Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60

4 posters

Page 15 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 31  Next

Go down

The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60 - Page 15 Empty Re: The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:25 am

[Concordia]

'I've been shit on from above by real "life and limb" issues so... nah.' ending with a shrug.

"And your Chantrymates who had nothing to do with this should then suffer for it?"
Carlos asked raising an eyebrow.

A moment's silence, then a sigh. 'Carlos, what a load of fucking BS. This ain't a binary choice; "malicious compliance" or "give your every bit of being", y'know. Just doing your job well and then leaving it at that ain't malicious compliance; that's a sane reaction to not letting work suck you dry or become a brain tumour. What's more, this ain't an issue of "oh, Nick don't like some people"; you are talking out of your ass from some shitty management manual, the same which is why I got subjected to teambuilding crap - which suggests that everything can be cured by a cookout and pretending to be a tree. Teambuilding days don't correct shitty managment, it don't correct evidence of being unsupported and it don't correct it being all about them and their goals and not yours.' tone firm but friendly enough.

"Let me tell you a story. One of my European friends told me that when he was a kid he went to a kindergarten like many other kids, the employees did their job, to the letter and nothing more, so when my friend fell out of climbing tower thing whatever they are called and broke his arm he had to wait until the employee lunch break was over for it was not in their job description to take kids to the doctor in their lunch hour. Just sticking to what your job description is not ever going beyond are malicious compliance, especially since at a member of a Chantry you are not a fucking employee you are a member of a community that expect you to actually care about their well being. Your job is to help out your Chantry in every way that you can, since that is how we survive, it is not a hated nine to five job where you do your tasks and nothing else, make sure to never refill the coffee machine unless it is in your work assignment because stick ti to the man, that is now how we have survived for centuries against our enemies."
Carlos said with a sigh.
"Letting your community know about an idea for improvement do not suck you dry. And also I have never said that whatever beef you ahve with your Chantry can be fixed by hugging it out I have said that if you can nto see a Chantry as anything but a shitty job where you do your best to do as little as possible then that is not the fuckign Chantry for you because regardless of who is to blame your attitude hurt your Chantry and by extension also yourself."
The other Etherite said shaking his head.

Did folks bitch at the A-Team that they normally did their shit simply 'cos they were getting paid for it? Did Obi-Wan and Luke screw at Han Solo that he was only outrunning a Star Destroyer cos he needed the green... or whatever money is on Star Wars?' she continued, her flow cut off for a moment. 'I will do my job until I get a better offer. If my bosses don't know how to use my skillset to the fullest, well that's their issue, not mine. Anyway, you're forgetting something important; the Chantry is under-strength and no, there is not a "better" Nick out there to insantly replace me if I walked.'

"I guess this debate will not lead anywhere Nick. I am there for you, you know that. Whatever you need I just hope things will not go as bad as it can when a Chantry can not actually fiction together."
Carlos said with another sigh.
"And I hope an opportunity to join a Chantry where you do feel welcome come along. I worry about you sometimes you know, I really do."

As the robot in question ain't here, this cannot be proven either way. All I am arguing that I know proper synthetic sentience is very expensive and if I was a Union officer, wouldn't put one on a small exploration ship. That is unless the "exploring" part was of critical importance to the Union. Which I suspect we'd find out after cracking their systems and looking at the logs ecetra.'

"And yet from all I have read here of the robot's function Nick he is sentient, and from what I understand he also claim to be so and those who talk with him seam to think he is so while I have not examined the robot directly sometimes going with what appear to be the truth until it is proved otherwise is the wisest path."
The other Etherite said.

[Electrionics Store]

"Yeah that's me. Glad to know that people still remember my Mentor." Serge said sighing a little as he remembered her, "She's doing well given the circumstances. You've probably heard of all the stuff that's happened in Boston recently. She was injured during one of those incidents. Thankfully she's pulled through and is recovering nicely."

"Yeah I head about the problems in Boston, I am sorry to hear your Mentor got hurt kid but I am sure she will get better she is a tough lady."
Carlos said with a smile before he headed towards the back room to go to the conference giving a wave as he went.
"See you later kid...you to Nick."

Erm, yeah. You eat it. Lovely.' she replied weakly, knowing how poor the experience was. 'Wait, where's he gone. Buying your ticket or something?' giving a frown, wondering where Colin had vanished to.

"The British dude headed into the conference with Carlos."
The electronic shop clerk said pointing towards the back room.

"All right. Let's see how it tastes." Serge said opening the tube and spraying a bit of the nutrition paste into his mouth like a cartoon character. "Hmmm, wasn't Mr. Wainwright right next to us?" he asked as he choked down the paste, looking around with Nicole to see where their cabal leader was.

It had an artificial fruity flavor, not unpleasant but not to exiting either.

(OOC: That is never what Carlos said, what he said that given that we are in a fantastical world it seam strange the thing you would balk at is a sentient robot.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60 - Page 15 Empty Re: The Node, the Trial and a Cybernetics Convention IC thread 60

Post by Nicole Bouchard Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:17 am

[Concordia]

Spoiler:

'I've been guilt-tripped by people much better than you, mon. No, I refuse to accept the package which women have been given for centuries; "work your ass off for no real benefit to you otherwise people will suffer!".' she repeated.

Anja's Post:

'That example sucks 'cos them are being unprofessional, and acting like a fucking dolt to boot. I have professional standards and my next gig partly depends on folks a) surviving and b) telling others how Nick did her job and did it well.' she replied, a little curtly as it was like Carlos did not understand between "malicious compliant jobsworth" and "professional but detached". 'And no, it is a job. Part of the issues I've had was that I took shit there too personally, I mistook my boss for a friend and actually believed they like, wanted to help me and shit. Well, I was wrong. My fault, I own it, my responsibility to change it.'

Anja's Post:

'And other times, it's best to reserve your judgement until more facts are in.' Nicole retorted.

[Electrionics Store]

Anja's Post:

'When did they slip off?' giving a suspicious frown. 'Well kid, you done here?' looking to Serge.

[Nick never said sentient robots were impossible, so Carlos is arguing against a point she never made.]

Last edited by Nicole Bouchard on Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:02 pm

[Electronics Shop]
Anja wrote:"I mean that is great dad and I know that for important things that save allot of lives having such insight is important but I would rather shape my own future than to have it dictated to me by visions."
Anna replied firmly.
Colin grinned, "Sweetie, here's a big piece of advice I want you to take to heart - I am here to teach you to be strong, and confident in your own capabilities, and to help you as a moral guide. That means I will have to lay down the path I believe will be best for you, with milestones along the way. It doesn't mean you have to follow that path, once you're a legal adult, just that you'll find more support has been prepared for you ahead of time on that path. But those same supports can usually be shuffled around, albeit with a little work, if you decide to take a different path, and I will still love and support you as a dad and Mentor. Saying you will deliver a strong argument before the Nine, well... I know you well enough to say you would do that without prophecy, too. What the visions let me - and by extent you - know is that you'll be prepared for it when the day comes, and that you'll be allowed up on your own merits."

Anja wrote:"I guess that is why Maggie feel everyone are good test subjects and not just members of a given race, she looks down on everyone equally."
Carlos said wryly.
He grimaced, "In a way, that is at least better than bloody Thatcher; she was all about strict disparity... just not along ethnic lines. If you weren't rich or aristocracy, your opinion didn't matter... Well, I suppose her opinion no longer matters."

Anja wrote:"Yeah or you know like a belt that let you mount a mind controlled laser gun in your undies the sky is the limit."
The Clerk said wryly.
"I know a couple of augmented reality glasses are shown that will allow you to see full spectrum and also record video and see spirits, minds and life are being demonstrated, I want a pair but damn they cost, to rich for me."
He said with a chuckle.
"I still would like to catch the presentation though, perhaps get a chance to try them out."
He thought for a moment, then fished out his own glasses case, looking at his Focus, "I suppose I could make permanent enchantments on these, myself... can't do vital or mental scans, though. Nor recordings, really. I can't unsee spirits, though, they're rather everywhere, like that little... hum... you know what? I would recommend you test that green device on the shelf there, the one that looks like the PKE meter from Ghostbusters. It appears to have some... bugs."

Anja wrote:"No not actual bits and bobs."
The girl said as she handed you a goodie bag with the logo of the conference on it.
"But one lady's copper hair sticks got teleported into the candy shop two doors down, ended up nailing a twinkie to the wall."
He arched an eyebrow, accepting the bag, "Let me guess - electroconductivity?"

((OOC: Ooops, guess Carlos and Colin walked softly as they headed off to the back. Colin might've been a bit too distracted at the time, alas, to remember to tell the others he was moving on. Razz ))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:03 pm

[Concordia]

'I've been guilt-tripped by people much better than you, mon. No, I refuse to accept the package which women have been given for centuries; "work your ass off for no real benefit to you otherwise people will suffer!".' she repeated.

"Yeah this have nothing to do with fucking gender Nick and your Chantry prospering do benefit you it means you are a member of a stronger, more powerful Chantry with the benefits and protection that give."
Carlos replied rolling his eyes.

'That example sucks 'cos them are being unprofessional, and acting like a fucking dolt to boot. I have professional standards and my next gig partly depends on folks a) surviving and b) telling others how Nick did her job and did it well.' she replied, a little curtly as it was like Carlos did not understand between "malicious compliant jobsworth" and "professional but detached". 'And no, it is a job. Part of the issues I've had was that I took shit there too personally, I mistook my boss for a friend and actually believed they like, wanted to help me and shit. Well, I was wrong. My fault, I own it, my responsibility to change it.'

"Very well it was a bad example but the point still stands. Also you are always speaking of your next gig and your Chantry as your job not your community and this is the crux of our disagreement. I think it is unethical to treat a Chantry in such a way as it weaken the whole and that is a good way to get yourself or others killed, at the very least you should inform your Chantrymates that for you membership at Steelhaven is just a job where you will person the letter of your job no more and no less until something better comes along, they deserve to know that and then they can decide if it is still agreeable for them to have you be a member."
Carlos replied.
"I do not know what happened at your Chantry but at the very least they deserve to know you invest nothing personal in the Chantry, it's growth or well being, not belong being a hired tech or hired soldier, if they want to keep you on as a mercenary then sure great do your job and get paid but they deserve to know."

And other times, it's best to reserve your judgement until more facts are in.' Nicole retorted.

"Or one can look at facts rather than what one have decided have to be the truth, I have looked at the files here and I woulds say it is about 90 percent sure that Arland is sentient, and I prefer then to treat and speak about him as a person until it is proven he is not sentient, especially since I base my view on what I have seen of his work, the tasks he do and what the crew's beliefs about him was while you base your view it seams on the idea that surely the Union would not sent a sentient robot on a research mission due to them being expensive to make."
Carlos replied firmly.

[Electronics Shop]

Colin grinned, "Sweetie, here's a big piece of advice I want you to take to heart - I am here to teach you to be strong, and confident in your own capabilities, and to help you as a moral guide. That means I will have to lay down the path I believe will be best for you, with milestones along the way. It doesn't mean you have to follow that path, once you're a legal adult, just that you'll find more support has been prepared for you ahead of time on that path. But those same supports can usually be shuffled around, albeit with a little work, if you decide to take a different path, and I will still love and support you as a dad and Mentor. Saying you will deliver a strong argument before the Nine, well... I know you well enough to say you would do that without prophecy, too. What the visions let me - and by extent you - know is that you'll be prepared for it when the day comes, and that you'll be allowed up on your own merits."

"I know dad it is just at at time when you speak of all the things I will do, twenty years from now it is a little overwhelming, I mean perhaps I will not be able to do those things or maybe I will not want to as I grow."
Anna replied softly.

He grimaced, "In a way, that is at least better than bloody Thatcher; she was all about strict disparity... just not along ethnic lines. If you weren't rich or aristocracy, your opinion didn't matter... Well, I suppose her opinion no longer matters."

"Unfortunately many still think the same. Like one of my sisters, she is a nurse and is raising three children alone, she is often smeared at for shopping clothes to her family at goodwill and for not being rich, because many equate money to morality, that if you are rich it means you are more moral and more deserving than if you are poor."
Carlos replied with a shake of his head.
"I think that attitude is one of the most important to do away with, as it give an excuse to treat the rich and the poor differently and maintain strict class separations."

He thought for a moment, then fished out his own glasses case, looking at his Focus, "I suppose I could make permanent enchantments on these, myself... can't do vital or mental scans, though. Nor recordings, really. I can't unsee spirits, though, they're rather everywhere, like that little... hum... you know what? I would recommend you test that green device on the shelf there, the one that looks like the PKE meter from Ghostbusters. It appears to have some... bugs."

"I would prefer not to carry around clunky equipment but rather just wear something but yes meters like those works."
The clerk said.
"And there is always many ways to do things but I prefer a technological method."

He arched an eyebrow, accepting the bag, "Let me guess - electroconductivity?"

"Oh indeed what a glorious force that electrodonductivity...well at least no one was hurt but the kid holding the twinky might be swearing of sweets for a while."
The young woman said with a grin.
"Enjoy the conference Sir."

When did they slip off?' giving a suspicious frown. 'Well kid, you done here?' looking to Serge.

"I think the big guy even waved to you and the kid and say they where leaving so yeah they left."
The clerk commented.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:16 pm

[Electronics Shop]

Anja wrote:"Yeah I head about the problems in Boston, I am sorry to hear your Mentor got hurt kid but I am sure she will get better she is a tough lady."
Carlos said with a smile before he headed towards the back room to go to the conference giving a wave as he went.
"See you later kid...you to Nick."

"See ya." Serge said cheerily as he waved good bye to Carlos.

Nicole wrote:'When did they slip off?' giving a suspicious frown. 'Well kid, you done here?' looking to Serge.

"I think so. Can't really think of anything I desperately need to buy here." Serge said looking around at the various wares within the electronics shop. "I assume your headed towards the conference. Mind if I tag along with you seeing as I've been suddenly abandoned?"
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:23 am

[Electronics Shop]

See ya." Serge said cheerily as he waved good bye to Carlos.

Carlos headed of to the back room to go back to the conference.

Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:11 am

[Electronics Shop]
Anja wrote:"I know dad it is just at at time when you speak of all the things I will do, twenty years from now it is a little overwhelming, I mean perhaps I will not be able to do those things or maybe I will not want to as I grow."
Anna replied softly.
Colin sighed, "I know, Sweetie... I'm just a little bit excited to see you thrive and flourish, and having seen the fine adult you'll become, well... I intent to make damn well sure you will be able to do all those things and more, whether or not you will want to, and thus whether or not you will, that's entirely up to you."

Anja wrote:"Unfortunately many still think the same. Like one of my sisters, she is a nurse and is raising three children alone, she is often smeared at for shopping clothes to her family at goodwill and for not being rich, because many equate money to morality, that if you are rich it means you are more moral and more deserving than if you are poor."
Carlos replied with a shake of his head.
"I think that attitude is one of the most important to do away with, as it give an excuse to treat the rich and the poor differently and maintain strict class separations."
He nodded, "In hindsight, America was perhaps an error in judgement in that regard, though there were some... other reasons, as well. Britain retains the aristocratic divide, though it is diminishing, but the US does have some severe problems with distinct American Protestantism, and that bloody Prosperity Gospel... and that's a nationwide cultural issue, not just a religious one."

Anja wrote:"I would prefer not to carry around clunky equipment but rather just wear something but yes meters like those works."
The clerk said.
"And there is always many ways to do things but I prefer a technological method."
He shook his head and pointed, "No, I mean that I see spirits, and there are some distinctly bug-like spirits that seem to be... sniffing at the scanner-looking device on the shelf. I don't believe those to be the mending sort of spirits, either; most of those I've seen have been more spider-like than insectile..."

Anja wrote:"Oh indeed what a glorious force that electrodonductivity...well at least no one was hurt but the kid holding the twinky might be swearing of sweets for a while."
The young woman said with a grin.
"Enjoy the conference Sir."
He clicked his tongue, then chuckled, "It might be advisable to let the clerk in the electronics shop know about that; might reduce the risk of Twinkie-related injuries in the immediate future. At any rate, thank you, and I hope it is enjoyable for you, too."
He gave her a nod and followed Carlos' lead.
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:35 pm

[Electronics Shop]

Colin sighed, "I know, Sweetie... I'm just a little bit excited to see you thrive and flourish, and having seen the fine adult you'll become, well... I intent to make damn well sure you will be able to do all those things and more, whether or not you will want to, and thus whether or not you will, that's entirely up to you."

"I know dad and I love you for it, but it is like this, you live in many times at once but I live only now so dealing to much with the future get confusing."
Anna explained.
"But I am happy you have faith in me."

He nodded, "In hindsight, America was perhaps an error in judgement in that regard, though there were some... other reasons, as well. Britain retains the aristocratic divide, though it is diminishing, but the US does have some severe problems with distinct American Protestantism, and that bloody Prosperity Gospel... and that's a nationwide cultural issue, not just a religious one."

"And now the New Agers have taken over where the Christians left of, preaching that if you are poor it is your own fault."
Carlos said with a sigh.
"I mean I get the positive idea of the American Dream but it is far to simplified and when taken as a gospel truth it leads to open lisence to treat the poor badly."

He shook his head and pointed, "No, I mean that I see spirits, and there are some distinctly bug-like spirits that seem to be... sniffing at the scanner-looking device on the shelf. I don't believe those to be the mending sort of spirits, either; most of those I've seen have been more spider-like than insectile..."

"Huh...really? I guess I have to get someone to have a look and see if it is something that need to be chased out."
The clerk commented looking in that direction and looking confused.
"How do they look?"

[quote][He clicked his tongue, then chuckled, "It might be advisable to let the clerk in the electronics shop know about that; might reduce the risk of Twinkie-related injuries in the immediate future. At any rate, thank you, and I hope it is enjoyable for you, too."/quote]

"Yeah I might do that."
The young woman said before she gave a polite nod and went to help the next person in line.

He gave her a nod and followed Carlos' lead.

Carlos led the way out of the main conference area and into a small kitchen down a long hallway.
"Do you want any coffee or tea Sir?"
He asked as he put on a water boiler.
"We can talk there but before we start...ok I mean no disrespect but what have your Chantry done to Nicole?"
He asked sounding protective.
"I am not going to repeat her words those are hers but clearly things have done wrong again no offense but she is a former Cabal member I will not allow anyone harming her."
The large man grumbled.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:17 pm

[Electronics Shop]
Anja wrote:"I know dad and I love you for it, but it is like this, you live in many times at once but I live only now so dealing to much with the future get confusing."
Anna explained.
"But I am happy you have faith in me."
Colin smiled, "Sweetie, I have complete confidence in that you will be a greater Mage than I am, in the fullness of time. I just hope I'll be here to see it."

Anja wrote:"And now the New Agers have taken over where the Christians left of, preaching that if you are poor it is your own fault."
Carlos said with a sigh.
"I mean I get the positive idea of the American Dream but it is far to simplified and when taken as a gospel truth it leads to open lisence to treat the poor badly."
He nodded soberly.

Anja wrote:"Huh...really? I guess I have to get someone to have a look and see if it is something that need to be chased out."
The clerk commented looking in that direction and looking confused.
"How do they look?"
He squinted a bit, "Rather like large stag beetles, but as though they're in a 1920s Disney cartoon and digitized in low resolution..."

Anja wrote:Carlos led the way out of the main conference area and into a small kitchen down a long hallway.
"Do you want any coffee or tea Sir?"
He asked as he put on a water boiler.
"We can talk there but before we start...ok I mean no disrespect but what have your Chantry done to Nicole?"
He asked sounding protective.
"I am not going to repeat her words those are hers but clearly things have done wrong again no offense but she is a former Cabal member I will not allow anyone harming her."
The large man grumbled.
He sighed softly, "Tea, please... and it is a long story. I rather envy you your freedom to be her friend like that. Where should I start... I'm certain you've noticed she can display a tendency to be... no, to need to be in the right, and damn the torpedoes? She has brilliant ideas at times, and is quite skilled in practical engineering, but she shows an unfortunate measure of contempt for the First Protocol where Mystics are concerned. And unfortunately, when she was goaded into being... impolite in tone against a Hermetic Adept, he started milking the deliberately taken slight as a weapon. We managed to salvage the situation, just before heading into combat against the Fallen, but I'm afraid she felt betrayed that the rest of us did not immediately jump to her defense by declaring she was right, and the Hermetic in question was wrong."
He pinched the bridge of his nose, "Ultimately, her... instincts that the Hermetic was... off, shall we say, proved accurate, but she handled it poorly. We managed to smooth things over with the other Chantry - can't go into further details, due to political sensitivity - but at the heart of the issue with Nicole is that instead of checking in with her seniors, and I don't mean her 'betters', just those of higher rank, she goes straight to punching out of her political weight class. After she made a... comment favourable to Union education to our Hermetic Security Chief, who has lost several apprentices to the Union, he... let out a heated declaration of challenging her to a duel over the insult. There have been a few more incidents of her boorish behaviour, and as her Cabal Leader, I have had a lot of fires to put out, most of which she hasn't even seen, as she's either been off to sulk at the time, or already buggered off to a combat situation or urgent project."
He leaned back in the chair a little, "You know her... I would appreciate any advice you might have to keep her out of harm's way, because she herself is making that a challenge. I would like to see her advance in rank, but... she needs a little bit more maturity and perspective first. I know she can accomplish truly impressive things in the next few years, but she keeps making enemies of Mystics that outrank her, and there is only so much Steelhaven Hall can do to keep her from receiving duel challenges on a regular basis. On top of that, she begun chewing out the desk clerk at the Etherite/Verbena clinic when they couldn't supply an immediate security team without the slightest explanation why... I asked her to leave and cool her head, go over to the conference, while I smoothed things over with the clinic and arranged security for the patient I'd brought in..."
He frowned, "Yes, it might be possible to sound more supportive to her ears, but I am only one man, there are limits to how many tempers I can cool down at once, and I need to give priority to the ones who can file grievances against the Chantry... we're in a politically precarious spot, and she keeps rocking the boat. She's a good person, and in the most pragmatic of terms an asset, but she doesn't seem to understand when to stop poking the bear."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:22 pm

[Concordia]

Anja's Post:

'True, that line is given to guys too. Just that it's a very common one used against women, doing shitty jobs like caring for kids and old people for fuck all pay.' shaking her head sadly at it.

Anja's Post:

'Ethics? What have ethics got to do with it?' Nicole shot back, more incredulous than angry. 'They tell me to go and kill people I don't personally have a beef with, to march off to see and do shit which I can never forget, to get shot, stabbed, electricuted, punched and whatever other shit enemies can cook up so the squishier members don't get, well squished. Which I do, as it's my job. There's a chance I will literally die doing said job. And you suggest I might be being unethical? Really? You make it sound like I'm planning to spend my days hiding in the basement with ink magazines.'

'A soldier needs to know where they stand. And now I do. If they do not like this reaction, p'haps they should fucking look at their own actions which caused it rather than lecturing the reactee that their feelings and views are "wrong". Which I fully expect I shall get again tonight.'

Anja's Post:

'Well, that's your call. Me, I'll consider it another Talkie Toaster or Nurse Barney [the annoying medical chatbot at Drydock] until proper proof otherwise, me.' ending with a shrug, moving upto the door of the electronics store...

[Electronics Store]

Serge's Post:

'Understandable... most of this kit is what you'd get at a local Best Buy and....' a little squint at the price-card '-'bout 40% cheaper. Sorry.' the last bit to the shop clerk, realising she could be taken to be insulting their store. 'Wait... do you stock electrical parts too?' looking around to see if there was any evidence that they catered for equipment born before the advent of semicondutors.

[My 'where have they gone?' bit was partly done simply to give the scene a little shunt to get it moving again.]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:11 am

[Electronics Store]

Nicole wrote:'Understandable... most of this kit is what you'd get at a local Best Buy and....' a little squint at the price-card '-'bout 40% cheaper. Sorry.' the last bit to the shop clerk, realizing she could be taken to be insulting their store. 'Wait... do you stock electrical parts too?' looking around to see if there was any evidence that they catered for equipment born before the advent of semicondutors.

"The mundane stuff maybe. I'm more so looking for the magickal stuff. Apparently they got flash drives with unlimited storage. That's so wild to me. Who'd need that much storage? Can't imagine we'd find that on Earth." Serge said, clearly still amazed with such a device.

"What sort of electronic parts are you looking for?" he asked also looking around the store despite not knowing what his cabalmate was searching for.
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:23 am

[Electronics Shop]

Colin smiled, "Sweetie, I have complete confidence in that you will be a greater Mage than I am, in the fullness of time. I just hope I'll be here to see it."

"All I can do is hope that I will make you proud dad, and that I will become something worthy of Yu-Die's affection."
Anna said and you could almost hear her blush.

He squinted a bit, "Rather like large stag beetles, but as though they're in a 1920s Disney cartoon and digitized in low resolution..."

"I have no idea what that could be but I will have it looked at."
The clerk said raising en eyebrow.

etic's Convention.)

[quote]He sighed softly, "Tea, please... and it is a long story. I rather envy you your freedom to be her friend like that. Where should I start... I'm certain you've noticed she can display a tendency to be... no, to need to be in the right, and damn the torpedoes? She has brilliant ideas at times, and is quite skilled in practical engineering, but she shows an unfortunate measure of contempt for the First Protocol where Mystics are concerned. And unfortunately, when she was goaded into being... impolite in tone against a Hermetic Adept, he started milking the deliberately taken slight as a weapon. We managed to salvage the situation, just before heading into combat against the Fallen, but I'm afraid she felt betrayed that the rest of us did not immediately jump to her defense by declaring she was right, and the Hermetic in question was wrong."
He pinched the bridge of his nose, "Ultimately, her... instincts that the Hermetic was... off, shall we say, proved accurate, but she handled it poorly. We managed to smooth things over with the other Chantry - can't go into further details, due to political sensitivity - but at the heart of the issue with Nicole is that instead of checking in with her seniors, and I don't mean her 'betters', just those of higher rank, she goes straight to punching out of her political weight class. After she made a... comment favourable to Union education to our Hermetic Security Chief, who has lost several apprentices to the Union, he... let out a heated declaration of challenging her to a duel over the insult. There have been a few more incidents of her boorish behaviour, and as her Cabal Leader, I have had a lot of fires to put out, most of which she hasn't even seen, as she's either been off to sulk at the time, or already buggered off to a combat situation or urgent project."
He leaned back in the chair a little, "You know her... I would appreciate any advice you might have to keep her out of harm's way, because she herself is making that a challenge. I would like to see her advance in rank, but... she needs a little bit more maturity and perspective first. I know she can accomplish truly impressive things in the next few years, but she keeps making enemies of Mystics that outrank her, and there is only so much Steelhaven Hall can do to keep her from receiving duel challenges on a regular basis. On top of that, she begun chewing out the desk clerk at the Etherite/Verbena clinic when they couldn't supply an immediate security team without the slightest explanation why... I asked her to leave and cool her head, go over to the conference, while I smoothed things over with the clinic and arranged security for the patient I'd brought in..."
He frowned, "Yes, it might be possible to sound more supportive to her ears, but I am only one man, there are limits to how many tempers I can cool down at once, and I need to give priority to the ones who can file grievances against the Chantry... we're in a politically precarious spot, and she keeps rocking the boat. She's a good person, and in the most pragmatic of terms an asset, but she doesn't seem to understand when to stop poking the bear."

"There is only the baggies from boxes are that ok? Some sort of red fruits blend."
Carlos said as he rummaged through the cabinets and found two cups.
"Let me put it this way."
He said with a soft sigh.
"Have Nick ever told you how she lost her arm? Our Cabal was fighting the Union and a Hermetic in our group, Jason was dead to rights, in a few moments he would be dead. Nick stepped in with no regards for her own safety and saved him, taking the hit meant for Jason. I know she can be difficult and heavens know I fight with her at times but if you earn her trust she is the kind of person who would take a bullet for you no questions asked."
The Etherite said as he filled coffee powder in one of the cups and put a tea bag in the other.
"I will not get into detail about what she say or do because those things are for her to tell but remember Nick have grown up in a world where it have been her against everyone, and later her and a few friends against the world, do that mean she have at times unreasonable ideas of loyalty yes, she will see a friend not taking her side in an argument with someone on the outside as a betrayal since she have a us vs them point of view, and so the few who are the us need to be perfectly loyal in all things. I do not agree with this. I will for example gladly tell my extremely religious family members they are wrong if they show homophobia but I would also die to protect them. I understand that loyalty, the kind where you will protect and come to one another's aid do not have to mean one take one another's side in all discussions. But for Nicole she have not had the support growing up I have and she need that reassurance of loyalty. Meaning that while I will get in a screaming match with her in private in a argument she have with others I will take her side even if I might not agree with her, and for that I have a friend I know will always have my back and I have hers. You might want to consider what that is worth Mr Wainwright."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:37 am

[Concordia]

'True, that line is given to guys too. Just that it's a very common one used against women, doing shitty jobs like caring for kids and old people for fuck all pay.' shaking her head sadly at it.

"Off course but not the point here Nick, the point is that we are like in a zombie apocalypse yes, the world is full of zombies who want you dead and you dislike the leadership of your group of survivors so you do not tell them how they can improve the fence around the hideout because that is not your job."
Carlos said.
"It matters little if you have avoided giving anything to the man when a zombie is snacking on your brain and the brains of your ffriends, something that could have been avoided with better fences."

'Ethics? What have ethics got to do with it?' Nicole shot back, more incredulous than angry. 'They tell me to go and kill people I don't personally have a beef with, to march off to see and do shit which I can never forget, to get shot, stabbed, electricuted, punched and whatever other shit enemies can cook up so the squishier members don't get, well squished. Which I do, as it's my job. There's a chance I will literally die doing said job. And you suggest I might be being unethical? Really? You make it sound like I'm planning to spend my days hiding in the basement with ink magazines.'

"Everything Nick, it have everything to do with it."
Carlos said.
"And who have your Chantry told you to kill you have no beef with? I am going out on a limb here but I doubt they send you out as an assassin. Also no one are saying you do not do your job well Nicole that was never the issue. I am not sure I can get through o you though, not when you see a Chantry as simply a job. The thing is if you see yourself as just a mercenary then let your Chantry know that so they know they can count on you to be a mercenary and nothing else that is my point. Letting people know where you and they stand is ethical."

'A soldier needs to know where they stand. And now I do. If they do not like this reaction, p'haps they should fucking look at their own actions which caused it rather than lecturing the reactee that their feelings and views are "wrong". Which I fully expect I shall get again tonight.'

"Again without knowing what your Chantry have done to you then I can not comment but I assume most of the members have not harmed you, so then no that reaction is not fair, not to all of the member who is just trying to survive."
The other Etherite argued.

'Well, that's your call. Me, I'll consider it another Talkie Toaster or Nurse Barney [the annoying medical chatbot at Drydock] until proper proof otherwise, me.' ending with a shrug, moving upto the door of the electronics store...

"Yeah because if it quack like a duck, look like a duck and fucking swim in the late it is important to not believe it is a duck until you ahve dissected it in the off chance someone have painted some other bird to look like a duck."
Carlos said with a sigh as he followed Nicole into the store.

[Electronics Store]

'Understandable... most of this kit is what you'd get at a local Best Buy and....' a little squint at the price-card '-'bout 40% cheaper. Sorry.' the last bit to the shop clerk, realising she could be taken to be insulting their store. 'Wait... do you stock electrical parts too?' looking around to see if there was any evidence that they catered for equipment born before the advent of semicondutors.

The clerk shrugged to show he was not insulted and it was what it was then he nodded.
"We have some, down the isle there, but there is a depot shop down on the docks proper that have more parts and they are cheaper than us as well, we mostly sell things to upgrade your computer or do minor repairs."

"What sort of electronic parts are you looking for?" he asked also looking around the store despite not knowing what his cabalmate was searching for.

There was a isle with some electronics parts but the selection was not great.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:52 am

[Electronics Shop]
Anja wrote:"All I can do is hope that I will make you proud dad, and that I will become something worthy of Yu-Die's affection."
Anna said and you could almost hear her blush.
Colin grinned, "You have, and you will... ah, a bit time loopy there, you'll figure tha bit out eventually."

Anja wrote:"I have no idea what that could be but I will have it looked at."
The clerk said raising en eyebrow.
He nodded, "Never seen that type before, either - but they do look tech-adjacent. And they're interested in that one device, not the identical ones next to it."

Anja wrote:"There is only the baggies from boxes are that ok? Some sort of red fruits blend."
Carlos said as he rummaged through the cabinets and found two cups.
He arched an eyebrow, "Lipton? That is quite good."

Anja wrote:"Let me put it this way."
He said with a soft sigh.
"Have Nick ever told you how she lost her arm? Our Cabal was fighting the Union and a Hermetic in our group, Jason was dead to rights, in a few moments he would be dead. Nick stepped in with no regards for her own safety and saved him, taking the hit meant for Jason. I know she can be difficult and heavens know I fight with her at times but if you earn her trust she is the kind of person who would take a bullet for you no questions asked."
The Etherite said as he filled coffee powder in one of the cups and put a tea bag in the other.
"I will not get into detail about what she say or do because those things are for her to tell but remember Nick have grown up in a world where it have been her against everyone, and later her and a few friends against the world, do that mean she have at times unreasonable ideas of loyalty yes, she will see a friend not taking her side in an argument with someone on the outside as a betrayal since she have a us vs them point of view, and so the few who are the us need to be perfectly loyal in all things. I do not agree with this. I will for example gladly tell my extremely religious family members they are wrong if they show homophobia but I would also die to protect them. I understand that loyalty, the kind where you will protect and come to one another's aid do not have to mean one take one another's side in all discussions. But for Nicole she have not had the support growing up I have and she need that reassurance of loyalty. Meaning that while I will get in a screaming match with her in private in a argument she have with others I will take her side even if I might not agree with her, and for that I have a friend I know will always have my back and I have hers. You might want to consider what that is worth Mr Wainwright."
He nodded thoughtfully, "Yes, that matches my personal assessment of her... you are fortunate to have the luxury of showing her such undivided loyalty; please, keep doing that for as long as you can. I, however, am her immediate superior in the Chantry - the leader of our shared Cabal. That means I can't be so unilaterally on her side, I have to defuse the issue first, then try to sort things out with her... and at that point, she's been... difficult to reach. It is all too often necessary to remove her from the equation when a situation arises, whether she's technically in the right or wrong, to prevent further escalation - which stings even more in the situations where I know she's factually in the right, but politically out of line, because she's sniffed out that, say, an Adept is bent. That's what happened at Steelhaven; she began organising our allies in good faith, and a Hermetic Adept questioned her authority to do so. I think she recognised that the Hermetic in question was goading her into something inadvisable, but at the same time, she couldn't stop herself from taking the bait, and we very nearly lost an allied Chantry completely, just before attacking a Labyrinth. What makes it worse is that the Adept was actually trying to get himself caught, because he was compromised and compelled against his own will, and a subtler touch from Nick would have helped expediting that... She also has something of a feud with the Cabal's second-in-command, the Security Chief's second-youngest apprentice, a Flambeau. Personally, I suspect the core of that feud boils down to them being very similar at heart - fiercely loyal warriors - but he has enjoyed academic opportunities and career options she never had a chance to even sniff at. He's the groomed young aristocratic officer to her grizzled career NCO, if that makes sense to you, and Nicole has a rather... red streak, as it were. In many senses, she is a street rat in a perpetual defensive stance, and she weighs her words poorly... but she had shown some great moments of caring for others at the Chantry, helping our resident alchemist's young apprentice tinker with a bicycle, for example."
He smiled wryly, "I rather envy you the luxury of being able to have Nicole's back in public like that - my rank burdens me with the duty of putting out fires first, then I can offer her support... what I would recommend for her is to seek out a good therapist. I... recognise some strong indicators of PTSD in her; and however much survival is in her blood, that bastard is going to keep gnawing at her until she breaks. And I do not want that old black dog to win. Getting the idea through to her, though... you might have more luck with that."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:39 pm

[Concordia]

Anja's Post:

'Well, you tell them that. They don't see it as a zombie apocalypse; it's simply "business as usual" for them with the circlejerks, dick-stroking and self-centred little plots. Which is why I started this conversation with you today by telling you that Boston is as complacent as fuck and if I can spot this, sure as hell the enemies can...'

Anja's Post:

'Well, so far it's been vampires, their slaves, a spider-shifter, a load of possible Fallen and a bunch of other things I've forgotten by now.' Nicole replied. 'They needed to die 'cos they were between me and the mission end and some of them deserved to die when I saw what that lab was like... but I had no personal beef with them. Their icing was purely business, like. And no, I won't tell them outright 'cos one of my personal missions now is to "avoid being shit on" and that will result me being shit on.' A moment's pause, taking a long drag of her cigerette and then grinding it out with some venom.

'Just like everyone else, mon. Constantly telling me that I am wrong, they are right and I should suck it up and with the fucking programme.'

Anja's Post:

'Showed that when push comes to shove, they won't have my back. Therefore, future plan is to make sure my back is never uncovered.' she replied simply.

[Electronics Store]

Anja's Post:

'I do. My TNG ISOs are like, 29 terabites by themselves. Currently occupy five of my externals.' Nicole replied lazily, looking around at the shelving.

Anja's Post:

'Hmm...' she replied uncertainly, suspecting they wouldn't have what she wanted.

Anja's Post:

'[Vacuum] tube voltage regulators and thyratrons.' she replied, more to the clerk than Serge - though was fairly sure they wouldn't stock parts which had fallen out of general Sleeper use in the 1970s.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:21 pm

[Electronics Shop]

Colin grinned, "You have, and you will... ah, a bit time loopy there, you'll figure tha bit out eventually."

"I hope you are right dad."
Anna replied.
"Well I will not keep you further I am sure you have important things to do."

He nodded, "Never seen that type before, either - but they do look tech-adjacent. And they're interested in that one device, not the identical ones next to it."

"Well I don't know what to tell you man, I can't see them and I have no idea what you are talking about all I can say is that I will have it looked at."
The clerk replied sounding a bit irritated.

He arched an eyebrow, "Lipton? That is quite good."

"Yeah looks like it...I will make a cup then."
Carlos said looking at the box of tea bags.

'I do. My TNG ISOs are like, 29 terabites by themselves. Currently occupy five of my externals.' Nicole replied lazily, looking around at the shelving.

Ordered shelves filled the small shop with all sort of electronics equipment, parts and related goods neatly stacked. The store smelled of dust, electronics and whatever was used to wash the floor.

[Vacuum] tube voltage regulators and thyratrons.' she replied, more to the clerk than Serge - though was fairly sure they wouldn't stock parts which had fallen out of general Sleeper use in the 1970s.

"Yeah we don't have that, sorry, but you could check the depot store on the docks, there is also a hi fi show in town they might have what you are looking for or be able to get it at least."
The clerk replied.

He nodded thoughtfully, "Yes, that matches my personal assessment of her... you are fortunate to have the luxury of showing her such undivided loyalty; please, keep doing that for as long as you can. I, however, am her immediate superior in the Chantry - the leader of our shared Cabal. That means I can't be so unilaterally on her side, I have to defuse the issue first, then try to sort things out with her... and at that point, she's been... difficult to reach. It is all too often necessary to remove her from the equation when a situation arises, whether she's technically in the right or wrong, to prevent further escalation - which stings even more in the situations where I know she's factually in the right, but politically out of line, because she's sniffed out that, say, an Adept is bent. That's what happened at Steelhaven; she began organising our allies in good faith, and a Hermetic Adept questioned her authority to do so. I think she recognised that the Hermetic in question was goading her into something inadvisable, but at the same time, she couldn't stop herself from taking the bait, and we very nearly lost an allied Chantry completely, just before attacking a Labyrinth. What makes it worse is that the Adept was actually trying to get himself caught, because he was compromised and compelled against his own will, and a subtler touch from Nick would have helped expediting that... She also has something of a feud with the Cabal's second-in-command, the Security Chief's second-youngest apprentice, a Flambeau. Personally, I suspect the core of that feud boils down to them being very similar at heart - fiercely loyal warriors - but he has enjoyed academic opportunities and career options she never had a chance to even sniff at. He's the groomed young aristocratic officer to her grizzled career NCO, if that makes sense to you, and Nicole has a rather... red streak, as it were. In many senses, she is a street rat in a perpetual defensive stance, and she weighs her words poorly... but she had shown some great moments of caring for others at the Chantry, helping our resident alchemist's young apprentice tinker with a bicycle, for example."
He smiled wryly, "I rather envy you the luxury of being able to have Nicole's back in public like that - my rank burdens me with the duty of putting out fires first, then I can offer her support... what I would recommend for her is to seek out a good therapist. I... recognise some strong indicators of PTSD in her; and however much survival is in her blood, that bastard is going to keep gnawing at her until she breaks. And I do not want that old black dog to win. Getting the idea through to her, though... you might have more luck with that."

"I understand what you are saying Mr Wainwright however you have to know that you are loosing her, if she continue to be in her mind betrayed then she will pack her bags and leave and I fear for her, I fear she will run out of Chantries willing to take her despite her considerable skills. I would have liked nothing more for her to get some sort of treatment for the traumas that led her down this path, but I doubt it would do much good, like you said she like to be right and therapy would be continued until the therapist ever challenged her on anything."
Carlos said as he brought a cup of coffee to the table for himself and a cup of tea for Colin.
"I am not going to discuss Nick's mental health behind her back though. I am just trying to implore you that even if she might be unreasonable her loyalty if you can win it might be worth it taking her side in arguments even when it is not politically wise to do so."
The Etherite said with a worried frown.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:41 pm

[Concordia]

Well, you tell them that. They don't see it as a zombie apocalypse; it's simply "business as usual" for them with the circlejerks, dick-stroking and self-centred little plots. Which is why I started this conversation with you today by telling you that Boston is as complacent as fuck and if I can spot this, sure as hell the enemies can...'

"It is business as usual Nicole it have been business as usual for 600 years, we do not need to be a army constantly living as a military unit but what we need is a society and no society is perfect, that means you get your assholes but to disengage from that society because some parts of it rub you the wrong way is a good way to get yourself and others killed."
Carlos said with a sigh.

'Well, so far it's been vampires, their slaves, a spider-shifter, a load of possible Fallen and a bunch of other things I've forgotten by now.' Nicole replied. 'They needed to die 'cos they were between me and the mission end and some of them deserved to die when I saw what that lab was like... but I had no personal beef with them. Their icing was purely business, like. And no, I won't tell them outright 'cos one of my personal missions now is to "avoid being shit on" and that will result me being shit on.' A moment's pause, taking a long drag of her cigerette and then grinding it out with some venom.

"And I am going to go out on a limb here and assume these where the enemies of your Chantry, working with the Union or the Nephandi not to mention the Fallen themselves...for fuck sake you have no beef with the Fallen? You act as if you where sent to kick grandmothers down the stairs. We are at war Nicole that means at times that war get violent, which is the very reason why we need the community of a Chantry. I am a bit confused though I fail to see what this have to do with the original argument which is I feel it is morally wrong for you to treat your Chantry just as work and to do your job but not a hair more. I feel that can come back to bite you one day and I do not want that. I have to be honest Nick at times I worry about you."
The other Etherite said softly.

'Just like everyone else, mon. Constantly telling me that I am wrong, they are right and I should suck it up and with the fucking programme.'

"If absolutely everyone tell you something Nick perhaps it is time to consider it. Not to get with the program but perhaps that some of the problem is with you as well. I am not saying there are no assholes but that well you know I care about you but at times you are not a easy person to deal with, and I am saying that with the best of intentions, and perhaps at times meeting the world like if it is a war zone is not the most productive."

'Showed that when push comes to shove, they won't have my back. Therefore, future plan is to make sure my back is never uncovered.' she replied simply.

"In what way Nick? Did they abandon you to fight a HIT Mark alone or toss you out on the street when you where down on your luck or..."
Carlos said
"Well you know your standards for loyalty are far beyond what most have, and that if you are wanting for a Chantry where everyone will always back you up in every argument for example or always take your side, then you might have to seek very hard and long to find a place like that. I am not saying I know the situation but look at it like this I love my aunts and all of my sisters, I would willingly lay down my life for them, if they need me I am there but when they start speaking out against gay rights I will not take their side in that. I know that for you it is important to have someone always take your side, a us against the world but for most there is a more nuanced look on things meaning your new Chantry mates might be fully willing to stand with you in a fight or help you move or help you when you are down even if they are not willing to take your side when they disagree with you in a fight."
The other Etherite said carefully.
"Perhaps you have to consider that a Chantry where everyone share your view of perfectly, unwavering loyalty in all things might not exist and the question is what then?"
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:42 pm

[Concordia]

Anja's Post:

'Therefore your "zombie apocalypse" analogy is wrong.' she replied with a shrug.

Anja's Post:

'Duh - why the hell do you think I'm just gonna do my job from now on in?' rolling her eyes. 'Can't get shit on for doing stuff if everything I do was ordered, can I? All hail the First fucking Tradition.'

Anja's Post:

'I refer you back to my previous statement. If you act towards me like a normal boss would, you will get the normal employee response from me. An employee who needs this gig, and so gives the boss what they want. Within limits, obviously.'

[Carlos would have worked out by now that basically, Nick feels burned enough from her Steelhaven experiences to make her fall into a 'Cover Your Ass' mentality; to not rock the boat, do your designated tasks, kick up every decision to a senior so they carry the can for any fails and always have a personal "exit plan" ready. She wouldn't burn out of Chantries because a lot of them wouldn't really notice these habits.]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:48 am

[Concordia]

Therefore your "zombie apocalypse" analogy is wrong.' she replied with a shrug.

"No it is not, it is just the long haul, when the zombies are not going away so the survivors have to keep together and protect one another but they also have to actually live for otherwise what is the point."
Carlos said simply.

Duh - why the hell do you think I'm just gonna do my job from now on in?' rolling her eyes. 'Can't get shit on for doing stuff if everything I do was ordered, can I? All hail the First fucking Tradition.'

"Because you literary said you was going to just do your job, straight up are you telling me that is not what you meant? For is so that change my entire stance in this debate."
The other Etherite replied.
"I mean saying hey I got a good idea for something we can do is not something that go against the First Protocol, now I think that Protocol is dumb but it is not quite as all encompassing as you think it is. But I get it you have been burned by shitty leaders and I agree they do not deserve you, but the other members of your Chantry is another matter."

I refer you back to my previous statement. If you act towards me like a normal boss would, you will get the normal employee response from me. An employee who needs this gig, and so gives the boss what they want. Within limits, obviously.'

"Hey you want to tell of your boss I am right there with you not argument. However your Chantry is more than your bosses, they are all of the mages and custos who rely on the other Chantry members, including you for their safety, that is the whole point to my argument."
Carlos said.
"I am not saying it is not shit in the system but also that we...the Traditions, members of a Chantry need one another, whatever or not the Deacons are idiots."

(OOC: He get that, he just think that if she feel that way about her Chantry perhaps it is better for everyone involved for her to find a Chantry where she feels more comfortable. Carlos is society minded, and so feel the most important part of a Chantry is to stand together fully to keep safe from the Traditions' enemies.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:44 pm

[Electronics Store]

Nicole wrote:'I do. My TNG ISOs are like, 29 terabites by themselves. Currently occupy five of my externals.' Nicole replied lazily, looking around at the shelving.

"29 TERABYTES! What could you possibly have stored in them? That's like 2000 copies of Skyrim." he said, clearly amazed at the amount of storage Nicole seemed to have used.

Nicole wrote:'[Vacuum] tube voltage regulators and thyratrons.' she replied, more to the clerk than Serge - though was fairly sure they wouldn't stock parts which had fallen out of general Sleeper use in the 1970s.
Anja wrote:"Yeah we don't have that, sorry, but you could check the depot store on the docks, there is also a hi fi show in town they might have what you are looking for or be able to get it at least."
The clerk replied.

"Ah shame. Guess there's no point in stocking niche items." Serge said. "What do you even need those items for? Are you planning on building something?"
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:21 am

[Electronics Store]

"Ah shame. Guess there's no point in stocking niche items." Serge said. "What do you even need those items for? Are you planning on building something?"

"Storage space is one thing that can be fixed buy buying items very few customers will be interested in gets to expensive so I leave that to specialty stores."
The Virtual Adept clerk said with a shrug.
"I can get you what you are looking for I bet but it will take some time."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:04 pm

[Electronics Shop]
Anja wrote:"I hope you are right dad."
Anna replied.
"Well I will not keep you further I am sure you have important things to do."
Colin smiled thinly, "I suppose I do, Sweetie... Good luck, and give the old man my best regards."

Anja wrote:"Well I don't know what to tell you man, I can't see them and I have no idea what you are talking about all I can say is that I will have it looked at."
The clerk replied sounding a bit irritated.
He nodded thoughtfully, muttering a small incantation over his glasses, "Here, take a look, you should be able to see them if you borrow my glasses for a moment."

Anja wrote:"I understand what you are saying Mr Wainwright however you have to know that you are loosing her, if she continue to be in her mind betrayed then she will pack her bags and leave and I fear for her, I fear she will run out of Chantries willing to take her despite her considerable skills. I would have liked nothing more for her to get some sort of treatment for the traumas that led her down this path, but I doubt it would do much good, like you said she like to be right and therapy would be continued until the therapist ever challenged her on anything."
Carlos said as he brought a cup of coffee to the table for himself and a cup of tea for Colin.
"I am not going to discuss Nick's mental health behind her back though. I am just trying to implore you that even if she might be unreasonable her loyalty if you can win it might be worth it taking her side in arguments even when it is not politically wise to do so."
The Etherite said with a worried frown.
He frowned, letting the tea steep, "I know she's... distancing herself, withdrawing from making judgment calls. And that is part of the problem, she's got some of the keenest instincts for hidden threats I've ever seen, but her attitude to everything 'unscientific' makes her needlessly confrontational and reckless toward Mystics. Instead of calling in superiors, she'll go straight to aggression and disrespect towards Masters of the Art, and that... could easily get her killed, or worse. Despite that, both Akrites Salonikas and Heylel Teomim foresaw her as important, but since they didn't use scientific means, she seems unlikely to ever accept that those predictions hold value... or relevance."
He sighed, taking a sip of the tea, "I'll take your advice to heart, but trying to take her side, as you put it, while simultaneously quieting down a spat, is going to prove a great challenge indeed... I don't know if I'll succeed, but..."
He pondered, "You know, Admiral Hastings had only compliments regarding her, when we spoke earlier, she'd briefly been to the future, and Nick and I had made some great advances on a weapon system together... I'll help Nick advance as best I can, but I can't recommend her for promotion until I am convinced she can control her temper a little better. As I understand it, the Etherites offer a form of field promotion for those who are less... academically inclined, yes? I am going to strongly advocate for such, once I feel she's better able to not pick a fight over everything... but I can't in good conscience do so before that. I will do what I can to help, even co-author research articles with her, and do what I can to support her, but given what we're up against, there are limits to what I can do in a heated moment."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:25 pm

[Electronics Shop]

Colin smiled thinly, "I suppose I do, Sweetie... Good luck, and give the old man my best regards."

"I will dad and if I get turned into a baby I am blaming you...talk to you later, give everyone my love."
Anna said before she hung up.

He nodded thoughtfully, muttering a small incantation over his glasses, "Here, take a look, you should be able to see them if you borrow my glasses for a moment."

The clerk nodded and glanced through the glasses.
"Ok there they are...bugs indeed. Again all I can do is mention it to someone but I do not see that they do any harm and there are spirits everywhere on Horizon...what exactly did you want me to do about them?"

He frowned, letting the tea steep, "I know she's... distancing herself, withdrawing from making judgment calls. And that is part of the problem, she's got some of the keenest instincts for hidden threats I've ever seen, but her attitude to everything 'unscientific' makes her needlessly confrontational and reckless toward Mystics. Instead of calling in superiors, she'll go straight to aggression and disrespect towards Masters of the Art, and that... could easily get her killed, or worse. Despite that, both Akrites Salonikas and Heylel Teomim foresaw her as important, but since they didn't use scientific means, she seems unlikely to ever accept that those predictions hold value... or relevance."
He sighed, taking a sip of the tea, "I'll take your advice to heart, but trying to take her side, as you put it, while simultaneously quieting down a spat, is going to prove a great challenge indeed... I don't know if I'll succeed, but..."

"I know, I know and I should not really be discussing her further I just...am am worried about her Mr Wainwright. Nicole is a good woman, she deserve more, unfortunately the survival strategies that have kept her alive and sane are now working against her. She deserve better than that. I don't know why I am discussing this with you I do not know you I just hope you will remember that beyond all the stubbornness and aggression Nicole have a good taste."
Carlos said stirring his coffee.

He pondered, "You know, Admiral Hastings had only compliments regarding her, when we spoke earlier, she'd briefly been to the future, and Nick and I had made some great advances on a weapon system together... I'll help Nick advance as best I can, but I can't recommend her for promotion until I am convinced she can control her temper a little better.

"It do not surprise me Nicole have so much potential and talent."
The Etherite said.
"But yes she is also her own worst enemy. Now listen I get allot of her political views. I might not go as far but there is allot of the system in the Traditions and in the world at large which is rotten, rotten to the core. Changes have to be made, but yeah I don't know. Listen I just wanted to make sure she is not ill treated."

As I understand it, the Etherites offer a form of field promotion for those who are less... academically inclined, yes? I am going to strongly advocate for such, once I feel she's better able to not pick a fight over everything... but I can't in good conscience do so before that. I will do what I can to help, even co-author research articles with her, and do what I can to support her, but given what we're up against, there are limits to what I can do in a heated moment.

"Yes our Tradition do field promotions though not very often. I can not really comment on what you are saying here I just...I do not want to talk about Nick behind her back I just want to plead with you to try to be patient if you meet her on her own terms she will be a powerful ally."
Carlos said before he sipped his coffee.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:28 pm

[Electronics Shop]
Anja wrote:The clerk nodded and glanced through the glasses.
"Ok there they are...bugs indeed. Again all I can do is mention it to someone but I do not see that they do any harm and there are spirits everywhere on Horizon...what exactly did you want me to do about them?"
Colin shrugged, "Do about them? Nothing specifically, but it might be a good idea to have them checked out - the device could have a defect, or work better than expected, but I do believe knowing which way that pendulum swings can only be beneficial... if these little fellows happen to make technology work better, they should be encouraged to stay, hmm?"

Anja wrote:"I know, I know and I should not really be discussing her further I just...am am worried about her Mr Wainwright. Nicole is a good woman, she deserve more, unfortunately the survival strategies that have kept her alive and sane are now working against her. She deserve better than that. I don't know why I am discussing this with you I do not know you I just hope you will remember that beyond all the stubbornness and aggression Nicole have a good taste."
Carlos said stirring his coffee.
He smiled thinly, "Perhaps because you recognize that I feel the same way about Nicole... I want her to thrive, and I see her potential, and the echoes of hurt that hold her back..."

Anja wrote:"It do not surprise me Nicole have so much potential and talent."
The Etherite said.
"But yes she is also her own worst enemy. Now listen I get allot of her political views. I might not go as far but there is allot of the system in the Traditions and in the world at large which is rotten, rotten to the core. Changes have to be made, but yeah I don't know. Listen I just wanted to make sure she is not ill treated."
He nodded, "Indeed, I am slightly less... leftward inclined than she is. Less radical, certainly. I agree with a lot of the changes she wants to see, but..."
He pondered for a moment, "My girlfriend introduced me to a concept that coincidentally describes Nicole quite well, politically - the Underpants Gnomes' three-phase business plan. Phase one, action, phase two, unknown, phase three, profit... Where I myself and a few others are working toward change with planning and caution, she's ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater and burn down the established structures wholesale... We can't afford to do that, obviously, but we do need to find the rotten structures and cut them out... but we need to have a plan for what to replace the rot with, or the same rot will stay in its place. Regardless, I do what I can to keep her posterior out of legal troubles, I fear she's unaware of how much trouble she has been excused from... I should perhaps show her an itemized list..."

Anja wrote:"Yes our Tradition do field promotions though not very often. I can not really comment on what you are saying here I just...I do not want to talk about Nick behind her back I just want to plead with you to try to be patient if you meet her on her own terms she will be a powerful ally."
Carlos said before he sipped his coffee.
He nodded, sipping his tea, "I know she will... and I try to be patient, but she is, as stated, not making that part easy. Nevertheless, please, keep being her friend, and keep trying to make her see the light of reason in private; at least two members of the First Cabal dreamt of her and wrote about her, and I would not be surprised to find others did the same..."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:07 pm

[Electronics Shop]

Colin shrugged, "Do about them? Nothing specifically, but it might be a good idea to have them checked out - the device could have a defect, or work better than expected, but I do believe knowing which way that pendulum swings can only be beneficial... if these little fellows happen to make technology work better, they should be encouraged to stay, hmm?"

The clerk raised an eyebrow.
"I will see what can be done Sir, anything else? Like I said there are spirits everywhere on Horizon."

He smiled thinly, "Perhaps because you recognize that I feel the same way about Nicole... I want her to thrive, and I see her potential, and the echoes of hurt that hold her back..."

"I just feel so helpless at times, it is hard to see a friend make a mess of things and yet if I try to do something it would be stepping over the line. I mean I agree with allot of what she says she just have a very black or white look at the world which is not constructive...I don't know what even talking with you about this feel wrong but I had to make sure she was not mistreated."
Carlos said sipping his coffee with a sigh.

He nodded, "Indeed, I am slightly less... leftward inclined than she is. Less radical, certainly. I agree with a lot of the changes she wants to see, but..."
He pondered for a moment, "My girlfriend introduced me to a concept that coincidentally describes Nicole quite well, politically - the Underpants Gnomes' three-phase business plan. Phase one, action, phase two, unknown, phase three, profit... Where I myself and a few others are working toward change with planning and caution, she's ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater and burn down the established structures wholesale... We can't afford to do that, obviously, but we do need to find the rotten structures and cut them out... but we need to have a plan for what to replace the rot with, or the same rot will stay in its place. Regardless, I do what I can to keep her posterior out of legal troubles, I fear she's unaware of how much trouble she has been excused from... I should perhaps show her an itemized list..."

"That is the problem you can show her that list but chances are she will not care, she will look at that list but still see just the argument when you did not take her side and feel betrayed. Black and white thinking can be difficult to deal with, I just hope that you will try."
The Etherite said.
"And I would not think it is her political views that is the problem. I am going out on a,limb where but I assume there are different political views among the members of Steelhaven Hall and that at times lead to some headed discussion the problem is more the degree of reaction she have to someone disagreeing with those opinions and that she expect her friends to back her up in every argument no matter the topic and that is not easy to do. I get it. I mean I assume this would have still been a problem if her political views was more conventional. And like I said I understand her, she have survived with a us against the world attitude where absolute loyalty in all things and no room for shades of gray is what have gotten her through, that is the problem she have been stabbed in the back so many times she expect treachery so when her friends do not back her up when arguing with a clerk she feel that betrayal all over again. I get that is hard to work with but I believe if she is given the support she needs she will eventually perhaps come to trust that someone can disagree with her, or argue against her in a discussion with a clerk or a superior but still have her back in everything that counts. Like I used as an example, I am from a Catholic family, and some of them have really backwards views when it comes to LGBTQ, I was out with one of my sisters hopping and she told a gay couple to stop holding hands because she did not want to have to explain her three year old son who was with us who two men was holding hands, I told my sister to can it, that she was straight up wrong. I would still take a bullet for my sister without hesitation. It takes time to be able to trust past disagreements though."

He nodded, sipping his tea, "I know she will... and I try to be patient, but she is, as stated, not making that part easy. Nevertheless, please, keep being her friend, and keep trying to make her see the light of reason in private; at least two members of the First Cabal dreamt of her and wrote about her, and I would not be surprised to find others did the same..."

"Listen Mr Wainwright I know you are in a difficult situation I know that and I have no good solutions for you other than to say Nicole are good at driving people away but she is a good person and she will be an extreme assert to your Chantry if she is given enough patience to actually start to trust. If you do not you will loose her and while another mechanic can be found, none with her talent."
Carlos said.
"But yes it feel awkward discussing Nicole behind her back so I eh...you wanted to talk with me about something Mr Wainwright about Skip ehm I mean Skipper Sato Arosia, the vampire I have some dealings with? What did you want to know?"
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 31  Next