Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horrible Options, Unexpected Help and Hidded Passages IC Thread 17

4 posters

Page 18 of 30 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24 ... 30  Next

Go down

Horrible Options, Unexpected  Help and Hidded Passages IC Thread 17 - Page 18 Empty Re: Horrible Options, Unexpected Help and Hidded Passages IC Thread 17

Post by Warpmind Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 am

"Ah yes I see it is a way to do some of the preparations beforehand. I have done something similar for the wand I use for Ignem spells, it is engraved with symbols I do not then have to inscribe when I need to cast an spell."
The Flambeau said and took a simple wooden wand, engraved with several complex symbols painted in orange and gold out of his pocket and handed you.
"This to is not a unique focus but it helps me get an effect out quicker."
He explained.
Colin arched an eyebrow, "Sturdy craftsmanship... I'd have expected copper, though, or a copper alloy."
He handed it back, "But yes, the same basic principle, it seems."

"I think that is to much to hope for Mr Wainwright...that Labyrinth is their home is it not, so why would they be anywhere else?"
Hayden asked and raised an eyebrow
He smiled thinly, "Because they may be too ravaged by Paradox right now to have the strength to move from where they entered the Umbra at the Post Office... If their portal was still open - and I do think it may well have been - when the last HIT-Mark detonated, that would probably have stung."

"Indeed," he agreed with Colin. He added to her, "To your first point, yes. Or be forced to. As I said, I didn't say it was better, just an alternative with different pros or cons. Perfect security would is a goal but a good objective is to be aware and ready if possible, at least that's part of what I've learned this week."
He smiled wryly, "Speaking as a military veteran... perfect security is impossible. The best we can realistically hope for is security that is good enough for long enough to matter. If the Union catches on to a phone conversation three weeks after it is relevant, well..."

Elanor gave you a soft smile at your compliment. then she nodded.
"So what you are saying Sir is that to be safe we should avoid using phones as best as we can when at all possible since you never know when the Top Hats are listening in and what they might get out of it?"
She asked.
He shrugged, "No, there are too many phones in circulation for that paranoia to be useful anymore... Weighing your words with some amount of caution, however, is never a bad idea."

"I guess that is as good as it could have gone..."
Joakim said and nodded.
"I will try to remind you Mr Wainwright...so then the vampire girl is out of our hair then and we do not need to worry more about here and Mr Valiant is locked up safely for now?"
He nodded, "She is at her own apartment, and I don't expect our paths will cross again, and he is asleep behind a locked and bolted door."

"Good, as soon as we have dealt with the Labyrinth we take Nicolai down, he have committed a crime against us now which I will not forgive."
The hedge wizard muttered darkly as he looked at the bag of bloody cotton swabs.
"No I did not, I came here to talk about the cat...I have examined the animal and can confirm that it is a familiar, the magick used to bind it are qlippothic but the spirit itself is not corrupted, I was here to give my rapport, what you experienced with your communication with your wife is for you to tell, not me Mr Wainwright."
The archmaga said firmly.
He nodded to Crexia, "Under the circumstances, I would not have objected, but thank you... The pine cone is apparently a sort of beacon; as I understand it, it can be used to remind Fallen Avatars of what they were - potentially stunning them with grief long enough for... the work to be done. As for the cat - so the spirit is not corrupted? Hum, if the bond to Abigail is lost, then, it might be... re-homed, as it were? Assuming still that it is indeed Abigail's, of course."

((OOC: Game day. I'm finally getting to try the new Star Wars RPG. Very Happy Gonna need new cool dice. Very Happy ))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Horrible Options, Unexpected  Help and Hidded Passages IC Thread 17 - Page 18 Empty Re: Horrible Options, Unexpected Help and Hidded Passages IC Thread 17

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:17 am

He gave her a small but tired smile. He didn't argue it but he said in a wry tone, "Yes, perhaps. However if we had time to tell what's happened this week...anyway, I doubt there's been harm done and I didn't mean to imply anything problematic." He shrugged.

"Well I guess better safe than sorry Sir, it is usually better to take more precautious than one have to."
Elanor said diplomatically. and gave you a small smile.

"I'm sure he will be in good hands whether you choose a camera or not, there is no need to take my concerns over others given I don't know everything entailed with technomagic as I said," he said, leaving it at that.

"Off course Sir and I do thank you for your advice and your concern. I will ask around a bit and see what will be the best solution."
The hedge wizard said and nodded.

"That sounds good, thank you. And he probably does at that, he is a smart young man. If you do choose any spirit, nothing of fire, flame or light, things that might scare him, though I don't imagine he might notice a spirit anyway."

"Off course Sir...perhaps an Air Elemental will do...I will ask around."
Elanor said and Alan chimed in.
"My Mentor could not see spirits before Sir I doubt that have changed but I agree we should not ask a fire spirit for help, not a spirit that could harm or scare him, just in case."

Glancing at Colin as he and Crexia spoke, he looked curious but held his tongue. As the Chief explained the situation he took back the note, turning it over idly. "Very well sir," he said, waiting for him to explain what the plan was now to deal with the Labyrinth.

"Hum...the question now is how to best approach this, we could potentially use the cat to try to locate Abigail, try to take her out before we go against her Labyrinth, depriving them of their leader would weaken them, however trying to scry for her have it's own risks..."
Joakim begun looking thoughtful.
"If the cat is even her familiar, it could belong to any Nephandus...in either case our first goal is going to have to be taking down their wards once we attack, and once that is done, going after Miss Carlyle and the Labyrinth keeper, taking them out first will make things easier for us."
He said and paused to see if anyone had anything to add.

Colin arched an eyebrow, "Sturdy craftsmanship... I'd have expected copper, though, or a copper alloy."
He handed it back, "But yes, the same basic principle, it seems."

"Copper would have been better, but I do not know how to craft copper and I wanted a tool I had crafted myself, then again a wooden wand is a fine symbol for a torch and by that fire."
Hayden said as he put the wand back into his pocket.

He smiled thinly, "Because they may be too ravaged by Paradox right now to have the strength to move from where they entered the Umbra at the Post Office... If their portal was still open - and I do think it may well have been - when the last HIT-Mark detonated, that would probably have stung."

"Nothing would be better than dead or dying Nephandi laying in some far off place helpless, but I think that might be a bit to much to hope for given our luck as of late."
The Hermetic grumbled.
"Hopefully though they will not be able to cause us to much trouble.

He shrugged, "No, there are too many phones in circulation for that paranoia to be useful anymore... Weighing your words with some amount of caution, however, is never a bad idea."

"Off course Sir I will keep it in mind, however to ask Mrs Knox for advice in this matter I had to actually tell her what the situation where, the alternative would have been to go to find her, wait for her to finish with her patients and then get her back here. I assumed a phone call would work better."
Elanor said and looked down.

He nodded, "She is at her own apartment, and I don't expect our paths will cross again, and he is asleep behind a locked and bolted door."

"Good...good, we will see to his needs later...if Mr Valiant chooses to stay...with us I will make sure he gets the best of care...perhaps Miss Jarden can take care of him and teach him how to be a vampire if the Deacon Council lets him stay but we need to deal with the matter of the Labyrinth first..."
Joakim said and nodded.

He nodded to Crexia, "Under the circumstances, I would not have objected, but thank you...

Crexia gave you an slight nod.

The pine cone is apparently a sort of beacon; as I understand it, it can be used to remind Fallen Avatars of what they were - potentially stunning them with grief long enough for... the work to be done.

"I...see...that can be quite...useful."
Joakim said and looked at you.
"I would prefer to have that effect tested before we take it to the battlefield though Mr Wainwright, if at all possible, we need to know how much of an effect it will have and for how long it will last..."

As for the cat - so the spirit is not corrupted? Hum, if the bond to Abigail is lost, then, it might be... re-homed, as it were? Assuming still that it is indeed Abigail's, of course."

"Well yes it is possible to form new bonds to a familiar previously held by another mage, if the spirit in question consents and they do not always do so, loosing a familiar bond causes extreme physical and emotional pain for both parties, most once familiars want nothing to do with mages again once they have lost a bondsmate, but yes it is possible, and it have been done once with a familiar taken from a Nephandus by a young Hollow One girl a few years ago."
Joakim said and frowned.
"First we need to find out if it is indeed Abigail's familiar, I would not put it past her to grab one of her followers bondsmate and ship that off as a hostage to her vampire ally after all."

(OOC: Have fun.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:00 pm

He smiled wryly, "Speaking as a military veteran... perfect security is impossible. The best we can realistically hope for is security that is good enough for long enough to matter. If the Union catches on to a phone conversation three weeks after it is relevant, well..."

He gave Colin a bit of a smile. "Aren't you always saying we're in the business of the impossible, amicus? But yes, you're right."

He nodded to Crexia, "Under the circumstances, I would not have objected, but thank you... The pine cone is apparently a sort of beacon; as I understand it, it can be used to remind Fallen Avatars of what they were - potentially stunning them with grief long enough for... the work to be done. As for the cat - so the spirit is not corrupted? Hum, if the bond to Abigail is lost, then, it might be... re-homed, as it were? Assuming still that it is indeed Abigail's, of course."
"I would prefer to have that effect tested before we take it to the battlefield though Mr Wainwright, if at all possible, we need to know how much of an effect it will have and for how long it will last..."

Adley looked over at Colin curiously. "May I examine it?"

"First we need to find out if it is indeed Abigail's familiar, I would not put it past her to grab one of her followers bondsmate and ship that off as a hostage to her vampire ally after all."

"That's true...how should we determine such?"

// Have fun!

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:12 pm

"That's true...how should we determine such?"

"Well we have two Fallen prisoners, we could try to bring the pine cone next to them to see how they react."
Joakim said and frowned.
"It is not moral to test a potential weapon on prisoners but it would not be the most immoral thing that have been suggested in this conflict."
The hedge wizard said and looked down, he took a deep breath and continued.
"Seeing how a fallen mage react to that pine cone might be invaluable if we plan any tactics around it."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:32 pm

"Copper would have been better, but I do not know how to craft copper and I wanted a tool I had crafted myself, then again a wooden wand is a fine symbol for a torch and by that fire."
Hayden said as he put the wand back into his pocket.
Colin shrugged, "Actually, copper is very easily worked; it's soft, malleable, and fairly inexpensive. All you need is a sheet of copper of a suitable thickness, a hammer, cutting pliers and a workbench - a wooden one will do. There are a few instructional videos on YouTube, as well, but it's really incredibly basic. If you can make a wooden wand like that with your own two hands, copper embellishments shouldn't be too difficult, I think."

He gave Colin a bit of a smile. "Aren't you always saying we're in the business of the impossible, amicus? But yes, you're right."
He grinned, "Security is a constant battle between those who would secure something and those who would break that security. As better tools for either side are constantly made, improved and refined, a single permanent perfect solution is impossible. One that works just long enough is a lot easier."

"Nothing would be better than dead or dying Nephandi laying in some far off place helpless, but I think that might be a bit to much to hope for given our luck as of late."
The Hermetic grumbled.
"Hopefully though they will not be able to cause us to much trouble.
He nodded, "Hopefully... Well, odds are they'll be severely hampered, at least, wherever they are."

"Off course Sir I will keep it in mind, however to ask Mrs Knox for advice in this matter I had to actually tell her what the situation where, the alternative would have been to go to find her, wait for her to finish with her patients and then get her back here. I assumed a phone call would work better."
Elanor said and looked down.
He grinned, "Well, I might have sent a text and showed a bit of patience, myself, but in the name of expediency, I won't fault you."

"Good...good, we will see to his needs later...if Mr Valiant chooses to stay...with us I will make sure he gets the best of care...perhaps Miss Jarden can take care of him and teach him how to be a vampire if the Deacon Council lets him stay but we need to deal with the matter of the Labyrinth first..."
Joakim said and nodded.
He sighed, "Indeed; his condition does not appear to be... urgent, as such; not just yet."

He nodded, "I agree; I'd recommend showing it to miss Jerkins downstairs, rather than Anna in the Infirmary - if it's as potent as I suspect it might be, it could prove... unhealthy for the poor girl right now. I don't think the pine cone is a weapon, as such - not directly, at any rate. A tool, most certainly, and one with tactical properties, but I don't think it qualifies as an outright weapon..."

Adley looked over at Colin curiously. "May I examine it?"
He nodded and fished out the pine cone, handing it over, "Certainly... just be careful; Freddy warned me to keep it safe - according to her in the fairly distant future, it can save numerous lives."
He frowned, "Hum, it would be interesting to see the effect on the Jade Demon, actually... Not that I'd aim it directly at him, just in case he might take offense..."

"Well yes it is possible to form new bonds to a familiar previously held by another mage, if the spirit in question consents and they do not always do so, loosing a familiar bond causes extreme physical and emotional pain for both parties, most once familiars want nothing to do with mages again once they have lost a bondsmate, but yes it is possible, and it have been done once with a familiar taken from a Nephandus by a young Hollow One girl a few years ago."
Joakim said and frowned.
"Hum...the question now is how to best approach this, we could potentially use the cat to try to locate Abigail, try to take her out before we go against her Labyrinth, depriving them of their leader would weaken them, however trying to scry for her have it's own risks..."
Joakim begun looking thoughtful.
"If the cat is even her familiar, it could belong to any Nephandus...in either case our first goal is going to have to be taking down their wards once we attack, and once that is done, going after Miss Carlyle and the Labyrinth keeper, taking them out first will make things easier for us."
He said and paused to see if anyone had anything to add.
He frowned, "I think the cat is Abigail's, actually... I don't think Abigail would try to bluff the Tremere like that - staking their exchanged hostage is one thing, but the Tremere can detect magic; that's a security breach right there, by the way - they know the location of this Chantry and another, by spotting where the largest concentrations of magic are located - I think there's a high enough chance they'd be able to determine to whom the animal was linked for Abigail to want to risk having her bluff called."

((OOC: Was fun. Kicked Stormtrooper ass, and drove over several of them with their own tank... Very Happy ))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Colin shrugged, "Actually, copper is very easily worked; it's soft, malleable, and fairly inexpensive. All you need is a sheet of copper of a suitable thickness, a hammer, cutting pliers and a workbench - a wooden one will do. There are a few instructional videos on YouTube, as well, but it's really incredibly basic. If you can make a wooden wand like that with your own two hands, copper embellishments shouldn't be too difficult, I think."

"Hum...well then thank you for the advice Mr Wainwright, I am going to have to try that when time permits and see what I will be able to do. I have found that tools crated by the user tend to have a stronger bond with the mage they serve and as such be more effective."
Hayden said and nodded.

He nodded, "Hopefully... Well, odds are they'll be severely hampered, at least, wherever they are."

"Good, let us hope you are right, I fear we will not find out that before we move against the Labyrinth though."
The Flambeau commented.
"Well little use in us standing around her speculating on it.

He grinned, "Well, I might have sent a text and showed a bit of patience, myself, but in the name of expediency, I won't fault you."

"Would you have liked to wait until Mrs Knox answered the text and possibly found the time to come down here, now or later Sir?"
Elanor asked and raised an eyebrow.
"I will keep your advice in mind though."

He sighed, "Indeed; his condition does not appear to be... urgent, as such; not just yet."

"Yes I feel for the man's plight and I am enraged at this Nicolai for his actions but we have to ensure there are a tomorrow before we figure out how best to deal with his situation. Mr Valiant can wait, the Nephandi situation can not."
Joakim said and sigh.

He nodded, "I agree; I'd recommend showing it to miss Jerkins downstairs, rather than Anna in the Infirmary - if it's as potent as I suspect it might be, it could prove... unhealthy for the poor girl right now. I don't think the pine cone is a weapon, as such - not directly, at any rate. A tool, most certainly, and one with tactical properties, but I don't think it qualifies as an outright weapon..."

"A weapon is a tool used to take out your enemy, if this pine cone do what you suspect it do Mr Wainwright then that would qualify as a weapon in my book, however let us not argue semantics, I do agree testing it's effect on Miss Jerknins are probably better than doing so on the girl, both from a humanitarian and a practical point of view considering the child's health issues."
The old hedge wizard said and nodded his agreement.

He nodded and fished out the pine cone, handing it over, "Certainly... just be careful; Freddy warned me to keep it safe - according to her in the fairly distant future, it can save numerous lives."

Adley to you the pine cone looked like any other of it's kind, it was small, brown and tightly closed, a tree waiting to be born, new life that had fallen from the branch of an old tree. It felt calming to hold it, and the small, unassuming this as a feeling of joy and innocence about it, for a moment you see Claire standing there in your mind's eye, pretty, elegant and dedicated, a book in her hands, the Tytalus looked up and smiled at you, then that vision, or perhaps just fancy of the mind evaporated as water on a hot summer day.

He frowned, "Hum, it would be interesting to see the effect on the Jade Demon, actually... Not that I'd aim it directly at him, just in case he might take offense..."

"I think that might end up being a bit to interesting right now."
Joakim said and gave a wry smile.

He frowned, "I think the cat is Abigail's, actually... I don't think Abigail would try to bluff the Tremere like that - staking their exchanged hostage is one thing, but the Tremere can detect magic; that's a security breach right there,

"Hum...that is sound reasoning, then again giving one's own familiar up as a hostage...well the question then still remains if we should try to find Abigail first before we take down the Labyrinth, in the hope she might not be home and we can get the jump on her...thought that might be to risky..."
The Security Chief said and leaned back in his chair.

by the way - they know the location of this Chantry and another, by spotting where the largest concentrations of magic are located - I think there's a high enough chance they'd be able to determine to whom the animal was linked for Abigail to want to risk having her bluff called."

"Fuck...well it is an elegant enough way to do it, I guess I should have suspected something like that...hum...we could destroy the bond between familiar and it's mistress, that will make Abigail if it is hers a pretty bad time and it might distract here when we go against her Labyrinth..."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:49 pm

"Hum...well then thank you for the advice Mr Wainwright, I am going to have to try that when time permits and see what I will be able to do. I have found that tools crated by the user tend to have a stronger bond with the mage they serve and as such be more effective."
Hayden said and nodded.
Colin grinned and held up his signet ring, "I'm a silversmith - do I ever know what you mean. Granted, it does seem that custom work designed by the user and meticulously worked by a specialist craftsman can be quite as good, if not better, though some involvement with the raw materials does seem most relevant... Case in point, I do commission work, including a beautiful, perfectly designed pendulum for one of our dowsers - made from her own inherited silver. I don't know that it would have worked as well with a sheet of silver from my workshop."

"Good, let us hope you are right, I fear we will not find out that before we move against the Labyrinth though."
The Flambeau commented.
"Well little use in us standing around her speculating on it.
He nodded, "True enough."

"Would you have liked to wait until Mrs Knox answered the text and possibly found the time to come down here, now or later Sir?"
Elanor asked and raised an eyebrow.
"I will keep your advice in mind though."
He shrugged, "Under the circumstances... I might have waited perhaps twenty minutes for a reply, then called. Nevertheless, it's not my place to correct your judgment calls; what I can offer is suggestions of what I might have done in the same situation - but I'm not you, and our experience bases are very different. You make your choices as you must, just make sure that you own them, for better or for worse."

"A weapon is a tool used to take out your enemy, if this pine cone do what you suspect it do Mr Wainwright then that would qualify as a weapon in my book, however let us not argue semantics, I do agree testing it's effect on Miss Jerknins are probably better than doing so on the girl, both from a humanitarian and a practical point of view considering the child's health issues."
He nodded, "Semantics indeed. I'll head downstairs then, once we've gone over the updates."

"I think that might end up being a bit to interesting right now."
Joakim said and gave a wry smile.
He grimaced, "Quite so... And in a manner I would hate to have to endure. I may be a hardy soul, in every way, but I don't think an angry, millennia-old Nephandus would have much difficulty dismantling every cell in my body, either chronologically or alphabetically as he might choose..."

"Hum...that is sound reasoning, then again giving one's own familiar up as a hostage...well the question then still remains if we should try to find Abigail first before we take down the Labyrinth, in the hope she might not be home and we can get the jump on her...thought that might be to risky..."
The Security Chief said and leaned back in his chair.
He pondered, "If she is there, she is there. If she's not... well, we will just have to hunt her down again..."

"Fuck...well it is an elegant enough way to do it, I guess I should have suspected something like that...hum...we could destroy the bond between familiar and it's mistress, that will make Abigail if it is hers a pretty bad time and it might distract here when we go against her Labyrinth..."
He smiled wryly, "Yes, it's rather kind of beautiful in its simplicity... Hm, breaking the bond, would that be liable to kill the cat? Or cause it undue amounts of pain?"
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:22 am

Colin grinned and held up his signet ring, "I'm a silversmith - do I ever know what you mean. Granted, it does seem that custom work designed by the user and meticulously worked by a specialist craftsman can be quite as good, if not better, though some involvement with the raw materials does seem most relevant...

Hayden studied your ring and gave an acknowledging nod.
"Beautiful work Mr Wainwright. I think it vary from person to person. For some it is just important that the tool work for them, they need not have any part in it's manufacture, for others myself included, when a tool is manufactured for a specific purpose by my own hands, it becomes a manifestation of that purpose. I think perhaps the same effect can indeed be achieved by designing something with a purpose but having someone else actually create it."

Case in point, I do commission work, including a beautiful, perfectly designed pendulum for one of our dowsers - made from her own inherited silver. I don't know that it would have worked as well with a sheet of silver from my workshop."

"I do not know, I guess that depends on that dowser's point of view, but to me at least no, a fresh sheet would not have worked as well, since it would not have had that connection to me and my own inner being as something owned by my bloodline for generations."

He shrugged, "Under the circumstances... I might have waited perhaps twenty minutes for a reply, then called.

"Well first of all I was instructed that there was a small window of opportunity to act now if things where not as they should with Mr Valiant, I however have not been told how long that window is Sir, meaning waiting twenty minutes might not be prudent, in addition Adeptus Fisher wanted to close the room up I am not so sure he would want to wait twenty minutes for the man to get help."
Elanor protested and looked over at you.

Nevertheless, it's not my place to correct your judgment calls; what I can offer is suggestions of what I might have done in the same situation - but I'm not you, and our experience bases are very different. You make your choices as you must, just make sure that you own them, for better or for worse."

"You are an Awakened mage Sir and an ally of this Chantry which means you outrank me so I listen to what you have to say."
The hedge wizard said and sigh.
"I do own my decisions Sir."

He nodded, "Semantics indeed. I'll head downstairs then, once we've gone over the updates."

"Good then that is settled, let me know Miss Jerkins reaction to the pine cone please."
Joakim said and nodded.

He grimaced, "Quite so... And in a manner I would hate to have to endure. I may be a hardy soul, in every way, but I don't think an angry, millennia-old Nephandus would have much difficulty dismantling every cell in my body, either chronologically or alphabetically as he might choose..."

"Indeed and then finding your soul and binding it to eternal servitude."
The hedge wizard said and raised an eyebrow.
"Let us try not to go to war with another Nephandi faction unless we have a very good plan to win shall we, at least for now..."

He pondered, "If she is there, she is there. If she's not... well, we will just have to hunt her down again..."

"Very true, the question is if we should try to find her before the attack and take her down if she is not in her Labyrinth at that time."

He smiled wryly, "Yes, it's rather kind of beautiful in its simplicity... Hm, breaking the bond, would that be liable to kill the cat? Or cause it undue amounts of pain?"

"Yes and sometimes we forget to consider the very simple methods others might use against ut."
The Security Chief grumbled.
"Breaking the bond is not likely to kill the cat...but it will cause it allot of physical and emotional pain unfortunately, but so will it the one it is bonded to. Imagine if you had bonded another limb to you that had become a part of your body, and then someone came along and ripped that limb right of you, muscle and nerves and all...only this limb was part of your mind as well."
Joakim said and frowned.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:01 am

Adley to you the pine cone looked like any other of it's kind, it was small, brown and tightly closed, a tree waiting to be born, new life that had fallen from the branch of an old tree. It felt calming to hold it, and the small, unassuming this as a feeling of joy and innocence about it, for a moment you see Claire standing there in your mind's eye, pretty, elegant and dedicated, a book in her hands, the Tytalus looked up and smiled at you, then that vision, or perhaps just fancy of the mind evaporated as water on a hot summer day.

He inclined his head and put out his hands towards him so he could put it in them. Then he brought it back closer towards him, glancing at it as he decided what he was going to do. But as he did, the others conversations faded from his consciousness and instead he was thinking about Claire, feeling warmth and happiness and she was smiling at him. She was standing right there in his mind's eye, with her book. Without thinking twice he felt himself smile back at her. His sister, she was so perfect, before...

"I don't quite think this is...what you think it is," he said, blinking down at his hands a his senses returned to what was around him. He looked over at Colin. "This is not the kind of thing you...wave around in front of an enemy, I don't believe." He seemed reluctant to hand it back, but was holding it almost reverently or protectively and then offered it out to him. "I would ask exactly what was said of this...perhaps in private." He took his notebook to start writing a note to Colin.

"Good then that is settled, let me know Miss Jerkins reaction to the pine cone please." Joakim said and nodded.

"Sir, no. I don't think your test is a good idea...I don't believe that is it's purpose, here let me explain..." he said as he continued to write.

"Fuck...well it is an elegant enough way to do it, I guess I should have suspected something like that...hum...we could destroy the bond between familiar and it's mistress, that will make Abigail if it is hers a pretty bad time and it might distract here when we go against her Labyrinth...

"I wouldn't put it by them to have added some protective measures," he said as he continued to write.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:35 am

Joakim looked at his fellow Flambeau and raised an eyebrow.
"You do not think the pine cone is a weapon Mr Roth Hicks?"
He asked confused.
"What do you think it's purpose is then?"

"Sir, no. I don't think your test is a good idea...I don't believe that is it's purpose, here let me explain..." he said as he continued to write.

"Very well I will wait until I have read your explanation Sir."
Joakim said and nodded though he still looked very puzzled.

"I wouldn't put it by them to have added some protective measures," he said as he continued to write.

"A booby trapped familiar bond...I well I guess it is possible...I have never heard about it being done but anything can be accomplished so perhaps a scan of the bond before we do anything with it, scrying with it or other more extreme measures is in order."
The Security Chief said and nodded in agreement.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:54 am

"Yes but no...no but yes," he said, shaking his head as he wrote.

'When I held it I saw my sister, C. the way she used to be before we were captured. She was holding a book and smiling at me and it felt very calm and good, joyful and I was happy to see her. To be with her again. Like it was before. Considering what we know now about a certain book desired by them, that has to be relevant. And when I was with B. earlier I talked with her about her avatar. She  said that she felt different now though than she did before like she was also holding a torch. She also can tell more things about me now - just like you hear about twins I suppose. She said her avatar had been like a forest god, like an oak tree but now with no acorns.  I said that maybe there could be acorns again for her tree (and I wanted to get her one for Xmas that's why I said I might need your help later)...that she could paint it that way. It's not an acorn but it's similar. Also the other spirits call the shard in me a beacon, though it might not be related directly I am not sure though I do know that he came to me in my seeking when I needed hope and help to continue. And so yes it is a weapon I think but not like a hand grenade is or a bomb. Something even better than that, maybe if it's used correctly at the right time. But it might be for B. not for everyone or at least right now. You would know what context you got it but I'm not sure waving it around in front of them might be the best way to keep it safe.'

He folded the note in half and gave it to Colin, then rubbed at a pen ink smear on his finger.

"A booby trapped familiar bond...I well I guess it is possible...I have never heard about it being done but anything can be accomplished so perhaps a scan of the bond before we do anything with it, scrying with it or other more extreme measures is in order."

"Well if it was checked...I was thinking out loud, pardon. It's not normal circumstances is it, so..."

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:07 am

"Well if it was checked...I was thinking out loud, pardon. It's not normal circumstances is it, so..."

Joakim looked curiously at the note you handed Colin but he did not ask, that was your own private thoughts to share or not.
"Well examining the bond should not take to long and it might be prudent, better safe than sorry right."
The Security Chief said and nodded.

Crexia looked at your smudged fingers and seamed like she thought of something.
"Hum...if we have a minute later I might have a gift for your Mr Roth Hicks."
She said as if she suddenly thought about something.
"For now perhaps I and Mr Fisher should go and check on how preparations are going in the cafeteria"
The archmaga said, she glanced at your note as well but guessed that it might be something private and you might not want to more people in the room if you where going to discuss it. Hayden nodded and stood.
"I only came by to talk about the situation with the vampires and that have been covered so I should get back to do my art to get everyone ready for the attack."
The Flambeau agreed and nodded.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Hayden studied your ring and gave an acknowledging nod.
"Beautiful work Mr Wainwright. I think it vary from person to person. For some it is just important that the tool work for them, they need not have any part in it's manufacture, for others myself included, when a tool is manufactured for a specific purpose by my own hands, it becomes a manifestation of that purpose. I think perhaps the same effect can indeed be achieved by designing something with a purpose but having someone else actually create it."
Colin nodded, "The important thing, I should guess, is that the Mage designs it for its specific purpose, and the actual craftsman who makes it must understand what it is for and keep that in mind during production, even if they don't necessarily understand how it will be used."

"I do not know, I guess that depends on that dowser's point of view, but to me at least no, a fresh sheet would not have worked as well, since it would not have had that connection to me and my own inner being as something owned by my bloodline for generations."
He smiled, "I would surmise the personal link of inherited was an important element in the design; this was not just a well-balanced pendulum; it was a specially-designed flawless container for whatever material would be an arcane link in the dowsing - so I suspect purchased silver would be liable to throw off the aim - perhaps nudge the results toward my silver shop, or the the wholesaler that supplies me, or one of the smelters, or even a silver mine..."

"Well first of all I was instructed that there was a small window of opportunity to act now if things where not as they should with Mr Valiant, I however have not been told how long that window is Sir, meaning waiting twenty minutes might not be prudent, in addition Adeptus Fisher wanted to close the room up I am not so sure he would want to wait twenty minutes for the man to get help."
Elanor protested and looked over at you.
He nodded, grinning slightly, "This is true enough. On the other hand, Mrs. Knox could have been elbows-deep in an injury. Still, the important thing is it that it was your decision to make, you made it quite smoothly. That a few other aspects might not have been known to you at the time don't detract from that."

"You are an Awakened mage Sir and an ally of this Chantry which means you outrank me so I listen to what you have to say."
The hedge wizard said and sigh.
"I do own my decisions Sir."
He frowned, "See, now, that strict hierarchic rule... I happen to disagree with that, actually. That system is too ripe for abuse for my tastes... But that's a debate for another time and place."

He inclined his head and put out his hands towards him so he could put it in them. Then he brought it back closer towards him, glancing at it as he decided what he was going to do. But as he did, the others conversations faded from his consciousness and instead he was thinking about Claire, feeling warmth and happiness and she was smiling at him. She was standing right there in his mind's eye, with her book. Without thinking twice he felt himself smile back at her. His sister, she was so perfect, before...

"I don't quite think this is...what you think it is," he said, blinking down at his hands a his senses returned to what was around him. He looked over at Colin. "This is not the kind of thing you...wave around in front of an enemy, I don't believe." He seemed reluctant to hand it back, but was holding it almost reverently or protectively and then offered it out to him. "I would ask exactly what was said of this...perhaps in private." He took his notebook to start writing a note to Colin.
He arched an eyebrow at Adley's reaction, "Freddy said that there's a reason the pine cone was left where it was - and that it may save my life, and the lives of many others... it will be a beacon of light in the darkness, and perhaps remind a lost soul of what it was, and that I must keep it safe and bring it to the Labyrinth... No, i don't suppose it should be waved around - most likely, it needs to touch skin..."

His other eyebrow started rising.

'When I held it I saw my sister, C. the way she used to be before we were captured. She was holding a book and smiling at me and it felt very calm and good, joyful and I was happy to see her. To be with her again. Like it was before. Considering what we know now about a certain book desired by them, that has to be relevant. And when I was with B. earlier I talked with her about her avatar. She said that she felt different now though than she did before like she was also holding a torch. She also can tell more things about me now - just like you hear about twins I suppose. She said her avatar had been like a forest god, like an oak tree but now with no acorns. I said that maybe there could be acorns again for her tree (and I wanted to get her one for Xmas that's why I said I might need your help later)...that she could paint it that way. It's not an acorn but it's similar. Also the other spirits call the shard in me a beacon, though it might not be related directly I am not sure though I do know that he came to me in my seeking when I needed hope and help to continue. And so yes it is a weapon I think but not like a hand grenade is or a bomb. Something even better than that, maybe if it's used correctly at the right time. But it might be for B. not for everyone or at least right now. You would know what context you got it but I'm not sure waving it around in front of them might be the best way to keep it safe.'
He frowned as he read the note, then his eyes widened, "Bloody Hell, that's what she meant by it being Beatrice and not being her... and you helping me work it out. It wasn't a future version after all... The Serafina came across her in the Caul, back then, and she managed to hide this on board for me to find later. I think you're half-right, though; Beatrice will need to see this, too, but I must bring it to the Labyrinth as well... because I already did, and perhaps had to use it to save lives..."
He glanced over at Crexia, then back at Adley, "It could fathomably be a part of the whole, yes - and we should certainly look into that later."

"Indeed and then finding your soul and binding it to eternal servitude."
The hedge wizard said and raised an eyebrow.
"Let us try not to go to war with another Nephandi faction unless we have a very good plan to win shall we, at least for now..."
He grimaced, "He might find that bit a trifle too troublesome, but I wouldn't enjoy him determining that for himself... Besides, if that were to happen, Freddy would outright murder me."

"Very true, the question is if we should try to find her before the attack and take her down if she is not in her Labyrinth at that time."
He pondered, "My take on it... hitting her Familiar bond first might spook her and send her to pursue Nicolai to find out what the hell he's been doing to her cat. It could potentially draw her away from the Labyrinth. I suspect she's experienced enough not to let herself be easily traced..."

"Yes and sometimes we forget to consider the very simple methods others might use against ut."
The Security Chief grumbled.
"Breaking the bond is not likely to kill the cat...but it will cause it allot of physical and emotional pain unfortunately, but so will it the one it is bonded to. Imagine if you had bonded another limb to you that had become a part of your body, and then someone came along and ripped that limb right of you, muscle and nerves and all...only this limb was part of your mind as well."
Joakim said and frowned.
He pondered, "Perhaps keep someone ready to sever the link if she's in the Labyrinth when we hit, so as to destabilize her at a critical moment?"
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Colin nodded, "The important thing, I should guess, is that the Mage designs it for its specific purpose, and the actual craftsman who makes it must understand what it is for and keep that in mind during production, even if they don't necessarily understand how it will be used."

"I agree the main point is the intent as the tool is created so that the tool itself become a part of what it is to be used for."
Hayden said and nodded.

He smiled, "I would surmise the personal link of inherited was an important element in the design; this was not just a well-balanced pendulum; it was a specially-designed flawless container for whatever material would be an arcane link in the dowsing - so I suspect purchased silver would be liable to throw off the aim - perhaps nudge the results toward my silver shop, or the the wholesaler that supplies me, or one of the smelters, or even a silver mine..."

"That is quite possible yes, though hard to know without knowing the dowser in question, I have known those where the balance of the pendulum do not matter, or the material and others where it is all important, as I say it depends on how the user of the tool view things, and what works for them."

He nodded, grinning slightly, "This is true enough. On the other hand, Mrs. Knox could have been elbows-deep in an injury. Still, the important thing is it that it was your decision to make, you made it quite smoothly. That a few other aspects might not have been known to you at the time don't detract from that."

"Very true and yes I made a decision and no one know all elements involved in a case, hopefully it was the right one Sir."
Elanor said and glanced over at you.

He frowned, "See, now, that strict hierarchic rule... I happen to disagree with that, actually. That system is too ripe for abuse for my tastes... But that's a debate for another time and place."

"I understand your views Sir but our hierarchy have served the Order of Hermes well for centuries. I am apprenticed to a full third level member of the Order and will be the same myself, I will never be as respected as an Awakened mage but I will be a full member of the Order one day, provided I pass my gauntlet and I intend to do that and I will have full rights as a member of the Traditions, it is worse with linear magi that serve as Custos, there abuse happen...all to often but yes it is a topic for another day Sir."
The hedge wizard muttered and looked down, she was proud to be a Hermetic and did not like to hear her Tradition criticized.

He arched an eyebrow at Adley's reaction, "Freddy said that there's a reason the pine cone was left where it was - and that it may save my life, and the lives of many others... it will be a beacon of light in the darkness, and perhaps remind a lost soul of what it was, and that I must keep it safe and bring it to the Labyrinth... No, i don't suppose it should be waved around - most likely, it needs to touch skin..."

"Well whatever or not we will need skin contact is something we are going to have to find out with testing...but what else could it mean than this pine cone being a weapon for us to use?"
Joakim asked and scratched his head.

He frowned as he read the note, then his eyes widened, "Bloody Hell, that's what she meant by it being Beatrice and not being her... and you helping me work it out. It wasn't a future version after all... The Serafina came across her in the Caul, back then, and she managed to hide this on board for me to find later.

"But the Serafina had her unfortunate encounter only a few years ago...Claire went to the Cauls over seventy years ago...though I guess time might not be the same as ours in the hell dimension those poor souls are sent to..."
Joakim said and now he looked really curious about what Adley had written.
"Are you saying that little Tytalus left that pine cone for you to find while she was inside of the Caul Mr Wainwright?"
He asked and frowned.
"That just seams to...fantastical..."

He glanced over at Crexia, then back at Adley, "It could fathomably be a part of the whole, yes - and we should certainly look into that later."

"I and Mr Fisher will be leaving..."
Crexia said softly and stood her facial expression did not betray any curiosity, Hayden looked rather curious though.
"You might have quite a tressure there then."
The archmaga continued as she inclined her head to Joakim and the rest of the gathered magi and she and the Flambeau Adept headed for the door, Hayden to giving the gathered willworkers a slight nod before he left.

He grimaced, "He might find that bit a trifle too troublesome, but I wouldn't enjoy him determining that for himself... Besides, if that were to happen, Freddy would outright murder me."

Joakim chuckled.
"Well if you where bound into eternal servitude to the Jade Demon you might want Miss Adlebloom to murder you, and remember that old Nephandus is a patient man Mr Wainwright."

He pondered, "My take on it... hitting her Familiar bond first might spook her and send her to pursue Nicolai to find out what the hell he's been doing to her cat. It could potentially draw her away from the Labyrinth. I suspect she's experienced enough not to let herself be easily traced..."

"Hum...true but then again, once she is out of the Labyrinth she will be allot less protected and we have a good arcane connection to her, we stand a decent chance in finding her, and eliminating her before the fight begins...though it might be a reckless move..."
The Security Chief said and frowned.

He pondered, "Perhaps keep someone ready to sever the link if she's in the Labyrinth when we hit, so as to destabilize her at a critical moment?"

"That is not a bad idea Mr Wainwright...that might be quite helpful."
Joakim said and nodded.
"It might be a safer bet than trying to get her outside of her home so to speak."
He muttered thoughtfully.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:32 pm

"Very true and yes I made a decision and no one know all elements involved in a case, hopefully it was the right one Sir."
Elanor said and glanced over at you.
He nodded, "It seems to have been fairly spot on."

"I understand your views Sir but our hierarchy have served the Order of Hermes well for centuries. I am apprenticed to a full third level member of the Order and will be the same myself, I will never be as respected as an Awakened mage but I will be a full member of the Order one day, provided I pass my gauntlet and I intend to do that and I will have full rights as a member of the Traditions, it is worse with linear magi that serve as Custos, there abuse happen...all to often but yes it is a topic for another day Sir."
The hedge wizard muttered and looked down, she was proud to be a Hermetic and did not like to hear her Tradition criticized.
He grinned wryly, "Well, as an Orphan, I'm hardly of significant standing with the Order, myself... Now, my Cabalmate here..." He nodded toward Adley, "He could certainly be described as having some standing, being of the noble and most combustive House of the Order, but me? Ever the outsider, I'm afraid, left to make a name for myself from scratch, without the resources of a Tradition at my back."

"Well whatever or not we will need skin contact is something we are going to have to find out with testing...but what else could it mean than this pine cone being a weapon for us to use?"
Joakim asked and scratched his head.
He pondered for a moment, "A light in the darkness; a rallying point where the shadows can't and won't reach... A beacon of hope to remind the Fallen of what they've given up, what they could have had instead of pain and oblivion..."

"But the Serafina had her unfortunate encounter only a few years ago...Claire went to the Cauls over seventy years ago...though I guess time might not be the same as ours in the hell dimension those poor souls are sent to..."
"Are you saying that little Tytalus left that pine cone for you to find while she was inside of the Caul Mr Wainwright?"
He asked and frowned.
"That just seams to...fantastical..."
He nodded, "It's not an obvious connection. Not at first glance. But she placed it there just as I had a vision of the past - as I cast my first Initiate-level chronomantic spell. She would have recognized me, I think; seen the echoes of it through time, and known I would do everything to protect her... We've long since crossed the line into the fantastical and the preposterous, remember?"

"I and Mr Fisher will be leaving..."
Crexia said softly and stood her facial expression did not betray any curiosity, Hayden looked rather curious though.
"You might have quite a tressure there then."
The archmaga continued as she inclined her head to Joakim and the rest of the gathered magi and she and the Flambeau Adept headed for the door, Hayden to giving the gathered willworkers a slight nod before he left.
He gave Crexia and Hayden a quick bow as they left, then lowered his voice as the door closed, "I think she's worked it out, actually... But then, she probably knew us back in the day, as well... and I think she'll keep quiet about it."

Joakim chuckled.
"Well if you where bound into eternal servitude to the Jade Demon you might want Miss Adlebloom to murder you, and remember that old Nephandus is a patient man Mr Wainwright."
He nodded sagely, "Yes, well, Hell hath no fury..."

"Hum...true but then again, once she is out of the Labyrinth she will be allot less protected and we have a good arcane connection to her, we stand a decent chance in finding her, and eliminating her before the fight begins...though it might be a reckless move..."
The Security Chief said and frowned.
He grimaced and his hand twitched slightly in reminiscence, "The Fallen in Boston had a scryward up. The map we were using caught fire, along with the blood we used for a link. I'd be highly unsurprised if Abigail had a similar aggressive defence up..."

"That is not a bad idea Mr Wainwright...that might be quite helpful."
Joakim said and nodded.
"It might be a safer bet than trying to get her outside of her home so to speak."
He muttered thoughtfully.
He nodded, "Safer, and less likely to give her much of an advance warning that someone's working on her Familiar as it's happening."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:01 pm

He nodded, "It seems to have been fairly spot on."

Hayden nodded at that.

He grinned wryly, "Well, as an Orphan, I'm hardly of significant standing with the Order, myself... Now, my Cabalmate here..." He nodded toward Adley, "He could certainly be described as having some standing, being of the noble and most combustive House of the Order, but me? Ever the outsider, I'm afraid, left to make a name for myself from scratch, without the resources of a Tradition at my back."

Elanor glanced at Adley and then over at you again and gave a polite smile.
"Perhaps so Sir and I am not disputing that Orphans have a weak standing in the Traditions, but even so you are Awakened, I am not. I have learned magic, found ways to trick reality to bend to my will, you are magick, you deserve to be higher ranked than me."
The girl said softly and looked down.

He pondered for a moment, "A light in the darkness; a rallying point where the shadows can't and won't reach... A beacon of hope to remind the Fallen of what they've given up, what they could have had instead of pain and oblivion..."

"That might...stall some of them at least...it is hard to say how much of their old selves are left but if that is really what the pine cone do, then I would be interested in finding out more, it could possibly be very useful to us."
Joakim said and looked at the pine cone.
"Such a small thing..."
He muttered.

He nodded, "It's not an obvious connection. Not at first glance. But she placed it there just as I had a vision of the past - as I cast my first Initiate-level chronomantic spell. She would have recognized me, I think; seen the echoes of it through time, and known I would do everything to protect her... We've long since crossed the line into the fantastical and the preposterous, remember?"

"Yes certainly we passed preposterous some hours ago I think."
The old hedge wizard muttered.
"Well I have heard some Nephandi say they spend a thousand years in a moment in the Cauls, time in that hellish place might work differently but...how could it be possible that Claire...and what if that is the case are that pine cone?"

He gave Crexia and Hayden a quick bow as they left, then lowered his voice as the door closed, "I think she's worked it out, actually... But then, she probably knew us back in the day, as well... and I think she'll keep quiet about it."

"It would not surprise me Lady Crexia are a smart woman and yes she probably did know them...even so let us not give her confirmation shall we and not talk about the matter to openly shall we Mr Wainwright."
Joakim said in a warning tone of voice.

He nodded sagely, "Yes, well, Hell hath no fury..."

Joakim grinned a bit at that.

He grimaced and his hand twitched slightly in reminiscence, "The Fallen in Boston had a scryward up. The map we were using caught fire, along with the blood we used for a link. I'd be highly unsurprised if Abigail had a similar aggressive defence up..."

"A ward to prevent scrying is one thing and quite common, it is not quite as common to booby trap a familiar bond, I have in fact never heard about it but it could happen so we will try to check for it."
The Security Chief muttered.
"Just in case..."

He nodded, "Safer, and less likely to give her much of an advance warning that someone's working on her Familiar as it's happening."

"True...it might be a better option than trying to use it to lure Abigail out of her hole..."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:38 pm

Elanor glanced at Adley and then over at you again and gave a polite smile.
"Perhaps so Sir and I am not disputing that Orphans have a weak standing in the Traditions, but even so you are Awakened, I am not. I have learned magic, found ways to trick reality to bend to my will, you are magick, you deserve to be higher ranked than me."
The girl said softly and looked down.
Colin smiled and gave her a light pat on the shoulder, "I have an inherent advantage. You learned your abilities without that advantage; a far more impressive feat. Perhaps one day hard work and skill will be respected more than... I suppose one could call it circumstances of birth."

"That might...stall some of them at least...it is hard to say how much of their old selves are left but if that is really what the pine cone do, then I would be interested in finding out more, it could possibly be very useful to us."
Joakim said and looked at the pine cone.
"Such a small thing..."
He muttered.
He shrugged, "The bullet that killed Franz Ferdinand was a small thing, too... And we all know how that ended."

"Yes certainly we passed preposterous some hours ago I think."
The old hedge wizard muttered.
"Well I have heard some Nephandi say they spend a thousand years in a moment in the Cauls, time in that hellish place might work differently but...how could it be possible that Claire...and what if that is the case are that pine cone?"
He scratched his chin, "It might be... a part of her, stowed away for safekeeping while she was... turned. A memory that could help her reclaim what she was at a later date, if she has the courage to take the leap of faith."

"It would not surprise me Lady Crexia are a smart woman and yes she probably did know them...even so let us not give her confirmation shall we and not talk about the matter to openly shall we Mr Wainwright."
Joakim said in a warning tone of voice.
He nodded, "Indeed... At least, not until it's deemed a safe revelation. If that day ever comes..."

"A ward to prevent scrying is one thing and quite common, it is not quite as common to booby trap a familiar bond, I have in fact never heard about it but it could happen so we will try to check for it."
The Security Chief muttered.
"Just in case..."
He nodded, "I think it might turn out to be less a booby trap, and more like a spider feeling for the vibrations in the threads of her web... and the simile seems apt for Abigail."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Colin smiled and gave her a light pat on the shoulder, "I have an inherent advantage. You learned your abilities without that advantage; a far more impressive feat. Perhaps one day hard work and skill will be respected more than... I suppose one could call it circumstances of birth."

"Well my Avatar is strong and powerful it just have not decided to Awaken and I do not want to try to force it, besides if I did that now I would loose the magic I have worked so hard for and I do not think I would want that. But that do not mean the Awakened do not have more power and ability than I will ever have..."
The girl said and looked down again.

He shrugged, "The bullet that killed Franz Ferdinand was a small thing, too... And we all know how that ended."

"I can not argue with that Mr Wainwright."
Joakim said.
"Size is not always the measure of importance."

He scratched his chin, "It might be... a part of her, stowed away for safekeeping while she was... turned. A memory that could help her reclaim what she was at a later date, if she has the courage to take the leap of faith."

"It would be...fantastic if that is what it is, perhaps it could save poor Claire...such a sweet child...though I guess she is Beatrice Alexander now, in either case she deserve a chance..."

He nodded, "Indeed... At least, not until it's deemed a safe revelation. If that day ever comes..."

"I would not hold my breath for that day to come Mr Wainwright but yes...it is not something that should be talked about for now."
Joakim said sternly.

He nodded, "I think it might turn out to be less a booby trap, and more like a spider feeling for the vibrations in the threads of her web... and the simile seems apt for Abigail."

"Hum...that is also a possibility my good man, hopefully our examinations of the cat might discover such threads...and yet that simile do fit our dear Abigail most well."
The Security Chief said and made a note in his book about it.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:26 pm

He gave the girl a look and then said to soften the conversation, "I don't know, I think House Tytalus would enjoy having him as a member." Then he said, "I do hope you will continue towards the goal you seek and succeed. But for now let's attend to our respective duties."

Crexia looked at your smudged fingers and seamed like she thought of something. "Hum...if we have a minute later I might have a gift for your Mr Roth Hicks." She said as if she suddenly thought about something. "For now perhaps I and Mr Fisher should go and check on how preparations are going in the cafeteria"

"That is very kind of you, ma'am, thank you,. Do you think I need it before we leave?" he asked, glancing at her curiously. "Do forgive me, I'm not trying to be rude," he said, nodding at the note. "And thank you both for all your help."

"That is very important...but I think English tenses are working against clarifying it."

"I don't think so...of that last comment," he clarified.

He asked and frowned. "That just seams to...fantastical..."
He frowned as he read the note, then his eyes widened, "Bloody Hell, that's what she meant by it being Beatrice and not being her... and you helping me work it out. It wasn't a future version after all... The Serafina came across her in the Caul, back then, and she managed to hide this on board for me to find later. I think you're half-right, though; Beatrice will need to see this, too, but I must bring it to the Labyrinth as well... because I already did, and perhaps had to use it to save lives..." He glanced over at Crexia, then back at Adley, "It could fathomably be a part of the whole, yes - and we should certainly look into that later."

"Quietly..." he said, but then he frowned in confusion as he heard him speak of the ship and the caul. "I don't understand...the ship came across...?" He wrote out another note as he spoke.

Joakim said and looked at the pine cone. "Such a small thing..."

"Having had an interesting experience, size is not the same as power. But I believe it makes sense..."

'The ship came across a caul? In space? How...please explain what happened to the ship. If you already have brought it then I suppose you must take it again with you. And if it will save lives that is for the good. But I think this is a very important piece of the larger solution. From what has happened and what I have perceived, my thoughts are thus:

'In the hermetic system, the qlippoth are part of the shadow tree, literally shells or husks, whereas the sephiroth are the emanations of our universe represented in the tree of life. Qlippoth are absent of the glory or light touching them the sephiroth represent. That is why she speaks of her tree having no acorns. An acorn or a pinecone are symbols of potential life, rebirth, but a husk is empty and barren, an absence of glory. The cauls, I believe, somehow unbirth those that enter it and divorce them from current reality. That is why they use children, a literal symbol of birth and creation. The caul is a not-place outside the universe as we know it, in no-time. It destroys their union with the universe at a primal level. To the person in it, it feels like eternity and the spirit remembers all as now as it is torn asunder, stripped of everything it was created to Be. It destroys their connections to current reality and they are returned into that reality they no longer belong in, inverted. Having no potential, no light any longer. But it seems the corruption process may not be 100% when they come out,  something might remain.

'What you have may be the reminder of that time when they were whole and unbroken, when they had light and not just shadow, when they were not husks, tormented and warped. Not just what they 'could have again' but what they were/was/am/always could Be. That there can be acorns again, yes. To remind them of that is a most potent weapon against them, one of the most powerful we could have. But we should be careful whom we speak of this in front of, not that I don't trust them only that the more people know the more ways this information could get out. I think you can share this with the Chief, since he knows anyway, if you think it is wise.'

"I and Mr Fisher will be leaving..." Crexia said softly and stood her facial expression did not betray any curiosity, Hayden looked rather curious though. "You might have quite a tressure there then."

"Ma'am," he said, with a nod. "Sir," he said, nodding to Hayden.

He gave Crexia and Hayden a quick bow as they left, then lowered his voice as the door closed, "I think she's worked it out, actually... But then, she probably knew us back in the day, as well... and I think she'll keep quiet about it.

"Let's hope so," he said and handed Colin the note.

// I don't think anything Adley wrote would be considered a secret since it is literally kabbala 101 applied to the current dilemma to explain why what's going on makes sense to him and frame a discourse that doesn't make the Chief think they're both insane xD

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:10 pm

He gave the girl a look and then said to soften the conversation, "I don't know, I think House Tytalus would enjoy having him as a member." Then he said, "I do hope you will continue towards the goal you seek and succeed. But for now let's attend to our respective duties."

Elanor looked at you and gave you a little smile.
"Yes I think they might indeed want to have him as a member over at House Tytalus Sir..."
The hedge wizard said then her smile widened.
"You are to kind Sir thank you, but yes I have taken to much of your time, please let us get going."

"That is very kind of you, ma'am, thank you,. Do you think I need it before we leave?" he asked, glancing at her curiously. "Do forgive me, I'm not trying to be rude," he said, nodding at the note. "And thank you both for all your help."

"No it is not essential, just something practical. I have noticed your tendency to write things down and then having a number of notes to burn. I was thinking you might like an tablet and stylus in the style that was used in old Rome. It is quite comfortable to write in when using modern wax and the words are wiped away with ease unlike how it was back then where the was was hard as stone....if I do not have time to give it to you then I will have it sent to you on Steelhaven."
Crexia explained.

"Having had an interesting experience, size is not the same as power. But I believe it makes sense..."

"Very true, sometimes the greatest might are in the smallest of things."
Joakim muttered and smiled a little.

"Quietly..." he said, but then he frowned in confusion as he heard him speak of the ship and the caul. "I don't understand...the ship came across...?" He wrote out another note as he spoke.

"Mr Wainwright said that is what he discovered, that the Serafina had found wherever the Cauls send their victims for initiation...that would explain how corrupted the ship is."
The Security Chief said with a frown.
"Or perhaps not that place, since I have a feeling it is in the same non existent plane as the Nephandi's masters dwell in, but a manifestation of it perhaps, like a shade realm or perhaps a portal...in either case it is troubling."

"Ma'am," he said, with a nod. "Sir," he said, nodding to Hayden.

The two older Hermetics returned your nods before they left.

(OOC: yes if you can find something in spiritual books in Barns and Noble it is not illegal to share it for a Hermetic. Very good post though. You can give yourself one free exp.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:32 pm

"Well my Avatar is strong and powerful it just have not decided to Awaken and I do not want to try to force it, besides if I did that now I would loose the magic I have worked so hard for and I do not think I would want that. But that do not mean the Awakened do not have more power and ability than I will ever have..."
The girl said and looked down again.
Colin grinned, "Oh, I don't know... I believe I know one Linear Mage who could give most Awakened Magi one hell of a run for their money. A chap named Danbrock, visiting Steelhaven right now. I've seen him work, and he's impressively quick, and wields quite a bit of raw power. A specialist in countermagic, to be precise, and a very good one at that."

Elanor looked at you and gave you a little smile.
"Yes I think they might indeed want to have him as a member over at House Tytalus Sir..."
The hedge wizard said then her smile widened.
"You are to kind Sir thank you, but yes I have taken to much of your time, please let us get going."
He shrugged, smiling, "And I might have sought induction, if not for a certain ambition of mine, which would require neutrality and independence... We shall see. There might be other Traditions that might consider me a good fit, as well - the Cultists and the Euthanatoi among them..."

"That is very important...but I think English tenses are working against clarifying it."
"English is proving itself more and more limited this weekend..."

"Mr Wainwright said that is what he discovered, that the Serafina had found wherever the Cauls send their victims for initiation...that would explain how corrupted the ship is."
The Security Chief said with a frown.
"Or perhaps not that place, since I have a feeling it is in the same non existent plane as the Nephandi's masters dwell in, but a manifestation of it perhaps, like a shade realm or perhaps a portal...in either case it is troubling."
He nodded, "More to the point, I had a vision on board the Ship, and one of the crew hupothesized that the Caul dimension was where they'd wound up. The... condition of the ship would suggest that guess to very much fit the bill."

"I can not argue with that Mr Wainwright."
Joakim said.
"Size is not always the measure of importance."
He chuckled, "Are you quoting Gandalf the Grey, now?"

"It would be...fantastic if that is what it is, perhaps it could save poor Claire...such a sweet child...though I guess she is Beatrice Alexander now, in either case she deserve a chance..."

'The ship came across a caul? In space? How...please explain what happened to the ship. If you already have brought it then I suppose you must take it again with you. And if it will save lives that is for the good. But I think this is a very important piece of the larger solution. From what has happened and what I have perceived, my thoughts are thus:

'In the hermetic system, the qlippoth are part of the shadow tree, literally shells or husks, whereas the sephiroth are the emanations of our universe represented in the tree of life. Qlippoth are absent of the glory or light touching them the sephiroth represent. That is why she speaks of her tree having no acorns. An acorn or a pinecone are symbols of potential life, rebirth, but a husk is empty and barren, an absence of glory. The cauls, I believe, somehow unbirth those that enter it and divorce them from current reality. That is why they use children, a literal symbol of birth and creation. The caul is a not-place outside the universe as we know it, in no-time. It destroys their union with the universe at a primal level. To the person in it, it feels like eternity and the spirit remembers all as now as it is torn asunder, stripped of everything it was created to Be. It destroys their connections to current reality and they are returned into that reality they no longer belong in, inverted. Having no potential, no light any longer. But it seems the corruption process may not be 100% when they come out, something might remain.

'What you have may be the reminder of that time when they were whole and unbroken, when they had light and not just shadow, when they were not husks, tormented and warped. Not just what they 'could have again' but what they were/was/am/always could Be. That there can be acorns again, yes. To remind them of that is a most potent weapon against them, one of the most powerful we could have. But we should be careful whom we speak of this in front of, not that I don't trust them only that the more people know the more ways this information could get out. I think you can share this with the Chief, since he knows anyway, if you think it is wise.'
He nodded, "That... explanation does seem to fit."
He smiled thinly, "Your educational base does cover aspects that mine does not, after all. I think I can work out a means to empower the pine cone; to shine its light more clearly, even for those who aren't looking at it with the third eye open, so to speak. And I suspect the one who would see it clearly, and be blinded by it, would be miss Carlyle's Avatar... Probably."

"Let's hope so," he said and handed Colin the note.
He nodded, "She was Tremere, once... I think if she's figured it out, she would appreciate my situation like few others... A good and noble lady, I think. And no, best not to confirm it in plain English, nonetheless."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Colin grinned, "Oh, I don't know... I believe I know one Linear Mage who could give most Awakened Magi one hell of a run for their money. A chap named Danbrock, visiting Steelhaven right now. I've seen him work, and he's impressively quick, and wields quite a bit of raw power. A specialist in countermagic, to be precise, and a very good one at that."

"There are hedge wizards that have allot of raw power, but it is like this, there are people who are great at those coloring books for adults and create amazing images that some artists can not copy but an artist can create their own images and can reach much further than a good coloring hobbyist can...it is the same."
Elanor said and smiled a little.

He shrugged, smiling, "And I might have sought induction, if not for a certain ambition of mine, which would require neutrality and independence... We shall see. There might be other Traditions that might consider me a good fit, as well - the Cultists and the Euthanatoi among them..."

"I am sure all Traditions would be lucky to have you as a member Mr Wainwright. I would not know...well in either case we should probably get upstairs."
She said and smiled.
"I do wish you good luck with your own ambitions though Sir."

He nodded, "More to the point, I had a vision on board the Ship, and one of the crew hupothesized that the Caul dimension was where they'd wound up. The... condition of the ship would suggest that guess to very much fit the bill."

"Hum...yes it would, then again I am not sure you can get to that dimension through the Umbra directly, then again Dr Kelly was an amazing Umbral traveler so who knows...something related though do seam likely if one of the crew said so...depending on what knowledge they had about the subject..."
The Security Chief commented.

He chuckled, "Are you quoting Gandalf the Grey, now?"

"Quoting who now?"
The old hedge wizard asked sounding confused.

He nodded, "That... explanation does seem to fit."
He smiled thinly, "Your educational base does cover aspects that mine does not, after all. I think I can work out a means to empower the pine cone; to shine its light more clearly, even for those who aren't looking at it with the third eye open, so to speak. And I suspect the one who would see it clearly, and be blinded by it, would be miss Carlyle's Avatar... Probably."

"Hum...I only have half the conversation now Mr Wainwright and that gets a bit confusing but are you saying you can make some sort of light with the pine cone to stall Miss Carlyle's troublesome soul in it's steps?"
Joakim asked.

He nodded, "She was Tremere, once... I think if she's figured it out, she would appreciate my situation like few others... A good and noble lady, I think. And no, best not to confirm it in plain English, nonetheless."

"She was of House Tremere yes before it fell to vampirism...and she is a noble lady I do not think she will betray you Mr Wainwright, but your secret should never the less not be spread if you can avoid it, even if the good archmaga are one of those it might be safe to discuss it with."
The hedge wizard advices.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:57 pm

"No it is not essential, just something practical. I have noticed your tendency to write things down and then having a number of notes to burn. I was thinking you might like an tablet and stylus in the style that was used in old Rome. It is quite comfortable to write in when using modern wax and the words are wiped away with ease unlike how it was back then where the was was hard as stone....if I do not have time to give it to you then I will have it sent to you on Steelhaven." Crexia explained.

"That would be welcome and a useful solution. Thank you for considering my...habits," he said with a smile.

"Mr Wainwright said that is what he discovered, that the Serafina had found wherever the Cauls send their victims for initiation...that would explain how corrupted the ship is." The Security Chief said with a frown. "Or perhaps not that place, since I have a feeling it is in the same non existent plane as the Nephandi's masters dwell in, but a manifestation of it perhaps, like a shade realm or perhaps a portal...in either case it is troubling."

"That is very disturbing," he said with a frown.

He nodded, "That... explanation does seem to fit." He smiled thinly, "Your educational base does cover aspects that mine does not, after all. I think I can work out a means to empower the pine cone; to shine its light more clearly, even for those who aren't looking at it with the third eye open, so to speak. And I suspect the one who would see it clearly, and be blinded by it, would be miss Carlyle's Avatar... Probably."

He nodded to him and added to a scrap to offer to Colin 'Yes. You know things that I do not but we are all together for a reason. It was given to you and you'll know the time to use it. I just could sense C. so clearly and for the first time I was not sad, it did not feel like loss but like D. was seeing her again whole, after all that had happened to her so she could save us. Everything was calm and happy. I cannot explain it better than I have, I do not know how they might react. Only that perhaps they will recognize themselves in it the way I recognized C.

// thank you, noted : )

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:21 am

"There are hedge wizards that have allot of raw power, but it is like this, there are people who are great at those coloring books for adults and create amazing images that some artists can not copy but an artist can create their own images and can reach much further than a good coloring hobbyist can...it is the same."
Elanor said and smiled a little.
Colin pondered for a moment, "I suppose that's an accurate comparison... though for either group, the most important thing, I should think, is the willingness and ability to work on improving their skills with the tools they have - which is what makes up the most crucial difference."

"I am sure all Traditions would be lucky to have you as a member Mr Wainwright. I would not know...well in either case we should probably get upstairs."
She said and smiled.
"I do wish you good luck with your own ambitions though Sir."
He grinned, "Thank you. I hope to found a diplomatic service - sort of a marriage counselling for the Traditions. That would, obviously, require a neutral status, to avoid all sorts of trust issues escalating beyond those the Mercere have to deal with..."

"Hum...yes it would, then again I am not sure you can get to that dimension through the Umbra directly, then again Dr Kelly was an amazing Umbral traveler so who knows...something related though do seam likely if one of the crew said so...depending on what knowledge they had about the subject..."
The Security Chief commented.
"That is very disturbing," he said with a frown.
He nodded, "I'm not sure how knowledgeable Kenneth Gray Eagle was on the subject, but I think it safe to assume his guess would be in the right ballpark, considering the Serafina's purpose... And I don't think they went there directly, as such. There was some calamity at one point, and Dr. Kelly ordered the auto-destruction mechanism triggered... That failed, and some time later - I can't say how much, but not very long, I think, Mr. Gray Eagle speculated where they were. Delving slightly into speculation, they ran into some unknown phenomenon that turned out to be some sort of dimensional black hole, if you will - delivering them into some corrupted hell dimension. Speculating further, it was indeed the dimension to which the Cauls send their victims, but because the ship didn't enter through an actual Caul, the... thing that wrings an Avatar wasn't there to, er, greet them. That left the ship and crew exposed to the corrupt nature of that dimension in a wholly different way, and the ship eventually drifted back out into the Umbra proper, where its momentum eventually brought it back to where it was found... As an issue for longer-term research, this does presume one very interesting fact - that the Caul dimension is less perfectly separated from our own than previously assumed; that it can be reached through the Umbra instead of only through a Caul... and that it thus can be hypothetically attacked from the inside. That would probably require something to the order of numerous ships along the line of the Heart of Horizon, though, but it's an interesting hypothesis..."

"Quoting who now?"
The old hedge wizard asked sounding confused.
He grinned, "Sorry, I suppose you haven't found much time for relatively contemporary fiction... I presume you've at least heard of The Lord of the Rings? A fairly immense fantasy epic published in the mid-fifties?"

He nodded to him and added to a scrap to offer to him, 'Yes. You know things that I do not but we are all together for a reason. It was given to you and you'll know the time to use it. I just could sense C. so clearly and for the first time I was not sad, it did not feel like loss but like D. was seeing her again whole, after all that had happened to her so she could save us. Everything was calm and happy. I cannot explain it better than I have, I do not know how they might react. Only that perhaps they will recognize themselves in it the way I recognized C.
"Hum...I only have half the conversation now Mr Wainwright and that gets a bit confusing but are you saying you can make some sort of light with the pine cone to stall Miss Carlyle's troublesome soul in it's steps?"
Joakim asked.
He nodded to Adley as he read the third note, "I suspect it's likely that they'll see a flash of what they were or what they could be... I have a further hypothesis, which I'll discuss with you later, in private."
He scritched his cheek and arched an eyebrow at Adley before handing Joakim the notes, "Light, in the metaphorical sense rather than the literal. The light of reason, of creation, of life and so on..."

"She was of House Tremere yes before it fell to vampirism...and she is a noble lady I do not think she will betray you Mr Wainwright, but your secret should never the less not be spread if you can avoid it, even if the good archmaga are one of those it might be safe to discuss it with."
The hedge wizard advices.
He nodded, "I'll be as cautious as I can... Some insights may be harder to explain away, unfortunately..."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Tane Karyak Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:13 am

I'm trying to save a nephandus from gilgul because i think she can have some hope, so i'm building a case to prevent her from getting that punishment. I'm seeking people to support me and help me prepare my case. I don't know if you need to now more or if you aalready have ideas.
Tane Karyak
Tane Karyak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 30 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24 ... 30  Next