Chantry Steelhaven Hall-Boston Mage PBP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Shuttle, Corrupted Guards and Dragon-IC Thread 57

4 posters

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Go down

The Shuttle, Corrupted Guards and Dragon-IC Thread 57 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Shuttle, Corrupted Guards and Dragon-IC Thread 57

Post by Warpmind Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:10 pm

[Umbrial Port, Later]
Nicole wrote:'Spam attack, surprise attack, wail on head with hammer, groin kick, tear throat out, disembowel you, electrocute you, wedge a blade inbetween your vertebrae...' she mused. 'You need to be lucky repeatedly. Me, only once. Or p'haps twice.'
Jeremy wrote:"And here I thought you were interested in learning about my magick. How silly of me." Serge said with a chuckle and then a sigh, "At least those attacks are little more interesting than just shooting me with a gun. I would recommend double tapping the body though. Cause you know what they say. Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer."
Anja wrote:"You would be surprised just how lucky a person can get with magick Miss Bouchard, or how unlucky one's enemy can get."
Amadeus said with a chuckle.
"I have seen someone take a swing at someone with Entropy, over balance, fall and knock themselves out on the way down."
Nicole wrote:'Jeez... what do you people think I trained at - some Mundie facility?' she replied, a little exasperated.
Anja wrote:"Perish the thought."
Amadeus said.
"I am just saying that do not discount your young Cabalmate's magick just because it is more subtle."
Colin chuckled softly, "No, Sleeper military groups are far less dismissive of luck, whether coincidental or deliberately created... I believe there is a pithy quote on the matter attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte."

Jeremy wrote:"Your not alone. Most don't see themselves as a character let alone a main character. Most just follow the story wherever it leads them. That's how we have the world we have now. A mixture of billions of story threads all weaving together with each other creating a rather chaotic world where anything can happen." Serge said. "Being a main character isn't necessarily a good thing. Bad things can happen to main characters. Good things can happen to the main character. The person who decides that would be the author. And I like to think of magick as the realization that you are the author of your story and simply writing what you want to happen in the world."
Anja wrote:"Is there not a danger in such a Paradigm Mr Yager that it can lead to hubris, if you are the main character, and everyone else are just there to support your story, to help or hinder you to make your path more interesting, is it not then easy to become selfish and not see the value in others since they are just side characters?"
Amadeus asked and he raised and eyebrow as he regarded Serge.
He nodded, "That is one danger... another is when someone else's story is stronger than your own."

Jeremy wrote:"Still need to read the Discworld series. You'd think I would've be read those by now given how popular they are." Serge mused, "I do know bits and pieces about them though. Like apparently Death is a pretty cool dude."
Anja wrote:"I will see if I can get the time to get around to the books you mentioned Colin."
Beatrice replied.
He smiled, "Say the word, I'll see if I can't find the best reading order... Hum, I think perhaps starting with the Witches for Beatrice, and The Watch or Death for Serge?"

Nicole wrote:'What, you think I was somehow missing when we ran into that despair squid on the ship? Or them intruders on the upper floor on my first day?' giving a glare towards Colin.
He shook his head, "The despair... thing was a different beast, I think, just made everything seem futile, wasn't it? The particular troublesome spirit I am speaking of was... ghastly in a different manner, making your own mind revisit every choice you'd made, and pointing out how it was a wrong choice... regardless of whether it worked out for the better or not. Not saying you've not had a few nasty such fights, just that against that particular bit of nastiness you'd... probably be as susceptible as myself. Regret is a terrable weapon..."

Nicole wrote:'Yeah... 'cos a lot of the people on the planes and shit which don't make it home don't survive to tell people about it.' the Etherite shot back. 'Or if it ain't fatal, people don't talk about it 'cos it's boring. Exceptions don't make rules.'
He shrugged, "Survivorship bias is indeed a thing... but you can still learn from the ones that came back regarding what worked out, as well as what did not affect the outcome."

[Shuttle]
Nicole wrote:'What, Miles buys into that... stuff too?' she replied, giving a frown to what appeared to be an elderly suitcase. She'd thought better of the guy to fall prey to such mystic claptrap...

'Nah, all done now. Well, as good as.' straightening out and almost banging her head on one of the bulkheads. 'Well, as long as Colin don't have to do some fancy flying...'
Anja wrote:"I am not sure what Mr Miles ideas about Avatars are but I...I guess I don't just want to be the girl who was almost..."
Beatrice fell silent and shivered.
"Ok...I think Colin can fly the shuttle pretty evenly."
She said with a weak smile trying to think of something other than her own problems.
Nicole wrote:A moment's silence. Then the Etherite moved over to the girl and crouched down so it could be more private. 'Know what you mean. Well, sorta. Grew up in a little town, me; the kind where everybody knows everything 'bout others? All knew little Nicky, my family, our private stuff...' 'well on the whole' she added mentally '-always judging me on that all the time. Even when you do do something good, it's all the "well done you!" looking-down on you crud. You just want to be you, but nobody else seems to want that.'
Anja wrote:"Yeah I appreciate all the kindness but I wish the others would just start treating me like before..."
Beatrice said as she looked up at Nicole.
"I don't know I mean I needed help for months but I am better now and yeah..."
She whispered.
"Not that I don't appreciate their concern I just want things to...go back to normal you know."
He gave Nicole a small smile, and turned away, as if filing something away mentally, "I'm fairly sure I won't need to perform an Immelmann turn... I think the shuttle could handle it, but I genuinely don't expect anything more unsettling than a simple helicopter flight from A to B, with no turbulence of significance."

Nicole wrote:'Hmm? Yeah, large entity screwing up local traffic. Not hostile, just getting in the way. [Air traffic] Control will fill you in.' she replied, eyeing up the two arrivals with a little bit of interest.
He nodded, "Sounds good, something to look out for, at least. Very well, ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts, and place your trays in the upright position. There will be no smoking during the flight, so please avoid aggravating the shuttle's owner. We'll be departing for Concordia as soon as the tower clears us for departure."

Getting into the pilot's seat, he flicked switches and pressed buttons, and connected a discman to the shuttle's speaker system before calling up the tower, "This is Morgan's shuttle to Control, ready to depart for Concordia. We clear?"
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

The Shuttle, Corrupted Guards and Dragon-IC Thread 57 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Shuttle, Corrupted Guards and Dragon-IC Thread 57

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:55 pm

[Umbrial Port, Later]

Colin wrote:He smiled, "Say the word, I'll see if I can't find the best reading order... Hum, I think perhaps starting with the Witches for Beatrice, and The Watch or Death for Serge?"

"Heard good things about Small Gods as well. Just pick one out randomly for me. Part of the reason I never started the series is cause I always agonized over where to start."

Anja wrote:"Is there not a danger in such a Paradigm Mr Yager that it can lead to hubris, if you are the main character, and everyone else are just there to support your story, to help or hinder you to make your path more interesting, is it not then easy to become selfish and not see the value in others since they are just side characters?"
Amadeus asked and he raised and eyebrow as he regarded Serge.
Colin wrote:He nodded, "That is one danger... another is when someone else's story is stronger than your own."

"We're mages. Avoiding hubris is like our bread and butter. After all power invites hubris. All forms of power that is, be it wealth, tech or fireballs. And we mages are pretty powerful." Serge said.

[Shuttle]

Anja wrote:"So ever been to Horizon before kid?"
Aton asked as he settled down in his seat.

"Nope. This'll be my first. Excited...well as excited as I can be." Serge replied, "How about you? You visit often or is it your first time as well?"
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:23 am

[Umbrial Port, Later]

Colin chuckled softly, "No, Sleeper military groups are far less dismissive of luck, whether coincidental or deliberately created... I believe there is a pithy quote on the matter attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte."

Jeffry raised an eyebrow at that.

He nodded, "That is one danger... another is when someone else's story is stronger than your own."

"Indeed so Mr Wainwright."
Amadeus agreed.

He smiled, "Say the word, I'll see if I can't find the best reading order... Hum, I think perhaps starting with the Witches for Beatrice, and The Watch or Death for Serge?"

"I will give one book a try Colin since they mean so much to you but I ahve to admit that the reason why the Discworld series have never ended up higher on my reading list is that while it is full of social commentary and interesting observation it is wrapped into silly comedy and when I read fantasy I tend to prefer more serious stories."
Beatrice said politely.

He gave Nicole a small smile, and turned away, as if filing something away mentally, "I'm fairly sure I won't need to perform an Immelmann turn... I think the shuttle could handle it, but I genuinely don't expect anything more unsettling than a simple helicopter flight from A to B, with no turbulence of significance."

"That is good to hear."
Amadeus muttered as he to gave Nicole a grateful nod as he strapped into his seat.

He nodded, "Sounds good, something to look out for, at least. Very well, ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts, and place your trays in the upright position. There will be no smoking during the flight, so please avoid aggravating the shuttle's owner. We'll be departing for Concordia as soon as the tower clears us for departure."

Getting into the pilot's seat, he flicked switches and pressed buttons, and connected a discman to the shuttle's speaker system before calling up the tower, "This is Morgan's shuttle to Control, ready to depart for Concordia. We clear?"

The two guests as well as Beatrice and the Hermetics strapped in. You quickly got a reply from the flight tower.
"Master Jeffry Amaris Morgan's shuttle, this is the Boston Umbral Tower you are cleared to leave, be aware a large but not hostile Umbrood have been seen in the area, not hostirle but large enough to be a problem is you run into it."
A pleasant female voice replied over the radio.

"We're mages. Avoiding hubris is like our bread and butter. After all power invites hubris. All forms of power that is, be it wealth, tech or fireballs. And we mages are pretty powerful." Serge said.

"That we are in danger of developing hubris young man do not mean we are any better at avoiding it, most just get better at lying to themselves. Hubris have taken down more good mages than the Union, remember that child."
Amadeus replied sternly.

"Nope. This'll be my first. Excited...well as excited as I can be." Serge replied, "How about you? You visit often or is it your first time as well?"

"I have been a couple of times, you should check out the Museum of Technological Wonders, it show the history of technomagick though the ages...oh and there is a hotel where you can sleep on a cloud, that is one to check out as well."
Aton replied with a grin.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:13 pm

[Umbrial Port, Later]

Colin's Post:

Nicole shook her head to this. 'You simply don't get it...'

[Shuttle]

Anja's Post:

'But it can't go back. People talk and can't like forget. Also, the you of then ain't the you of now either. Weren't like normal before either, were you?'

Anja's Post:

'Worcester? Not the same place as that Flavian?' she replied.

Anja's Post:

'Well, you can't fly in to Dearborn no more; we lost that 'couple of year back. Think the Iterators closed their training facility at Mercy [College] too. They've finally started levelling the Brewster and most importantly, Jacoby's [Bar] got a refurb.' she continued, finishing securing the luggage.

Anja's Post:

'Yeah, combat loss. And I'm his “proof of work” for the project; fully-functional custom limbs which don't cost more than a new car and take ages to craft by skilled hands. No offense.' she added, glancing at Aton's arm.

[From the sounds of it, cross-Tradition testing would simply be fulfilling of standard criteria, picked off a list like our own exams. Part of the problem for Orphans etc might simply be finding a senior who'd actually test you.]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:42 pm

[Umbrial Port, Later]
Anja wrote:Jeffry raised an eyebrow at that.
Colin grinned, "I believe he's supposed to have said 'I don't care if he's good, I asked if he's lucky!', which is indeed a concern Sleeper militaries have. It would seem Miss Bouchard's teachers have neglected this topic."

Nicole wrote:Nicole shook her head to this. 'You simply don't get it...'
He frowned, "Perhaps we are speaking at cross-purposes..."

Anja wrote:"I will give one book a try Colin since they mean so much to you but I ahve to admit that the reason why the Discworld series have never ended up higher on my reading list is that while it is full of social commentary and interesting observation it is wrapped into silly comedy and when I read fantasy I tend to prefer more serious stories."
Beatrice said politely.
He nodded, "I believe you'll like the Witches books... Keep in mind the comedy is very British; it's a sharp and clever type compared to American humour. Well, except Nanny Ogg's fondness for double and triple entendres."

Jeremy wrote:"Heard good things about Small Gods as well. Just pick one out randomly for me. Part of the reason I never started the series is cause I always agonized over where to start."
He grinned, "Hm, there are a few recommended reading orders... Pyramids and Small Gods first it is."

Jeremy wrote:"We're mages. Avoiding hubris is like our bread and butter. After all power invites hubris. All forms of power that is, be it wealth, tech or fireballs. And we mages are pretty powerful." Serge said.
Anja wrote:"That we are in danger of developing hubris young man do not mean we are any better at avoiding it, most just get better at lying to themselves. Hubris have taken down more good mages than the Union, remember that child."
Amadeus replied sternly.
He frowned, "The Traditions have more trouble with hubris than a collection of Greek Tragedies... with comparable results, even. Be wary of the assumption that Mages have any advantage whatsoever in overcoming it."

[Shuttle]
Anja wrote:The two guests as well as Beatrice and the Hermetics strapped in. You quickly got a reply from the flight tower.
"Master Jeffry Amaris Morgan's shuttle, this is the Boston Umbral Tower you are cleared to leave, be aware a large but not hostile Umbrood have been seen in the area, not hostirle but large enough to be a problem is you run into it."
A pleasant female voice replied over the radio.
He replied, "Much obliged. I'd already been warned of the chap, I'll do my best to steer clear. Wouldn't be polite to bump into them on the way, right? Morgan's shuttle, out and departing."

Tapping the discman with a soft giggle, he got the shuttle in motion as the music began playing over the shuttle's interior speakers.

((OOC: Indeed, finding a senior Mage willing to give an Orphan the time of day for a witnessed examination is a major obstacle for Orphans - but the basic testing is very much based on the simple criteria of "can the Mage do things on this tier of power?"))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:45 pm

[Shuttle]

But it can't go back. People talk and can't like forget. Also, the you of then ain't the you of now either. Weren't like normal before either, were you?'

"Well I was a Widderslainte but very few at Steelhaven knew, not that I tried to hide it I just did not announce it. After the initial shock I think most a the Chantry have handled that very well though since I don't tend do go around being super creepy all the time."
Beatrice said with a sigh.
"But other mages...I was cast out of my first Chantry when they found out."

'Worcester? Not the same place as that Flavian?' she replied.

"Same city but not the same Chantry, we are from a Technomancer Chantry, Copper Bolt, it is under a electronics shop by the same name. We took the name from Frakenstein, the films not the book."
Jac explained.

'Well, you can't fly in to Dearborn no more; we lost that 'couple of year back. Think the Iterators closed their training facility at Mercy [College] too. They've finally started levelling the Brewster and most importantly, Jacoby's [Bar] got a refurb.' she continued, finishing securing the luggage.

"Damn Iterators, but Dry Dock itself is still going strong right?"
Jac asked.
"Also do Jacoby's still have those little green drinks, the ones that will mess you up?"

'Yeah, combat loss. And I'm his “proof of work” for the project; fully-functional custom limbs which don't cost more than a new car and take ages to craft by skilled hands. No offense.' she added, glancing at Aton's arm.

"Interesting, well your arm can pass, mine while I looks great can not, and producing fast to manufacture, practical augments and replacements will help allot of pepole. For me I was born lacking a hand so I built one and a arm to match and traiend my mind to use it."
Aton said and he patted his artificial arm.
"I am getting a eye and some sensors to my feet which will better balance when I am on Horizon though, so that will be the first work I have done I have not made myself."

Colin grinned, "I believe he's supposed to have said 'I don't care if he's good, I asked if he's lucky!', which is indeed a concern Sleeper militaries have. It would seem Miss Bouchard's teachers have neglected this topic."

"Sounds sensible enough Mr Wainwright."
Jeffry said with a nod.
"Though skill matters as well."

He nodded, "I believe you'll like the Witches books... Keep in mind the comedy is very British; it's a sharp and clever type compared to American humour. Well, except Nanny Ogg's fondness for double and triple entendres."

"I will give the book a try like I promised Colin."
Beatrice said but she sounded a bit doubtful.

He frowned, "The Traditions have more trouble with hubris than a collection of Greek Tragedies... with comparable results, even. Be wary of the assumption that Mages have any advantage whatsoever in overcoming it."

The two Masters in the room nodded their agreements to that.
"Listen to your Cabal leader in this Mr Yager this is important unless you want to end up as everybody's problem."
Jeffry commented.

He replied, "Much obliged. I'd already been warned of the chap, I'll do my best to steer clear. Wouldn't be polite to bump into them on the way, right? Morgan's shuttle, out and departing."

Tapping the discman with a soft giggle, he got the shuttle in motion as the music began playing over the shuttle's interior speakers.

The shuttle handled smoothly, there was controls for taking the ship out into other layers of the Umbra, there was a little shaking and bumping as the engines bully engaged but mostly it was a smooth ride.

(OOC: Can I have a roll to get the ship safely out into the middle Umbra.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:55 pm

[Shuttle]
Anja wrote:"Sounds sensible enough Mr Wainwright."
Jeffry said with a nod.
"Though skill matters as well."
Colin nodded, "Skill is important, certainly, but knowing when you have to compensate for stupid luck helps a lot."

Anja wrote:The shuttle handled smoothly, there was controls for taking the ship out into other layers of the Umbra, there was a little shaking and bumping as the engines bully engaged but mostly it was a smooth ride.
He patted the console, and with a slight smirk aimed at Nicole, he whispered, "C'mon, girl, we've got this."

((OOC: Dex+Pilot Umbra Ship: 2,5,8,9,0. Looks like clear skies and smooth sailing.))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:06 pm

[Shuttle]

Colin nodded, "Skill is important, certainly, but knowing when you have to compensate for stupid luck helps a lot."

"The problem is that unless you use magick you can not really predict dumb luck, it happens but you can not rely on it so then it boils down to skill."
Jeffry replied.

He patted the console, and with a slight smirk aimed at Nicole, he whispered, "C'mon, girl, we've got this."

You moved the ship out of the Umbra docks and out into a wast field of stars, purple and green bands floating in the space, where and there was things, pockets of forests, cities and signposts. In the distance you saw something huge, manta ray like which moved slowly. Reality was less hard and fast here but up was still up and down was still down, you were in the middle Umbra.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:01 pm

[Umbrial Port, Later]

Colin's Post:

'Luck favours those who favour themselves.' she curtly retorted, removing the final locks on the shuttle so it could take off...

[Shuttle]

Anja's Post:

'Meant more the fact you were in a Chantry before that. How “normal” are we talking about here?' the Etherite replied. 'But point is... I don't really have an answer for you. Every situation is like, unique. But I do know what not to do; and that's to spend all your time thinking “if that just went away, everything else would be great”. If nothing else, no point considering stuff which you know cannot happen.'

'But better do my job now. Otherwise we ain't going nowheres...' she replied, moving into the cockpit and getting into the co-pilot's seat as Colin was talking to Control over the radio...

Colin's Post:

'Oh, for fuck's sake...' she muttered, rolling her eyes. 'Why don't you focus on getting this baby onto the taxiway, or were you planning to simply fly through the roof of the hangar?'

[In Flight]

Colin's Post:

'I wonder if I can wire the console frame to the main battery...' she mused in a faux-whisper. 'You gonna be boring and simply head out over the [Massachusetts] Bay or give everyone a cool fly over Boston first?'

Anja's Post:

'How fucking huge is that thing?' she replied, gazing at the large blob on the radar screen. 'Oh yeah, losing Boston transmitter strength.'

Anja's Post:

'That your way of asking if it's quit shrinking?' she quipped, giving him a look, leaning on bulkhead by the main engine. 'But my guess is yes. For the same reason as why the Iterators pulled out.'

Anja's Post:

'Nah, them got banned by the liquor board, 'bout the same time as smoking in bars. Got the recipe, though.'

Anja's Post:

'Well, visual pass – just a silicone skin with dazzle camo, really. Not so much an option unless you're willing to get your other arm inked up.' Nicole replied, showing her fellow her two palms – the only part devoid of ink and possibly able to tell the difference between the two. 'As for the other bit... well, you can hear Baynes do his pitch later. “Let's fuck over the Syndicate with their 100k proprietary models with vendor lock-in” is a big bit of it.'

[I can imagine that most of the time, it's generally expected for a person to find a senior in their own Tradition to test them.]

[I took a liberty and transferred some of the discussion bits to after take-off.]

[How are they going to get to Horizon? The book suggests only designated portals work.]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:38 pm

[Shuttle]
Anja wrote:"The problem is that unless you use magick you can not really predict dumb luck, it happens but you can not rely on it so then it boils down to skill."
Jeffry replied.
Nicole wrote:'Luck favours those who favour themselves.' she curtly retorted, removing the final locks on the shuttle so it could take off...
Colin nodded, "True enough, but knowing the enemy's history of good or bad luck is as useful as knowing their actual skill."

Nicole wrote:'Oh, for fuck's sake...' she muttered, rolling her eyes. 'Why don't you focus on getting this baby onto the taxiway, or were you planning to simply fly through the roof of the hangar?'
He grinned slyly, "Oh, we're flying out the hangar doors. Well, hovering slightly, at any rate. And then we're translating to deeper shadows."

[In Flight]
Nicole wrote:'I wonder if I can wire the console frame to the main battery...' she mused in a faux-whisper. 'You gonna be boring and simply head out over the [Massachusetts] Bay or give everyone a cool fly over Boston first?'
He arched an eyebrow, "Alas, neither - you're thinking in only three dimensions. Well, four, counting time. This shuttle traverses a lot more than mere spacetime."

Anja wrote:You moved the ship out of the Umbra docks and out into a wast field of stars, purple and green bands floating in the space, where and there was things, pockets of forests, cities and signposts. In the distance you saw something huge, manta ray like which moved slowly. Reality was less hard and fast here but up was still up and down was still down, you were in the middle Umbra.
Nicole wrote:'How fucking huge is that thing?' she replied, gazing at the large blob on the radar screen. 'Oh yeah, losing Boston transmitter strength.'
He looked outside and unplugged the discman as the CD track came to an end, and tapped the intercom, "This is your Captain speaking, we're now in the Mid-Umbra, and the flight looks to be quite pleasant, provided we don't accidentally upset the rather large Umbrood in the distance... Master Morgan, if you'd like to give an assessment of our neighbour here? And Serge, you'll want to see the view here."

((OOC: The designated portals are the easiest, but costliest way, as I understand it - finding paths through the Umbra is slower, but cheaper, and about as safe as the portals. Until the Avatar Storm hits, of course, when the latter option is the only way with a non-zero success rate... But going unshielded - i.e. not on board an Umbra ship - is very unsafe and unhealthy.))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:40 am

[In Flight]

Colin's Post:

'No, I know you can do a flyover before taking the extra altitude. And at some point them in the back will realise that.' she replied  with a sly smirk.

[If we go with what the White Wolf Wiki says, it would appear they have all been in the 'Middle Umbra' since they arrived at the Port. Plus, the Iterators were complaining the manta ray was making a Boston approach difficult, which suggests it's pretty close. However, I shall quite grant that the upper atmospheric reaches of it shall be 'odder', partly due to people's imaginations etc. As for portals... the nearest is some 230 miles away in New Jersey. It's also conveniently owned by the Etherites - it's quite possible it's large enough for ships. Therefore, it's quite possible to fly south-west in the Middle Umbrial echo of North America, mainly following the coast. Would also allow the passengers to get Umbrial views of not just Boston, but perhaps other major cities like Providence, Hartford, New York etc. Let us remember this would involve at least one character getting a look of their 'hometown' in a way only a Corax would have seen.]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:52 am

[Umbrial Port, Later]

Anja wrote:"I will give one book a try Colin since they mean so much to you but I ahve to admit that the reason why the Discworld series have never ended up higher on my reading list is that while it is full of social commentary and interesting observation it is wrapped into silly comedy and when I read fantasy I tend to prefer more serious stories."
Beatrice said politely.

Serge was shocked and horrified by that statement but didn't say anything and managed to keep his face neutral to hide his bewilderment.

Anja wrote:"That we are in danger of developing hubris young man do not mean we are any better at avoiding it, most just get better at lying to themselves. Hubris have taken down more good mages than the Union, remember that child."
Amadeus replied sternly.
Colin wrote:He frowned, "The Traditions have more trouble with hubris than a collection of Greek Tragedies... with comparable results, even. Be wary of the assumption that Mages have any advantage whatsoever in overcoming it."
Anja wrote:The two Masters in the room nodded their agreements to that.
"Listen to your Cabal leader in this Mr Yager this is important unless you want to end up as everybody's problem."
Jeffry commented.

"I know and I will. Just wanted to point out that my paradigm isn't anything special when it comes to attracting hubris. To be a mage is to be bombarded by it."

[Shuttle]

Anja wrote:"I have been a couple of times, you should check out the Museum of Technological Wonders, it show the history of technomagick though the ages...oh and there is a hotel where you can sleep on a cloud, that is one to check out as well."
Aton replied with a grin.

"Ooooh that's definitely going on the list! Do they let you try out some of those wonders? I've always wanted to fire a fancy old-timey lightning guns. Serge said getting excited.
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:23 am

[Shuttle]

Colin nodded, "True enough, but knowing the enemy's history of good or bad luck is as useful as knowing their actual skill."

"There I disagree Mr Wainwright since luck is a fickle thing, unless someone have the skill to manipulate it then it is not a factor the same way skill is, we create our own luck."
Jeffry replied firmly.

He looked outside and unplugged the discman as the CD track came to an end, and tapped the intercom, "This is your Captain speaking, we're now in the Mid-Umbra, and the flight looks to be quite pleasant, provided we don't accidentally upset the rather large Umbrood in the distance... Master Morgan, if you'd like to give an assessment of our neighbour here? And Serge, you'll want to see the view here."

"Hum...I have encountered such Umbral manta rays before, they tend to be gentle giants but they are powerful, that thing there is just a baby, they grow much larger the further from manifest reality you get."
Jeffry said as he looked out the window.
"Let us try not to attract it's attention."

"I know and I will. Just wanted to point out that my paradigm isn't anything special when it comes to attracting hubris. To be a mage is to be bombarded by it."

"There is quite a difference Mr Yeager between having a Paradigm that put you as the main character, the one the very plot revolve around and everyone else are just there to provide plot arcs for you and for example having the belief that you are here to serve others and to do so spiritual beings grant you the ability to heal, yes both might lead to hubris but one is more likely to do so than the other."
Amadeus replied raising an eyebrow.
"You literary believe the rest of us are just here to be interesting characters in YOUR story, that is something would believe is already hubris."

"Ooooh that's definitely going on the list! Do they let you try out some of those wonders? I've always wanted to fire a fancy old-timey lightning guns. Serge said getting excited.

"I can let you try mine kid, under safe conditions at a shooting range off course."
Aton said then he pointed out the window.
"I do believe you will find the view interesting though young man.

(OOC: It have been stated again and again the Umbra Port is in the PEN UMBRA the shadow of the physical world that is why it have so many similarities to what is there in the same space in manifestered reality.

If a thing hindered one ship from entering the Umbra Port for a few days do not mean it will have remained in the same location forever also the Technomancer ship did eventually get to land so clearely it moved but the Umbrood is still howering nearby.

Now if you think you could refrain from complaining, trying to poke hole at and backseat GM at every turn for every thing I would be very much obliged.)

(OOC 2: There are portals up to Horizon called the Ways you need premission to pass them which take allot of red tape. The realm is warded so unless you are a resident like Cita just teleporting in will not work. I do believe the ways portal owned by the Etherites are big enough for ships, you still need permission to use it.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:41 pm

[Shuttle]
Anja wrote:"There I disagree Mr Wainwright since luck is a fickle thing, unless someone have the skill to manipulate it then it is not a factor the same way skill is, we create our own luck."
Jeffry replied firmly.
Colin nodded, "Absolutely. But knowing the history of an adversary will give you an indicator of their ability to manipulate luck - whether by Awakened or Linear Magic."

Jeremy wrote:"I know and I will. Just wanted to point out that my paradigm isn't anything special when it comes to attracting hubris. To be a mage is to be bombarded by it."
Anja wrote:"There is quite a difference Mr Yeager between having a Paradigm that put you as the main character, the one the very plot revolve around and everyone else are just there to provide plot arcs for you and for example having the belief that you are here to serve others and to do so spiritual beings grant you the ability to heal, yes both might lead to hubris but one is more likely to do so than the other."
"You literary believe the rest of us are just here to be interesting characters in YOUR story, that is something would believe is already hubris."
He nodded, "It is a very dangerous notion, that you're the main character of the story... That way Madness lies."

[In Flight]
Nicole wrote:'No, I know you can do a flyover before taking the extra altitude. And at some point them in the back will realise that.' she replied with a sly smirk.
He arched an eyebrow, "You are aware we're in the shade of Boston, not in Boston proper, right? At best, they'd see representations of landmarks, like a castle where Steelhaven Hall is standing, and so on, rather than the real-world physical locations..."

Anja wrote:"Hum...I have encountered such Umbral manta rays before, they tend to be gentle giants but they are powerful, that thing there is just a baby, they grow much larger the further from manifest reality you get."
"Let us try not to attract it's attention."
He nodded, "Agreed. So that's just a baby, is it? Serge, the offer to come up and have a look still stands, the skyscape is... surreal."
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:18 pm

[Shuttle]

Colin nodded, "Absolutely. But knowing the history of an adversary will give you an indicator of their ability to manipulate luck - whether by Awakened or Linear Magic."

"Well I guess that if an enemy have consistent amazing luck it would indicate some sort of supernatural ability and that would be useful to know then again that would be straight up knowing the person's skill."
Jeffry replied.

He nodded, "It is a very dangerous notion, that you're the main character of the story... That way Madness lies."

"I guess it depend on how Serge looks at it Colin, if he sees it as in this whole world exist just for him, it is the setting for his story and we all exist as props for the story then I agree that is a notion that could quickly get out of hand. But it is possible to see oneself as the main character in one's own story, and everyone else as the main character of theirs. For example both the novel series The Magicians by Lev Grossman and the anime series Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra have this concept for examples with libraries full of books depicting the lives of everyone with the person the book is about as the main character of that book, such a world view would be empowering but not that prone to hubris."
Beatrice chimed in.

He nodded, "Agreed. So that's just a baby, is it? Serge, the offer to come up and have a look still stands, the skyscape is... surreal."

"Yes adults are at least ten times that size, I don't think anyone know just how big they can get, though usually they live deep into the Deep Umbra, only the little ones ever visit other layers. They are not known to attack travelers but off course a swat of that tail would crush the shuttle."
Jeffry said as a small island with a single cottage drifted past the window, a little old lady standing outside the cottage waving at the passing shuttle before she continued to feed her three headed chickens.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:38 pm

[In Flight]

Colin's Post:

'Really? Well I never.' she replied sarcastically. 'Wouldn't be suggesting it if it was the normal, boring Boston to look at...'

[White Wolf has not been consistant, Great One. Some sources (like the Wiki) say that the 'Middle Umbra' is just another name for the Preumbra. Others have it as a distinct 'world'. Most of the sources don't actually answer either way. So not for the first time, you'll need to 'patch' the hole which I only pointed out and *was not created by either of us*. Which I have to ask in this case because it's a basic piece of 'Cosmology' knowledge and it's a topic of IC discussion. My 'patch' was offered as a possible option, that is all. I personally don't care what the answer is, as long as there is one for Nick to know.]

[The shuttle is carring persons summoned by the Council - I'd argue that Hastings/Spence could easily signal the ships managing access to the Edison - Horizon Way to allow them to jump the queue. If not that, Morgan could have pulled some strings to get priority access. Again, merely thoughts - take it, leave it or adapt it, I don't mind.]

[Just noticed... Warp, am I reading Colin's sheet right - that he doesn't have any Cosmology dots?]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:55 pm

[Shuttle]
Anja wrote:"I guess it depend on how Serge looks at it Colin, if he sees it as in this whole world exist just for him, it is the setting for his story and we all exist as props for the story then I agree that is a notion that could quickly get out of hand. But it is possible to see oneself as the main character in one's own story, and everyone else as the main character of theirs. For example both the novel series The Magicians by Lev Grossman and the anime series Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra have this concept for examples with libraries full of books depicting the lives of everyone with the person the book is about as the main character of that book, such a world view would be empowering but not that prone to hubris."
Beatrice chimed in.
Colin nodded, "Well, there is that distinction. But hubris is just one of the dangers we face..."

Nicole wrote:'Really? Well I never.' she replied sarcastically. 'Wouldn't be suggesting it if it was the normal, boring Boston to look at...'
He grinned, "Well, fair... Angle's not the best for departure, though, but the return trip can look quite astounding. Besides, we're in something of a rush to get there; should've been there days ago. Bloody Jace."

Anja wrote:"Yes adults are at least ten times that size, I don't think anyone know just how big they can get, though usually they live deep into the Deep Umbra, only the little ones ever visit other layers. They are not known to attack travelers but off course a swat of that tail would crush the shuttle."
Jeffry said as a small island with a single cottage drifted past the window, a little old lady standing outside the cottage waving at the passing shuttle before she continued to feed her three headed chickens.
He waved back to the little old lady, though she'd probably not see him directly, giving her a little showy swirl around the island before tracing a path to give the manta spirit a wide berth, "Well, no need to give it a reason or opportunity to swat at us."

((OOC: You did read that right. That's something that would indeed have been included in flight training. And there went the five XP he had...))
Warpmind
Warpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:14 pm

[In Flight]

Colin nodded, "Well, there is that distinction. But hubris is just one of the dangers we face..."

"That is very true."
Beatrice agreed.

He waved back to the little old lady, though she'd probably not see him directly, giving her a little showy swirl around the island before tracing a path to give the manta spirit a wide berth, "Well, no need to give it a reason or opportunity to swat at us."

The little old lady giggled as she watched the shuttle fly around then went back to feeding her three headed birds. Jeffry nodded.
"Agreed keep up clear of the Umbrood Mr Wainwright."

(OOC: From the start Mage have had the Penumbra as a thing, as a membrane between the deeper layers and the Gauntlet so you are inteprenting thigns wrong here and I am not going to spend hours defending my view on that just to nip this in the bud.

Also in the future all nitpicking that is not actually forgotteing the name of a character or some continuty error will be simply ignored, if I have the characters find a 7 11 to get a hot dog and you find out that actually there are no 7 11s on that street corner such things are completely irrelevant to the story and will in the future be ingored.

The same will things like the nitpicking about this Umbrood, which had moved, I do not have the time to justify every single thing I do in the game to you. If there is an actual continuty error in the game, then by all emans pointt hat out but the game world not 100 percent matching the real world, you not approving of some system the Traditions ahve or a money usit or the color of the curtains at Lux iternis dinner hall and all other such things will be ignored.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Bouchard Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:44 pm

[In Flight]

Warp's Post:

'Would help divert minds from that, though.' she mused.

[What the hell, Great One? Not trying to make it 'like the real world', don't actually care about the ray, really are not looking to 'get you' or anything and last thing I want to do is 'backseat ST'. Quite literally, the only question was 'is what is commonly called the Preumbra the same as the 'Middle Umbra' or is it a seperate location?' Which I shall point out is a legitimate question for a Cosmology roll. And despite our history over these five years, the main issue is misunderstandings in communication, not differences of opinion (and even when there is, it's mainly minor in issue). But, if you'd like me to stop thinking about stuff out of 'direct, immediate relevance' of this game and to not point out OOC holes (left by WW, not you) before they actually hit us and causing IC ruck-ups... well fine by me.]

[You also missed https://chantrysteelhaven.forumotion.com/t273p25-the-shuttle-corrupted-guards-and-dragon-ic-thread-57#47202 ]
Nicole Bouchard
Nicole Bouchard

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:00 pm

(OOC: Ah sorry I missed your post I will reply to it and the others that will be posted tonight tomorrow as I have just finished playing D&D and it have been a long day and I am pretty tired.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:10 am

[Umbrial Port, Later]

Luck favours those who favour themselves.' she curtly retorted, removing the final locks on the shuttle so it could take off...

"Agreed."
Jeffry said with a nod.
"There is such a thing as dumb luck and magick can generate it, however much of what is seen as luck are actually skill and experience."

Meant more the fact you were in a Chantry before that. How “normal” are we talking about here?' the Etherite replied. 'But point is... I don't really have an answer for you. Every situation is like, unique. But I do know what not to do; and that's to spend all your time thinking “if that just went away, everything else would be great”. If nothing else, no point considering stuff which you know cannot happen.'

'But better do my job now. Otherwise we ain't going nowheres...' she replied, moving into the cockpit and getting into the co-pilot's seat as Colin was talking to Control over the radio...

Beatrice looked down for a moment and chewed her lip as she considered Nicole's words and she nodded.
"Thank you Nick, yeah you better tend to the shuttle but nice talking to you, thank you for the advice."
The young Verbena offered a warm smile and Amadeus gave a slight, approving nod in Nicole's direction.

How fucking huge is that thing?' she replied, gazing at the large blob on the radar screen. 'Oh yeah, losing Boston transmitter strength.'

"A couple of football fields."
Jeffry replied.
"They somehow are born from the remaining strands of reality you find out in the deep and they grow huge."

That your way of asking if it's quit shrinking?' she quipped, giving him a look, leaning on bulkhead by the main engine. 'But my guess is yes. For the same reason as why the Iterators pulled out.'

"That is a shame, it was a power for our Tradition once I hate to see it in decline."
Jac said with a sigh.

'Nah, them got banned by the liquor board, 'bout the same time as smoking in bars. Got the recipe, though.'

"Ohh...want to trade for it, you could cleanse an car engine with that shit but it sure hit the spot."
Jac asked perking up.

'Well, visual pass – just a silicone skin with dazzle camo, really. Not so much an option unless you're willing to get your other arm inked up.' Nicole replied, showing her fellow her two palms – the only part devoid of ink and possibly able to tell the difference between the two. 'As for the other bit... well, you can hear Baynes do his pitch later. “Let's fuck over the Syndicate with their 100k proprietary models with vendor lock-in” is a big bit of it.'

The two cyborgs carefully inspected your palms and nodded.
"Well unless you know what you are looking for that will pass."
Aton said.
"Speaking of witch have you seen Dr Bloomfast's work on synth skin? it was in the last issue of the Paradigma, it looks really promising, she will be presenting it at the conference."
Jac asked.
"She grows it in an egg solution I believe."

(OOC: Yes a senior of your own Tradition would be preferable and necessary for in Tradition progression but technically anyone can check the benchmarks so to speak. I mean that is all the Sphere system is, a communal lingo so that mages will know what others are talking about, so that when a Verbena say they work with wind magick and is Disciple of Forces the Cultist at her side will know what she is talking about, the Spheres is not how mages in their own Paradigms look at their magick, it is just a rating system.)

(OOC 2: There are several examples of the books of pepole going to Horizon in ships and there are planetary defenses and an extensive Umbra port so it is possible to get there in ship, you can only teleport in though the portals though.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:18 am

[Shuttle]

Anja wrote:"There is quite a difference Mr Yeager between having a Paradigm that put you as the main character, the one the very plot revolve around and everyone else are just there to provide plot arcs for you and for example having the belief that you are here to serve others and to do so spiritual beings grant you the ability to heal, yes both might lead to hubris but one is more likely to do so than the other."
Colin wrote:He nodded, "It is a very dangerous notion, that you're the main character of the story... That way Madness lies."
Anja wrote:"I guess it depend on how Serge looks at it Colin, if he sees it as in this whole world exist just for him, it is the setting for his story and we all exist as props for the story then I agree that is a notion that could quickly get out of hand. But it is possible to see oneself as the main character in one's own story, and everyone else as the main character of theirs. For example both the novel series The Magicians by Lev Grossman and the anime series Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra have this concept for examples with libraries full of books depicting the lives of everyone with the person the book is about as the main character of that book, such a world view would be empowering but not that prone to hubris."
Beatrice chimed in.
Colin wrote:Colin nodded, "Well, there is that distinction. But hubris is just one of the dangers we face..."

"Bee's got my back." Serge said gratefully. "Now's not the time for extreme in depth philosophical discussion into the nature of how I do magick. But needless to say, it's a lot more nuanced than you guys give it credit. I've only really given you a barebones description. I'd be happy to explain it in greater detail...at a later date. But trust me, I'm no more in danger of succumbing to hubris than any of you are."

[In Flight]

Colin wrote:He looked outside and unplugged the discman as the CD track came to an end, and tapped the intercom, "This is your Captain speaking, we're now in the Mid-Umbra, and the flight looks to be quite pleasant, provided we don't accidentally upset the rather large Umbrood in the distance... Master Morgan, if you'd like to give an assessment of our neighbour here? And Serge, you'll want to see the view here.
Anja wrote:"I can let you try mine kid, under safe conditions at a shooting range off course."
Aton said then he pointed out the window.
"I do believe you will find the view interesting though young man.
Colin wrote:He nodded, "Agreed. So that's just a baby, is it? Serge, the offer to come up and have a look still stands, the skyscape is... surreal."

Serge, now finally hearing his name being called, perked up in the direction he heard it. Then, as Aton gestured to it, he finally looked out the window.

His widened at the majesty that he saw. The umbra in all its glory. He'd been there so few times. But this was different. The Umbra was always different every time you went. That's what made it special. That it wasn't as strict and hard as regular reality.

And then he finally saw it. The Umbral Manta Ray drifting across the umbral environment. He gawked at its majesty. At the sheer novelty of what he was seeing, before finally saying "Wait! When the hell did we start moving! I didn't even notice. I was too excited about shootting a lightning gun!"

He then immediately accepted Colin's distant offer and abandoned his new Etherite friend, making his way up to where his cabal leader stood in order to get a better view of his surroundings.
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:51 am

[Shuttle]

"Bee's got my back." Serge said gratefully. "Now's not the time for extreme in depth philosophical discussion into the nature of how I do magick. But needless to say, it's a lot more nuanced than you guys give it credit. I've only really given you a barebones description. I'd be happy to explain it in greater detail...at a later date. But trust me, I'm no more in danger of succumbing to hubris than any of you are."

"Very well you know yourself best kid but just be aware that hubris is a constant danger, for us all."
Amadeus replied. Beatrice gave a slight smile.
"Well I look forward to hearing more about your Paradigm later then Serge."
The young Verbena said.

Serge, now finally hearing his name being called, perked up in the direction he heard it. Then, as Aton gestured to it, he finally looked out the window.

His widened at the majesty that he saw. The umbra in all its glory. He'd been there so few times. But this was different. The Umbra was always different every time you went. That's what made it special. That it wasn't as strict and hard as regular reality.

And then he finally saw it. The Umbral Manta Ray drifting across the umbral environment. He gawked at its majesty. At the sheer novelty of what he was seeing, before finally saying "Wait! When the hell did we start moving! I didn't even notice. I was too excited about shootting a lightning gun!"

He then immediately accepted Colin's distant offer and abandoned his new Etherite friend, making his way up to where his cabal leader stood in order to get a better view of his surroundings.

"You know kid the landscape would be different if you was here alone, the Umbra is less rigid than our physical world, so I might see a majestic forest and a path to follow to my destination and a Technomacer might see space, it looks like this right now because we are here together so we see a bit of what we all expect."
Amadeus said as the looked out the window.
"And those islands, they are half formed realms, abandoned pocket realms and such, there will be less reality the deeper we do."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy Silverstein Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:19 am

[Shuttle]

Anja wrote:"You know kid the landscape would be different if you was here alone, the Umbra is less rigid than our physical world, so I might see a majestic forest and a path to follow to my destination and a Technomacer might see space, it looks like this right now because we are here together so we see a bit of what we all expect."
Amadeus said as the looked out the window.
"And those islands, they are half formed realms, abandoned pocket realms and such, there will be less reality the deeper we do."

"Abandoned pocket realms?" Serge said glancing over to the islands. "There's just vacant worlds out there? Who's making them? Or do they just form from human thought?"
Jeremy Silverstein
Jeremy Silverstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:14 am

[Shuttle]

"Abandoned pocket realms?" Serge said glancing over to the islands. "There's just vacant worlds out there? Who's making them? Or do they just form from human thought?"

"Some of them are just abandoned human idea, ideas that never reached full creation though you will find more of that further out, these are mostly actually created bits of pocket realms which are lo longer maintained or in use, as well as bits of the Penumbra to strong to just vanish but no longer attached to the Gauntlet."
"My own pocket realm would eventually be out there as well if I stopped maintaining it."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next