Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60

4 posters

Page 14 of 31 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22 ... 31  Next

Go down

The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60 - Page 14 Empty Re: The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60

Post by Nicole Bouchard Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:41 pm

(Concordia)

Spoiler:

'Why? My POV; lots of effort for something I ain't been told to do for a place I ain't gonna be there for long.' lighting a cigarette and giving her "can't be bothered" shrug.

Spoiler:

'Same can be said other way about, mon - is it real personality and shit or just a well-programmed simulation of one?'

(Posting from crap phone with limited time. Will do as much as I can, when I can.)
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60 - Page 14 Empty Re: The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60

Post by Nicole Bouchard Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:12 pm

(Electricals Store)

Spoiler:

'Dunno, what happened in yours?' she quipped with a smile, the warmth of which died off the moment it reached Colin.

Spoiler:

'He's his own free person and don't know what he needs to be at.' Nicole replied crisply. 'And the Pi is with Admiral Hastings, I assume.'

(It's Carlos Rodriguez btw.)
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:37 pm

[TimeStop Laboratories.]

Anja wrote:"I do not have such things in stock but it can be made but to create a mind that is pretty advanced so it will be quite expensive...now are you planning on buying anything or just asking me about allot of random stuff, the products we sell are on the shelves please feel free to browse and ask me questions about what we have in stock and if you want custom Science items made to to an artificer."
The clerk said with a sigh.

"Oh....sure thing. Don't let me take up more of your time. I'll explore on my own." Serge said sheepishly.

Nicole wrote:'Dunno, what happened in yours?' she quipped with a smile, the warmth of which died off the moment it reached Colin.

"An intense conversation with some bad guys that were...not overly helpful. At least from my perspective. Was an interesting conversation though." Serge said returning Nicole's smile with one of his own, "How about you? Anything interesting happen on your end?"
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:54 pm

(Concordia)

'Why? My POV; lots of effort for something I ain't been told to do for a place I ain't gonna be there for long.' lighting a cigarette and giving her "can't be bothered" shrug.

"And when the Union come for your Chantry and it do not have every advantage it could have had and you end up dead what then? I mean your choice but if you really feel that your Chantry is not even worth mentioning an idea then perhaps it is best for both you and it to pack your bags right now, because we are at war and need to cooperate."
Carlos said raising an eyebrow.

Same can be said other way about, mon - is it real personality and shit or just a well-programmed simulation of one?'

"The have as much minds as you and I since we can actually measure a mind using Science and their register. Now we could go into a long philosophical debate on what the actual nature of consciousness are and whatever or not anyone are truly concious or just a product of our instrict and enviroment but that is another matter. I also find it a bit strange that you live in a world that can bring people back from the dead or create well this whole world, the sky the ground everything, and where experts int he field say yes these contructs are sentient and yet you refuse to believe it. That is not reason that is ignoring evidence to further your own ideas and it make me wonder why?"
The other Etherite asked raising another eyebrow.

'He's his own free person and don't know what he needs to be at.' Nicole replied crisply. 'And the Pi is with Admiral Hastings, I assume.'

"I can have a talk with Mr Wainwright, I only have a thing I need to do in...oh..."
He checks his watch.
"I am helping out with a presentation in 45 minutes. I am free until then. But yeah ti was great catching up with you Nick, we should talk more when you are free.

"Oh....sure thing. Don't let me take up more of your time. I'll explore on my own." Serge said sheepishly.

The clerk just nodded at that.

(OOC: Thanks updating my notes with his name.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:55 am

[TimeStop Laboratories.]
Anja wrote:"Hopefully it will all go well, but I mean likely he will be branded right and branding I hear really hurt."
Anna muttered and you heard her shudder.
"How are Miss Alexander holding up? It is her re sentencing right? That must be scary."
Colin nodded, "It won't be in any way pleasant or stress-free, but... they will get through it. There are still a few bits of work to be done to relieve misery, but for now, they're fine."

Nicole wrote:'He's his own free person and don't know what he needs to be at.' Nicole replied crisply. 'And the Pi is with Admiral Hastings, I assume.'
Anja wrote:"I can have a talk with Mr Wainwright, I only have a thing I need to do in...oh..."
He checks his watch.
"I am helping out with a presentation in 45 minutes. I am free until then. But yeah ti was great catching up with you Nick, we should talk more when you are free.
He nodded, "Very good, Mr. Rodriguez, I won't require that much of your time, I'm sure. And my apologies for imposing on you like this."

Anja wrote:"Very well, if we enter the conference we can see if we find an unused room there to talk Mr Wainwright."
Carlos said though he raised an eyebrow to show he thought the whole situation was rather strange.
He glanced at the clerk, "I suppose I should purchase a pass first, though. One moment?"
Nodding to the clerk, he continued, "One day pass to the conference, please."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:00 am

[TimeStop Laboratories.]

Colin nodded, "It won't be in any way pleasant or stress-free, but... they will get through it. There are still a few bits of work to be done to relieve misery, but for now, they're fine."

"It just feel so unfair they have not done anything wrong."
Anna muttered.
"So putting them through this just feel wrong."

He nodded, "Very good, Mr. Rodriguez, I won't require that much of your time, I'm sure. And my apologies for imposing on you like this."

"Well I have free time right now so not a problem at all."
Carlos said with a warm smile.

He glanced at the clerk, "I suppose I should purchase a pass first, though. One moment?"
Nodding to the clerk, he continued, "One day pass to the conference, please."

"Very well fifteen dollar paid in earth currency or Nerids your choice."
The clerk said.
"I can just send the ticket to your phone if you wish?"
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:33 pm

[Concordia]

Anja's Post:

And a pair of rolled eyes were the response. 'Were you not listening in the last half-hour? They see no real need to change and they're all about the 'respect the chain 'o command' shit and I'm at the bottom. Plus, I'm tired of being shit on by seagulls for my troubles, me. Just gonna keep my head down, work out my notice and then go. And I'm a soldier, mon - whatever main choice I make, people die. Is there a grave in Groton which is there 'cos I was not there last month to defend them? Will you be in a grave in the D next month 'cos I wasn't there to defend you 'cos I'd gone to Boston back in the fall?' shaking her head and taking a drag of her cigarette.

'I will do my job until the moment I hand the keys back; you know that.'

Anja's Post:

'An answer which don't apply to the robot in question as it ain't here to actually test. Plus, what I heard like, real AIs cost a bomb and so not likely to be used as a dogsbody on a small scouting ship.'

[Electronics Store]

Serge's Post:

'Not really. Just had some lunch, had a poke 'bout the captured ship again. Oh, you eaten yet?' giving a little bit of a smirk.

Anja's Post:

'Wait, is that Baynes' one? Though that weren't 'till tomorrow morning...' starting to check her pockets, then realised she'd left the conference folder back as same conference when she'd gone after the spy.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:32 pm

[Concordia]

And a pair of rolled eyes were the response. 'Were you not listening in the last half-hour? They see no real need to change and they're all about the 'respect the chain 'o command' shit and I'm at the bottom. Plus, I'm tired of being shit on by seagulls for my troubles, me. Just gonna keep my head down, work out my notice and then go. And I'm a soldier, mon - whatever main choice I make, people die. Is there a grave in Groton which is there 'cos I was not there last month to defend them? Will you be in a grave in the D next month 'cos I wasn't there to defend you 'cos I'd gone to Boston back in the fall?' shaking her head and taking a drag of her cigarette.

'I will do my job until the moment I hand the keys back; you know that.'

"I have been listening Nick and sorry but your argument here make no sense. No one can save everyone and other than some really impressive magick or Science bullshit no one can be everywhere at once but to use that as an excuse to not try to do as much as you can when your own hide is also on the line seam a poor argument. Like I said I can not comment on your situation in your Chantry I do not know them but since we are all on the same side of this war, your fellow soldiers deserve better than malicious compliance. The Nephandi and the Union want us all dead, I get it there are personal conflicts, maybe your leadership is unfair but the only reason we are not all already dead is the safety in number that being a part of a Chantry bring. But you do you. I am just saying that if I was a member of a Chantry where I found out a member had decided to do what you are doing here I would be pretty pissed."
Carlos replied.
"Sometimes if you can not find a way to actually work with your Chantrymates it is better to leave. And I know you will do your job but it sound to me like you are finding the narrowest possible passage to define as your job and are not going beyond that, even when doing so would help your Chantry and in my opinion in a life or death situation that do not really work."

An answer which don't apply to the robot in question as it ain't here to actually test. Plus, what I heard like, real AIs cost a bomb and so not likely to be used as a dogsbody on a small scouting ship.'

"It really depend on how you make them. If you make a mind from scratch that is extremely complicated but if you for example copy a mind and then set it to learn you can get a functional, sentient mind with allot less effort."
The other Etherite replied.

[Electronics Store]

'Wait, is that Baynes' one? Though that weren't 'till tomorrow morning...' starting to check her pockets, then realised she'd left the conference folder back as same conference when she'd gone after the spy.

"No it is Maggie's presentation of artificial eyes. I promised her I would help out."
Carlos said mentioning Margaret Turelle another member of your old Chantry.
"I am presenting the programming and basically software the eyes run on while Maggie is dealing with the hard and wetweare."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:14 pm

[Electronics Store]

Nicole wrote:'Not really. Just had some lunch, had a poke 'bout the captured ship again. Oh, you eaten yet?' giving a little bit of a smirk.

"Nah, who has time for food when there's magick to be explored! I bet you that conference a couple feet away from us has a device that lets you eat air for nutritional value or something like that." Serge said excitedly, "Any interesting parts in the captured ship? Didn't really think about it before but those ships have to be loaded with cool scifi stuff right?"
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:38 am

[Electronics Store]

"Nah, who has time for food when there's magick to be explored! I bet you that conference a couple feet away from us has a device that lets you eat air for nutritional value or something like that." Serge said excitedly, "Any interesting parts in the captured ship? Didn't really think about it before but those ships have to be loaded with cool scifi stuff right?"

"Well you know kid it is a cybernetics conference not a event for different kinds of tech but you might find something of interest non the less."
Carlos said glancing over at Serge.
"And yes the ship is fascinating it is a computer controlled explorer vessel with a built in lab and based on a construct helping out with ship functions and piloting. The ship are coft effective and yet capable of limited Deep Umbra travel, most fascinating."
The large Etherite said with a grin. Then he held out his hand to Serge.
"I am Carlos, nice to meet you kid."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:53 pm

[TimeStop Laboratories.]
Anja wrote:"It just feel so unfair they have not done anything wrong."
Anna muttered.
"So putting them through this just feel wrong."
Colin frowned, "It is rather unfair... but with the current legislation, it's necessary. Hopefully, they'll help make things less awful for the next generation, as it were, but centuries of stagnant doctrine is hard to shift..."

Nicole wrote:'Wait, is that Baynes' one? Though that weren't 'till tomorrow morning...' starting to check her pockets, then realised she'd left the conference folder back as same conference when she'd gone after the spy.
Anja wrote:"No it is Maggie's presentation of artificial eyes. I promised her I would help out."
Carlos said mentioning Margaret Turelle another member of your old Chantry.
"I am presenting the programming and basically software the eyes run on while Maggie is dealing with the hard and wetweare."
Colin stiffened slightly at the mention of the name, then smoothed out his suit subconciously, "Ah, are they quite what we saw in The Six Million Dollar Man, or do they still lack a few features from that show?"

Anja wrote:"Well I have free time right now so not a problem at all."
Carlos said with a warm smile.
He nodded, "Splendid."

Anja wrote:"Very well fifteen dollar paid in earth currency or Nerids your choice."
The clerk said.
"I can just send the ticket to your phone if you wish?"
He smiled, flashing his phone number as he handed over the cash, "Capital. Looking forward to seeing the marvels of cutting-edge Science. Though I hope I shan't need it any time soon."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:21 pm

[Concordia]

Anja's Post:

'No, no and no.' Nicole replied. 'One, I am a professional and so will do my jobs with care and skill - if nothing else, I've got a rep to keep. Two, yes they deserve better but that ain't my responsibility - take it up with their bosses, not the grunt. Thirdly, Steelhaven as-is ain't gonna use me to my fullest - so for the greater good perhaps it is right I find a different place where they will.'

Anja's Post:

Nicole considered this for a moment, then shook her head. 'Nah, if AIs were cheap we'd be seeing loads of soldier ones being thrown at our bases by the Union. You know how long they're been looking for cheap fodder so they can simply overwhelm everything.'

[Electronics Shop]

Serge's Post:

'Well, as promised... a tube of Slime. Union Slime, in fact. Enjoy.' she replied, smirk still visible as she fished out the nutrition-paste from her pocket and proffering the tube to Serge.

Anja's Post:

'Mumph. Still on my shit-list after finding out she'd tried to strongarm Baynes into doing my eyes, she is.' Nicole replied sourly; her being one of the Scientists who'd wanted to stuff her body with cybernetics after her accident. 'Still need to book a slot for Hadermann's report and yeah, return the gun.'

[I'll point out that nobody is actually at the TimeStop Labs yet.]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:49 pm

[Concordia]

No, no and no.' Nicole replied. 'One, I am a professional and so will do my jobs with care and skill - if nothing else, I've got a rep to keep. Two, yes they deserve better but that ain't my responsibility - take it up with their bosses, not the grunt. Thirdly, Steelhaven as-is ain't gonna use me to my fullest - so for the greater good perhaps it is right I find a different place where they will.'

"First of all Yes you are a skilled professional however should not actually offering ideas for improvements be part of that job?"
Carlos said raising one plump finger on his right hand and joining it with another.
"Yes they are your responsibility they are your Chantry that is the very definition of your responsibility which is my point here."
He then raised a third finger.
"Also my point precicely, not all places will fit everyone, if Steelhaven is not a place where you can fully cooperate with the others living there perhaps it is not the place for you and your Chantrymates should be told this."

Nicole considered this for a moment, then shook her head. 'Nah, if AIs were cheap we'd be seeing loads of soldier ones being thrown at our bases by the Union. You know how long they're been looking for cheap fodder so they can simply overwhelm everything.'

"Our Tradition do not do allot of that but the Hermetics and several others do, especially the Adepts who make AIs for virtual attacks, however many find using a sentient being as fodder ethically wrong, while not illegal so no it would not take of. Sorry Nick but this is actually my field and while I can not by myself make a AI yet I have taken part in making them and they if made for it become fully sentient, living beings."
Carlos replied firmly.

[TimeStop Laboratories.]

Colin frowned, "It is rather unfair... but with the current legislation, it's necessary. Hopefully, they'll help make things less awful for the next generation, as it were, but centuries of stagnant doctrine is hard to shift..."

"Likely those old doctrines will last until enough members of the Traditions raise up and say enough is enough."
Anna muttered bitterly.

Colin stiffened slightly at the mention of the name, then smoothed out his suit subconciously, "Ah, are they quite what we saw in The Six Million Dollar Man, or do they still lack a few features from that show?"

"I mean I guess custom eyes could be made to fit the capabilities of some old series but we do not generally not have copying old shows as a goal."
"But we can make eyes far more advanced than the one in the series if that is what someone desire."

He nodded, "Splendid."

"If you will follow me then Mr Wainwright?"
Carlos said and he made for the back room.

He smiled, flashing his phone number as he handed over the cash, "Capital. Looking forward to seeing the marvels of cutting-edge Science. Though I hope I shan't need it any time soon."

"I mean not all of the new tech require them to be operated into a person nor replace healthy parts but yeah thank you here is your ticket."
The clerk said and your phone gave a happy chime.

Mumph. Still on my shit-list after finding out she'd tried to strongarm Baynes into doing my eyes, she is.' Nicole replied sourly; her being one of the Scientists who'd wanted to stuff her body with cybernetics after her accident. 'Still need to book a slot for Hadermann's report and yeah, return the gun.'

"Yeah Maggie did not stand first in line when ethics was handed out."
Carlos said with a chuckle.
"But I owe her a favor and promised to help.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:43 am

[Electronics Shop]
Anja wrote:"Likely those old doctrines will last until enough members of the Traditions raise up and say enough is enough."
Anna muttered bitterly.
Colin grinned, "And I look forward to the speeches you'll deliver to the Nine, in the fullness of time, Sweetie. Change is happening, but it is a little slow with certain... current individuals in position."

Anja wrote:"I mean I guess custom eyes could be made to fit the capabilities of some old series but we do not generally not have copying old shows as a goal."
"But we can make eyes far more advanced than the one in the series if that is what someone desire."
He nodded, "Of course, I was thinking in terms of comparison, not a mere carbon copy - a twenty to one zoom function and an infrared filter? I'd surmise the zoom might be the trickier of the two, given the physical space restrictions, unless you're inviting Paradox..."

Nicole wrote:'Mumph. Still on my shit-list after finding out she'd tried to strongarm Baynes into doing my eyes, she is.' Nicole replied sourly; her being one of the Scientists who'd wanted to stuff her body with cybernetics after her accident. 'Still need to book a slot for Hadermann's report and yeah, return the gun.'
Anja wrote:"Yeah Maggie did not stand first in line when ethics was handed out."
Carlos said with a chuckle.
"But I owe her a favor and promised to help.
He arched an eyebrow, "How odd, I knew a Maggie who was somewhat ethically defunct, too... she's dead, now, though, but she was one of the people who tempted me to prepare to leave the UK for America, even before I joined the military. I gather yours is quite skilled at what she does, though?"

Anja wrote:"I mean not all of the new tech require them to be operated into a person nor replace healthy parts but yeah thank you here is your ticket."
The clerk said and your phone gave a happy chime.
He nodded, "I rather thought cybernetics or bionics by their very nature necessitated some machine-tissue connection? At any rate, I'm not opposed to technological enhancements, I just hope not to be in a situation where I need replacements. Tends to imply something unpleasant happened again, you know..."

Anja wrote:"If you will follow me then Mr Wainwright?"
Carlos said and he made for the back room.
He nodded, looking at the pass on his phone to look at the terms and conditions, in case there was something peculiar to be wary of, "Coming, Mr. Rodriguez."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:28 pm

[Electronics Shop]

Colin grinned, "And I look forward to the speeches you'll deliver to the Nine, in the fullness of time, Sweetie. Change is happening, but it is a little slow with certain... current individuals in position."

"I know you say I will deliver such speeches dad but I am not so sure but what I know is that we can not continue to live under medieval laws and punishments forever."
Anna muttered you could hear her frown.

He nodded, "Of course, I was thinking in terms of comparison, not a mere carbon copy - a twenty to one zoom function and an infrared filter? I'd surmise the zoom might be the trickier of the two, given the physical space restrictions, unless you're inviting Paradox..."

"You are inviting Dox anyway, sleeper cybernetics are getting there but are fairly primitive but yes full spectrum vision, zoom plus options to add functions to see into the Umbra, see entities, see life Patterns and so on.."
Carlos replied.

He arched an eyebrow, "How odd, I knew a Maggie who was somewhat ethically defunct, too... she's dead, now, though, but she was one of the people who tempted me to prepare to leave the UK for America, even before I joined the military. I gather yours is quite skilled at what she does, though?"

"Skilled yes, but let us just say that her Mentor was on the wrong side during World War 2 and she have a moral world view to match."
The Etherite said with the frown.
"She is a Chantrymate though and this presentation are innocent enough."

He nodded, "I rather thought cybernetics or bionics by their very nature necessitated some machine-tissue connection? At any rate, I'm not opposed to technological enhancements, I just hope not to be in a situation where I need replacements. Tends to imply something unpleasant happened again, you know..."

"For them to be full on cybernetics sure but that do not mean the same tech is not made in less permanent versions as well."
The Clerk said.
"And it is related technology."

He nodded, looking at the pass on his phone to look at the terms and conditions, in case there was something peculiar to be wary of, "Coming, Mr. Rodriguez."

No it was just a ticket that gave you free access to the conference and all open talks for the rest of the day. Carlos led the way into a room that had a rather home made looking teleportation pad it looked like a simple version of the Star Trek transporters. Carlos stepped onto the pad and waited for the clerk to send him to the conference then the clerk looked up from the control panel and looked at Colin.
"Your turn Sir."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:40 pm

[Electronics Shop]
Anja wrote:"I know you say I will deliver such speeches dad but I am not so sure but what I know is that we can not continue to live under medieval laws and punishments forever."
Anna muttered you could hear her frown.
Colin smiled, "I will help pave the road for you, but you will have more time to change things than I do, I think. If nothing else, by virtue of getting an earlier start."

Anja wrote:"You are inviting Dox anyway, sleeper cybernetics are getting there but are fairly primitive but yes full spectrum vision, zoom plus options to add functions to see into the Umbra, see entities, see life Patterns and so on.."
Carlos replied.
He nodded, "Well, I suppose the extent of Dox is the question - how much you can get away with? Nevertheless, it is an impressive and fascinating technology."

Anja wrote:"Skilled yes, but let us just say that her Mentor was on the wrong side during World War 2 and she have a moral world view to match."
The Etherite said with the frown.
"She is a Chantrymate though and this presentation are innocent enough."
He nodded thoughtfully, "Ah, I know a few people whose Mentors were... morally questionable. Or outright monstrous. Some have turned out quite decent, all the same, but there's certainly a... range of outcomes."

Anja wrote:"For them to be full on cybernetics sure but that do not mean the same tech is not made in less permanent versions as well."
The Clerk said.
"And it is related technology."
He nodded, "I guess something like a robotic exoskeleton would also qualify, an entirely external frame that allows a paraplegic to walk again, for example, using manual controls..."

Anja wrote:No it was just a ticket that gave you free access to the conference and all open talks for the rest of the day. Carlos led the way into a room that had a rather home made looking teleportation pad it looked like a simple version of the Star Trek transporters. Carlos stepped onto the pad and waited for the clerk to send him to the conference then the clerk looked up from the control panel and looked at Colin.
"Your turn Sir."
He grinned at the sight, stepping onto the pad, "Ah, the classic design... well, can't be as horrifying as some other methods of rapid transportation I've experienced... I trust there won't be a transporter accident to split me into a good and evil Kirk?"
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:04 pm

[Concordia]

Anja's Post:

'If asked, I will mention it. This ain't a "life or limb" issue so I won't force it.' giving a shrug.

Anja's Post:

'If you want me to take responsibility, give me the damn authority to do the job and most importantly, have my fucking back.' she retorted.

Anja's Post:

'Define "fully cooperate". I will do my job with due care and skill, not being some moron who hides in being technically correct and shit - can't afford it, 'cos who would hire me for security later if I did that?'

Anja's Post:

A sigh. 'Ignoring the point, mon. I ain't saying you can't make sentient beings, I am saying most robots and programmes are not sentient. Plus, I ain't stupid; know a lot of "sentient robots" often turn out to be brains in jars, a "personality suite" installed in the factory or a dimensional being who's using the frame to experience our dimension.' giving a little shrug. 'I might not know much 'bout how they are made, but I do know strategy - that if it comes to a mission with a fair chance of destruction, I'd perfer to use the quick-and-cheap drone rather than the slow-and-expensive sentient-controlled plane.'

[Purely OOC, I could see Iteration X agreeing with Nick; and that they've made by c2015 a 'Mark-VII' - a cheap/cheerful V frame with a bit of ceramic cladding and some basic 'soldier/security' programming. Imagine similar to the 'LOKI mechs' on Mass Effect.]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:54 pm

[Electronics Shop]

Colin smiled, "I will help pave the road for you, but you will have more time to change things than I do, I think. If nothing else, by virtue of getting an earlier start."

"I will do what I can dad however please do remember that the most of us do not live our lives with what will happen, we live with what we know right here and know."
Anna said with a sigh.

He nodded, "Well, I suppose the extent of Dox is the question - how much you can get away with? Nevertheless, it is an impressive and fascinating technology."

"This will not be about how to best hide such tech among sleepers, we are on Horizon Sir."
Carlos said simply.

He nodded thoughtfully, "Ah, I know a few people whose Mentors were... morally questionable. Or outright monstrous. Some have turned out quite decent, all the same, but there's certainly a... range of outcomes."

"The sins of the father and all that but yes we all have free will and not everyone will be morally questionable even if their teacher or parent it but it certainly can be a negative influence."
Carlos replied.

He nodded, "I guess something like a robotic exoskeleton would also qualify, an entirely external frame that allows a paraplegic to walk again, for example, using manual controls..."

"Yeah but also other less dramatic wearable tech that just enchange human ability."
The clerk said.
"It might not be cybernetics but it is related tech."

He grinned at the sight, stepping onto the pad, "Ah, the classic design... well, can't be as horrifying as some other methods of rapid transportation I've experienced... I trust there won't be a transporter accident to split me into a good and evil Kirk?"

"I don't know, you better count your nuts when you get there."
The clerk said before he hit the switch and you where in a large entrance room. Carlos was waiting enarby and a smilign young woman approached.
"Hello welcome do you have a ticked Sir?"

(OOC: Dinner is done will reply more later.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:15 pm

[Concordia]

'If asked, I will mention it. This ain't a "life or limb" issue so I won't force it.' giving a shrug.

"The thing is though Nick it is, what resources a Chantry is is a life or limb issue which is why it is important that Chantry members actually work together."
Carlos said with a sigh.

'If you want me to take responsibility, give me the damn authority to do the job and most importantly, have my fucking back.' she retorted.

Carlos raised an eyebrow again.
"I know you have personal conflicts with member of your Chantry and that it might not be a good fit for you but have they ever left you to be killed by the Union or the Nephandi or ever actually betrayed you for if so why are you where. Also I know old fashioned author structures can be frustrating but that is not the point here the point is if you are not actually doing your best because you dislike how your Chantry are run you are the one not having your Chantrymates back, that is not saying your are wrong to not feel at home at Steelhaven Hall, I ma saying that we survive due to cooperation, and if you live at a Chantry and do not mention good ideas and just stick to your idea of the letter of your job doing malicious compliance that is something that can cost you and your Chantrymates their lives. We can disagree with the leadership and often I do, but unless we actually work together are will be doing the Union's job for them."

'Define "fully cooperate". I will do my job with due care and skill, not being some moron who hides in being technically correct and shit - can't afford it, 'cos who would hire me for security later if I did that?'

"Things I would say is not fully cooperating is things like not mentioning a good idea that can help the Chantry and refusing to go in any way beyond the letter of your job. I know you will do the letter of the job with the care and skill of a professional that is not the point. Like what we have mentioned here, ideas about the shuttle you will not mention since doing so is not your job by the letter that is not fully cooperating. Your Chantry is not a job where you dislike the leadership so you do your job to the letter and nothing beyond, your Chantry is a unit in a society that need that unit to actually survive."
The other Etherite said.
"And yes that mean at times you just can not work with a given unit, but and I mean this with all due respect, malicious compliance to show up the leaders you disagree with is not considerations the other Chantry members, Custos and other lives that depend on every member of the Chantry. I mean the reason we have not all been killed by the Pogrom is that taking down a Chantry full of mages will create so much noise it will shatter the illusions the Union want the Sleepers to believe in. It is a safety in numbers things."

A sigh. 'Ignoring the point, mon. I ain't saying you can't make sentient beings, I am saying most robots and programmes are not sentient. Plus, I ain't stupid; know a lot of "sentient robots" often turn out to be brains in jars, a "personality suite" installed in the factory or a dimensional being who's using the frame to experience our dimension.' giving a little shrug. 'I might not know much 'bout how they are made, but I do know strategy - that if it comes to a mission with a fair chance of destruction, I'd perfer to use the quick-and-cheap drone rather than the slow-and-expensive sentient-controlled plane.'

"I am not protesting that Nick, most robots you encounter is not sentient, however is that an argument that the pilot of this ship is not sentient? From what little I have heard he certainly believe he is and from what functions he have not he ship he is quite advanced, from what I have seen of the robot pilot's tasks he is not a cheap drone so if he claim sentience I would think it is pretty likely he is indeed sentient. Remember I never claimed all robots are sentient and that quick and cheap robots are not made but that from what little I ahve seen this being, Arland, the pilot's name, seam to be a person."
The other Etherite replied.

(OOC: Well the thing is Arland is actually sentient and sentient constructs are not rare, so Carlos is just a bit confused over Nicole looking to find any other explination or flat out refusing to accept all evidence that say he is entient. He is like ok we are on a realm with two suns and dragons but a sentient robot is to much for you to accept?)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:03 pm

[Electronics Store]

Anja wrote:"Well you know kid it is a cybernetics conference not a event for different kinds of tech but you might find something of interest non the less."
Carlos said glancing over at Serge.
"And yes the ship is fascinating it is a computer controlled explorer vessel with a built in lab and based on a construct helping out with ship functions and piloting. The ship are coft effective and yet capable of limited Deep Umbra travel, most fascinating."
The large Etherite said with a grin. Then he held out his hand to Serge.
"I am Carlos, nice to meet you kid."

"Nice to meet you as well. My name's Serge." Serge said shaking Carlos's hand.

Nicole wrote:'Well, as promised... a tube of Slime. Union Slime, in fact. Enjoy.' she replied, smirk still visible as she fished out the nutrition-paste from her pocket and proffering the tube to Serge.

"Aaaaah that's PERFECT! Thanks Nick!" Serge said excitedly taking the tube. "In this tube is countless hours saved. Instead of wasting time heating, preparing, or chewing food I can just rub myself with this slime....or eat it. It's the second one isn't it?"
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:05 am

[Electronics Store]

"Nice to meet you as well. My name's Serge." Serge said shaking Carlos's hand.

"Serge? Oh are you the apprentice of one of the Deacons of Westchapel Master Angelica Boudavich? She mentioned she had a apprentice named Serge and it is not that common a name."
Carlos said as he shook the young Cultist hand in his big, meaty paw.
"I met her a few years ago when she did consulting work on a project I was a part of. Nice lady if that is your Mentor, how is she doing these days?"
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:13 am

[Electronics Shop]
Anja wrote:"I will do what I can dad however please do remember that the most of us do not live our lives with what will happen, we live with what we know right here and know."
Anna said with a sigh.
Colin smiled wryly, "True enough, but I don't have a step-by-step guide to the future, just a few highlighted points and a vague gesture in the right direction... It is enough to motivate me, and do what I can to help."

Anja wrote:"This will not be about how to best hide such tech among sleepers, we are on Horizon Sir."
Carlos said simply.
He arched an eyebrow, "And recipients of such never go Earthside? I'd think that would be a relevant concern, even here."

Anja wrote:"The sins of the father and all that but yes we all have free will and not everyone will be morally questionable even if their teacher or parent it but it certainly can be a negative influence."
Carlos replied.
He nodded, "Can be. Fortunately, most accept moral guidance from more than one source, and some see the light long after most would expect they no longer could."

Anja wrote:"Yeah but also other less dramatic wearable tech that just enchange human ability."
The clerk said.
"It might not be cybernetics but it is related tech."
He thought for a moment, "Ah, like that new Apple Watch, even? Built-in heart rate monitor, that sort of thing?"

Anja wrote:"I don't know, you better count your nuts when you get there."
The clerk said before he hit the switch and you where in a large entrance room. Carlos was waiting enarby and a smilign young woman approached.
"Hello welcome do you have a ticked Sir?"
He smiled and held up his phone, chuckling softly, "I do. The clerk who sent me in recommended I count... bits on arrival; has anyone actually reported missing pieces from teleportation yet?"
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:35 pm

[Electronics Shop]

Colin smiled wryly, "True enough, but I don't have a step-by-step guide to the future, just a few highlighted points and a vague gesture in the right direction... It is enough to motivate me, and do what I can to help."

"I mean that is great dad and I know that for important things that save allot of lives having such insight is important but I would rather shape my own future than to have it dictated to me by visions."
Anna replied firmly.

He arched an eyebrow, "And recipients of such never go Earthside? I'd think that would be a relevant concern, even here."

"And in most cases the cybernetics look perfectly normal, if someone decide to show off that is on them."
Carlos replied.

He nodded, "Can be. Fortunately, most accept moral guidance from more than one source, and some see the light long after most would expect they no longer could."

"I guess that is why Maggie feel everyone are good test subjects and not just members of a given race, she looks down on everyone equally."
Carlos said wryly.

He thought for a moment, "Ah, like that new Apple Watch, even? Built-in heart rate monitor, that sort of thing?"

"Yeah or you know like a belt that let you mount a mind controlled laser gun in your undies the sky is the limit."
The Clerk said wryly.
"I know a couple of augmented reality glasses are shown that will allow you to see full spectrum and also record video and see spirits, minds and life are being demonstrated, I want a pair but damn they cost, to rich for me."
He said with a chuckle.
"I still would like to catch the presentation though, perhaps get a chance to try them out."

He smiled and held up his phone, chuckling softly, "I do. The clerk who sent me in recommended I count... bits on arrival; has anyone actually reported missing pieces from teleportation yet?"

"No not actual bits and bobs."
The girl said as she handed you a goodie bag with the logo of the conference on it.
"But one lady's copper hair sticks got teleported into the candy shop two doors down, ended up nailing a twinkie to the wall."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:53 pm

[Concordia]

Anja's Post:

'I've been shit on from above by real "life and limb" issues so... nah.' ending with a shrug.

Anja's Post:

A moment's silence, then a sigh. 'Carlos, what a load of fucking BS. This ain't a binary choice; "malicious compliance" or "give your every bit of being", y'know. Just doing your job well and then leaving it at that ain't malicious compliance; that's a sane reaction to not letting work suck you dry or become a brain tumour. What's more, this ain't an issue of "oh, Nick don't like some people"; you are talking out of your ass from some shitty management manual, the same which is why I got subjected to teambuilding crap - which suggests that everything can be cured by a cookout and pretending to be a tree. Teambuilding days don't correct shitty managment, it don't correct evidence of being unsupported and it don't correct it being all about them and their goals and not yours.' tone firm but friendly enough.

'Did folks bitch at the A-Team that they normally did their shit simply 'cos they were getting paid for it? Did Obi-Wan and Luke screw at Han Solo that he was only outrunning a Star Destroyer cos he needed the green... or whatever money is on Star Wars?' she continued, her flow cut off for a moment. 'I will do my job until I get a better offer. If my bosses don't know how to use my skillset to the fullest, well that's their issue, not mine. Anyway, you're forgetting something important; the Chantry is under-strength and no, there is not a "better" Nick out there to insantly replace me if I walked.'

Anja's Post:

'As the robot in question ain't here, this cannot be proven either way. All I am arguing that I know proper synthetic sentience is very expensive and if I was a Union officer, wouldn't put one on a small exploration ship. That is unless the "exploring" part was of critical importance to the Union. Which I suspect we'd find out after cracking their systems and looking at the logs ecetra.'

[Electrionics Store]

Serge's Post:

'Erm, yeah. You eat it. Lovely.' she replied weakly, knowing how poor the experience was. 'Wait, where's he gone. Buying your ticket or something?' giving a frown, wondering where Colin had vanished to.

[Because Carlos is coming to a conclusion re: Arland with no actual evidence (at least, no IC evidence). She is following the 'devils advocate' method of discussion, painting a different conclusion with what facts/assumptions etc are available to her. To argue "we are on a realm with two suns and dragons" > "therefore, Arland must be sentient" is a total logical disconnect. She doesn't argue that sentient robots don't exist, merely there's no evidence that Arland is one save Arland itself saying so, which she retorted could have been a pre-programmed response. And I think the Concordia bit of the scene has gone on long enough.]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:24 am

[Electronics Store]

Anja wrote:"Serge? Oh are you the apprentice of one of the Deacons of Westchapel Master Angelica Boudavich? She mentioned she had a apprentice named Serge and it is not that common a name."
Carlos said as he shook the young Cultist hand in his big, meaty paw.
"I met her a few years ago when she did consulting work on a project I was a part of. Nice lady if that is your Mentor, how is she doing these days?"

"Yeah that's me. Glad to know that people still remember my Mentor." Serge said sighing a little as he remembered her, "She's doing well given the circumstances. You've probably heard of all the stuff that's happened in Boston recently. She was injured during one of those incidents. Thankfully she's pulled through and is recovering nicely."

Nicole wrote:'Erm, yeah. You eat it. Lovely.' she replied weakly, knowing how poor the experience was. 'Wait, where's he gone. Buying your ticket or something?' giving a frown, wondering where Colin had vanished to.

"All right. Let's see how it tastes." Serge said opening the tube and spraying a bit of the nutrition paste into his mouth like a cartoon character. "Hmmm, wasn't Mr. Wainwright right next to us?" he asked as he choked down the paste, looking around with Nicole to see where their cabal leader was.
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 31 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22 ... 31  Next