well...but it is such a beautiful tree, hurting him just to take one of his children seam unfair to me."
He said and smiled sadly.
"I do not want to draw attention with the smoke or burn the forest down unless it is necessary," he agreed, as these pragmatic reasons to avoid starting a fire rated high to him. "I can climb this tree. If I have to I will jump or fly. Is there a specific one that I should choose?" he asked, looking at Colin. "Or will any of these do?" He walked over to the tree and looked for handholds or a way up, as pine trees could be rather naked for several meters, and glanced at his crossbow and said, "rope..."
He pondered, "Fresh out of rope, I'm afraid... and the use of destructive force does not seem the right path. There is a saying, though, that even a dwarf can reach the highest fruit, if he stands on the shoulders of a giant. Asking for help is rarely wrong, as such..."

((OOC: About how high up are the pine cones, for that matter?))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 am

Colin nodded, "Some practical alternative is needed, quickly..."

Udella nodded at that.
"Yes we have cuffs and other such restraints but they are hard to manufacture and expensive, there are restraining circles and enchanting a cell but that can not be moved, and off course directly holding someone from using magick but that require allot of concentration, the serum is easier than these but not really humane and if it is also dangerous for the captive well...it is not a good situation...I guess this makes you worry for your new apprentice? I wish I could help you there."

He smiled warmly, "I hope you do."

The girl looked at you and smiled a little before she nodded.

He shook his head, "No, the stone has been passed on to someone needing it more... What's left is a slight, lingering itch on my soul, and even that is fading."

"That is good to hear. I have only had Paradox and such happen to my Avatar but that is bad enough. It is no fun to be in pain."
Allison said and gave you another smile.

"What if I refuse to be either of those things? What will happen then?" he asked, giving him a stubborn look. "What if I do not wish to be someone's victim or abuser, as you put it? What if I want something else? Always one thing or the other thing, this, or that."

"You can refuse off course, the problem is that often then things will be worse."
Arto said and looked down at his hands.
"You did this...quickly...once done you made cold to soothe the pain. I could not feed myself, piss or shit without aid, and yet you and the Tremere assisted with those things in a way that let me keep my dignity, or at least some of it. I was treated as a human being while I was a captive, had I been captured by someone else my treatment had been far worse...In another life, I was a good executioner, a very good one, I did not know you I only knew you where a man sentenced for a crime that in no way made you evil or cruel and I ended it with one strike of the blade, should I have left the job to another who might have used a few chops to get through your neck? The boy, your current brother if he had not been taken prisoner by you there is a chance I would have been able to escape with my family after I gave you the information you wanted, but there is also a good chance that I would be captured by the enemy and be forced to become a monster...or another from your own side that would show far less kindness...yes you can choose to be neither son of fire but there is a cost to that choice and you are not always the one paying for it."
The Druid said softly.

"I cannot tell the future - if I think someone may prove harmful, it is my duty to prevent them from harming anyone."

"Hum...is it now, but we all could prove to be harmful. how do you choose which to bring pain and fear?"

"My amicus said she was my family. But I have no family other than the Order." His face crumpled in frustration. "I will try to remember her, this girl in the white dress."

"She is not family by blood or by training, she is sister to your soul..right now she is an enemy that you both hate and respect, later she will be a sister, a friend many things she will be to you...but yes you must try to remember her, to remember yourself."
Arto said and nodded.

"That can be said of any question; if you know the answer it is easy!" he grumbled. "You know who I am Artu, we were almost friends once, before this damn war. I am Einje filius Mallader ex Flambeau. Your name, you told me, means rock in your mother's tongue. I asked if I could call you Petrus."

"Yes that is who you are now...but you are more, you are many and yet you will live an entire life not knowing that, so will I. You may call me Petrus if you so desire, the names though son of fire are important, one day your friend here will think of this discussion and remember that fire meeting a rock makes glass."
Arto said and glanced at Colin for a moment.
"Well that is not important now, the important thing is for you to remember who else you are son of fire...for you must remember..."

"Then someone other than you seems fit to have laid this upon us, perhaps the gods are not smiling down from the heavens. You say it is a blessing but speak to me as if I were a cursed man and fit us both for each other's condemnations. Even astronomers speak that the stars incline, they do not bind."

"Your will is your own Einje, if it where not so you would not be a magus. Yes there are tasks ahead of you that are hard and you can try to avoid them or just refuse and more suffering will result from that. But know that if you do not talk the dragon into kneeling by your feet so your allies can slay it then you, your friend here, that Criamon girl, your commander, everyone here will perish, it is your choice if you will stand by and let it happen. As for the stars I am not so sure they are to blame but the Gods, yours or mine have not been kind to you, not in this life or any other, perhaps you should decide to live son of fire until you get powerful enough to take that matter up with them."
Arto said and raised an eyebrow.

"I don't recall you being patronizing towards anyone," he said, annoyed by his smug smiling. "I listened to you before as well, even when you were cursing at me."

The Dedne gave a hearty laugh which quickly became whimpers of pain as his hands where disturbed by the motion.
"Perhaps you are right son of fire and I do apologize perhaps cursing in anger fit me better, and yes you did listen to what I said...you did me that favor back then, and never denied me my harsh words...this cursed war makes monsters of us all but under it all you are a kind man Einje...right now though my words are true however, you are confusing yourself..."

"I do not want to draw attention with the smoke or burn the forest down unless it is necessary," he agreed, as these pragmatic reasons to avoid starting a fire rated high to him.

"Well yes there are that reason to let the tree live as well."
The Diedne said and raised an eyebrow.

"I can climb this tree. If I have to I will jump or fly. Is there a specific one that I should choose?" he asked, looking at Colin. "Or will any of these do?" He walked over to the tree and looked for handholds or a way up, as pine trees could be rather naked for several meters, and glanced at his crossbow and said, "rope..."

"The method to get to the pine cones are your own choosing, this is your path son of fire and I am just a guide."
Arto said as he glanced at you. The tree was strong and mighty, the lowest branch where about twice again your height up the trunk but if you got there then there where ample branches and not to far to get to a cluster of cones.

He nodded, pondering, "I will try to remember to ask you later... in a manner of speaking."

"I doubt the boy I will be then will know much that will be helpful to you, well perhaps he will learn in time if he lives..."
Arto said and smiled a bit sadly.

He pondered, "Fresh out of rope, I'm afraid... and the use of destructive force does not seem the right path. There is a saying, though, that even a dwarf can reach the highest fruit, if he stands on the shoulders of a giant. Asking for help is rarely wrong, as such..."

You do think that if Einje stood on your shoulders he would be able to get to the lowest branch and from there it would be easy to climb and get a pine gone from the tree, and while tall your friend was slender, his armor might be an issue but the man himself you should be able to lift just fine.

(OOC: The lowest branches is about 2 meters and 50 cm over the ground, from there it is a bit of climbing to reach any pine cones but there are ample branches, the cones are about 3 meters and 50 cm over the ground.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 30 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21 ... 30  Next