Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daggers in the Dark, Two Suns and New Friends IC Thread 58

+2
Meridia Porter
Anja Rebekka Schultze
6 posters

Page 16 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 31  Next

Go down

Daggers in the Dark, Two Suns and New Friends IC Thread 58 - Page 16 Empty Re: Daggers in the Dark, Two Suns and New Friends IC Thread 58

Post by Warpmind Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:36 pm

[Two Pleasures Bookstore and Tea House]
Anja wrote:"As yes they are adorable creatures are they not. I know my little boy is a spirit who inhabit the form of an owl, but he still have a very owl like way of behavior."
The little old lady replied.
Colin grinned, "Indeed they are, and Jareth is particularly clever, too, the little bundle of mischief."

Anja wrote:The old lady took the coins and put them in a small box she found under the counter.
"Thank you Sir, I will have these appraised, perhaps sold to a collector they will go some what to getting me a new roof."
She said sounding happy as she carefully took the noble papers and put that in an envelope she cast a spell on, probably to protect it, and putt his and the Tass in her safe, she looked up from her task to look at Colin with a warm smile.
"I would appreciate that Sir, I grew up in that house you know, my family was part of the at the time new middle class, my father was a watch maker though my grandparents bought the house with inheritance they got from the lord they serve all of their adult life."
She said proudly.
"I have many good memories from that house. I am so happy it is still standing."
He nodded, "I'll be glad to pay it a visit, it still stood there when I left, about twenty years ago, but London does take care of its old architecture, last I checked."
He paused for a moment, "Wait, Coldstreet... your father would have been working around... 1890? I am fairly certain my great-grandfather left behind a brass fob watch with that name etched in the lid. I'll have to ask my father, but... it is a small world."

He shook his head, "Sorry, I seem to be running off topic... Master Nassa, Serge, did you find any books you wanted, and the one I asked for?"

((OOC: Good luck, Nick. A good time to move might be rare, but there's never a good time to get thrown out, is there? :/))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Daggers in the Dark, Two Suns and New Friends IC Thread 58 - Page 16 Empty Re: Daggers in the Dark, Two Suns and New Friends IC Thread 58

Post by Meridia Porter Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:27 pm

[Outside Morgan's House]

Nicole wrote:'Hmm?' giving a little frown. 'Eh... it like, depends. Old stuff ain't immediately rubbish, and vice-versa.' twirling the old-fashioned lighter in her hand for a moment before pocketing it. 'Does kinda look like it's out of one of them history recreation shows or them English ones where the guys wear tight pants and top hats, though.' tone making it kinda obvious she wasn't a fan.

"You're not a fan of period pieces at all?" Meridia draws herself up to her full height and affects a strange posture and vaguely posh tone.

"Not even an eye for the strapping manservants, hm?" Her eyes glimmer with a mischevious glint, and her impression is threatened by a barely held smile.

She drops it a moment later. "I guess it's personal taste, that's up to you."

She doesn't seem to approve of the smoking, but she doesn't mention it, simply doing her best to avoid the cloud where she can.
Meridia Porter
Meridia Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:40 pm

Anja wrote:The book contained theories on astral projection, several rituals to work to achieve it and ideas and speculation on the world of pure mind.
"Is there anything else you are looking for Mr Yager?"
Amadeus asked, he had selected three books for himself.
"Ah there is Mr Wainwright."
He said and headed to the counter.

He made sure to take a good look at the rituals suggested, knowing that he could recall them using mind magick at any time in the future. He planned on trying them out in a later date. He was about to answer Master Nassa questions when he noticed his cabal leader return.

He gave a polite nod to his cabal leader and looked over to see what treasure he had retrieved.

Anja wrote:The little old lady turned to Colin and asked.
"Did you find anything Sir? And my dear little boy down there did he behave himself? I am afraid he have a bit of a temper."
Colin wrote:Closing the hatch properly and returning to the front of the counter, he reached out and borrowed a little bit of heat from the teapot to warm up the half-a-cup he'd left behind, and finished it with a smile, before going over the contents of the bundle in a low, quiet voice, "Now, here are some old coins - quite valuable, given their untarnished condition - and four Tass crystals, quite good quality. Easily divisible. A notebook which I must insist on holding on to, and the documentation of Julius de Medici's pedigree, which you might like to keep; should you ever wish to sell the building, having some proof of its origins could fetch you quite the valuation. And then..."
He showed her the two flasks, "these two, the completed first stage of the Philosopher's Stone. Valuable beyond gold and gems, and dangerous in equal measure. So here is what I propose, since it was hidden on your property: we split the coins equally, as to we the Tass crystals. I take the notebook, you get the de Medici papers. If you feel it's worth the danger, we take one flask each, or, I return next year and install a silver sigil in your floor in place of the copper one, any purity you would like, or an equivalent laboratory improvement in silver. Does this sound agreeable to you?"
Anja wrote:The little old woman seamed to consider for a moment.
"Hum...the flask is more worth than a silver symbol but I agree it would be a dangerous thing to keep, and if you and your friends had not dropped by Sir I would not have known the items was there. That I keep the papers, half the coins and half the tass and you get the rest but make for me a silver inlaid symbol in my floor next year seam a fair deal."
She said and she extended a hand to shake on it, her hand was decorated by old fashioned rings and the lace trim from the cuffs of her white blouse.
Colin wrote:He smiled and shook her hand firmly, and poured out the coins on the counter, quickly counting them out and sorting them in equal-value, "We have an accord. Let's see... the coins don't divide completely evenly, of course, I should have expected. Here, your stack is a pennyweight of silver larger, it is only right. Here are the de Medici papers, and the two crystals, and I bring the rest to safety. And I look forward to returning with the new sigil. I already took the liberty of copying it down, with measurements. Also, I noticed the childhood photo in the back... I'll be visiting London for the holidays; I've been to the house in the picture, if you like, I could see if I can get a photo of the old place, see if it's still in good shape?"

Colin wrote:He shook his head, "Sorry, I seem to be running off topic... Master Nassa, Serge, did you find any books you wanted, and the one I asked for?"

Serge was listening on the discussion with keen interest. When Colin turned his attention to him he raised his astral projection book. "Sadly no sudden revelation that instantly turned me into an adept level mage. Got a few new ideas for leaving my mortal body though. Still, think you beat me when it comes to value of treasure retrieved." he said with a chuckle, "Sounds like you found a bunch of loot. No magick items but a lot of money and materials. Which is equally as interesting. I believe Master Nassa was looking around for the book you wanted."
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:36 pm

Colin grinned, "Indeed they are, and Jareth is particularly clever, too, the little bundle of mischief."

"They often are."
The old woman said with a chuckle.

He nodded, "I'll be glad to pay it a visit, it still stood there when I left, about twenty years ago, but London does take care of its old architecture, last I checked."
He paused for a moment, "Wait, Coldstreet... your father would have been working around... 1890? I am fairly certain my great-grandfather left behind a brass fob watch with that name etched in the lid. I'll have to ask my father, but... it is a small world."

"Yes I believe that London do indeed take care of it's past."
The bookseller said.
"Ah imagine that, small world indeed Sir. Yes my father made many pieces and he made them to last."

He shook his head, "Sorry, I seem to be running off topic... Master Nassa, Serge, did you find any books you wanted, and the one I asked for?"

"Yes indeed I found the Fragile Path and also a few books for me."
Amadeus said holding up three books that he went and paid for then he handed a small, red leather bound volume to you.

Serge was listening on the discussion with keen interest. When Colin turned his attention to him he raised his astral projection book. "Sadly no sudden revelation that instantly turned me into an adept level mage. Got a few new ideas for leaving my mortal body though. Still, think you beat me when it comes to value of treasure retrieved." he said with a chuckle, "Sounds like you found a bunch of loot. No magick items but a lot of money and materials. Which is equally as interesting. I believe Master Nassa was looking around for the book you wanted."

"Ah young man I am afraid it is not that easy. Books can teach you the magick you seek but it takes time and practice to reach mastery."
The old bookseller said as she accepted payment for Amadeus' book choices.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:52 pm

[Morgan's House]

Anja's Post:

A moment's consideration. 'Not sure what I could do about that, sir. Unless you want me to borrow a Dynavert and strafe them or something.' giving a little frown at the idea. 'I mean, are they actually doing anything 'part from being loud and annoying?' a small part of her wondering whether she should suggest getting that haughty receptionist to glower at them and threaten them with being reported.

Having finished her call, she went into the kitchen, clutching her PDA with the wires wrapped around it. 'Now, for the jar of mystery...' she quipped in a significant tone.

[Concordia]

Meridia's Post:

A moment's consideration. 'Think death would be preferred, like. That is, if the boredom didn't kill me first.' giving another shudder, expelling a cloud of smoke. 'But why would I want to go backwards?'

[There, got the yellow jar mini-scene going again]

[Luckily, I don't have a hard date to move out, but it's been made politely clear I can't piss about it forever. Will admit I am a little daunted; it's the first 'proper adult move' I am making.]

Last edited by Nicole Bouchard on Mon May 01, 2023 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:00 pm

Anja wrote:"Yes I believe that London do indeed take care of it's past."
The bookseller said.
"Ah imagine that, small world indeed Sir. Yes my father made many pieces and he made them to last."
Colin nodded, "I'll have to see if it still works... Father is quite fond of it, as an heirloom, but it's kept in a glass case, rather than being worn."

Anja wrote:"Yes indeed I found the Fragile Path and also a few books for me."
Amadeus said holding up three books that he went and paid for then he handed a small, red leather bound volume to you.
He accepted the book and slid it into the silk bundle with the notebook, "Much obliged - let me know what I owe you when we get back, alright?"

Jeremy wrote:Serge was listening on the discussion with keen interest. When Colin turned his attention to him he raised his astral projection book. "Sadly no sudden revelation that instantly turned me into an adept level mage. Got a few new ideas for leaving my mortal body though. Still, think you beat me when it comes to value of treasure retrieved." he said with a chuckle, "Sounds like you found a bunch of loot. No magick items but a lot of money and materials. Which is equally as interesting. I believe Master Nassa was looking around for the book you wanted."
Anja wrote:"Ah young man I am afraid it is not that easy. Books can teach you the magick you seek but it takes time and practice to reach mastery."
He smiled wryly, "Tass stones would certainly count as magic items, son... and there is more to magical items than just pointing a stick and making flowers bloom on the ground before you, for example. Some times, the magic becomes apparent in recombining the items you have in new ways... As for suddenly becoming an Adept mage, I'm afraid that's only realistically feasible through a legal fiction, not something you can get just by reading an ordinary textbook. Right, do you have money for your pick of literature?"

((OOC: Been there, done that, back in high school, the landlord sold the house I was renting a room in, so I had to kind of scramble for a new little crawlspace since the new owners wanted to move in themselves instead of renting to students... That was 25 years ago, though...))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:55 pm

[Morgan's House]

A moment's consideration. 'Not sure what I could do about that, sir. Unless you want me to borrow a Dynavert and strafe them or something.' giving a little frown at the idea. 'I mean, are they actually doing anything 'part from being loud and annoying?' a small part of her wondering whether she should suggest getting that haughty receptionist to glower at them and threaten them with being reported.

"Well they...bother those who want to come into the convention area, screaming at them and weaving posters in their faces calling them every name under the sun...but they are not attacking anyone."
Baynes replied sounding stressed.
"So harming them is out I guess but they are making it very hard to host the event."

Having finished her call, she went into the kitchen, clutching her PDA with the wires wrapped around it. 'Now, for the jar of mystery...' she quipped in a significant tone.

"Ah yes...well please do check what the yellow powder is Miss Bouchard...I am curious now."
Amadeus said eyeing the offending powder skeptically.

Colin nodded, "I'll have to see if it still works... Father is quite fond of it, as an heirloom, but it's kept in a glass case, rather than being worn."

"Hum...it would not surprise me if it still worked, my father was a skilled man, many fine folks bought his watches."
"Also back in the day things was made to last rather than to last until the warranty date expires."

He accepted the book and slid it into the silk bundle with the notebook, "Much obliged - let me know what I owe you when we get back, alright?"

"Certainly Mr Wainwright."
Amadeus said with a nod.
"I have kept the receipt."

(OOC: Yeah me and my husband had to move around allot before we got the apartment we are in now, there was a long line of shitty landlords with shitty reasons to make us move.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:16 pm

Anja wrote:"Hum...it would not surprise me if it still worked, my father was a skilled man, many fine folks bought his watches."
"Also back in the day things was made to last rather than to last until the warranty date expires."
Colin nodded thoughtfully, "Well... 120 years is a long time, and I'm afraid my father didn't take it out much, out of fear of losing it; grandfather was... lost in World War 2, when dad was just a toddler himself... It seems rather plausible that the internals might have seized up, though I doubt it would be irreparable, even if that were the case."

Anja wrote:"Certainly Mr Wainwright."
Amadeus said with a nod.
"I have kept the receipt."
He nodded, "Capital."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:41 pm

Anja wrote:"Ah young man I am afraid it is not that easy. Books can teach you the magick you seek but it takes time and practice to reach mastery."
Colin wrote:He smiled wryly, "Tass stones would certainly count as magic items, son... and there is more to magical items than just pointing a stick and making flowers bloom on the ground before you, for example. Some times, the magic becomes apparent in recombining the items you have in new ways... As for suddenly becoming an Adept mage, I'm afraid that's only realistically feasible through a legal fiction, not something you can get just by reading an ordinary textbook. Right, do you have money for your pick of literature?"

"Well fiction and reality often coincide. And I feel like there's a difference between magickal materials and magickal items. There's a certain feelings and aesthetics attached to those terms." Serge said simply placing the astral projection book back in it's appropriate place, not intending to buy it.

"Anyways, I suppose that's us done here then right? Where to next?"
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon May 01, 2023 9:31 am

Colin nodded thoughtfully, "Well... 120 years is a long time, and I'm afraid my father didn't take it out much, out of fear of losing it; grandfather was... lost in World War 2, when dad was just a toddler himself... It seems rather plausible that the internals might have seized up, though I doubt it would be irreparable, even if that were the case."

""Let me know if you need any replacement parts Mr Wainwright. I have a large crate of the parts and tools my father used, with the right tools a skilled clock maker should be able to repair any problem with the clock."
The elderly lady offered.

He nodded, "Capital."

Amadeus just nodded at that.

"Well fiction and reality often coincide. And I feel like there's a difference between magickal materials and magickal items. There's a certain feelings and aesthetics attached to those terms." Serge said simply placing the astral projection book back in it's appropriate place, not intending to buy it.

"Having your own terminology is fine kid but expecting others to use it is something else. I suspect what you are thinking about are things we call talismans, wonders, artifacts and so on, items imbued with magick, rather than magickal items."
Amadeus commented.

"Anyways, I suppose that's us done here then right? Where to next?"

Amadeus looked at Colin.
"Where do you want to go first Mr Wainwright?"
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 pm

Anja wrote:"Let me know if you need any replacement parts Mr Wainwright. I have a large crate of the parts and tools my father used, with the right tools a skilled clock maker should be able to repair any problem with the clock."
The elderly lady offered.
Colin smiled and gave her a nod, "I appreciate the offer. Thank you."

Jeremy wrote:"Well fiction and reality often coincide. And I feel like there's a difference between magickal materials and magickal items. There's a certain feelings and aesthetics attached to those terms." Serge said simply placing the astral projection book back in it's appropriate place, not intending to buy it.
Anja wrote:"Having your own terminology is fine kid but expecting others to use it is something else. I suspect what you are thinking about are things we call talismans, wonders, artifacts and so on, items imbued with magick, rather than magickal items."
Amadeus commented.
Colin grinned, "Fair point, Serge, but in all the stories where an item gives sudden powers like that, how often has there not been a surprise cost, or hidden drawback involved?"

Jeremy wrote:"Anyways, I suppose that's us done here then right? Where to next?"
Anja wrote:Amadeus looked at Colin.
"Where do you want to go first Mr Wainwright?"
He pondered, "Well, there is one other prisoner I should visit, but... I think perhaps I should get back to the house and unpack first. I'll take that trip later, before going out for that drink. Hum, but do let us swing by the tea shop across the street on the way back."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Mon May 01, 2023 1:08 pm

Anja wrote:"Having your own terminology is fine kid but expecting others to use it is something else. I suspect what you are thinking about are things we call talismans, wonders, artifacts and so on, items imbued with magick, rather than magickal items."
Amadeus commented.
Colin wrote:Colin grinned, "Fair point, Serge, but in all the stories where an item gives sudden powers like that, how often has there not been a surprise cost, or hidden drawback involved?"

"Sometimes if there cursed. Though other times the drawback doesn't come from the item but the responsibility of using the power for good. And other other times the item might just be a reward for the characters effort." Serge said with a shrug, "There's a lot of different ways you can handle that trope."

Anja wrote:He pondered, "Well, there is one other prisoner I should visit, but... I think perhaps I should get back to the house and unpack first. I'll take that trip later, before going out for that drink. Hum, but do let us swing by the tea shop across the street on the way back."

"You have been on your feet since we landed. You should get some rest and at least unpack some of your things." Serge said with a nod, though he did look a bit sad to see the small treasure hunting trip was over. "I won't drink the tea but I will absorb in the atmosphere."
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon May 01, 2023 4:27 pm

Colin smiled and gave her a nod, "I appreciate the offer. Thank you."

"Ah it is no bother, having some of my father's watches around makes me feel like part of him is still around, he was a good man you know, a good father."
The old woman said fondly.

He pondered, "Well, there is one other prisoner I should visit, but... I think perhaps I should get back to the house and unpack first. I'll take that trip later, before going out for that drink. Hum, but do let us swing by the tea shop across the street on the way back."

Amadeus nodded at that and he handed thanked the bookseller and headed out of the store.

"Sometimes if there cursed. Though other times the drawback doesn't come from the item but the responsibility of using the power for good. And other other times the item might just be a reward for the characters effort." Serge said with a shrug, "There's a lot of different ways you can handle that trope."

"I fear that is not usually how things work in real life young man, power do not care about your morals and good and evil tend to be only within the mind of the individual and not universal thing, what is good for one person could be evil for another, learning and attaining power require hard work and effort."
The bookseller said kindly.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon May 01, 2023 4:35 pm

Anja wrote:"Ah it is no bother, having some of my father's watches around makes me feel like part of him is still around, he was a good man you know, a good father."
The old woman said fondly.
Colin smiled, "I know what you mean."

Jeremy wrote:"Sometimes if there cursed. Though other times the drawback doesn't come from the item but the responsibility of using the power for good. And other other times the item might just be a reward for the characters effort." Serge said with a shrug, "There's a lot of different ways you can handle that trope."
Anja wrote:"I fear that is not usually how things work in real life young man, power do not care about your morals and good and evil tend to be only within the mind of the individual and not universal thing, what is good for one person could be evil for another, learning and attaining power require hard work and effort."
He nodded sagely, "And as an addendum, the desire for power, especially the desire for easily attained power, has a nasty tendency to corrupt a person, too - there's a good reason for why powerful magical gifts are often presented as coming from tempters and tricksters in mythology and fiction. So you should be careful."

Anja wrote:Amadeus nodded at that and he handed thanked the bookseller and headed out of the store.
Jeremy wrote:"You have been on your feet since we landed. You should get some rest and at least unpack some of your things." Serge said with a nod, though he did look a bit sad to see the small treasure hunting trip was over. "I won't drink the tea but I will absorb in the atmosphere."
He chuckled, leading Serge along after Amadeus, "Oh, you sweet summer child, a good cup of tea can be a grand treasure in and of itself... and are you suggesting I am getting old and tired, hmmm? Besides, we're just picking up some leaves, not sitting down for a cup... this time."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Mon May 01, 2023 4:49 pm

Anja wrote:"I fear that is not usually how things work in real life young man, power do not care about your morals and good and evil tend to be only within the mind of the individual and not universal thing, what is good for one person could be evil for another, learning and attaining power require hard work and effort."

"I am well aquatinted with the precepts that everyone's unique perception colors their own reality." Serge said with a grin.

Colin wrote:He nodded sagely, "And as an addendum, the desire for power, especially the desire for easily attained power, has a nasty tendency to corrupt a person, too - there's a good reason for why powerful magical gifts are often presented as coming from tempters and tricksters in mythology and fiction. So you should be careful."

"Yeah I know. Power corrupts. Tale as old as time. Still I do need to try and improve somehow. Or else I'm probably just gonna be sidelined in the next adventure....again."

Colin wrote:He chuckled, leading Serge along after Amadeus, "Oh, you sweet summer child, a good cup of tea can be a grand treasure in and of itself... and are you suggesting I am getting old and tired, hmmm? Besides, we're just picking up some leaves, not sitting down for a cup... this time."

"Magickal Tea would be a grand treasure. Normal tongue-scalding tea is less so." Serge said with a chuckle, "You should look into something like that. Dragon Fire tea that lets you breathe flames would be a lot cooler than the regular stuff."
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon May 01, 2023 5:25 pm

Jeremy wrote:"Yeah I know. Power corrupts. Tale as old as time. Still I do need to try and improve somehow. Or else I'm probably just gonna be sidelined in the next adventure....again."
Colin shook his head, "Not quite... I mean, yes, that's what the old adage says, but I disagree. What corrupts is the want for power, not the mere possession of it. Take, say, Chief Morgan, for example, he has incredible power, but he's grown with it, rather than pursuing it without care nor concern for his surroundings. Lady Crexia is similar, she never let ambition and thirst for power cloud her morals or judgment. Besides, if it were just a matter of raw power, I do believe you would be senior to me; you are a good kid, what you lack to advance properly right now, I think, is diligence and routine, not mere magical power."
He gave Serge a grin and a pat on the shoulder, "You have a good heart, and a keen eye, you are just a little on the undisciplined side. And a little discipline, well, I can help you onto that path, at least - I think the carrot will work well for you in that regard, no need for the stick."

Jeremy wrote:"Magickal Tea would be a grand treasure. Normal tongue-scalding tea is less so." Serge said with a chuckle, "You should look into something like that. Dragon Fire tea that lets you breathe flames would be a lot cooler than the regular stuff."
He arched an eyebrow, "Dr. Lee will probably be exasperated at my telling you this, but I do believe the Akashics have some candies that do that. They are sort of frowned upon for use in public, though..."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Mon May 01, 2023 8:04 pm

Colin wrote:Colin shook his head, "Not quite... I mean, yes, that's what the old adage says, but I disagree. What corrupts is the want for power, not the mere possession of it. Take, say, Chief Morgan, for example, he has incredible power, but he's grown with it, rather than pursuing it without care nor concern for his surroundings. Lady Crexia is similar, she never let ambition and thirst for power cloud her morals or judgment. Besides, if it were just a matter of raw power, I do believe you would be senior to me; you are a good kid, what you lack to advance properly right now, I think, is diligence and routine, not mere magical power."
He gave Serge a grin and a pat on the shoulder, "You have a good heart, and a keen eye, you are just a little on the undisciplined side. And a little discipline, well, I can help you onto that path, at least - I think the carrot will work well for you in that regard, no need for the stick."

"The desire for power is more corrupting than power itself. That's certainly a more interesting way of looking at things. Guess I still have a long way to go till I'm at yours or Nick's level." Serge said with a resigned sigh. Accepting that his struggle for greater magicks was going to take a little bit longer but not particularly happy about it. He did grin a little and said, "I'm fairly certain your my senior in every regard, including magickal power. You've cast far greater spells than I ever could."

Colin wrote:He arched an eyebrow, "Dr. Lee will probably be exasperated at my telling you this, but I do believe the Akashics have some candies that do that. They are sort of frowned upon for use in public, though..."

"Yeah if anyone was going to create something like that, it would be the Akashic. They love their dragon iconography." Serge said with a knowing nod, "You know I feel like the realm of magickal foods is wholly unexplored. Although I say that having no idea what some magickal chef in Concordia might have created."
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon May 01, 2023 9:30 pm

Colin smiled, "I know what you mean."

The old woman gave a warm smile at that.

He nodded sagely, "And as an addendum, the desire for power, especially the desire for easily attained power, has a nasty tendency to corrupt a person, too - there's a good reason for why powerful magical gifts are often presented as coming from tempters and tricksters in mythology and fiction. So you should be careful."

"And often it is quickly attained power which is what the Nephandi use to lure people to make contract with their dark masters."
The bookseller agreed.

"I am well aquatinted with the precepts that everyone's unique perception colors their own reality." Serge said with a grin.

"Then young man, how would a magical item know if your deeds are good or bad, when your idea of good could be completely different from the creator of said talisman?"
The little old lady asked raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah I know. Power corrupts. Tale as old as time. Still I do need to try and improve somehow. Or else I'm probably just gonna be sidelined in the next adventure....again."

Amadeus turned in the door.
"I believe you have been offered to join us several time when we have gone to deal with our enemies kid, but you yourself believed you did not have enough to offer, and you was with us when we took down that ancient vampire in Seattle, and on several other missions as well, it would seam what you need is not more power but more confidence."
Amadeus replied bluntly.

"Magickal Tea would be a grand treasure. Normal tongue-scalding tea is less so." Serge said with a chuckle, "You should look into something like that. Dragon Fire tea that lets you breathe flames would be a lot cooler than the regular stuff."

"Well sometimes kid one want to relax and not set the curtains on fire."
Amadeus replied dryly.

Colin shook his head, "Not quite... I mean, yes, that's what the old adage says, but I disagree. What corrupts is the want for power, not the mere possession of it. Take, say, Chief Morgan, for example, he has incredible power, but he's grown with it, rather than pursuing it without care nor concern for his surroundings. Lady Crexia is similar, she never let ambition and thirst for power cloud her morals or judgment. Besides, if it were just a matter of raw power, I do believe you would be senior to me; you are a good kid, what you lack to advance properly right now, I think, is diligence and routine, not mere magical power."

The desire for power is more corrupting than power itself. That's certainly a more interesting way of looking at things. Guess I still have a long way to go till I'm at yours or Nick's level." Serge said with a resigned sigh. Accepting that his struggle for greater magicks was going to take a little bit longer but not particularly happy about it. He did grin a little and said, "I'm fairly certain your my senior in every regard, including magickal power. You've cast far greater spells than I ever could."

"I would claim it is not the desire for power either which corrupt but when power outgrow wisdom. We are mages all of us want to advance and grow which is fine but unless that power is also tapered with the wisdom of knowing when to use it and when not to use it there is the problem. And Mr Yager you are a skilled mage, based on your magick I would not hesitate to fight at your side, my concern when it comes to taking you to a combat mission is your maturity, your insistence the complex world we live in adhere to simplified tropes. You could be as powerful as Jeffry and I would still have that concern, more so in fact."
Amadeus said then he sigh.
"Listen kid your Paradigm is fine, but with any Paradigm there is danger of corruption. No one is asking you to shed our sense of wonder, but you can keep that and still grow in maturity. If you want to go on combat missions though we can take you, just as long as you are aware that people die during combat missions, there are no heroes who make every right move and never kill or harm, combat is not grand adventure it is horrible, and bloody and cruel."
The old Verbena said sadly.
"And we have all wanted to protect you from that...from having to kill someone who are just doing their job, someone who have a wife and children waiting for them at home, who is not a bad person, they are simply working for someone who oppose your interests and they would kill you if you did not kill them first...It is not about power kid it is about innocence, which is a precious thing but one which is easy to loose."

"Yeah if anyone was going to create something like that, it would be the Akashic. They love their dragon iconography." Serge said with a knowing nod, "You know I feel like the realm of magickal foods is wholly unexplored. Although I say that having no idea what some magickal chef in Concordia might have created."

"Kitchen witchcraft and magickal cooking and food used as a Paradigm, as tools or as vessels for talismans is not uncommon among the Verbena."
Amadeus explained.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon May 01, 2023 9:51 pm

Anja wrote:Amadeus turned in the door.
"I believe you have been offered to join us several time when we have gone to deal with our enemies kid, but you yourself believed you did not have enough to offer, and you was with us when we took down that ancient vampire in Seattle, and on several other missions as well, it would seam what you need is not more power but more confidence."
Amadeus replied bluntly.
Colin nodded to Amadeus, "True enough, you can borrow the combat skills you need, but learning to trust your own skills, and knowing where your current limits are, is going to be important going forward."

Anja wrote:"And often it is quickly attained power which is what the Nephandi use to lure people to make contract with their dark masters."
The bookseller agreed.
Jeremy wrote:"The desire for power is more corrupting than power itself. That's certainly a more interesting way of looking at things. Guess I still have a long way to go till I'm at yours or Nick's level." Serge said with a resigned sigh. Accepting that his struggle for greater magicks was going to take a little bit longer but not particularly happy about it. He did grin a little and said, "I'm fairly certain your my senior in every regard, including magickal power. You've cast far greater spells than I ever could."
Anja wrote:"I would claim it is not the desire for power either which corrupt but when power outgrow wisdom. We are mages all of us want to advance and grow which is fine but unless that power is also tapered with the wisdom of knowing when to use it and when not to use it there is the problem. And Mr Yager you are a skilled mage, based on your magick I would not hesitate to fight at your side, my concern when it comes to taking you to a combat mission is your maturity, your insistence the complex world we live in adhere to simplified tropes. You could be as powerful as Jeffry and I would still have that concern, more so in fact."
"Listen kid your Paradigm is fine, but with any Paradigm there is danger of corruption. No one is asking you to shed our sense of wonder, but you can keep that and still grow in maturity. If you want to go on combat missions though we can take you, just as long as you are aware that people die during combat missions, there are no heroes who make every right move and never kill or harm, combat is not grand adventure it is horrible, and bloody and cruel."
"And we have all wanted to protect you from that...from having to kill someone who are just doing their job, someone who have a wife and children waiting for them at home, who is not a bad person, they are simply working for someone who oppose your interests and they would kill you if you did not kill them first...It is not about power kid it is about innocence, which is a precious thing but one which is easy to loose."
He nodded sagely, "Indeed, it isn't the desire for power itself that's the problem, but desiring power without care for the cost, or for who pays it. As for casting greater spells than you ever could - I can't even teleport myself around. At most, I could send a letter, or a cookie tin somewhere unexpected. You, on the other hand, jumped straight into Graftenberg's basement as I waited. Hell, some of my most impressive feats haven't even involved me casting spells at all, just a spot of luck and sheer refusal to quit. And even then... I've had to make sacrifices. Much as I would like to, I cannot save everyone, only soften the blow at best..."

Jeremy wrote:"Yeah if anyone was going to create something like that, it would be the Akashic. They love their dragon iconography." Serge said with a knowing nod, "You know I feel like the realm of magickal foods is wholly unexplored. Although I say that having no idea what some magickal chef in Concordia might have created."
Anja wrote:"Kitchen witchcraft and magickal cooking and food used as a Paradigm, as tools or as vessels for talismans is not uncommon among the Verbena."
Amadeus explained.
He smiled wryly, "Master Haagen could probably give you a three-hour lecture on the topic while preparing a feast... Alchemy has many parallels to cooking to begin with."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Tue May 02, 2023 4:12 am

Anja wrote:"Then young man, how would a magical item know if your deeds are good or bad, when your idea of good could be completely different from the creator of said talisman?"
The little old lady asked raising an eyebrow.

"It would follow whatever it's creator's definition of good and evil was if that's what the creator desired. A person's perception alters their reality after all. And they would place a bit of that reality into their creation. Anyone wielding that magical item would get to experience a small part of the creator's reality. There're are plenty of stories that follow similar trends." Serge said now looking confused as to why the bookstore owner was pushing against his rather mild comment.

Anja wrote:Amadeus turned in the door.
Amadeus replied bluntly.
Colin wrote:Colin nodded to Amadeus, "True enough, you can borrow the combat skills you need, but learning to trust your own skills, and knowing where your current limits are, is going to be important going forward."

"Well I'm not going to argue with that." Serge said nervously. After all, Master Nassa didn't say anything false in that statement. "I can work on both my magick and my confidence. No need to choose one or the other."

Anja wrote:"I would claim it is not the desire for power either which corrupt but when power outgrow wisdom. We are mages all of us want to advance and grow which is fine but unless that power is also tapered with the wisdom of knowing when to use it and when not to use it there is the problem. And Mr Yager you are a skilled mage, based on your magick I would not hesitate to fight at your side, my concern when it comes to taking you to a combat mission is your maturity, your insistence the complex world we live in adhere to simplified tropes. You could be as powerful as Jeffry and I would still have that concern, more so in fact."
Colin wrote:He nodded sagely, "Indeed, it isn't the desire for power itself that's the problem, but desiring power without care for the cost, or for who pays it. As for casting greater spells than you ever could - I can't even teleport myself around. At most, I could send a letter, or a cookie tin somewhere unexpected. You, on the other hand, jumped straight into Graftenberg's basement as I waited. Hell, some of my most impressive feats haven't even involved me casting spells at all, just a spot of luck and sheer refusal to quit. And even then... I've had to make sacrifices. Much as I would like to, I cannot save everyone, only soften the blow at best..."

"You may not be able to save everyone. But you have saved plenty of people. And you have the power to make a difference in this world. I just want the power to do the same." Serge said simply. "But I think that's enough depressing conversation for today. Wouldn't want to ruin the flavor of the tea leaves now would we?"
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Tue May 02, 2023 9:30 am

[Morgan's House]

Anja's Post:

'Think that's the idea, sir. It's why them religious nutjobs target the Planned Parenthood by Wayne [State].' she replied. 'And the cops here won't do anything.' tone slightly incredulous.

[Block being demolished due to it being at 'end of life' (and it shows), so basically I 'need' to be out by the time everyone else is gone. This will be my fourth move as an adult, but I'm seeing it as my first 'real adult move' in the respects I get a real choice in regards to the flat, it (hopefully) will be one worth having, I need to hire movers for my crap etc and I have to make lots of decisions like furniture, decor, carpets etc. Looks like finally I may have got out of the 'boxes in mates car, rando cast-offs and beggars/choosers' period of my life.]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue May 02, 2023 10:25 am

He nodded sagely, "Indeed, it isn't the desire for power itself that's the problem, but desiring power without care for the cost, or for who pays it. As for casting greater spells than you ever could - I can't even teleport myself around. At most, I could send a letter, or a cookie tin somewhere unexpected. You, on the other hand, jumped straight into Graftenberg's basement as I waited. Hell, some of my most impressive feats haven't even involved me casting spells at all, just a spot of luck and sheer refusal to quit. And even then... I've had to make sacrifices. Much as I would like to, I cannot save everyone, only soften the blow at best..."

"Indeed so and I do not have your skill with the mind kid."
Amadeus commented.
"But yes it is power without restraint and when your power become more important than the lives of others that it is a problem, or when it become easy to step on others that temptation might corrupt."
He agreed with a nod.

"Well I'm not going to argue with that." Serge said nervously. After all, Master Nassa didn't say anything false in that statement. "I can work on both my magick and my confidence. No need to choose one or the other."

Amadeus gave an approving nod at that.

He smiled wryly, "Master Haagen could probably give you a three-hour lecture on the topic while preparing a feast... Alchemy has many parallels to cooking to begin with."

"Oh indeed so Mr Wainwright."
The old Verbena agreed.

"It would follow whatever it's creator's definition of good and evil was if that's what the creator desired. A person's perception alters their reality after all. And they would place a bit of that reality into their creation. Anyone wielding that magical item would get to experience a small part of the creator's reality. There're are plenty of stories that follow similar trends." Serge said now looking confused as to why the bookstore owner was pushing against his rather mild comment.

"That makes sense Sir, however any artifact thus imbued would be quite a dangerous affair to pick up, you would have to study the creator in detail then in order to find out if the magical item would hurt you or not for your own ideals."
The old woman said.
"A magical sword made by a die hard conservative Christian for example would be a bad idea to wield for a idealistic young Pagan."

"You may not be able to save everyone. But you have saved plenty of people. And you have the power to make a difference in this world. I just want the power to do the same." Serge said simply. "But I think that's enough depressing conversation for today. Wouldn't want to ruin the flavor of the tea leaves now would we?

"I believe child that you will get far when you realize you already have that power."
Amadeus said.
"But yes let us go, let us see if the tea shop have some coffee as well with Jeffry and Miss Mar we are going to need allot of it, sometimes I see Jeffry as a Pac Man gobbling up cups of coffee."
The old Verbena made the wacka wacka wacka gesture with his hand with a slight grin on his face.

[Morgan's House]

Think that's the idea, sir. It's why them religious nutjobs target the Planned Parenthood by Wayne [State].' she replied. 'And the cops here won't do anything.' tone slightly incredulous.

"Yeah I suspect the Security Council have either been bribed...oh my is this going to explode...where was I...ah yes they have either been bribed or they don't like us...and Zhakery are usually distant and Spence a brilliant scientist but to weak a politician to stand up to the rest."
Baynes said with a sigh then you heard something explode in the background followed by shouting and a fire extinguisher.
"What do you know it was going to explode...imagine that."

(OOC: Sounds like you have your hands full.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Tue May 02, 2023 2:14 pm

Jeremy wrote:"It would follow whatever it's creator's definition of good and evil was if that's what the creator desired. A person's perception alters their reality after all. And they would place a bit of that reality into their creation. Anyone wielding that magical item would get to experience a small part of the creator's reality. There're are plenty of stories that follow similar trends." Serge said now looking confused as to why the bookstore owner was pushing against his rather mild comment.
Anja wrote:"That makes sense Sir, however any artifact thus imbued would be quite a dangerous affair to pick up, you would have to study the creator in detail then in order to find out if the magical item would hurt you or not for your own ideals."
The old woman said.
"A magical sword made by a die hard conservative Christian for example would be a bad idea to wield for a idealistic young Pagan."
Colin frowned, "And even researching the artificer in question might not be enough; someone's public persona might be that of a kindly philanthropist, while they're secretly thoroughly corrupted... Plus, even then, the creator might have made the item to someone else's specifications, with motivations and ideologies not aligning perfectly with the creator's. The pitfalls are quite numerous."

Jeremy wrote:"Well I'm not going to argue with that." Serge said nervously. After all, Master Nassa didn't say anything false in that statement. "I can work on both my magick and my confidence. No need to choose one or the other."
Anja wrote:Amadeus gave an approving nod at that.
He grinned, "It might serve you well to keep pushing the boundaries of what your current power allows - building confidence through learning all the ways you can apply what power you have, rather than losing yourself in the view of the next ledge above you. It's quite impressive what a Mage with a broad repertoire can do next to a very powerful, narrow specialist."

Anja wrote:"Indeed so and I do not have your skill with the mind kid."
Amadeus commented.
"But yes it is power without restraint and when your power become more important than the lives of others that it is a problem, or when it become easy to step on others that temptation might corrupt."
He agreed with a nod.
Jeremy wrote:"You may not be able to save everyone. But you have saved plenty of people. And you have the power to make a difference in this world. I just want the power to do the same." Serge said simply. "But I think that's enough depressing conversation for today. Wouldn't want to ruin the flavor of the tea leaves now would we?"
Anja wrote:"I believe child that you will get far when you realize you already have that power."
Amadeus said.
"But yes let us go, let us see if the tea shop have some coffee as well with Jeffry and Miss Mar we are going to need allot of it, sometimes I see Jeffry as a Pac Man gobbling up cups of coffee."
The old Verbena made the wacka wacka wacka gesture with his hand with a slight grin on his face.
He arched an eyebrow at Serge, "You calmed Kallan today, in ways I might never be able to pull off, and more importantly, there's a Fae knight who'd not be alive now if not for you, specifically. Bringing her back is truly something exceptional, and you've done your Great-grandmentor proud with that, I should think. Remember, Serge, when you feed a hungry kitten, to the world, that's insignificant, but to that kitten, that's the whole world. You don't have to change whole world overnight, it is enough to change one being's world, just for one day at a time, and keep working diligently at it. Eventually, the seeds sown when you fed that kitten will grow, and spread, and change the world for you."

He grinned to Amadeus, "Now, could I dare you to get a picture of that particular image done? See how long until he or Miss Mar get the reference?"

((OOC: Welcome to "adulthood", as it were. It's not all it's cracked up to be, honestly, but getting out from renting to owning your own place is going to be a great step, if you can get it. Good luck with the place hunt.))

Last edited by Warpmind on Tue May 02, 2023 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Meridia Porter Tue May 02, 2023 2:19 pm

[Morgan's House]

"We need a drumroll, hm?" Meridia rests her fingertips on the closest surface, tapping a few times.

[Concordia]

Nicole wrote:A moment's consideration. 'Think death would be preferred, like. That is, if the boredom didn't kill me first.' giving another shudder, expelling a cloud of smoke. 'But why would I want to go backwards?'

"You don't think you'd enjoy being one of those dames, or even one of those not-your-average-lady types?"

"I'd probably enjoy a simpler life, less hassle and rush and demand for attention. More time to focus on my workings and pick up hobbies. More people who hold strong to their faith too, no disrespect intended." She seems strangely wistful for this life that she's never experienced.

"Although, I could find it boring, you never know."

[Hope the move goes well for you! My first move was great, one of the best things I ever did. It was all over really quick for me.

Sorry for the slight delays here, there was a death in the family so everything is very messy at the moment. Everything is fine, just don't want to hold you guys up.]
Meridia Porter
Meridia Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue May 02, 2023 3:42 pm

Colin frowned, "And even researching the artificer in question might not be enough; someone's public persona might be that of a kindly philanthropist, while they're secretly thoroughly corrupted... Plus, even then, the creator might have made the item to someone else's specifications, with motivations and ideologies not aligning perfectly with the creator's. The pitfalls are quite numerous."

The elderly bookseller nodded her agreement to this.

He arched an eyebrow at Serge, "You calmed Kallan today, in ways I might never be able to pull off, and more importantly, there's a Fae knight who'd not be alive now if not for you, specifically. Bringing her back is truly something exceptional, and you've done your Great-grandmentor proud with that, I should think. Remember, Serge, when you feed a hungry kitten, to the world, that's insignificant, but to that kitten, that's the whole world. You don't have to change whole world overnight, it is enough to change one being's world, just for one day at a time, and keep working diligently at it. Eventually, the seeds sown when you fed that kitten will grow, and spread, and change the world for you."

He grinned to Amadeus, "Now, could I dare you to get a picture of that particular image done? See how long until he or Miss Mar get the reference?"

"Now don't tempt me, Jeffry will not get the reference Miss Mar will though."
Amadeus said with a chuckle then he turned towards Serge.
"I have seen you make this complaint before you seam to want to have more vulgar magickal powers, however YOU CAN HAVE THAT!"
The old Verbena said, he was known to have a temper and not always be tactful or pussyfooting around.
"You have chosen, You no one else, to focus on magick which is more subtle, not less powerful more subtle, if you want to cast fireballs study forces, if you want to crow claws and fight with them study Life, you live in a Chantry full of mages chances are someone at Steelhaven can help you with whatever you desire to study, or for that matter learn how to weaponize your current abilities, both Mind and Correspondence can be devastating in the fight. However if you think blowing some shit up is the best way to make a difference then you are just wrong. Some of us who are better in a fight might be sent out to deal with a threat, but after you have used your abilities to gather the information we need from a enemy's mind, or you have managed to calm a wounded ally so they are able to talk to us, or you can feel the minds in a place and find there are more minds than life so we are forewarned there are vampires in the building. The list go on and on and on. Yes currently you are better at support than blowing shit up, why do you think that support is not important or for that matter why do you complain rather than doing something with it if said blowing shit up is really what you desire?"
The old mage said angrily then his expression softened.
"You like fiction yes? Have you seen the show Charmed, Beatrice used to love it in her teens, one of the characters there Phoebe see the future, she is the best of the sisters at making potions and writing spells and all in all she support their efforts and they would not be able to fight without her but she regret that she do not have an active power so she gather information while her sisters can stop time or move things with their minds. Much of the later seasons are about Phoebe learning that her powers is just as important and powerful as that of her sisters."
He said.

Behind the counter the little old lady said softly.
"I would ask you Sir to restrict the amount of swearing in my store."
Amadeus gave a bow to her.
"Terribly sorry Ma'am please forgive me."

(OOC: I am sorry for your loss. Please do not worry about the game and take care of yourself. It will still be here when things have calmed down.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 31  Next