Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tane and the fight in the Labyrinth

+2
Warpmind
Anja Rebekka Schultze
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tane and the fight in the Labyrinth Empty Tane and the fight in the Labyrinth

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Ok how do we handle this guys, I put no minimum posting speed on players but off course when one player post allot less than the rest I tend to have them go solo or place their characters in scenes that can either run paralell with other things that are going on or with other characters that are also played slower, this is so one player will not hold up all the rest, since that very often lead to players loosing interest in a game. While Tane's player where on hiatus we also move forward with the game quite a bit, and the rest of the group is now in the Labyrinth fighting. The way I undertand it from Tane's posts he would like to be a part of this but his character is time wise quite a few hours behind the rest and since he post allot slower and have periods with very little activity, though he have posted allot lately, I think it can be hard to bring him right into the fight with the other characters.

Here are some ideas for how to solve this:

Tane can be placed with the second strike team the one that went in through the mall portal, we can play his morning activities parallel with participating on this mission.

Tane could have been sent on an important mission that will be important for the battle but which is not directely together with one of the strike teams.

In either case I am having the werewolves that Tane have started recruiting be part of the second strike team since I think it is rather likwely they would want to help out with kicking some Nephandi ass.

I would love some imput on this as I do not want to exclude Tane and the character have done allot of important things but at the same time he is played at a much slower speed than the rest most of the days so basically having his storyline mostly happen on it's own alongside that of the main part of the plot have been the easiest way to deal with that up until now, with him at times having a scene or two with the other characters, but if he want to take part in the big battle the question is how to do that and now slow everything down to much.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tane and the fight in the Labyrinth Empty Re: Tane and the fight in the Labyrinth

Post by Warpmind Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Having him join the mall team sounds about right.
If I understand correctly, he's not more than a couple of hours behind at this point, what with travel times and all, and seeing as his lunch date does not relate to the actual battle, I don't see a great problem with letting him do both that and partake in the battle in parallel.
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Tane and the fight in the Labyrinth Empty Re: Tane and the fight in the Labyrinth

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:37 pm

I like the idea of Tane going on the second strike team alongside his werewolf pals. He did recruit them and it makes sense that he'd fight alongside them. And it shouldn't interfere with the flow of the other character's plots.

And if what I remember correctly, that team was fighting against the Hagalaz trap maker right?

If Tane goes with them than that could be an interesting fight to see happen alongside Nicole and Adley's fight (with the Asian Scar Lady). Not too mention it could make for a cool introduction for the Hagalaz Trap Maker.
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:49 pm

I agree with Warp and Jeremy on that if he agree then having him be a part of the mall team seam like a good idea and then just playing that and his luch date with the werewolf elder parallel to one another.

Tane is in the mid morning of Sunday now so he is quite a few hours behind the rest yes.

Yes the mall team is fighting against the Hagalaz trap maker indeed.

So Tane's player's (I do not know if you want me to use your name in the forum even if I know it myself) what you do think about that solution?
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:56 pm

The shifters may not wish Tane to go with them, if they're planning on using an 'incompatible style'. I don't know his abilities or anything, but there may be a simply a lack of space in a room full of say Crinos-things. Plus, who *really* wants to see that? They may not have the Delirium, but it doesn't mean mages are all happy with seeing such things in the flesh.

With my ST hat on for a second, it may be the time to get Tane to quickly detail in one post [or a PM, if he prefers] what he'll do before the battle, than for The Great One to construct a kind of 'bridging post' to get him back into the same time-zone as everyone else. [I personally try to 'sync up' with the other PC's if they're in the same place/time, but naturally that doesn't always work if they're faster posters than me].

On a more general note, this is a perennial issue with pbp games - one I am feeling more than usual due to the 'everything in one thread' format we're using here. I have been thinking; perhaps we could trial splitting off purely social scenes from the main thread - I personally don't mind occasionally doing a little detour with say another PC if we've run ahead a bit and to allow the others to catch up.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 pm

The shifters may not wish Tane to go with them, if they're planning on using an 'incompatible style'. I don't know his abilities or anything, but there may be a simply a lack of space in a room full of say Crinos-things. Plus, who *really* wants to see that? They may not have the Delirium, but it doesn't mean mages are all happy with seeing such things in the flesh.

For most mages this would be true, unless they are used to werewolves or other forms of shapecangers seeing one in full on Crinos will be scary as hell even if mages are immune to Delirium, however Tane have been friends with Coawa his Rokea companion for as long as he have been a mage so he is pretty used to it.

With my ST hat on for a second, it may be the time to get Tane to quickly detail in one post [or a PM, if he prefers] what he'll do before the battle, than for The Great One to construct a kind of 'bridging post' to get him back into the same time-zone as everyone else. [I personally try to 'sync up' with the other PC's if they're in the same place/time, but naturally that doesn't always work if they're faster posters than me].

Tane posts allot slower that is why syncking him up with the rest is hard, he do not generally post during the weekends at all, and while he have some periods like now where he post allot, for the most part he post allot less then the other players and at times drop out of the game for weeks at the time, which is perfectly fine but then he can not be involved in big scenes with all of the rest of the characters.

I do think he will want to play out the rest of his morning activities and the lunch date with the old werewolf woman so I think it will work fine to just run two scenes parallel I have done that allot of times for other characters for example when they have had scenes with Tane where we run that scene and then the scenes that follow it at the same time, that way Tane's player do not get rushed and the others do not get slowed down by waiting for his replies.

I do not want to split off scenes from the main thread other than Seekings, I see no problem with having social scenes as part of the main thread, and it makes it easier to keep track of everything rather than to have a million little threads to search through so unless the other players would also like the format to change I do not particularly want to change it.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:51 pm

I was thinking solely of this: part of the effort in posting is reading what's happened between your last post and the last one. There have been times where on confronted by 15+ posts and with only say 10 mins to reply, I've had to hold off posting until later. 'Later' shows that it's now 25 posts, and so on.

I am not saying 'a million threads', merely that if say Nicole and Serge were having an IC conversation with no bearing to the main plot and is mainly filler [this is not to insult filler per se, it's often highly tasty!] by hiving it off so that other posters do not need to work through so many posts before replying in the main thread. This also may assist you in attempting to keep everyone roughly in sync.

However, I do not know whether the issue I've pointed out at the top has been a cramp on Tane's posting rates - only that on a few occasions it has for me.

But all that said, it's only a minor issue. But one which may become worse if we get more players and/or their posting rates increase.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm

I would be happy to make an OOC thread for Nicole as I have done for Tane where I copy past posts that are of relevance to her there so you do not have to read through the rest.

The thing is to me the social interactions IS the main plot as is as important as the parts that involves dice rolling and combat and I do not want to delegate social interactions to the side lines.

For the most part being in synch have not been a big problem now and again someone get ahead of the others but it have not really been a big problem.

I do not think that have been a problem because everything relavant to him get copy pasted into a thread of his own, see Posts for Tane.

Like I said I can make a thread for Nicole like the Posts for Tane thread if that will make it easier for you it only take me a few seconds to copy paste a post into a second ooc thread for you to keep track of things there before posting to the IC thread.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tane Karyak Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 am

Tane can be placed with the second strike team the one that went in through the mall portal, we can play his morning activities parallel with participating on this mission.

I like this one, i mean, i invited them, we cannot just say "we're allies" and then just let them take care of problems without help. Tane should really accompany them.

In either case I am having the werewolves that Tane have started recruiting be part of the second strike team since I think it is rather likwely they would want to help out with kicking some Nephandi ass.
YEY!

I agree with Warp and Jeremy on that if he agree then having him be a part of the mall team seam like a good idea and then just playing that and his luch date with the werewolf elder parallel to one another.

I'm ALWAYS down to playing things in parallel if they don't interfere each other (i mean, maybe you got two scenes that the outcome of one can depend on the other, but if that's not the case...) so we can always do that if i ever go behind.

So Tane's player's (I do not know if you want me to use your name in the forum even if I know it myself) what you do think about that solution?

Mariano, no problem. I'm really sorry i don't know any of you, i know i've been not very active, but i like the game and am a huge fan of all the chars (i always end up amazed on how much you guys do when i read the last page summary).

I don't know his abilities or anything, but there may be a simply a lack of space in a room full of say Crinos-things. Plus, who *really* wants to see that? They may not have the Delirium, but it doesn't mean mages are all happy with seeing such things in the flesh.

Melee fighting, spirit channeling, avatar meddling and spiritual shenanigans (actually, nothing of use but kicking asses). Now, Tane awakened when he saw a shark give birth and turn then into a woman at age 6 (when he discovered Coawa's mother and weresharks, and his best friend ever) so he pretty much has fought alongside Gladius weresharks more than once. So it's new to werewolves but they would turn to be more curiousity than frightening (unless they lash out on me)

I would use this everytime i'm at a loss for some time. I know i shouldn't be anymore, but if it happens again... just do this and let's go.

On a more general note, this is a perennial issue with pbp games - one I am feeling more than usual due to the 'everything in one thread' format we're using here. I have been thinking; perhaps we could trial splitting off purely social scenes from the main thread - I personally don't mind occasionally doing a little detour with say another PC if we've run ahead a bit and to allow the others to catch up.

I have played games pbp for a long time and i usually see every scene in a post, so that anyone that knows that can follow up can just jump in. It makes for more organized game, i think. I don't have much time in my days so all in one post kills me, because before posting i got to read maybe 3 pages worth of other people's postings that i don't know for sure if have anything to do with me.
But, at the same time, Anja here is doing the heavy lifting so i will tag along what she says. After all she takes the time to copy all things concerning tane in a post for me. She's such a Sweetheart! *brings her cake*

Tane posts allot slower that is why syncking him up with the rest is hard, he do not generally post during the weekends at all, and while he have some periods like now where he post allot, for the most part he post allot less then the other players and at times drop out of the game for weeks at the time, which is perfectly fine but then he can not be involved in big scenes with all of the rest of the characters.

Let me tell you why this happens, because you deal with my shit and deserve explanation: I organize a tabletop roleplaying club on sundays or saturdays and have 2 gaming groups the other day of the weekends, sometimes also fridays, and i work with educational workshops with youngsters in the week, and i'm unemployed so i work in little day by day works so sometimes i got a lot to do all day and go out of home aroung 8 in the morning and come back around 9 or 10 at night, so i simply got no energy to write here, or maybe i'm not inspired and don't know what to do so i don't post.
That's when i'm at home, anyway, but i usually am not at home 3 - 4 days a week and outside i don't often have the time to come and post.
So, that's why this happens. I will try to be more active and keep it up this year as i love the game and i'd like to know more intimatelly the other playing characters, but i have to say that my disappearences can happen again. I also never say "i'm not posting for a week" or anything because most of the time it's not that i decide to do it, but i procrastinate it until a time that i have more energy or inspiration or ideas or whatever, and that moment never arrives XD

So sorry, people.

I was thinking solely of this: part of the effort in posting is reading what's happened between your last post and the last one. There have been times where on confronted by 15+ posts and with only say 10 mins to reply, I've had to hold off posting until later. 'Later' shows that it's now 25 posts, and so on.
This ^

I am not saying 'a million threads', merely that if say Nicole and Serge were having an IC conversation with no bearing to the main plot and is mainly filler [this is not to insult filler per se, it's often highly tasty!] by hiving it off so that other posters do not need to work through so many posts before replying in the main thread. This also may assist you in attempting to keep everyone roughly in sync.

I've another idea, maybe it would help: Why don't we put a code over every scene? I mean, Anja does that at her post for everyone, calling their name and then writing for them. Why don't we all do it? something like this:

Post starts:

[Bus back to tane's] Query for permission (Tane and NPCs)
Talking to morgan, bla bla bla, al that scene

[Tane's] A moment of rest (Tane and NPCs]
Doing whatever at the scene

[Steelhaven, node] Strike Brieffing (Adley, Colin, Tane, NPCs)
Talking to everyone else

End of scene

You see? Then any player can see that the only part that concerns them of my post is the last one, and they don't have to read out the rest.
For if you didn't get it, the code is: [Between these, the place] Here the title of the scene (here who's in it)
And this way it is not in different threads and nobody has to read unnecesarilly

I do not think that have been a problem because everything relavant to him get copy pasted into a thread of his own, see Posts for Tane.

You warm my heart with your kindness

Sorry por the long post, here is a magick potato

Tane and the fight in the Labyrinth Ze_magic_potato_by_maxkitty-d5jdygs
Tane Karyak
Tane Karyak

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:54 am

'Syncing up' - Hell, RL happens. I've had a few times where I've been missing for a few days and I've had to do this, and a couple of times I've found doing *that* all too much and had to ask Anja to do it for me.

'Everything in one thread' - I was partly talking about my personal experiences, but also of my general experiences that I've seen places where the 'slower' posters in effect got utterly crowded out by the 'faster' ones. Which I feel is inherently unfair; mere quantity does not automatically equal quality. In fact, some of my best RP'ing experiences ever were with the 'slow' ones.

Lastly, I would mention that yes, while this system worked perfectly fine before - but that was with 3 PC's, yeah?. We are now at 5. If we get up to 6 [or more!] the system *might* crack under the strain.

'Posting rate' - I am a shift-worker, so at times there's a few days I can only post once, and others that I can't post at all. Occasionally, there's times which while I can physically post, my mind is like wet cement and can't produce anything to post. And every now and then I'm on a night-shift, meaning for much of the 'day' I'm actually getting to know my duvet better.

Said posting rate will be naturally slower due to mere physical time-zones; it's hard for ST's to respond to posts 'quickly' at their 4AM, for obvious reasons. Having played several games with American-based ST's, I get this 100%.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tane Karyak Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:12 am

What do you think about the framing idea?
Tane Karyak
Tane Karyak

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:23 am

I like the idea of using a code-tag - it might even negate having to make Tane his own thread since anyone will be able to use the search function through each page. For simplicity sake it could just be the characters involved in brackets so you can search the page for the bracketed name (that way the search won't jump to every section someone's name is mentioned). Then the place and/or time, depending if characters are in more than one spot/time so you could search for that if you wanted. It's up to the GM ofc but it might save some time if we can get used to it, plus keep everything in one thread so maybe it will be a great compromise.

It seems like it would make best sense for Tane to possibly be dealing with the mall entry if the player wants to, since we haven't said who is on that team, just that they got a tip off about the trapmaker. That's an important part of the fight : )

Example:
[Colin] Labyrinth Handler's Room, Sunday; [Colin] Steelhaven, possible future Xmas with Anna
[Adley, Nicole and Morgan's strike team] Labyrinth antechamber, Sunday
[Tane] his home, Sunday (am/pm); [Tane] Labyrinth Mall Entry,  Sunday

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Tane Karyak Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:30 am

Remember, place, scene, participants. That way you can search for the place and see who's where
Tane Karyak
Tane Karyak

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:47 am

I have some apointments today so I will have to read though this thread when I get home and focus on the IC now, but I will get back to this thread soon.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 am

No prob Anja.

@Tane - still can search for the place the way I put it also. Or offset them both by brackets works too, just so we're not picking up when those words are used in the body of the thread, like you said. I prefer to have the participants involved first, then the place and time. Naming each scene /could/ be optional - just trying to see how to keep  tagging things to a bare minimum but prevent overlap, so people still get what they need.

[Tane] [Tane's home] Sunday (am/pm) - if you looked up [Tane] you'd find all the ones marked that. Or [his home] specific place/scene if you know they are involved in a few at a time.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:54 pm

Okie dokie there is allot to reply to here so here we go:

I like this one, i mean, i invited them, we cannot just say "we're allies" and then just let them take care of problems without help. Tane should really accompany them.

I will set it up as soon as possible then, having Tane work with the second strike team and the werewolves. It will take me a moment as I am a little busy this weak but I will get it up as soon as possible and we will run the rest of Tane's morning and the attack on the Labyrinth simuntaniously.

I'm ALWAYS down to playing things in parallel if they don't interfere each other (i mean, maybe you got two scenes that the outcome of one can depend on the other, but if that's not the case...) so we can always do that if i ever go behind.

Ok good, the talk with the old werewolf woman should not affect the attack on the Labyrinth much as the werewolves will pretty much just agree to help take down wyrm tainted mages, the conversation with the old woman will just determine if Tane can get accsess to the spirits who know more about the cleansing realms.

Mariano, no problem. I'm really sorry i don't know any of you, i know i've been not very active, but i like the game and am a huge fan of all the chars (i always end up amazed on how much you guys do when i read the last page summary).

Yeah the characters have become budy busy critters. Oh and just post when you can I will just arrange it so that you can post when you can and if it takes a bit of time it do not hold up anything so no problem.

I would use this everytime i'm at a loss for some time. I know i shouldn't be anymore, but if it happens again... just do this and let's go.

Well the only thing left for Tane to do right now before he is caught up is have that meeting with the old shaman, the rest can be downtime, things like dropping of Strawberry and Paula at Steelhaven that we can just take care of in a bridge post and then we do the lunch meeting in a parralell scene. If you write up a post about what Tane will be doing for the rest of the time up until the battle, I will write up a post getting him into the action and also write up an intro for the meeting with the old woman.

I have played games pbp for a long time and i usually see every scene in a post, so that anyone that knows that can follow up can just jump in. It makes for more organized game, i think. I don't have much time in my days so all in one post kills me, because before posting i got to read maybe 3 pages worth of other people's postings that i don't know for sure if have anything to do with me.
But, at the same time, Anja here is doing the heavy lifting so i will tag along what she says. After all she takes the time to copy all things concerning tane in a post for me. She's such a Sweetheart! *brings her cake*

Aww thank you. Well like I said it takes just a few seconds to copy paste posts into your thread so that is not a big problem.

Let me tell you why this happens, because you deal with my shit and deserve explanation: I organize a tabletop roleplaying club on sundays or saturdays and have 2 gaming groups the other day of the weekends, sometimes also fridays, and i work with educational workshops with youngsters in the week, and i'm unemployed so i work in little day by day works so sometimes i got a lot to do all day and go out of home aroung 8 in the morning and come back around 9 or 10 at night, so i simply got no energy to write here, or maybe i'm not inspired and don't know what to do so i don't post.
That's when i'm at home, anyway, but i usually am not at home 3 - 4 days a week and outside i don't often have the time to come and post.
So, that's why this happens. I will try to be more active and keep it up this year as i love the game and i'd like to know more intimatelly the other playing characters, but i have to say that my disappearences can happen again. I also never say "i'm not posting for a week" or anything because most of the time it's not that i decide to do it, but i procrastinate it until a time that i have more energy or inspiration or ideas or whatever, and that moment never arrives XD

Not a problem, and I can arrange for more scenes where Tane will interact with the other characters for parallel scenes, let us say he have a conversation with Adley then I can just continue a new scene with Adley while the scene between him and Tane can take as long as it wish. There is no post requirement here I just try to arrange it so that everyone have something to do at the speed they are posting in.

I've another idea, maybe it would help: Why don't we put a code over every scene? I mean, Anja does that at her post for everyone, calling their name and then writing for them. Why don't we all do it? something like this:

Post starts:

[Bus back to tane's] Query for permission (Tane and NPCs)
Talking to morgan, bla bla bla, al that scene

[Tane's] A moment of rest (Tane and NPCs]
Doing whatever at the scene

[Steelhaven, node] Strike Brieffing (Adley, Colin, Tane, NPCs)
Talking to everyone else

End of scene

I can do that, so I just use the square like brackets? So for example when I go to reply to Jeremy's new post when I am done here I for example write.

[Jeremy] Babysitting in Rosa's room.

And then write the post like usual right?

You warm my heart with your kindness

Sorry por the long post, here is a magick potato

Oh it is not problem. Also magickal potatoes always makes everything better.

'Syncing up' - Hell, RL happens. I've had a few times where I've been missing for a few days and I've had to do this, and a couple of times I've found doing *that* all too much and had to ask Anja to do it for me.

True but the times one of my original players at least have fallen behind for some reason my impression is that they would have wanted to complete the scenes their characters are in, and play through the plans they have rather than fast forwarding things to sych up if at all possible, off course this is just my impression of things.

'Everything in one thread' - I was partly talking about my personal experiences, but also of my general experiences that I've seen places where the 'slower' posters in effect got utterly crowded out by the 'faster' ones. Which I feel is inherently unfair; mere quantity does not automatically equal quality. In fact, some of my best RP'ing experiences ever were with the 'slow' ones.

How is in unfair if you see more posts from those who post more on a page, no that do not mean their posts are better, but nor is there a problem there is more of them this is not a movie where the actor who are seen the most wins and with these brackets suggjested and with threads like the one Tane have it is possible to avoid the problem of a slower player having to read though allot of posts that do not apply to their character. I see all the posts so no one is getting drowned out, all IC posts are replied to.

Lastly, I would mention that yes, while this system worked perfectly fine before - but that was with 3 PC's, yeah?. We are now at 5. If we get up to 6 [or more!] the system *might* crack under the strain.

If we get allot more players there will be allot of posts and I would probably need a Bta GM to keep up but I would still prefer to make threads for players so they can keep track on what posts are directed towards their characters there than to split the threads becaus ein my experience keeping any sort of track of former threads and posts when you split them is chaos. If you have one thread per scene there will be so many threads it is impossible to keep track of them and it will be hard to find out just where something where mentioned and it will make it harder to copy and archive the threads, if one split the threads after location then it will also be hard to figure out where a scene took place as with this system I have always experienced trouble with knowing exactly where a scene should be placed, and if one split out social scenes then I feel the point of the game get lost. Combat and the action stuff is not the real game and then the social parts are just the unimportant fluff, it is the social stuff where characters develop where we learn more about them and where they from friendships that are important and it is those parts that make the combat fun at least for me for then I care about these characters so I do not want to split the social parts out of the main thread.

'Posting rate' - I am a shift-worker, so at times there's a few days I can only post once, and others that I can't post at all. Occasionally, there's times which while I can physically post, my mind is like wet cement and can't produce anything to post. And every now and then I'm on a night-shift, meaning for much of the 'day' I'm actually getting to know my duvet better.

Said posting rate will be naturally slower due to mere physical time-zones; it's hard for ST's to respond to posts 'quickly' at their 4AM, for obvious reasons. Having played several games with American-based ST's, I get this 100%.

Your posting rate is fine. I try to get three to five posts in a day, sometimes I manage more, sometimes less it depend on the length of them. I mean I can do allot fo two minute one paragraph posts while when where is allot fo reply to so each post might take me one and a half hour to reply to I can not make allot of those in the day and it depends what I am doing that day. I think your posting rate is very good and you should not feel any pressure to post more.

What do you think about the framing idea?

I like it.

I like the idea of using a code-tag - it might even negate having to make Tane his own thread since anyone will be able to use the search function through each page. For simplicity sake it could just be the characters involved in brackets so you can search the page for the bracketed name (that way the search won't jump to every section someone's name is mentioned). Then the place and/or time, depending if characters are in more than one spot/time so you could search for that if you wanted. It's up to the GM ofc but it might save some time if we can get used to it, plus keep everything in one thread so maybe it will be a great compromise.

I like the idea of using the character and place and time that will make it easier to search in the logs as well when I am looking for what that NPC is called. Like I have forgotten Theodora's last name but been to busy to find it. I know she was introduced in the hospital caffeteria scene with Colin, Freddy and Dr Wong, just to take an example.

It seems like it would make best sense for Tane to possibly be dealing with the mall entry if the player wants to, since we haven't said who is on that team, just that they got a tip off about the trapmaker. That's an important part of the fight : )

Yeah because then he can just post at a speed comfortable for him, be part of the battle and not worry about holding anyone up, that works for me, I have a list of who is on the team but I can add Tane, Coawa and the fluff balls to that list, well other than Dino, I got plans for Dino so he will be a scout.

Well then I will go and get a IC post in.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:36 pm

- I've learned to be flexible in such things, yes there's things I'd *like* to do/cover - but if there isn't enough RL time to cover this, okay I don't mind. After all it's *troupe* play, not solo which means there's some give-take going on.

- Slower players being drowned out. Let's say for example players A-D are producing a 'plan of attack'. If players A & B post fast, they can end up dominating the conversation which means C has minimal imput and D [the slowest] gets hardly any. Which means in this case, D may find themselves playing something which they don't overly wish to.

One of the things I like about here is that this has not happened here [touch wood]. But it could theoretically could.

- Keeping track of threads. I, as a player or ST very rarely have this problem. For I use the notification emails that a thread has been replied to as a kind of 'to do list'. Once I've replied to one, the email is deleted.

Though this does rely on having a email account which is only used for this, so it's not drowned out by the other emails.

- While the 'everything in one thread' style has it's advantages, it does have the disadvantage that it makes it much harder to read *as a story* after the event. Thing is, I actually do enjoy reading those at times.

[Note: I'm not continuing to press this point or anything - I am happy enough with the current system. Merely pointing out, well the points].
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:54 pm

- I've learned to be flexible in such things, yes there's things I'd *like* to do/cover - but if there isn't enough RL time to cover this, okay I don't mind. After all it's *troupe* play, not solo which means there's some give-take going on.

I would not want to sacrefice a good sceen to get someone caught up quicker. I think it is better to let the scenes played out and get a bit delayed or play the sceen from earlier and the new caught up scene parallel to one another.

- Slower players being drowned out. Let's say for example players A-D are producing a 'plan of attack'. If players A & B post fast, they can end up dominating the conversation which means C has minimal imput and D [the slowest] gets hardly any. Which means in this case, D may find themselves playing something which they don't overly wish to.

This would be covered under the house rules of moving into thing being turn based so everyone in the scene having to reply before the first player respond again, so if you feel a particular scene is moving to quickly just ask everyone to slow down. Also this would not be different if we split things into several threads as here you are talking about a problem in a scene that would happen in the same thread. Just ask the others to slow down and post the way we generally do for combat.

One of the things I like about here is that this has not happened here [touch wood]. But it could theoretically could.

It could but that is why we discussed how to do it if we are in a scene with several players and everyone is involved in planning or combat, just as the ones in the scene with you to slow down if need be and let you respond before they respond again, this have happened for combat a few times and have usually worked well.

- Keeping track of threads. I, as a player or ST very rarely have this problem. For I use the notification emails that a thread has been replied to as a kind of 'to do list'. Once I've replied to one, the email is deleted.

Being notifided a thread have been replied to, not a problem, checking back to a post that where made two years ago to double check which shoulder an NPC where injured in that is a problem, when all in in one thread all I need is to know ca what scene it was mentioned in, find the correct thread and search.

- While the 'everything in one thread' style has it's advantages, it does have the disadvantage that it makes it much harder to read *as a story* after the event. Thing is, I actually do enjoy reading those at times.

I disagree that it makes it harder to read as a story, I think many threads make it mucher harder to read as a story than one thread as I do not need to search for bits of said story over a multitude of threads, in all the games I have been that have had location threads or scene threads reading up and getting a complete image of what have happened before have been rather chaotic. If ou prefer to read it scene for scene though feel free to copy paste posts into thread or scene archives if you so wish.

Any posting formats have advantages and disadvantages but I feel that with all in one thread it is rather easy to fix the disadvantages.

I am happy to readyour points of view.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tane Karyak Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Yeah the characters have become budy busy critters. Oh and just post when you can I will just arrange it so that you can post when you can and if it takes a bit of time it do not hold up anything so no problem.
We all started off at the same point and they got 3 times the posts! I have seen it!

Aww thank you. Well like I said it takes just a few seconds to copy paste posts into your thread so that is not a big problem.

No, but you do it because you care, that's the important thing.

I can do that, so I just use the square like brackets? So for example when I go to reply to Jeremy's new post when I am done here I for example write.

[Jeremy] Babysitting in Rosa's room.

And then write the post like usual right?
Yap, we need to agree on a code and what info we want in this heads up, but it's essencialy it.

I like the idea of using the character and place and time that will make it easier to search in the logs as well when I am looking for what that NPC is called. Like I have forgotten Theodora's last name but been to busy to find it. I know she was introduced in the hospital caffeteria scene with Colin, Freddy and Dr Wong, just to take an example.

It just happened to me with the female werewolf when i had to present myself to the old lady, so i feel you XD

I've learned to be flexible in such things, yes there's things I'd *like* to do/cover - but if there isn't enough RL time to cover this, okay I don't mind. After all it's *troupe* play, not solo which means there's some give-take going on.

I like the feeling that we don't have enough time to get everything done. It makes the chars feel more human: doesn't it happen to you that you sometimes don't have enough time in your day?

While the 'everything in one thread' style has it's advantages, it does have the disadvantage that it makes it much harder to read *as a story* after the event. Thing is, I actually do enjoy reading those at times.

I do too and that's why i appreciate the last summary at every thread.

OK, so, we have decided to:
-I'm going with the second strike team, along with flufballs.
-We are adding a code to every scene, as to know what is what.
-We are all playing happily.

To do:
-Kill nephandi! YEY!
-Decide what the code should look like
-Cleanse, purge, kill! For the emperor!
-Tea with granny Flufball. Bring pastries.
Tane Karyak
Tane Karyak

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Little thought.

Wouldn't it be easier to instead of having Anja have to 'stamp' every post with location and time, wouldn't it be easier to simply create a standalone 'PC location/time' post somewhere, sticky it and we can simply look at that instead?
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tane Karyak Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:54 am

Don't get your idea
Tane Karyak
Tane Karyak

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:20 am

In her last post, Anja placed a time/location 'stamp' at the start of each PC's post, like this:

[Tane] (At Tane's hut talking with the shapeshifters. Time: 10 in the morning.)

As she also did this in the post before, I am going on a limb here to assume she intends to do this every time.

My thought is instead of doing this, instead Anja creates say a single post titled [for example] 'PC time/location'. Which would read:

Tane: At his hut talking with the shapeshifters. 10AM
Serge: Rosa's room at Steelhaven. 2PM
Nicole: Boston Labyrinth with rest of First Strike Team. 2PM.

and so on.

If it's [again, example!] stickied in the IC thread, it'll always be on top, just above the current IC thread.

It means that instead of having to type out time/location for every post, Anja can merely change the 'Time/Location' thread only when the situation changes.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:14 am

negates the advantage of it all scenes being in one post but easy to navigate to - it's easier for me to keep up on copying everything for archiving instead of keeping track of separate scenes in their own thread.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Tane Karyak Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:32 am

Remember that this would make It harder for her to find in her way of finding thing and also, It i'm in more than one scene It has to be done more than once
Tane Karyak
Tane Karyak

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 am

Plus, then the way we've been doing XP will have to be thought out differently too, since for now we've been acquiring some as we go to a new thread. But if people who post less frequently have to wait to hit the max on their thread or until they end their scene, they may actually get XP less frequently than they do now and the people that post more could end up stacking XP more frequently or the same rate, which isn't necessarily fair or desirable. So that too would have to be reconsidered.

Unless you're still meaning to keep it all in one thread still but use the titles and I'm misunderstanding?

Last edited by s7trif3 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : *added a sentence)

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next