Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Update Working Thread

4 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Forum Update Working Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Forum Update Working Thread

Post by Nicole Bouchard 11.09.21 11:47

Well, what we can do is keep a list of 'stuff needing deleting' and then when we've finished this clean-up and when you've got a free[ish] half-hour not on the phone can simply cull them all at once...

On other things, please re-look at my last two posts here [when you have time, that is]. There's a few other topics needing your thoughts/decisions on. There's also a few small questions buried in the 'to Warp' bit I'll re-do here;

#1: Do you want me to make a 'special ammo' chart to go with the Firearms one?

#2: Do you want me to add the couple of 'special guns' mentioned, like an elephant gun to the Firearms chart?

#3: Do you want me to make an explosives chart to go with a Firearm one?

I say 'make', it's more generally speaking 'trawl through various WoD books and dig them out'.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind 11.09.21 12:54

...A .600 Nitro Express rifle seems like the sort of thing someone at the Chantry would eventually acquire, in part for shits and giggles... and occasionally for HIT-Marks... Razz
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 11.09.21 13:25

I jsut do nto see the need to delete these things what is the problem if the old posts just sit there?

A ammo chard would be good.

A list with a few special guns added to the firearms chart would be very useful.

Sure an explosives chart would be good. I mean if you have the time I can give you some few exp for the job.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 11.09.21 14:01

Because having old posts which have no purpose with wrong, out of date information on it is just really confusing. And speaking as a player, I get put off from a pbp game [as in, joining it] where there seems to be little to nil organisation of stuff. It suggests the ST is not on the ball at all / is sloppy with their 'blue booking'. [Not saying you are, this is the impression it can give].

I know you don't like deleting things which is why I asked you to update the post instead of doing a new one. I cannot even put a message saying 'this is old, ignore' because that would put it on the top of the listing again and make chances of confusion higher.

On other things, I can do that. Now, can anybody think of any other type of firearm to go on the chart?
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 11.09.21 16:31

I get put of from a forum if old posts and threads get deleted left and right. It should not be a proble to see which one are old and which ones are new, and in fact older posts show that there is a history to the forum. I have the exacte oposite feeling, if I see a group where there are no older posts and the GM is a organisation fanatic deleting everything as soon as it is not actively used anymore I am thinking the GM might have some issues. The old posts stays.

Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 11.09.21 17:16

Question: how can one tell if it's an old post, a new post or just a post?

Plus: Please tell me what the benefit of having an out of date post which has zero value to it to continue.

In this case, I will then request you delete the *new* post, edit the old post to it is correct and make it a sticky.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 11.09.21 18:26

There is a dating to posts that say s when it was made.

Having old post how the forum have a history and there is zero reason not to keep them.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind 11.09.21 18:41

Also, aren't post threads sorted newest-oldest, anyway?
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 11.09.21 19:43

They are. However, unless both editions are in the visual same place, it will be difficult for newbies to tell whether what they're looking at a) the 'new, in date post', b) the 'old, out of date post' and c) the 'one and only post'. This is made more likely because the forum search functions are crude and ancient.

I'm happy enough to keep the old posts if you really think they're worth keeping [I clearly don't, at least not in this case] but as a comprimise solution, could you at least go to the old, out of date post, and edit it [not reply!] with a line at the bottom saying 'this is now out of date: [link] is the current one' or similar?
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind 11.09.21 20:14

As a matter of archiving, could old threads (former PCs turned NPCs and the like, old OOC threads, and so on) be moved to subforums, to reduce clutter? I'm not sure how the forum is set up in that regard, but it seems like the admin should have that option.
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 11.09.21 20:22

No one else than you have ever complained about this.

I A like to have the history of old posts and B see no point in investing time to remove the posts, I also have things to do in my life so I will not write out of date on all posts no longer in active use.

I am not sure how archiving could be done but as all decent threads end up on the top I really see no point in spending time on this.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 11.09.21 21:35

Warp: yes, whole threads etc can be moved, but it's frankly a labourious task and something [as you guess] only an Admin could do. However, I honestly don't really feel that this level of effort is really justified.

Great One; If I am 'complaining' for anyone, it's for our future players. It's not fair that we - in the desire to make things clearer - in fact make things more complex and confusing.

Now, onto the point itself it's something which would take you approx 2 mins to do [on laptop/PC]. Hell, I'll even produce the line and link so all you need to do is cut/paste it. However, yes it will require you to do said 2 mins of work [putting 'this post has been replaced by X' or something at the end of the old post]. The rest of us can minimise the amount of effort you need to do for this, not eliminate it entirely.

Really, why are you digging your heels in here?

Test, test.

[This post is now out of date. Please see this page for the current one.]

Last edited by Nicole Bouchard on 12.09.21 12:13; edited 1 time in total
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 12.09.21 7:31

If a thread is still in use so it is on the top then it is in use and there is no need to remove it if not then I assume the players will be able to find the most recent threads by them being on the top of the list of threads in the forum.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 12.09.21 12:20

I am no longer arguing about thread/post removal. You don't like the idea, and Warp made a argument for retention.

I am now saying that to help new players [and us, when we've forgot] know that the old post/thread is... well, old a message needs to be edited onto the end of the old post.

Please look at my above post. I've edited it with a 'this is out of date' tag at the bottom and a link [a test link for now] which I'm now suggesting for outdated, replaced info threads. It took me 43 seconds to do [on a PC, admittedly].

In this case, both you/Warp are happy [old stuff retained] but I'm happy too [old stuff has warning at bottom, so no confusion].
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 12.09.21 13:10

I just do not see the purpose of it, either the thread is being used and it will be on the top or it is not being used and it will be pushed down, this should not be unclear.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 12.09.21 18:49

#1: How will people who are not us know this rule?
#2: Does this mean we're going to be checking, re-posting and stickying *all* info posts/threads? That's going to be one long job...
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 12.09.21 19:57

1: This is allmost universally how forums work, threads move up and down the list depending on when they where last active, an no longer used thread will end up far down the list.

2: If someone have questions they are free to ask but I doubt it should be that hard to figure out.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 13.09.21 17:36

If someone have questions they are free to ask but I doubt it should be that hard to figure out.

Try 'impossible'. Every time I find an info post I'll have to search the *full* forum to ensure there is not a newer edition! Please tell me how I can achive this when half the infomation isn't even in 'obvious' threads with clear titles, but buried elsewhere? We both know the forum's search function sucks. And you yourself have admitted in the past you don't remember the exact location of everything on this site.

This issue will become worse and worse as we do more updates too.

Just because you do not see the use of doing this it does not mean nobody will ever get any use from it. A task, I repeat would take you less than 60 seconds to perform on the odd occasion.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 13.09.21 20:17

It should not really be that har just look at the threads above the one you are looking for also we already said we would make a current info thread that would be stikied that should be more than enough.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 22.09.21 23:44

#1: Waiting to see if anyone has anything to add on the link point/issue...

#2: With Secondary Abilities, perhaps producing a list of which ones are 'stand alone' [act like a normal Ability] and which ones do the double-rolling [as Warp pointed out] is an idea? I am still wanting to know about my Secondary choices which I started to do in May...

Though while we're at it, a quick paragraph to explain the system and then putting it in a stickied House Rules or something would be an idea.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind 23.09.21 10:41

Yeah, a stickied rules post would be good. Not much more to add.
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 23.09.21 13:29

I am not sure there are a list of that since I house rules that ability for you.

A stickied rules post is a good idea.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 30.09.21 17:52

#1: Links. If there is no message stating a post is obsolete, how will a person [who is not us] know it is obsolete? I'm genuinely curious to see if there's an angle here I'm missing.

#2: Secondaries: erm... why are you giving me the answer which ended up creating two pages of discussions about? I thought we had gone past this!
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze 02.10.21 16:03

What was your question concerning Bartitsu, how is it related to our current IC thread or is this a question about skills a character might have?
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard 10.10.21 15:18

The Bartitsu question is more suited for the Etherite discussions at OOC/IC thread; basically that 'Bartitsu' really looks like the kind of thing Etherites would have been interested in [martial arts, but stripped out of the mystical clap-trap and put on a logical basis?] and I was wondering whether it's possible that the Tradition kept the style alive throught the 20th Century, perhaps even developing it further [for their Sky Cavalry, perhaps also for the Bond-esque Shadow Agents]. Which means it's likely Nick would have been taught this style in her training.

It's related to the discussion on the other thread because the development/continuation of an MMA requires generations of Etherites to keep it alive [even if it pisses off Akashics]. If everyone is obsessed with mass wheel-reinvention this clearly won't happen.

The Secondary issue is important because I'm trying to work out what spend I was going to do which I originally started to do in July. And the link question is my curiousity, wondering if there's something I missed.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next