Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downtime planning thread.

+2
Warpmind
Anja Rebekka Schultze
6 posters

Page 11 of 28 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 28  Next

Go down

Downtime planning thread. - Page 11 Empty Re: Downtime planning thread.

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:34 am

Serge did manage to get her sworn testimony yes and it was witnessed.

Yes she was used by one of the strike teams to be a Paradox bomb for the Nephandi and then she and her charge vanished into the Deep Umbra.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 am

Oh, good.

Colin would have been disappointed if she were to be executed. As would Amadeus, I expect.
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:38 am

Amadeus would not be happy so she was accidentally given her friend and a basket of food to hold and then everyone was just to busy with the Nephandi,
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:26 am

- Paradigma: It's easy to miss; at the bottom of p35, a 2012 'apocalypse edition' announcing 'in the 12 years since the destruction of our Paris offices...' Only mention that I know of. It's not surprising; Paris *was* the place of founding of the Engineers, and the location of the largest Etherite 'Chantry' on Earth, the Great Hall [along it's Horizon variant]. Perhaps it's here? Solves both 'on Horizon' and 'in Paris' parts.

Oh, and don't forget Gernsback Continium. There's gotta be an office here. If anything else, to report on the goings-on there.

- Bianca: Think she wouldn't be happy about Nicole's fairly untactful and forceful 'no, you are wrong' regarding vaccines - esp if she found out Nick gave Colin a few pointers to assist in his debate. Plus, the knowledge that she's got Enhancements would have leaked out by now. In other news, is she the one who did the rooftop garden?

- Is Nicole's garage workshop fully functional now?

- Oh, is it possible to have a post detailing what 'facilities' are in the Chantry, exactly?

- Martha: Hmm... doesn't ring a bell. Is this before my time?
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:15 am

Then the main office have to have been in Paris all along. I am pretty sure there is a office on Horizon though, as you say it is the hub of Traditionalist activity, it is like with the state owned news channel NRK it's main office is in Oslo but there are offices in most major cities. So let us say the main office for the Paradigma is in Paris but there is an office on Horizon as well so I don't have to retcon things. Nice find though.

Bianca is the one who did the rooftop garden. She would probably not mind Nicole's arm much, she sigh have why on earth would you do that to yourself attitude but she would not really mind, that she sided with Colin against her to that she is still angry about.

Yes the garage is up and working.

Sure I can do that.

Yes Martha is before your time she was Abigail's favored apprentice who was betrayed by Lisa Larson and her Avatar was shredded and spread over Mattapan. The characters got her out of the mental hospital she had been taken to afterwards to get information out of her.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:53 am

- Paradigma: WW were never ones to be consistent - even within the same edition. I've learned to never read too much into one comment. However, that one comment *does* tally with other comments here and there [such as one noting 'the German occupation in WWII made operations difficult'].

It also depends on what the magazine is actually like; all we know that it features reports of new Scientific experiments for further peer-reviewing. It doesn't take much of a leap to assume that it may also devote some space to say "Sleeper science worth noting" [even if it's just an abstract and points to another journal for details] which means it may also have 'regional offices' Earthside [Boston itself might host the N. American one, due to it's proximity to the Ivy League universities].

Lastly, it also raises the question on whether it's moved online yet - like other journals. I could easily see a .pdf version now being circulated - in fact they might have also digitised their whole back catalogue [all ~110 years worth] and sold together on a USB memory stick etc. [Would make sense; the more copies that abound, the lower the chance the Union would be able to make it vanish. Plus, a few might fall into Sleeper hands and cause Awakenings itself].

But as so often... merely thinking aloud, here.

- Bianca: I think she'll find the fact that Nicole uses the rooftop garden to drink at night annoying. And if possible, she'd try to move a couch up there to sit on. *smirks* Plus, Nicole's easily the type where the phrase 'stink of the Technocracy' can be applied...

- Rest. Thanks!
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:59 pm

It have mostly new scientific experiments and breakthroughs, it also have news from Awakened society, for example the news of Porthos' death was spread in the Paradigma, and sometimes rotes and the superstitious work of the other Traditions. At least that is the impression I have gotten from the little blurbs about it though the books.

I think the magazine are likely to be published in paper format due to how likely it is the union will get anything online though it is possible there is also a online version of it distributed with the help of the Virtual Adepts. Te back catalog probably have been digitized and if it is not online one can probably request copies, or perhaps sold as you say as a bundle on a USB stick, and yes a sleeper with the right background getting a copy of it might Awaken. There are so many old mages though I doubt they are PDF only.

Yes Bianca will not like Nicole drinking in her garden at night, she will not like that at all. Any couch moved up there would be removed, so no that do not make for a happy Verbena.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Porthos is dead? Since when?

It may have electronic versions; pdf's distributed via Sneakernet: aka USB sticks delivered by post/messenger. After all, we're finding in RL academia that electronic versions are simply better for search facilities... [you try 'searching' a pile of old magazines or microfiche].

Anchor the couch with bags of concrete inside so it can't be removed? *smirks*
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 pm

Porthos died in Revised. He's still alive in our game. Also, there's a map of the chantry, so you can see what's there and if there are empty rooms and etc - where the garage is etc. Colin's room is now in a different spot, because he swapped with Richard (wherever his room was).

Map - https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com/t68-map-of-steelhaven

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Was more interested in what exactly are the facilities currently offered by the Chantry. It helps to imagine the place and stir up creative juices, in my opinion.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Yes I was talking about in the metaplot in Revised as blowing up the Etherite holdings in Paris to would have happened in Revised and not in our game, we follow a 2 edition setting so Porthos is alive and well and insane. I was just mentioned that in the cannon his death was rappported on in the Paradigma.

There are one lab for chemistry and alchemy three ritual chambers, one Node, a common room and communal kitchen, and now also an infirmary, a small prayer/meditation room, a workshop, a indoors gaage and a small garden on the roof.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:33 am

- Has Nicole been working on the shuttle? At very least, remove the "in flight reading materials"...

- How did that paintball game go?

- While map is useful, it could be better. Plus, there's no description of things. Such as what's in the Library and Hobby Room? Where is the Garage, exactly? Is it at ground level or a basement?
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 am

It is up to you but yes I assume she have been working on the shuttle as that was part of the agreement to let her join the Chantry.

Rotating teams so that the more and less skilled members where moved around a bit, allot of fun and a gaggle of mages needing a wash when done. And pizza afterwards.

The garage is at ground level.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:56 am

Also I like the map that Strife made for us, it is far better than what I could do. I think it give a good idea of the inside of the Chantry.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:08 am

My 'complaint' is twofold; 1/ the key is not beside the map [meaning you have to scroll up-down the page to look] and 2/a lack of description for anything. Both fairly minor, and neither involve the map.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 am

Depictions have been made several times in game and I would nto say it is so much work to scroll down a little.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:20 pm

A description of [for example] the Library in IC #21 is almost completely useless. That's if there's anyone here who remembers what thread it's in. Forumotion's 'search' facility is rubbish. And key is around 6 full scrolls away from the map, which is [as I have discovered] 'far enough' for me to forget half the time.

If I'm literally the only person slightly bothered about this, I'll 'cease and desist'. This isn't a slight on anyone or any thing.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Then I am not completely sure what description you want it do not seam like anyone else have a problem with the descriptions of the locations in the game but I can write up a description of the rooms in the Chantry when I have the time I am not sure that will help you though for it is likely to be something like this:

The library is a large room with book cases on every wall and no windows, there are also three long shelves down the room which create narrow isles between books where one can walk and look for what one want to read. In one end of the room there is a small table and several chairs and near the door is a book stand with a large book where one would record what books one borrow and return. The room smell of dust and ink.

I am not sure what other sort of description you want.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:15 pm

I think what might be more useful than the current map solution would be to have a simple set of annotations on the maps themselves.

Each room being clearly marked as "Ritual chamber", "Node chamber", "Garage", "Security Office", et cetera.

That sound about right, Nicole?
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm

They are marked the problem is that it is hard to get enough room to write on the maps and she have to scroll down to read what is just marked with letters.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Merely having the each floor key below the relevant map would make it easier to use, rather than on a complete separate post. Better than Warp's solution, as it means the images don't need to be edited.

As for the descriptions; thing is everyone has a different mental image of 'library' - along with so many other things. And I've learned from [sometimes] bitter experience to never assume. Here's one I did earlier...

Elysium library, Norwich.

Image of room.

'Around a third of the size of the public one; around a thousand volumes, categorised by topic. Fairly well stocked in both non-fiction and fiction, though the first is mainly general interest and the second around twenty years behind current trends. Side table contains some magazines and most recent newspapers. Cabinet in corner contains a stock of maps, as well as works of reference. Artwork: mainly hunting / livestock in oils.'

With this, everyone knows what I'm imagining, and I can simply say 'in the library' without having to do any description of it [as it's already been done]. And I've noticed that these descriptions actually inspire players and scenes.

In this game's example, is the collection neat or cluttered? What topics does it cover? [and more importantly, what doesn't it cover?]. Is there any computers, Wi-fi? Is it the last place in Boston still using index cards? Do they get in any magazines/newspapers for people to read?

No, it is not needed. But nor is the maps Strife did - I played through the whole 'Chantry attack' without even knowing they exist. In fact, there's many things that aren't technically needed; like even descriptions of characters. But... imagine a Harry Potter where nobody or anywhere was described? You don't need to know the Great Hall's ceiling is enchanted to show the sky outside, that Vernon Dursley is heavy and with a moustache or that Hagrid has a hairy brown suit - they add nothing to the story. But they do add to the scenery.

As I've said before, this is nothing to worry about. But I feel the 'scenery' of the game would be improved with it.
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:35 pm

I think it is perfectly fine if everyone have a slightly different mental image of a room and to be honest your description do not really give me any more uniform iea of what it look like than mine do, for example a public library can be of any size from tiny ones to ones that fill several buildings. Mine where no less detailed in a description and I would think most should be able to see for themselves generally what such a room is like. I have not had any complaints as to how detailed my descriptions are from any other player and it seams a bit that with you every thing I do is wrong.

In the scenes in the libraries it ave been said that almost all the books are either of an occult nature or books such as languages and history with a few exceptions and they are organized by topic. There are no computers as what was in the library where described the only furniture are shelves and some chairs, a table and a book stand for the record book. Magazines have never been mentioned but other than perhaps some occult ones no there are none, this is not a public library it is the occult library for a Chantry so no index cards you just write up what book you borrow and when.

I think I have described Steelhaven pretty well and detailed.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Great One, I don't mean it like that whatsoever ['...and it seams a bit that with you every thing I do is wrong']. I didn't say it was wrong, merely that I was finding it a bit difficult on one aspect. Which is, as I've pointed out earlier 'fairly minor'.

It's merely an idea, nothing more or less. I raised it, you asked for clarification on it, I did so, you state you don't feel it is needed/adds anything, case closed. And I'm sorry if it appears like I was deliberately being picky, looking for reasons to complain etc. 'Cos I wasn't.

In other news; does the XP award at the end of IC #31 an extra one over the 5 we got on Saturday?
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm

The thing is I do not see that your description is more detailed than mine. I did not mention magazines since it is an occult library it should be clear there are none there other than perhaps about the occult and then they would be with the books on the shelves. It seams more that you are used to one way to do descriptions and then expect everyone to do them the same way.

Yes the three exp for the thread is separate I give two exps per thread and an extra one for long thread or threads where something exceptional happened so they are in addition.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adley Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:07 pm

I added the key to the map I made, I could not add whole words into the map areas since that would cover the map too much. I used a huge file to make it and added a writing layer on top as the last one, and sadly when I upgraded to my new computer I no longer have access to all those programs with any ease (my PC is in storage).

I haven't had any issues with what the place looks like, most of the time any time we're introduced to an area we've not been before or a person we've not met yet we get descriptions. Writing a description of every area of the chantry is a huge endeavor, and would take hours to do.

Adley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 28 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 28  Next